Funny what you find in old cook books

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Funny what you find in old cook books

Postby hickybank » July 11th, 2017, 2:53 pm

I bought an old cookbook from an antique shop some time ago, thumbing through the pages I came across some old magazine & newspaper clippings

The newspaper clipping gave information on the Abyssinian war + a Christmas pudding recipe.

You will see on the fruitcake page there is a coupon for a Mcdougalls recipe book.
I have one but am sorely tempted to fill it in & send it off 83 years late, it asks for a SAE with a 1/2 pence stamp attached :lol: :lol:

Image[/url]
Last edited by hickybank on July 12th, 2017, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Re: Funny what yuo find in old cook books

Postby Luca » July 11th, 2017, 3:26 pm

:lol:

After my mother died I inherited her cookbooks which of course also included her mother's cookbooks too. I found some hilarious cuttings and shopping lists slipped between various of them. I must look through them again at some stage. One handwritten note on a recipe cutting still makes me giggle......

"Do not serve to vicar!" As far as I remember it was for a home made wine! :lol:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Growing up I started collecting cookery books aged around 14. I remember thinking it was awful to write in cookery books or turn down the corners of any book. When my Nan died I had anything recipe related handed down to me. In amongst her bread pudding, stew and dumplings, cakes etc I found loads of hand written notes. It was wonderful reading them, and from then on I have done the same!
I have never found a note or inserted page from somewhere else, but hand written notes always make for interesting reading.
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2017, 6:13 pm

I remember someone having a real go at me for making a note on my own paperback cook book.
I don't get it, it's a cheap paperback, not a Gutenberg bible, and as a scientists I think tools (which recipe books are) work better when calibrated
I have found many clippings in old books, but often wondered why anyone would keep them, seldom as obviously useful as hicky's
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 12th, 2017, 6:43 am

So idiot that I am, I have filled out the form & will post today.
Heres what I wrote

Dear Sir/Madam
I do hope I am not too late for your recipe book offer ( see enclosed form) although 82 years seems a long time, to be fair there has been a world war, man has landed on the moon & England have won the world cup(thanks to three goals from Jeoff Hurst)(and Germanys second goal was a hand ball anyway) so I forgot all about it.
To be fair, you do not give a closing date & also, try as I might, I have been unable to find anywhere that sells the halfpenny stamp you ask for on the SAE.
I do hope you can still fulfil your kind offer & I can be the proud owner of a new cookbook.
I wait with bated breath for your reply

What do tou think my chances are :lol: :lol: :lol:
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2017, 7:12 am

Did you check to see who is at that address? Does it still exist? Hopefully someone with a sense of humour will get your note. I looked up Miss Peck but no results ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2017, 7:14 am

Not sure that number 5 still exists. There are offices/a cafe/estate agent on one side and new builds on the other.

But this is where it would have gone to:

https://islandhistory.wordpress.com/201 ... all-docks/
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 12th, 2017, 7:16 am

Well done, Hickey, let us know what happens.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 12th, 2017, 7:20 am

It is now owed by Premier foods so I have sent it to their head office, they also own Homepride & Bero

I will let you know if I get a reply
Herby, I looked up Mrs Peck & miss Durbar who is another name given on that sheet, like you unsurprisingly found nothing
hickybank
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 12th, 2017, 7:26 am

I think you will get a reply, and probably a box of goodies. I find that big firms are very good at responding to the quirky.

I had a ford car engine failure 12 months and two weeks after brand new purchase. I wrote a tongue in cheek letter about how the whole family drove fords, I was looking out of my window and all I can see is fords etc, made it funny, didn't ask for anything, acknowledged the car was out of warranty but said I was disappointed- result was that they paid for a new engine.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 7:36 am

Look forward to the update hicky! Good luck! If you are anything like me you would have been wetting yourself when writing it. :lol:

I once ate a packet of S&V peanuts, Mr Peanut brand, with a pint in the pub. Absolutely no flavour on them atall. I wrote a tongue in cheek letter to Mr Peanut himself regarding my loyalty to the brand and disappointment on this occasion. I got a mean cheque back to reimburse the cost of the nuts and postage. It was hardly worth banking. In fact I think I stuck it in my scrap book of memories! On another occasion I was chomping a bag of Kettle Chips at work, found a stone, chomped down and unexpectedly broke a tooth! I stuck the piece of tooth and stone onto a post it note and sent it off explaining what had happened. They wrote offering to pay for any dental treatment. I then had a note from the postman saying I had a parcel. It was a huge box of Kettle Chips! About a week later I got a duplicate of the letter and yet another box of Kettle Chips! Whoo! It's always worth complaining.
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Funny what you find in old cook books

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2017, 11:14 am

I'm sure you'll get something! It was the blackberry wine recipe that interested me - Tezza was only asking on another thread yesterday what she could do with blackberries!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 15th, 2017, 9:31 pm

The very mention of it is making ma want to Read Joanne Harris again...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 17th, 2017, 9:44 am

Boy am I kicking myself.
I visited the same antique shop on Sunday, it is about 40 miles from us in a small village, ( we were meeting friends for a meal.)

Browsing round I picked up a copy of Mrs Beetons cookbook, it was in very good condition & around 110 years old,
The lady was asking £25 for it & I knocked her down to £18 but as we were due to go for our meal I said I would pick it up on later.
When I went back she was closed :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The only reason i did not take it straight away was because it was a very thick book, I already had my camera to lug around & the pub is very small.
Lets hope it is there next time I visit
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 17th, 2017, 10:11 am

Maybe she could put it in the post. Depends on how much - and how cheaply - you want it I suppose.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 17th, 2017, 8:16 pm

We have an old Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook. There are a few bits & bobs among the pages.
I remember watching Farmhouse Kitchen on the tellybob as a kid.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 18th, 2017, 1:46 am

Herbidacious wrote:Maybe she could put it in the post. Depends on how much - and how cheaply - you want it I suppose.

I had thought of that although I haven't a clue as to its name or what the address is, I will be visiting again so perhaps keep my fingers crossed
hickybank
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 18th, 2017, 8:42 am

Grasshopper wrote:We have an old Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook. There are a few bits & bobs among the pages.
I remember watching Farmhouse Kitchen on the tellybob as a kid.

:bounce:
Grasshopper

I've got one that used to be my mothers. It is signed by Dorothy Sleighthome. I am assuming that Mum got it at an exhibition or somesuch place. Inside there are a numberof vouchers and some handwritten notes in Mum's handwriting. I regularly use a number of the recipes.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop