Recommend.Must see places/things to do in London

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Recommend.Must see places/things to do in London

Postby lancashire lass » July 12th, 2017, 7:01 pm

I have just been told I am going to London tomorrow for 4 nights staying in Covent garden,(surprise birthday treat) its ages since I was last in London, Its a long way from Lancashire :D I lurk on here a lot but feel now is a good time to contribute and jump in, am after some ideas please for must see tourist things and also good but not too expensive places to eat. oh its so exciting x Gill :chef: :scared: :hungry: :cocktail: :o :chops:
lancashire lass

Re: Recommend.Must see places/things to do in London

Postby Suelle » July 12th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Everyone who has been likes Brasserie Zedel for food that isn't expensive considering it's location in Piccadilly/Soho;
https://www.brasseriezedel.com/

Sightseeing is a different matter - so personal. Tate Modern, London Eye, Cutty Sark, Globe Theatre, sightseeing bus tour. The only place I would hesitate to recommend would be the British Museum - when we went in June it was really crowded, confusing to get around and so big it was overwhelming.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » July 12th, 2017, 9:03 pm

I second Brasserie Zedel. At this time of year it is always fun to take a visit to Southbank and walk along the river. Lots to see and sometimes sand sculptures on their sandy 'beach'. Covent Garden itself is fun with lots of street theatre, entertainers.

China town. Gerard's Corner restaurant (on said corner) do excellent value, delicious dim sum. Service isn't always great but food doesn't disappoint.

As Suelle says, what you may wish to see is subjective but Time Out often has good ideas

https://www.timeout.com/london/things-to-do

Have fun!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 12th, 2017, 9:23 pm

A walk along the River Thames is invaluable and enables you to take in the sights around any part of London but especially around Houses Of Parliament and Big Ben. I have emerged from the Underground so many times to see Big Ben and still gasp. Even in the pouring rain in flip flops! Avoid extortionate souvenir sellers, a bit like St Mark's Square, Venice. There are so many readers selling stuff for twice as much as you could get elsewhere if you really did want the tat in the first place.

National Gallery, Trafalgar Square is a lovely half day wandering around in the peaceful surroundings adoring beautiful art with a headphones or actual tour guide, entrance still free I believe. They have a wonderful coffee shop, if a tad expensive, but gorgeous cakes.

A wander around Borough Market, London Bridge is a must. Plenty of food to look at, sample, buy. The George pub opposite does sell good pub grub with a really bustling courtyard where you can do a bit of people and architecture watching. Plenty of other eateries just a few feet away from the edge of the market too including Roast which I think is situated right on the entrance of Borough. I think this is Lee's fave!

Greenwich Market? I am not sure what days of the week this is on, probably weekend. Lovely artisan stalls selling unique products. Lovely to gaze at but also buy if you can afford it. Just a lovely place.

Have you thought about a Rickshaw to a theatre? That is an experience in itself. I treated my partner once to a birthday treat to see The Mousetrap and kept it secret for months. Then we grabbed a Rickshaw and when I told the driver the name of the destination theatre to which he shouted over the noise of the traffic 'oh, Mousetrap eh?' Surprise ruined but a brilliant trip if a little scary!

There was / is the Emirates (I think) cable car over The Thames which looks very exciting although I have yet to do it.

If you are able to do a bit of a climb on foot up the top of St Paul's Cathedral is something to be experienced.

The London Eye at night.

Charring Cross Road for book shops.

North Finchley Long Lane for my favourite ever restaurant, Rani. Indian veggie.

My family herald from London but I am no expert so over to the experts who do live or visit London more than I do.

Can I come too? :lol:

Reports back please! :tu:
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 13th, 2017, 2:32 am

I`d start in Covent Garden, and just keep on walking. You could wander through Soho, China Town, up to Oxford Street, down Bond Street ( all those lovely expensive jewels!), toddle around Mayfair, wander along to the Houses of Parliament, stop in a pub or two...
If you want to try some really good Indian food, go to Masala Zone. Or Dishoom. Brilliant Thai food at Busaba Eathai. Lovely Vietnamese at Cay Tre. Or a visit to a 14th Century pub ( The Olde Cheshire Cheese) in Fleet Street.
Have fun!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby smitch » July 13th, 2017, 5:51 am

I agree that Dishoom is well worth a visit. Ottolenghi is great and the lunch is pretty good value. You can book a table at the Spitalfields branch.

We always visit Borough, although it is very busy on a Saturday. We also like Spitalfields market for a wander. Konditor & Cook make fab brownies. Maltby Street market has some great street food options too, plus a couple of gin places. Jensen's gin is lovely.

Many of the museums are free. So far we've been to the British Museum, which as others have said is very busy, the Science Museum, the V&A, the Natural History museum and the Museum of London. If you're travelling by train, check the 241 leaflet at the station or online as you can get some good deals on paid for attractions.
smitch
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 13th, 2017, 6:26 am

We have always enjoyed this place, just a step from Covent Garden. https://www.cafe-pacifico.com
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 13th, 2017, 7:15 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Have you thought about a Rickshaw to a theatre?

Please DON'T. They are illegal and keep featuring on local crime programmes because of ripping off tourists.

Brasserie Zedel has walk-ins so you might try and book and find it looks full but you can turn up on the day and get seated.

The Wahaca chain has seriously good Mexican street food although some branches have very loud music.

There are new security measures everywhere because of the terrorism thing so you may find around Westminster is different now. I would also recommend a river cruise. The Tate to Tate one is fun.

https://www.thamesclippers.com/sightsee ... te-to-tate

Borough is great and you also get to look at The Shard. You can go up it too for a price. (I was once there and there were some abseilers hanging off the side). :shock: :shock: :shock:

Let us know if you want anything specific.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 13th, 2017, 7:19 am

Is Pacifico still going, I remember visiting 20 years ago.

The Natural History Museum has changed its exhibition in the entrance hall as of today, it is now a whale skeleton not Dippy the Dinosaur in place. The V&A (my favourite museum) is next door, they have a new entrance.
Don't forget an Oyster Card for the buses/underground, you buy them at underground stations, buses are a great way of seeing London.

Remember, you are not a tourist, you are a visitor
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 13th, 2017, 7:42 am

Luca wrote:I second Brasserie Zedel. At this time of year it is always fun to take a visit to Southbank and walk along the river. Lots to see and sometimes sand sculptures on their sandy 'beach'. Covent Garden itself is fun with lots of street theatre, entertainers. China town. Gerard's Corner restaurant (on said corner) do excellent value, delicious dim sum. Service isn't always great but food doesn't disappoint.

Luca beat me to it ... I was going to say exactly the same thing. (great minds ;) )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 13th, 2017, 7:46 am

I have so enjoyed reading everyone's recommendations ... I have lived where I do (only 30 miles away as the crow flies ) for most of my life and I really must do some of things others have recommended .. :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby smitch » July 13th, 2017, 7:50 am

If you have a contactless credit or debit card, you don't need an Oyster card.

Also, cocktails at the Duck and Waffle are amazing. Expensive, but delicious and you get fab views of London.
smitch
Registered

Postby Hope » July 13th, 2017, 8:45 am

It really depends on what you like, but some of my favourites are: the V&A, the british museum (plus all the antique shops nearby), a walk along the thames, the Chelsea Physic Garden, Pollock's Toy Museum, the museum of Childhood, Tower Hamlets Cemetry Park (beautiful managed wildlife area),
Hope
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 13th, 2017, 9:09 am

Transport for London has a series of walking guides you can print and follow.
This is the western loop of The Jubilee Walkway

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/walking/wester ... his-page-0
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2017, 9:12 am

The Wildies gave us some fabulous suggestions for our golden wedding trip a couple of years ago. If you are that way inclined I would look out current exhibitions. We were very lucky and managed to get in 4 magnificent ones - all can be prebooked on line to ensure entry and avoid the inevitable queues.

If you fancy pushing the boat out foodwise I recommend lunch menus. One of our absolute favourites was Polled Street Social - here's the lunch menu:
http://pollenstreetsocial.com/wp-conten ... Menu-5.pdf.

Also loved the London Eye - again, book ahead and the whole of the South Bank atmosphere.

Have fun!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2017, 11:32 am

If you do Zedel, do the RA Summer Exhibition offer perhaps? It's an oddity but everyone should see it once
But you can't recommend for the whole of London, there's just to much, need to take prefernces and budget into account
As you are staying in Covent Garden Transport Museum, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery are all handy and worthwhile
British Museum is handy, I strongly recommend Hokusai but buying a timed ticket online first is essential, in fact that applies to most major exhibitions and attractions, especially in summer

But I've lived here 45 years, and I keep finding new things to see
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby lancashire lass » July 13th, 2017, 11:46 am

Wow I am blown away by all your responses thank you so much, We are just going for the Train now so I will spend the journey checking out all your ideas.
thanks again and I will report back. :mrgreen: :hug: :kneel: :luv: :wave:
lancashire lass

Postby Luca » July 13th, 2017, 11:48 am

Have a super time!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » July 13th, 2017, 11:57 am

when i go for a day trip to london, sue and i usually squeeze in two exhibitions. i suggest you plan your time well and don't expect to get to see more than two things properly, in a day, and if you're planning to lunch lavishly you cut your sightseeing time down further. i would prefer to see stuff and catch food where i could than spend time eating and missing out on the other gems that london has to offer.
the tower is an amazing place to visit but i doubt you'll see more than that in one day unless you rush through it.
the café in the british library is good and they may have a couple of exhibitions on but it is further away from some of the other sights you may want to see and not really touristy.
i think my suggestion for one day would be the tower and a trip on the london eye and then a lazy meal in the evening - and comfortable shoes.

ps. and maybe a trip to the british library on your way back to the train.
scullion
Registered

Postby smitch » July 13th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Tower of London and London Eye are both in the 241 with a train ticket deal: https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london
smitch
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 13th, 2017, 1:39 pm

scullion wrote:the café in the british library is good

There is also a room with a selection of their prize exhibits which is very good, and the corridor to the loos in the basement has some nice artwork. Also nice to see is St Pancras international next door for those who like railway stations.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 13th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Scully has beat me to it, her suggestions were just what i was going to say! It really depends what your interests are but I love visiting the British Library, both for the exhibits and the cafe and I visited The Tower of London for the first time when the poppy display was on and was blown away by it - I had had no idea what it was like inside the four walls and I loved it. If I go to the British Library I always like a walk round St Pancras station too.

I used to love going to special exhibitions at the British Museum but as others have said, it got silly and they allow far too many people in even on timed tickets so I would have to be really desperate to see something now. The rest of the museum is so huge it is more enjoyable just going to see one section of your choice than trying to traipse round everything.

I think a walk along the south bank from Westminster to Tower Bridge (with Borough market if you are on the right day) and a boat trip to Greenwich would be top of my list along with any exhibitions I wanted to see at galleries or the V&A or British Library and planned walks taking in shops and sights I wanted to see. There are certain bus routes which take you past many of the sights for a fraction of the price of a tourist bus - they are worth looking for!

Hope you have fun anyway, you're right in the thick of it at Covent Garden!
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop