silly property ad.

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

silly property ad.

Postby scullion » July 13th, 2017, 4:52 pm

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-p ... 01362.html

i'm wondering how much this will be reduced by or how long it'll stay on the market. there's no planning permission, it has a mineshaft with a special cap as a rare breed of bat used to (and still may) roost there but other than that, yes, it's in a beautiful valley, but it's a big pile of mine waste! it isn't level, at the roadside, with the field to the side of it and would take a long time to dig out enough to park your car let alone build anything - assuming that it's stable enough. i'm wondering if the estate agent - based up in essex, has actually been to see it or whether the owner has just plucked a figure, that he wants, out of the air and thinks that someone else upcountry will go for it. it looks ok on the satellite map but google stalk gives a slightly closer picture.
a lot of thin strips running down the other side of the road, next to the stream have already been sold. there's not a lot that could be done with them and access would be difficult without disrupting traffic on the, not overly wide, road.

ps. i would imagine the waste won't be allowed to be dumped down the shaft - if that's what you're thinking - lesser horse shoe bats may be more important than permission for that.
scullion
Registered

Re: silly property ad.

Postby Luca » July 13th, 2017, 4:58 pm

There will always be some sucker who will be taken in though.... It is very beautiful but would require unlimited deep pockets to do anything with I agree. Why on earth get an estate agent from Essex???

On sale for £58k..... nearest property in order to check market value.... £2,500,000 Guide Price, Porthtowan, Truro, Cornwall, Within 1 mile.

Quite a job keeping up with the neighbours then! :lol:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » July 13th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Looks an idyllic spot!! It's what Cornwall is all about when the holidays are over!! :D

The description carefully avoids talking about the site details and concentrates on the beach - which is over a mile away. I'm surprised the building over he shaft wasn't promoted as a potential lighthouse ;)

Maybe the slag will make good concrete?

Pic from Streetview...

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 18.11.35.png
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » July 13th, 2017, 11:50 pm

unfortunately the mine tailings make the worst concrete imaginable.
builders back in the twenties and thirties, through to the fifties thought the same as you, formed it into blocks and built loads of homes with it (including the poured foundations of ours). the problem is, the mine waste contains chemicals which cause the concrete, over time to become deliquescent and break down until you can poke your finger through the concrete quite easily. i think i've mentioned it before. its called mundic and any houses built of it are unmortgageable nowadays. there are a lot of them in this area. cash buyers only and little more than plot value. especially not good if it's part of a terrace.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2017, 6:05 am

They'll be showing it on Escape to the Country as a 'mystery project' next :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » July 18th, 2017, 3:52 pm

they've reduced the price by 4 grand and added some more plots further along the other side of the road. all on scrubland.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-p ... 01362.html
on the other side of the road from plot two, you can see on the arial photo, a field that has been mown, pathways in place and with a mobile home. this was sold either last year or the year before for twenty grand - with no planning permission. one of the newly advertised plots is heading for the price of a building plot with planning permission - £115,000!
i'm wondering who is buying these and whether there's going to be some deal done with the council. it'll be a travesty if planning permission is given - any further and they'll be getting into glow worm territory. they probably count it as a brownfield site seeing the bits for sale are mine waste scrubland but if the council can give planning permission to waitrose and a massive, grossly underused park and ride that obliterated a beautiful valley just outside of truro they can ruin any bit of countryside.
i may be getting angry for no reason but at those prices it seems a bit suspicious.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Is there someone you can flag it up to .......... raise an eyebrow at?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 18th, 2017, 4:03 pm

hmm, i may email george eustace, our mp, who for some reason seems to be a minister for the environment etc. make him work for his money, on my behalf!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 18th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Oooh yes, make him work over his summer break :bounce:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 18th, 2017, 5:46 pm

scullion wrote:unfortunately the mine tailings make the worst concrete imaginable.

Sorry, I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when I said that... :oops: I should have been a bit more open.

I'm a civil engineer by profession. I have worked in the south-west in my early career, and was involved with the other problem with high-alumina cement which was produced in Plymouth for many years and resulted in several concrete buildings failing. And I have relatives who have had their Cornish Unit houses repaired/rebuilt. They looked good in the 1950's when they were built.

We have also had the Cornish "sweating" problem in my great aunt's house when concrete and mortar was made with sea water. It absorbs water vapour from the air and stays damp for ages after a period of high humidity.

But most of my career was in pipelines, where we buried our mistakes... :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » July 19th, 2017, 11:05 am

i thought you were, as you have connections 'down 'ere', but i also thought that others might think you were being serious!

i've looked on the council website and there are no planning or pre planning applications for these sites. this is one time that i hope people have/will have bought a pig in a poke.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 20th, 2017, 11:25 am

hahaha - it's been reduced to £49,000 now. i wonder if someone has actually looked at what they're trying to sell.
will it go down further‽‽
scullion
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop