Foods - they don't make them like that anymore

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Foods - they don't make them like that anymore

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 13th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Growing up I loved a Fray Bento's pie. Better still a steak and kidney pudding. Yesterday a neighbour gave me two large Fay Bentos pies with puff pastry lids. He got them in 'homeless' food parcel but doesn't like them. I would never buy such a thing but gratefully accepted them. I cooked the chicken and mushroom one tonight served with leftover mash and baked beans. I peeled the lid off the pie in anticipation. The uncooked pie looked promising. Halfway through cooking it was looking good. Full time cooking it was massive! Until I delved into the pastry lid and it collapsed into a powdery mess revealing hardly any filling or sauce. The taste was very much under seasoned and bland. The chicken and mushroom pieces indecipherable from each other. What looked like a pie that could feed a whole family barely fed me. The next one gets loads of gravy.
I am sure I can think of many other foods nowhere near as nice as they were when I was growing up.
Over to you?
Last edited by TeresaFoodie on July 15th, 2017, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Foods - they don't make them like anymore

Postby Luca » July 13th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Bovril doesn't taste as rich as it used to. I rarely eat milk chocolate but had a Mars recently and it wasn't like I remembered. Radishes are not as peppery as I remember. I'm sure there are loads of others.
Luca
Global Moderator

Re: Foods - they don't make them like anymore

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2017, 6:36 am

I think we've mentioned here before that Fray Bentos steak pies taste much saltier than we remember. I now find them too salty to eat. Don't think we established whether or not they do contain more salt or whether we're just accustomed to food with a lower salt content.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop