Who's done Jury Service recently?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Who's done Jury Service recently?

Postby Pepper Pig » July 15th, 2017, 3:23 pm

I think I may have mentioned that I have been called for Jury Service at Harrow Crown Court next month. I was quite excited until a couple of my friends said that the judges can get very sniffy if you need the loo during the allotted trial time. :o :o :shock:

Anyone any experience of this? One of the friends said her bladder is so unreliable she actually bought incontinence knickers whilst she was serving . . . . . :o :o :o :o :o :o :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Who's done Jury Service recently?

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 15th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Not done jury service PP but have experience with incontinence knickers (when mum was alive, not for me I hasten to add) they cope with leaks,not floods :oops: I hope I never get called, when I need to go, I need to go :oops:

Second edit. I was called when I had mum here, I was given an exemption as a carer.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 15th, 2017, 3:44 pm

PP, I did write an account of my jury service experience on Chatterbox recently (after you mentioned you'd been called). Let me see if I can find it and cut & paste.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 15th, 2017, 3:45 pm

I think I might have missed that Sea. Sorry. :oops: :cry:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 15th, 2017, 3:45 pm

Found it!!

PP, I was called for jury service a couple of years ago and Mr S has also been on jury service. A few things to bear in mind:
- be prepared for a lot of sitting about. You may not be picked for a jury for several days (it was 2 days before I was picked and poor OH sat around for 12 days of the 14). Take plenty of reading material because you'll need it and unless you're luckier than I was the coffee machine will be out of order (or produce grim coffee, or both) so I'd take a flask and some emergency snacks if I were you.
- be prepared to feel about 5 years old again. You can't leave the waiting room unless/until given permission so no sneaking out for a bit of shopping. Even going to the loo can be a bit 0f a challenge. Once on a jury you're absolutely at the beck & call of the judge. You never know from one day to the next what time you'll be expected in court/what time you'll be kicked out.
- don't worry about the possibility of being involved in a trial that goes on for weeks on end. Most cases are scheduled for a few days or a week at most and if the case you're called for is scheduled to go on past the obligatory fortnight you're given the choice of opting out if picked.
- whilst sitting on a trial can be fascinating (I found it to be so anyway) it's surprising how draining and exhausting it can be. The realization that someone's life is to some degree in your hands is a far tougher and more difficult experience than I anticipated.
- at least a few of your fellow jury members will be (a) alarmingly thick, (b) xenophobic and/or (c) deranged. Others will be charming, intelligent, well-informed and on your wavelength. The retiring room discussions can be interesting.... ;)

Good luck! On the whole, I enjoyed jury service (I'm certainly glad I had the experience) and I hope it proves to be the same for you. :wave:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 15th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Many, many thanks Sea. Mwah, mwah. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 15th, 2017, 3:51 pm

Welcome! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 15th, 2017, 4:47 pm

I did it a few years ago and found that we were in and out of the courtroom several times in a morning and afternoon while the judge consulted in private. There are plenty of breaks and unless you have a real problem in not being able to last for a couple of hours at a time you will be fine. However if you do suffer from continence issues you could refuse to go on medical grounds.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 15th, 2017, 5:29 pm

I really don't other than via old age. But my friend had done the Jury Service at Harrow and said the officials were very unforgiving if you needed the loo.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop