Survival Kit !

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Survival Kit !

Postby Zosherooney » August 4th, 2017, 6:21 pm

There has been a severe 4+ hour traffic problem on the M5 today (local for us). Local news is showing people with kids dogs etc. in cars not having any liquid for this long time. This has posed the question.......

When you are planning a long journey by car or similar do you think about taking water, supplies, food, snacks. Warm clothes in winter, spade (for snow etc) ? Just for those situations when you might not be able to access items at a motorway service station.
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Survival Kit !

Postby Ratatouille » August 4th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Yes, always Zosh. Not that we travel any great distances by car these days, preferring the train. Anyone who goes anywhere without adequate water supplies, a clean pair of knickers and some energy bars as well as antibacterial wipes and tissues is nuts.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 4th, 2017, 6:32 pm

I have all of that in the back of my car (except the spade) all the time. But I am a terrible worrier.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 4th, 2017, 6:49 pm

Even the clean knickers? :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 4th, 2017, 6:54 pm

I can't drive anymore but when I did I always had bottled water, wipes and a cereal bar in the glove compartment and a large size empty takeaway cup. I added the cup after a friend got stuck due to snow on the M74 and ended up peeing in one and I thought what a good idea saves wet feet ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 4th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Always have a coat, blanket, wet wipes, spade ( we live in the sticks) in the car. If I was planning a long journey then I would include food and water, although the dogs water bottle is always full but it might not be fresh that day.

Good idea about the takeaway cup.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 4th, 2017, 7:33 pm

We always have a bottle of water. A sealed bottle is sterile, so could be useful for first aid too.

OH has a comprehensive kit including fluorescent jackets, and we almost always add waterproof coats for long journeys, whatever the weather, in case we have to wait on the hard shoulder for rescue services.

Never worried about clean knickers though!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » August 4th, 2017, 7:38 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Even the clean knickers? :lol:

Yep. 8-) 8-)

(I always carry a spare swimming kit bag). I'm not just a worrier, I am neurotic! :o :D
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 4th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Don't drive any more but when I did always had anything that was a legal requirement anywhere in the EU, so first aid kit hi-vis vest, spare bulbs etc.
Also a bottle of water and usually a cereal bar, always a blanket in the boot (mainly for packing)
As nearly all my driving was done inside the M25 I didn't feel I needed a spade
On the odd occasion when carrying kids, extra rations
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 4th, 2017, 9:10 pm

When I sold my car recently and cleared out the boot I was reminded how organised I was.

Get this.

Bottled water newly purchased for my consumption.
Bottled water that had been there goodness knows how long for engine consumption.
Screen wash.
De-icer.
Windscreen scraper.
Rain mac for when you get caught out in all weathers waiting for someone to help you change a tyre for example.
In the glove compartment:
Tissues
All of my previous tax discs for that vehicle
A smiley face tax disc sticky on the window holder
Peanuts
Chewing gum
A Shaun The Sheep key ring thing named Wooly Mer Mer who now happily nestles with a cactus I have

Most of these would obviously not have helped me survive! But I had water with me at all times so felt safe. :tu:
And AA coverage. Worth the peace of mind, especially if, like mine, comes with my bank account.
Keep safe folks!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 4th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Very interesting! Clean knickers ??????? :? :?

We are off to the West country next week and I will be taking 2 litres of water, some macadamia & cranberries (just because I have 3 packs), crisps, an umbrella, a cold box, some wine :D a plastic backed blanket for sitting on, shopping bags :D :D :rolleyes: sheets of kitchen roll. A car phone charger.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 4th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Very interesting! Clean knickers ??????? :? :?

Well you wouldn`t want to pack dirty ones, would you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No "rules" here, but a long journey always requires water, ice, snacks - and a spare tyre!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 5th, 2017, 6:44 am

I keep a wind/rain proof coat, boots, fluorescent vests, screen wash, deicer, chargers etc in the car as a matter of course. In winter there's a blanket and in snow there is a spade and flask of hot water. There is also a hard hat - but that's for work :). I travel to work and back nearly 50 miles on the motorway at odd hours and it can be quite bleak and empty sometimes. I usually have water and food just because it is in my bag but don't pack it especially. If I am going on a long journey I've usually got water and an apple. To be honest though, you can get caught up in traffic just when you thought you were going out for 5 minutes (it is often easier to go on the motorway from one side of town to the other here) and could easily get caught totally unprepared.

Yes, it's the need for the loo that's the worst thing in a long delay!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 5th, 2017, 9:35 am

Needing a wee when travelling is a worry for me as I have such an unreliable bladder! One winter just driving five or so miles from work to home in the evening I got caught in a horrid blizzard, thick ice, visibility severely reduced and stuck in a pile of traffic that wasn't moving had the urge. Nowhere to go other than a) my car seat or, b) a roadside bush I chose the latter. As it was winter I was wrapped up warm and wearing thick tights, so it was never going to be a quick or elegant job! When you've got to you've got to go, even if in the snow! :lol:
Has anyone any experience of those funnel things you can buy?
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 5th, 2017, 9:38 am

'She-Wee' they're called aren't they? A friend once bought me one as a joke but I never used it in anger. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 5th, 2017, 9:48 am

We once had a nastly experience on a French motorway when the driver of an HGV ahead of us threw out a plastic drink bottle of urine which fortunately hit the roof of the car and not the windscreen. I have heard since of more serious incidents.

This afternoon when I have a bit more time I will rescue my red bag from the car and write down the contents of what my children call "Mum's brain surgery bag" It has gone with me just about everywhere for more years than I can remember, but gets regularly updated
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 5th, 2017, 9:48 am

On your last comment EM, 4 door cars are better for 'privacy', if you are caught short, if you see what I mean.......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby uschi » August 5th, 2017, 10:14 am

My boyfriend laughs at me, but I never set forth without my Butterbrote (sandwich), drinks and sweets.
I have fleece blanket in the back anyway and a small cushion, so that's another thing.

In the last years when my father was still driving I used to pack him an emergency pack in winter: extra blanket and fleece jacket, wooly socks, warm grain packs, gloves. He did need that twice. :tu:
uschi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 5th, 2017, 10:56 am

Yes, Uschi cushion or even a pillow, I had forgotten that ! :tu: For when I sleep on the way home (I am not driving !) :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 5th, 2017, 12:14 pm

I remember my Nan needing to squat and let out what was needing to be let out on the way to Walton On Naze. It could have been highly embarrassing but me and Sis hid her well with car doors so nobody could see her doing her business.
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 5th, 2017, 10:10 pm

I rest the cushion on the seat belt, and put the chair back and before you know it... we are home !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 5th, 2017, 11:28 pm

Forgot to say, always an umbrella and loads of shopping bags. And a pen. Amazing how often you need one.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 6th, 2017, 5:33 am

I always have a spare pair of varifocals in the car in case I break mine . . . . :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2017, 9:06 am

As my varifocals cost £700, no spares :terrified:
But always a pair of sunglasses
Don't wear carifocals any more :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 6th, 2017, 10:06 am

Mine are a pair I had made up by Glasses Direct. Nothing like the £400 my real ones cost but good enough in an emergency.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2017, 11:20 am

I just keep the glasses (varifocals) from my previous prescription as the emergency car ones. That said, they are rarely more than 1 or 2 years old and the difference is usually quite subtle for the reading end, not for distance and would certainly be better than no glasses. I would not drive with glasses I considered to be dangerous.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 6th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Sweeties and a drink each. That's what we will be taking when we go on the coach to Bridlington for the day.
:D
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » August 6th, 2017, 6:23 pm

In my car I always have a snow shovel, alcohol gel and usually some travel tissues. I think I have a first aid kit somewhere. Hubby's car has tissues, alcohol gel and sweeties, he often has a drink somewhere in the car.

If we are going on a long journey then we usually have the electric cool box with us and that will have drinks and some food. We don't usually use my car for very long journeys. I think the furthest I go in my car is up to the coast (Hornsea, Bridlington or Scarborough/Whitby), York or the shopping outlet at Junction 32 on the M62.

I must sort out some new breakdown cover for my car.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 6th, 2017, 7:18 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Even the clean knickers? :lol:

Please don't do this!! ;)

You will forget about them, they will stay in the glove box or under the seat ...

...and when you find them again, you will blame your husband!! :o :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » August 6th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Not really but there is our French driving stuff - jacket, triangles etc. We used to have a small fire hydrant (?!) but don't think that made it into the new car. Water, tissues, sweets, hand wipes, iPod. Don't think we have a first aid kit. OH - the driver- has glasses. Yes, umbrellas, shopping bags.
David Sedaris has a piece on the Stadium Pal. I believe they have a 'female adaptor' for this :shock:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2017, 10:51 pm

When last I did a round up the requirements for "anything a legal requirement anywhere in EU" were
Tool kit (comes with the car)
Spare wheel
Warning triangle
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher (fire blanket counts in most places)
Spare bulb kit
Hi vis vest

And of course now for France the emission badge discussed

Winter tyres or chains can also be a requirement in some countries in winter

The thing I wished I had in France was a telepeage button (transceiver for automatic payment of motorway tolls), I went down to Ian's in a deluge and got soaked every time getting out of my right hand drive car to pay.

someone once pointed out there's little point having a first aid kit unless you have clean water (
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 7th, 2017, 9:09 am

At one time Sue one also had to have a breathalizer and a spare. Somehow that requirement was dropped when it was discovered that the bulk of such items were made by a frim owning by the then president.

Didn't have time to add this yesterday but Granny's red bag has:
pair scissors
tweezers
mini sewing kit
pen
plasters
antiseptic, insect repellent and sunscreen wipes
soluble apsrins
small sachets of salt pepper and sugar
small roll sticky tape
lip salve

These are all contained in a small make up bag which can be taken out of the glove compartment an put ia a pocket or handbag.

This is in addition to all the things on Sues list, and the things mentioned on my original list
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2017, 9:27 am

Forgot the breathalyser, I did have the kit
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 7th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Yes we didn't bother to put the breathalyzes in the new car. I think it's still law but not enforced/there's no fine. I remember the mad rush to get hold of them when they announced the new law and they were hard to get hold of.
We may still have a fire extinguisher.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop