Soap Operas - your take on them?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Soap Operas - your take on them?

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 7th, 2017, 12:06 pm

I was brought up on the likes of Coronation Street, Crossroads, then Brookside when it first came out in the 80's.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uT5T5mBg2BU

Brookside then died a death but has always been a great memory and I have just been looking back at some clips. They don't make them like that anymore. Seeing quite a lot of trailers recently for Emmerdale I quite fancy indulging and having a bit of time on my hands at the moment could easily find time to get stuck in around tea time but then if I missed one....oooh!
Anyone else a soap opera addict? Is Emmerdale worth the time? It does look pretty good. Farms, animals, scandals etc.
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Soap Operas - your take on them?

Postby Riocaz » August 7th, 2017, 12:22 pm

The greatest thing about moving out of my parents home was regaining the time Mum insisted on watching the soaps every evening.

Not watched them in nearly 20 years. And yet I still pick up large volumes about their current storylines through osmosis (newspapaers, etc etc).
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » August 7th, 2017, 12:26 pm

There is only one soap opera and that is on radio :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Ratatouille wrote:There is only one soap opera and that is on radio :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, only one worth following :lol: :lol: :lol: :tu:

Emmerdale ......... farms and animals? ............. not for probably 30 years :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 7th, 2017, 1:35 pm

I watch
Emerdale; It's just the goings on, when there is only half a dozen people in the village, it's amazing and how the shop survives I do not know there are more staff than customers. :rolleyes:
Eastenders; It is so dreary it makes me feel better :lol:
Coronation Street; Again one street, how do they survive, all the inbreeding and carrying on, I think everyone has slept/married/had a child with everyone else :o Two shops there and half a dozen people or so, how do they make money and don't mention the pub, it seems its open all day and night :?
I don't know why I watch them to be honest, but anything is better than football ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Riocaz » August 7th, 2017, 1:45 pm

icelesley wrote:anything is better than football ;)

I entirely agree!

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 7th, 2017, 2:04 pm

My Nan was addicted to many soaps including Eastenders. I recall once she called from the living room to the kitchen to her hubby because there was an article on TV about Home And Away. She was so excited bless her. It was a lovely moment. My Granddad on the other hand shied away from that sort of thing. He preferred horse racing or having a kip :hug: When 'enders came on he'd go and make a brew mumbling 'What a load of doom and gloom, doom and f'ing gloom....' to the theme tune! :lol: He was lovely, you would all have loved him. A complete short a**e war hero. :luv:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 7th, 2017, 2:05 pm

So do I, or any sport IMHO... :duck: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 7th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Riocaz wrote:

I entirely agree!

Yep, football can go whistle.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 7th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Doctors is quite good.

And very funny because it revolves around 2 GP Practices and there are never any patients in the waiting room. :shock: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 7th, 2017, 2:25 pm

icelesley wrote:but anything is better than football

I agree :!: :!: :!:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » August 7th, 2017, 3:02 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:
Riocaz wrote:

I entirely agree!

Yep, football can go whistle.

I thought that you once posted that you got Sky so you could watch football at home rather than go to the pub :? , especially when Man U were playing :?

Cheers
NLB :tu:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12290&p=318842&hilit=Sky+football#p318842
Last edited by northleedsbhoy on August 7th, 2017, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 7th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Riocaz wrote:Not watched them in nearly 20 years. And yet I still pick up large volumes about their current storylines through osmosis (newspapaers, etc etc).

Me too ... I found them generally just to depressing :cry: Why can no-one have a happy marriage/relationship and why does everybody seem to have so called friends who back-stab them at every turn .. ? :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 7th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Doctors is quite good.

And very funny because it revolves around 2 GP Practices and there are never any patients in the waiting room. :shock: :lol:

Really ??? Such silly story lines - how did a receptionist suddenly become a practice manager ? How can the doctors just drop their appointments and rush off to see a patient ? Oh, that's because they have no patients waiting for their appointments ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » August 7th, 2017, 3:45 pm

I'd rather than watch paint dry than soaps TBH :lol:

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 7th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Most of the time I feel like I'm living in a soap opera, I don't want to waste time watching it on TV too. I used to watch neighbours when I was a kid, but probably last saw it about 20+ years ago. To be honest I just find them boring
Catherine
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 7th, 2017, 6:52 pm

I don't indulge.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Riocaz wrote:Not watched them in nearly 20 years. And yet I still pick up large volumes about their current storylines through osmosis (newspapaers, etc etc).

Yes, I've never actually followed a soap opera but I do seem to know who's who :? :o

My granddad loved Crossroads (West Midlands, subbed for no longer being behind a bar in his pub and knowing what everyone was up to), and I used to watch early Neighbours intermittently as my actual neighbour's teenage daughter used to watch it with my cat (they loved it, an apple, a few cat treats, the TV and Kylie)

I did watch series 1 of Dallas and series 1 to 3 of Casualty but I stoutly maintain that at that stage they were dramas, and only became soaps later :lol:

Mum listened to Mrs Dale's Diary and later Waggoner's Wells (brownie points for remembering that!)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 7th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Waggoner Walk Sue?

I remember mum listening to it on the radio.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 7th, 2017, 8:41 pm

My grandma used to watch Coronation Street and Emmerdale, not sure about Crossroads. When I was young she had a B&W to with a dial instead of buttons or knobs... My parents watched Crossroads. And Triangle. Remember that? (What a load of ****) Oh and The Brothers. I had a brief Dynasty phase, as a teenager, but didn't watch Dallas.
In my twenties, I watched Neighbours. We used to watch it in the GCR at Christ Church, allegedly ironically. Yeah right. My mother blames me for her still watching it all these years later.
Also watched Brookside for a while with my flatmate, but mainly for the Anna Friel story line. (And again briefly when a friend was in it!)
I ended up watching Home and Away towards the end of my long studenthood. Cured of day time soaps thou ugh by getting a (proper) job! I did have a bit of an Emmerdale phase after this though , mainly because there was nothing else remotely watchworthy on when it was on. This was in the days when I would come home, and switch the TVs on and leave it in all evening...

I don't watch TV at all now, so no soaps for me. Been soap clean and sober since about 2005 ;)

Edit. I'd forgotten about Casualty and Holby City.

Angels in the early 80s....
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 7th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Oh I used to love Soap! But that wasn't really a soap (and I found it unwatchable when I came back to it in the early 2000s)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby cooksalot » August 7th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Best soaps are football and wrestling! :D
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Ah yes, I did watch the Tates and the Campbells, saw Katharine Helmond going through LA airport in 1981 complete with small entourage, so ludicrously diva I looked for the cameras that weren't there :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 8th, 2017, 2:58 am

SOAP OPERAS????
argh.jpg
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Riocaz » August 8th, 2017, 9:14 am

cooksalot wrote:wrestling! :D

I've even stopped following that. Every now and again I try and get back into it, but the storylines aren't as engaging. Or I've grown out of them...

*thinks about the rows of toy robots in his livingroom*... Ok maybe not!

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » August 8th, 2017, 9:29 am

Herbidacious wrote:The Brothers.

That takes me back! My parents loved it.

Mum was a Corrie fan all her life but I've never really followed a soap (other than 'Soap', which doesn't really count, and things like 'Twin Peaks').
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2017, 10:14 am

I used to enjoy quite a few soaps - many years ago. Does anyone remember The Cedar Tree? I can remember actually running home from the shops with the push chair so that I would get home in time to see it at lunchtime :oops: :oops:.

I think that soaps are really helpful for people who are housebound or semi-housebound or who need an easy form of escapism and that they really do serve a purpose. I liked it in the old days when they depicted ordinary lives of a type that most people could recognise or imagine and the characters became like friends to many. Nowadays, although they probably are a good way of picking up on modern life, for me they have become too sensationalist in many cases and also I do not want continual disharmony in my sitting room (it is a sad statement on society that there is so much disharmony amongst families and friends, I am afraid it may be as realistic as a nice baking day at Emmerdale Farm once was which is a dreadful thought). The last soap I hung on to after I started shifts was Coronation Street, I used to quite enjoy it but then came the scenario (going back a bit now!) with Tracy's baby and the Croppers and it all seemed a bit far-fetched to me and I stopped watching.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby andipandi » August 8th, 2017, 10:40 am

I was just about to mention The Cedar Tree. I used to watch it during my lunch break when I was at school. And The Sullivans. And then it was Neighbours and Home & Away. I was very disappointed to find out that H&A was filmed by a lake and not the sea. I used to love The Brothers! Remember The Onedin Line?

I loved Dallas too. I watched the new series which ran a few years ago until poor Larry Hagman died. Dynasty was ok but not a patch on Dallas, other than the gloriously hammy diva that was Joan Collins.

I love Corrie and 'stenders. I am an unashamed soap fan. I dip in and out of Emmerdale but not enougy to get addicted.
andipandi
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2017, 10:57 am

andipandi wrote: I was very disappointed to find out that H&A was filmed by a lake and not the sea.

Most of H&A's outdoor beach scenes were filmed at Palm Beach which is north of Sydney and one of my old haunts, we used to cruise all round that area with boys in cars when I was in my teens so I loved watching it! I revisited with DD in 2013 and there is a visitor centre there for H&A .. she was in her element as it was a favourite when she was in her teens. Obviously indoor scenes and caravan park scenes were filmed elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_and_Away
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby andipandi » August 8th, 2017, 11:02 am

that is very odd. I distinctly remember watching a documentary about it- back in the day - and they said it was a lake. Am pleased to see it was actually the sea!
andipandi
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 8th, 2017, 11:52 am

Does anyone remember Emergency Ward 10?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Riocaz » August 8th, 2017, 12:02 pm

andipandi wrote:that is very odd. I distinctly remember watching a documentary about it- back in the day - and they said it was a lake. Am pleased to see it was actually the sea!

I have a vague recollection that they filmed on the water sections in a lake, e.g. someone swimming, or on a boat in the lake. As the water was calmer, and more manageable.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby scullion » August 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

What with the lives of my own family and those of the archers i think i have enough to keep up with without adding in any more lives that I have no empathy with and which would tie me to the box any longer than I already am.
I think there are too many more 'worthy' things to watch.

My mother used to fall asleep in front of emerdale.
scullion
Registered

Postby andipandi » August 8th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Does entertainment have to be worthy? I like a bit of escapism.
andipandi
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 8th, 2017, 1:10 pm

There used to be 'worthy escapism' ......... you know, the sort of soaps that gave you a bit of a lift from time to time, without being patronising ........ now it seem that no matter how well written they are, they do nothing but depress me so I avoid them.

Way back I used to watch 'stEnders, but then the storyline about Kat's baby being stolen happened and it made me so unhappy I haven't watched another episode. I had enough sadness to deal with at work without it being on the telly as well. Is no one living in the East End ever happy without their bubble being burst in the cruellest way?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Riocaz » August 8th, 2017, 1:17 pm

suffolk wrote:Way back I used to watch 'stEnders, but then the storyline about Kat's baby being stolen happened and it made me so unhappy I haven't watched another episode. I had enough sadness to deal with at work without it being on the telly as well. Is no one living in the East End ever happy without their bubble being burst in the cruellest way?

That was Mum's reason for giving up soap operas in general. When they first went to Spain, they didn't have TV for a few weeks and when they got access to UK TV again she suddenly realised that absolutely everyone in Eastenders, Emmerdale, and Corrie were rarely happy, and were all depressing. And hasn't watched them since...

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby scullion » August 8th, 2017, 1:28 pm

OK, maybe worthy wasn't the right word for others but I find no worth in a series of programmes that seem to have no end to the rolling storyline(s).
The archers is different, for me, as i don't have to stop doing what i was doing to listen to it.
I gave up on 'lost' at the end of the first series because, like many american dramas, they made too many programmes go absolutely nowhere and then made more. I prefer my entertainment to have a good storyline and be finite.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2017, 2:05 pm

I've just remembered that Mum and I did watch one TV soap - Compact - set in the offices of a woman's magazine called Compact, exited bt Carmen Silvera (actor later in 'allo 'allo) permanently puffing a cigarillo :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » August 8th, 2017, 2:15 pm

I remember Compact, Emergency Ward 10 , Peyton Place and Dr Kildare for that matter.

I was a bit young to appreciate them if that was the right word. My nan used to watch Coronation street in the days of Albert Tatlock and Valerie Barlow, but I imagine they're no longer in it :D

I never hear the whole of Barwick Green, it gets switched off or over after a second or so.

ETA Peyton Place, which I have just remembered...
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 8th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Elderly couple - it's bedtime.

Husband - "you go up first - I'll just channel hop for a couple of minutes, and follow you up"

Five minutes later, he follows her, but trips on the top stair, and tumbles all the way down. He was unhurt.

He eventually reaches the bedroom and complains to his wife that she might at least have come to see if he was all right.

She replied - "Oh I didn't realise you'd fallen down stairs - I thought it was the closing music to East Enders."
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 8th, 2017, 5:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2017, 6:50 pm

I gave up Sky for football some time ago. It is expensive and I wasn't watching it enough to warrant the cost. I will not be getting again.

I forgot about Casualty which I will always watch.

As kids we loved Dallas in our household and later on Home And Away and also Neighbours. I became a total soap-addicted coach- potato and one day went cold turkey. At the time it seemed there were so many better things to do. These days I may just give Emmerdale a whirl.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » August 8th, 2017, 7:06 pm

I used to watch all the soaps except for Emmerdale, but over the last year I've stopped with all of them except for Corrie, I watch the omnibus every Saturday morning, no particular reason for stopping, just sort of fell away really, I don't watch much TV now, preferring films on Netflix/Amazon, and the shows I do follow* are terrible, but I love them, even my teenager thinks I'm sad for watching :D
*Teenmom, 90 day fiance, Ex on the beach.

Tezza, I thought you watched Eastenders religiously as you love Danny Dyer?
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » August 8th, 2017, 7:09 pm

And what about Dr Who?
You said you love it but don't have time to watch.
Are you pulling our leg?
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2017, 9:08 pm

I watched Enders religiously for a while because of DD but soon felt too depressed. I cannot wait to start watching the new Doctor Who and have more time on my hands and am not pulling anyone's leg. Just trying to spark up a friendly discussion.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 8th, 2017, 9:22 pm

NLB Interesting.... the link you gave........ !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 9th, 2017, 2:24 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Just trying to spark up a friendly discussion.

Then maybe better suited to Chatterbox?
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2017, 2:31 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:And what about Dr Who?

Dr Who isn't a soap :?

Am I missing something ... ?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Luca » August 9th, 2017, 2:33 pm

I think a soap thread has a place. It would get lost in Chatterbox I think. :D

I used to watch Neighbours and Home and Away when pregnant. Not tempted by the others. I used to watch Dallas and Dynasty with my mother when I was younger. She said it was her guilty pleasure. I told her she shouldn't think of it like that but a lot of people seem to find they have to "admit to it".
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » August 9th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Luca wrote:I think a soap thread has a place. It would get lost in Chatterbox I think. :D

I used to watch Neighbours and Home and Away when pregnant. Not tempted by the others. I used to watch Dallas and Dynasty with my mother when I was younger. She said it was her guilty pleasure. I told her she shouldn't think of it like that but a lot of people seem to find they have to "admit to it".

My grandfather used to always deny watching the soaps which was strange as he seemed to know exactly what was happening in each and every one of the.

I didn't mean this thread wasn't suitable for here, I meant that the idea if starting of a discussion, which is possible better suited there. (How wet are you Mrs R?)
Catherine
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop