New snake

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

New snake

Postby Pepper Pig » August 7th, 2017, 2:18 pm

New grass snake discovered in the UK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40853286

I really don't do snakes. :scared:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: New snake

Postby icelesley » August 7th, 2017, 2:26 pm

No neither do I :scared: thank goodness they are in the southern lowlands. ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 7th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Thanks for sharing PP.

My only phobia is worms but snakes do not bother me in the slightest. Weird! I could cuddle one of those tomorrow given the chance!

Would be interesting to know if a Wildie spots one. I only seem to be spotting a slug or two on my trek to fetch the bin...maybe next time a snake!
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 7th, 2017, 2:32 pm

I think it is beautiful.

We see snales quite frequently Tezza. Jules brings them in as presents.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Well, that's different

I don't mind snakes but don't really like handling them, and tend to be the person asked to do so
- "you're not squeamish are you?" they cry :rolleyes:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2017, 2:54 pm

I love snakes :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 7th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Me too. :luv:

I like the way it's called Helvetica. I have visions of an Ariel and a Times New Roman species too. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2017, 5:50 pm

What would a Comic Sans look like I wonder :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 7th, 2017, 5:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 7th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Not sure if this works, but just to show that I don't mind snakes either - this is me with a python in Australia:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =960%2C720
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 7th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Or a Wingdings?
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Pat you look worried in that photo!

A wingding snake would clearly require Newt Scamender to care for it :D :tu:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 7th, 2017, 7:28 pm

StokeySue wrote:Pat you look worried in that photo!

Actually I felt quite comfortable .. I think I was reassuring someone who was worried ;) :)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 7th, 2017, 7:46 pm

I once wrote a book on snakes. Researching snake bites was a bit :sprout:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 8th, 2017, 2:51 am

Fascinating things, snakes. I find two varieties in my garden ( both non-venomous): Boddaert`s Tropical Racer and a blind snake known as " la viudita" ( the widow). Further south you can find huge, 20ft long anacondas in the rivers.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Luca » August 8th, 2017, 6:48 am

I had the dubious honour of being judged the only mother capable of helping the children's entertainer with snakes many years ago. Not my children's party. It involved handling them which was fine, holding one around my neck with arms outstretched (couldn't hold all of it..... It was huge) The spiders were far more frightening.

However I did once stay on a farm in South Africa where the incumbent resident, above the main entrance, was a black mamba. Far more worrying but thankfully we remained relative strangers. If somebody however at the time could have taken time lapse photos of anybody entering the house I think it would have been hysterical. Strangely enough everybody made a heck of a lot of noise on the approach and once the door was opened there were often leaps of faith straight over the entry. Singing was often involved.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2017, 9:29 am

I think they are beautiful creatures and in my younger years was wary but not terrified of them in the UK because they were usually grass snakes (different overseas!). Nowadays people manage to lose their 'pets' and I wouldn't know what I was looking at and would be wary. Grass snakes to me are a sandy colour so if I saw Helvetica I would not want to go near! I don't mind touching them if someone who knows what they are doing is guiding me but am not sure I would want one round my neck.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Luca » August 8th, 2017, 9:39 am

I couldn't chicken out due to the immense pride on my children's faces EM! Nobody else was stepping in and quite frankly most of the mothers were not the sort to volunteer for such things. Wasn't a pleasure but very warm and heavy!

I do like snakes though but wouldn't keep one as a pet. A friend's mother did that and still has it and freezer full of frozen mice. Her son left home years ago! :lol:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2017, 9:57 am

You must have been the best mummy in the class for years after that!

A friend's middle child had multiple allergies so they could only have reptiles as pets. The fridge was always full of very unsavoury-looking morsels! I particularly remember the locusts which stayed in a stunned state if chilled but which came to life if they warmed up ... one day they warmed up for some reason :( .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Hope » August 8th, 2017, 1:52 pm

I think this is amazing! In such a relatively small and not that wild (well in comparison to some places) country there should be a previously unknown species. Amazing!

Pat - can't see your picture. Is it for friends only?
Hope
Registered

Postby Rainbow » August 8th, 2017, 11:46 pm

I've stroked a python at close quraters, like Patsy in her photo, and found it felt quite pleasant. Soft & smooth, not slimy as I'd imagined. ;)

However, the 2 types of snakes we encounter on the properties we've lived on are both poisonous - and I nearly trod on one in the grass! But they are as keen to escape as I am, generally, so I just accept they live out there - it's their home.
When they get too close to the house I am happy to see them removed/killed. The Snake Catcher businesses do well in and around Adelaide in the summer - they catch the snakes and 're-home' them out in the bush.
We've lost a couple of cats to baby brown snakes - very venomous, although small - which cats seem to think are fun to play with :(
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 9th, 2017, 5:32 am

That would be my fear Rain. Two of my boys bring me slow worms, they would not know a venomous one from any other.... :? :( :(
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2017, 7:15 am

Hope wrote:Pat - can't see your picture. Is it for friends only?

~Sorry Hope, it might be as I copied it from my photo file on FB ... . :?: :?: :?:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2017, 8:56 am

I don't mind stroking them, snakeskin feels quite nice, the snakes I've handled have been corn snakes and garter snakes, what I dislike is the feeling of the muscles and ribs moving
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2017, 9:24 am

Hope wrote:I think this is amazing! In such a relatively small and not that wild (well in comparison to some places) country there should be a previously unknown species. Amazing!

Pat - can't see your picture. Is it for friends only?

I think it's more a case of differentiation from the common grass snake rather than finding a totally new example of a previously unknown snake.
I can't see the pic either.
scullion
Registered

Postby WildlifeOnline » August 10th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I think it's more a case of differentiation from the common grass snake rather than finding a totally new example of a previously unknown snake.

scullion's spot on. The BBC and other news outlets got a little over-excited about this and some were less than rigorous in their reporting of it.

Grass snakes are a well-known member of Britain's reptile fauna; it's one of seven reptile and three snake species we have - grass snake, smooth snake, adder, common lizard, slowworm, wall lizard and sand lizard. Grass snakes are also widely found throughout Europe. Taxonomically, we thought there were several (at least 10) distinct "races" that had been designated as subspecies. In the case of the British grassy, this was Natrix natrix helvetica. Helvetica comes from the Latin name for Switzerland, from where Bernard Germain de Lacépède first described it in 1789. Carolin Kindler and her colleagues reviewed the data available for this species at the Europe-wide scale and concluded that helvetica was sufficiently different from the grassys found in eastern Europe that they should be separated at the species level. Ergo, the subspecies Natrix natrix helvetica became just Natrix helvetica and the grassys in eastern Europe are the 'type' species of Natrix natrix. (It was actually a little more complicated than that because Kindler and her co-workers grouped our subspecies with four others into the helvetica species.)

Does this make a lot of difference to your average punter on the street? No, not really. It is, however, important in a conservation framework and a number of text books are now out of date. More importantly, I now have to go back and re-tag all my grass snake photos on Flickr :lol:

Cheers,
Marc.
WildlifeOnline
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2017, 10:32 am

Patsy with snake ;-).jpg

Here she is ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered