Techie advise please

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Techie advise please

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 7th, 2017, 9:30 pm

My Dad is trying to uninstall some items on his PC but is struggling to do it without losing things he wants to keep.

From the telephone conversation I had with him he wants to keep Windows 10 and Office 365 but needs to lose Office 7 Home and Student. Does anybody have any knowledge of how to fix this sort of thing, as it is beyond me!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Techie advise please

Postby icelesley » August 8th, 2017, 9:09 am

Go to PC world and let them do it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Riocaz » August 8th, 2017, 9:10 am

Pretty much. uninstalling one shouldn't cause anything to be lost. But if he's not technical and is unsure he's better off getting a professional to do it than risk it himself.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2017, 9:44 am

Agree that it might be better to go to a professional - but a word of warning. I went to someone who had been recommended to me some years ago and the man told me briefly using jargon what he was going to do but at the time I didn't really understand and he didn't explain the consequences. He reinstalled Windows and I didn't have anything backed up and all my old Windows files were lost. I would back up anything I would mind losing before setting out to the 'professionals' or trying to uninstall big scary things myself. You need to back it up on something different to the PC which is being looked at. Nowadays, if you don't have a backup external hard drive you can use a Cloud facility I think but check how to access it on what might appear to it to be a different PC first. (Riocaz is probably grimacing here because of my lack of knowledge but I speak as a clueless person who got stung!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 9th, 2017, 5:18 pm

I forgot about this thread as my Dad hasn't mentioned it but am seeing him on Sunday and will mention your comments. Thanks all!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby WildlifeOnline » August 10th, 2017, 8:35 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I forgot about this thread as my Dad hasn't mentioned it but am seeing him on Sunday and will mention your comments. Thanks all!

It's easy enough to do in Windows, Teresa. Just click on the Windows icon in the bottom left of the screen and then on the cog icon (Settings). You'll now see a tiled screen with options. Choose System then Apps & Features and it'll populate a list of all the software on the computer. Click on the ones you don't want and it'll bring up a box with an option to Uninstall. Alternatively, you can install a freeware program such as CCLeaner to do it for you - I use this a lot as it has a neat registry cleaner to remove stuff that the uninstall process normally leaves behind.

Cheers,
Marc.
WildlifeOnline
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop