Blast from the past ...

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Blast from the past ...

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2017, 6:40 pm

I decided to give my nails a bit of a manicure .. went to the box where I keep all the paraphernalia to find a tube of Vitapointe ! Must have belonged to my mum .. I think it must have been a forerunner of all those hair conditioners you get now.

My thoughts took me to the Toni home perm lotions you could buy too (can you still get them? ) I used to perm my mum's hair and she never needed the full head perm, only the one for the ends ;)

I also remember my Nan curling up the bits of hair just in front of her ears with a couple of curlers that could have been mistaken for instruments of torture .. :scared:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Blast from the past ...

Postby Pepper Pig » August 8th, 2017, 6:46 pm

My best friend from Primary School has very tight curly hair which she attributes to a product her mother used to put on it called Toddilox. :D
Last edited by Pepper Pig on August 8th, 2017, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 8th, 2017, 6:47 pm

I still use Vitapointe :oops: , I've not found anything to beat it for my dry, coarse frizzy/curly hair. My mum used to use it (same hair though curlier) and I used to borrow hers. I've used many different ones over the years and still come back to it :) . The wee tube lasts for ages.
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:My best friend from Primary School has very tight curly hair which she attributes to a product her mother used to put on it called Toddilox. :D

I remember that too ;)

liketocook wrote:I still use Vitapointe :oops: , I've not found anything to beat it for my dry, coarse frizzy/curly hair. My mum used to use it (same hair though curlier) and I used to borrow hers. I've used many different ones over the years and still come back to it :) . The wee tube lasts for ages.

Yes, I recall that only a tiny portion was needed ... :) Didn't know you could still buy it though :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 8th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Yep they sell in my local Boots :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2017, 7:19 pm

I used to use Vitapointe on my Crystal Tipps type hair

Then Mum saud that I could pinch a bit of Dad's Brylcreem for the same effect

Hair nearly straight now but I use a drop of Extraordinary oil for shine

Wasn't it the 60s thing that the boys went out boozing on Friday night while girls stayed in and did their hair and nails ready for Saturday (think Likely Lads)

I remember 'Friday Night is Amami night (Amami Setting Lotion) there was a rival a horrible glooy gel in a jar, sold it in Woolworths but can't remember what it was called. Crystal perhaps?

And Woltz Italiana was the 'Friday to Friday Nail Enamel', tge first with a huge choice of colours
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 8th, 2017, 7:40 pm

My nickname was "Crystal Tipps" at school :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2017, 8:10 pm

liketocook wrote:My nickname was "Crystal Tipps" at school :lol: :lol:

I trust you had better legs :lol:

My school days pre-dated her fortunately, but the style I wanted was more Francoise Hardy / Julie Felix / Joan Baez than Janis Joplin
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 8th, 2017, 8:16 pm

StokeySue wrote:
liketocook wrote:My nickname was "Crystal Tipps" at school :lol: :lol:

I trust you had better legs :lol:

My school days pre-dated her fortunately, but the style I wanted was more Francoise Hardy / Julie Felix / Joan Baez than Janis Joplin

Hopefully my lower legs & neck were what I always regarded as my "best features" (I'll not mention the shoulder like a navvy & no-bum in between :lol: :lol: ). I was told I looked like Robert Plant from behind - I think it was a compliment......... ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Until now I never heard of Vitapointe. My Nan on my Mum's side would never leave the house without doing her hair in rollers and 'putting her face on'. I am same now with the face but not rollers. I wouldn't get rollers in now even if I tried (too short) but in the eighties did use to crimp to curb the curlage. My Mum has a frizz head too and before my time used to have a great big beehive! I am not sure if you need rollers for one of those but I never saw her using them. Rollers always looked painful along with hairpins.
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2017, 9:28 pm

The rollers thing always puzzled me and still does
You (well not you, half the cast of Corrie and various people in real life) are sufficiently concerned about your appearance that you set (or as my dad saud 'frighten') your hair before going out on a Saturday night looking at your best
Then you go out in your curlers so all the same people pretty much see you looking at your worst :rolleyes:
How long do you need to leave rollers in after all? I appreciate longer if you don't have a hair drier (which a lot of people didn't) but still...
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 8th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Patsy, Vitapointe ! You know how to twang a memory string !!!! My Mum used to use it and on the odd occasion I have been known to sneak a bit !!! Made your hair very soft.....

Aqua Manda now comes into my mind.... going off on one....Tweed.... think this was mentioned fairly recently.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 8th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Before hair straightners (fab invention), I used to use big rollers to straighten my hair before special events to reduce the "big hair" look . (Talking late 1980s/early 1990s not the sixties LOL). Popped in a few hours before on damp hair they were brill but so uncomfy. Would never have dreamed of leaving the house with them in :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 8th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Re rollers.......I saw a group of very glam looking girls, early to mid twenties, done up to the nines in the centre of Manchester on a Saturday afternoon. Immaculately turned out apart from the fact that they were all sporting big foam rollers in their hair! Evidently it's not an uncommon sight, they walk around town with their rollers in before doing their hair to go out on the town later.

Somehow, with all the eclectrical straighteners, volumisers etc it seemed quaintly old fashioned.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2017, 7:30 am

liketocook wrote:Before hair straightners (fab invention), I used to use big rollers to straighten my hair before special events to reduce the "big hair" look . (Talking late 1980s/early 1990s not the sixties LOL). Popped in a few hours before on damp hair they were brill but so uncomfy. Would never have dreamed of leaving the house with them in :D

My hair needs a bit of taming so well before the invention of (electric) straighteners and tongs, I would sleep in rollers ... even for my wedding (1966), my hair was cut short, but roller set to give it height and style ..
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2017, 8:08 am

wedding.jpg

My ex was in the Navy and wore his uniform, hence the mini replicas of us both. The page boy is now a grand-father and it was his daughter's wedding I went to in Byron Bay, Oz ...
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 9th, 2017, 8:22 am

Lovely photo Pat :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 9th, 2017, 9:28 am

That's fab Patsy... :luv:

Talking of hair products does anyone remember 'Sun-In'? I must have got through gallons of the stuff back in the early 80's. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2017, 9:35 am

Oh gosh, I remember Vitapointe too! My hair was real 'Crystal Tips' only worse. My mother had very straight, fine hair and I don't think she ever understood the hell of getting a brush through my kind of hair. Sometimes she would put some Vitapointe on it and it made such a difference. Later, when long, straight hair was fashionable in my teens I used rollers, sellotape and goodness knows what else to try and tame it. It's amazing what hair products can do now - but I can still only get halfway down the road before my hair reverts to its normal self :rolleyes:. Now that I have alopecia my hair is thin and more manageable - but still wayward :( .

No-one in my family would have dreamed of going into the street in rollers. I can understand why women kept them in though, the hairstyle would soon have fallen apart during housework, rain etc.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2017, 9:53 am

As a result of the torture my mother inflicted on me and my hair when little it's lucky if it gets a brush through it!
The going out in hair rollers must be a northern thing - I'd never seen it before until a couple of weeks ago in tesco in truro, where there were two women (from somewhere in the north) with massive plastic rollers in their hair. I was not the only one doing a double take. I wonder if they even noticed that no one else was out in that state or that they were getting stared at.
It seems an odd thing to do - to go out in public early in the day like that in order not to be seen like that in the evening. Truro isn't that big - the chaps they may have been trying to pull later could well have been in tesco earlier!
Hair straightening was never something I have had to worry about - I'm not sure it could get more straight.
My mother (or father) had a tube of vitapoint - I always wondered what it was for. Thanks for enlightening me!
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 9th, 2017, 10:51 am

Seatallan wrote:That's fab Patsy... :luv:

Talking of hair products does anyone remember 'Sun-In'? I must have got through gallons of the stuff back in the early 80's. :D

Oh yes - I was a big fan of it at the time though it didn't half dry your hair :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Just remembered when the ex wanted to have curly hair like Kevin Keagan ...... I used to perm my mum's hair, so he asked me to do his ... to this day I almost collapse into a heap of giggles, recalling how this big macho sailor looked sitting there in perm curlers ... I really don't know how I did it without rolling on the floor laughing my head off. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Luca » August 9th, 2017, 2:45 pm

I got the world's worst perm at a modelling event in Paris. My father was thrilled as a friend and I were leaving for a tour in Italy and the hair was so dire he reckoned our virtue would be safe!

I remember sun in. Also bright colour hair aerosol sprays. That was in my punk moment. Above mentioned father would have killed me if I'd actually died it. :lol:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2017, 5:04 pm

I remember Sun In. My ex used to use it quite effectively on his fair hair in the summer to enhance his pose to any female who cared to look :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 9th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Harmony did a range of wash in/wash out hair tints around the same sort of time. I remember using them around the time I finished secondary school. On one memorable occasion, I was caught in the rain during a school geography trip to Durdle Daw and the 'autumn leaves' tint I had in my hair all washed out. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Amber » August 9th, 2017, 9:10 pm

I love Sun In, but my hair is so grey now it doesn't work anymore.
Amber
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 9th, 2017, 9:42 pm

I just have mine as short as possible now - it really shows off the multitude of earrings I've collected over the years. Don't care about the grey bits.......... I shall grow old gracefully.............some hope!!!!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 9th, 2017, 10:53 pm

I remember Sun In being spoken about but never used it as it was for blondes wasn't it? I tried to go brunette to blonde once but looked horrific. I soon went back to what suited me best.

Do I recall women four or five decades ago women would put rollers in to set and then wear a head scarf over them making them look like they had massive heads? I think my Nan did this and I inherited her head scarf. Was the scarf used to keep the rollers in place?

Mary - I am with you on short hair. A good short cut can look so stunning and easier to manage. For a decade I grew my crop cut to shoulder length but it needed so much attention including straightening most days so I recently had it all chopped off again. It is too unruly to keep long and in good condition. I take after my Mum, Nan and Dad for the curls and I have given up the battle trying to control them.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 11:06 am

Didn't Navratilova reckon playing tennis while using Sun In ruined her hair?

When my hair straightened out a bit I spent most of the late seventies and early eighties with long henna'd hair, very auburn
I thought it was obviously fake, but a surprising number of people thought it was the black brows and lashes (100% natural) that were enhanced :D finally a great aunt told me the resultant auburn was more or less identical to my grandmother's natural shade
Natural henna was horrible stuff to use in a bathroom without a proper shower but everyone was doing it then
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 10th, 2017, 11:09 am

StokeySue wrote:Natural henna was horrible stuff to use in a bathroom without a proper shower but everyone was doing it then

It gave the most marvellous shine though ;) I still have some in a drawer somewhere :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 10th, 2017, 11:26 am

Yes it did. I hennaed mine for ages. I think Uschi uses henna doesn't she?

My most unfortunate hair dye experience was the time I decided to dye it black (my natural hair colour is reddish). Needless to say, the result, whilst interesting, wasn't quite what I anticipated (it came out green just like Anne of Green Gables :lol: ). Took me months to grow it out.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Amber » August 10th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Out of interest (nosiness :oops: ), what colour are you all? And what colour would you choose to be?

I'm very grey/white on the top, but still dark at the back...but I've never had dark hair in my life, so I don't know where that's come from :o .
By choice I would like to be blonde; I think the colour suits my skin tone much better than any other.
It's not worth dying my hair because it grows so quickly.
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 9:50 pm

As you get older pigments fade at different rates I believe

Blonde when small, as an adult I was naturally quite dark with a bit of a chestnut glow, but the chestnut (ginger!) faded long since, always had one blonde streak, a forelock and a stripe through my left eyebrow, brows and lashes jet black (increasing proportion colourless now)
Now dark hair heavily streaked with grey, which is ok, didn't like my initial grey which was pinstripes and looked untidy so I dyed that out, au naturel now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 11th, 2017, 1:35 am

When I was born my hair was jet black then my hair went blonde as a toddler. As I grew up it changed to darkish brown. Does anyone know why these hair colour changes? I started getting grey hairs in my early twenties and have been colouring it to hide those from then on. Usually a nice bright red but recently blue black. When I get sick of colouring it I will go completely grey gracefully but not yet!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 11th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Amber wrote:Out of interest (nosiness ), what colour are you all? And what colour would you choose to be?

You can see mine from my avatar ... I used to dye it bright red, but then decided to grow that out when I was first diagnosed with cancer (with the idea that my body was going to have to deal with plenty of toxins, never mind hair dye ;) ) ... but got bored with 50 shades of grey, so now use a semi permanent colour called Bordeaux .. as I am several shades of grey, from white at the front to all shades to dark grey at the back, it looks like I have spent a fortune on the colour, when in fact it costs £4 per bottle (Crazy colour) It fades out, so no roots to touch up. I have had mixed reception .. a friend, the same age as me doesn't like it, while unknown men of various ages comment how much they like it ;) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 11th, 2017, 6:20 pm

I'm a faded redhead who thankfully is going white rather than grey so I don't dye it. Most folk think I have had shades of blonde streaks put in and I've been asked a few times what colours I use. The colour tone suits my shin tone now I'm older and my eyebrows have always been very fair, The under hair at the back of my head is still a deep auburn. My sister who was always a darker auburn than me is unfortunately going grey rather than white and she now dyes it bright red. It really suits her as she has dark red eyebrows.
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 11th, 2017, 6:53 pm

Your colour sounds really lovely LTC :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop