Next years vacation London plus?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Next years vacation London plus?

Postby nursemimi » August 13th, 2017, 1:42 am

We are planning on 3 weeks next year coming to England. We also want to go to Scotland.
Thinking September what advice have you all got for me .

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Re: Next years vacation London plus?

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 13th, 2017, 3:56 am

What sort of things are you interested in and where were you thinking of staying?
Things I can think of off the top of my head in London:
The river Thames and its many bridges, obviously
A Thames cruise especially in the late afternoon/evening when the crowds should die down and if the weather is fine you can sit up top
Soho for the atmosphere and many restaurants especially Oriental
The National Gallery for an amazing art collection (free last time I looked)
The British Museum
One of the many theatres can be a good night out. The Mousetrap is fun
Trafalgar Square where you can climb Nelson's Column if not afraid of heights!
Borough Market for delicious food
Charing Cross Road for the many book shops
Petticoat Lane is quite iconic and worth a look
Greenwich which has a wonderful market
Hyde Park with The Serpentine if the weather is good - you could possibly be okay in September
In Scotland my favourites are:
Glen Coe - if you read up on the massacre that once happened there before you drive through you should really feel the atmosphere as quite haunting
Edinburgh is an amazing city full of the usual hustle and bustle and shops
Loch Tay is gorgeous. Some of the best scenery I have seen in the UK
There is such a contrast between the pace of life in London and that in Scotland as you probably know or can imagine. Prepare for lots of slow travelling in Scotland most of the time. Whilst beautiful, those pesky mountains and lochs get in the way if you are trying to get from A to B, whereas in London you can hop on a bus, in a cab, the tube etc and be where you want to be quite quickly.
I am not very hot on best restaurants in London or Scotland, others will be! One I can recommend is Rani on Long Lane in Finchley. Top, top, top vegetarian Indian cuisine.
Have fun and do report back how it went!
PS do you have room in your suitcase for a little one? :lol:
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 13th, 2017, 5:45 am

Stonehenge and Avebury are in Wiltshire they are ancient stone circles and are very different from each other and about 40 mins apart from each other, Silbury Hill is nearby too as is the West Kennet Long Barrow. We took Patsy to Avebury. If you Google these places you should find lots of further information. If you decide to visit these, let me know and you can drop by for a cuppa, you would be most welcome. :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 13th, 2017, 7:08 am

Stop off in york en route to Edinburgh- it's about halfway. Very historic Roman city, medieval walls to walk around, the iconic York Minster plus Betty's for a traditional afternoon tea.

If you do decide to come give me a shout, I'm more than happy to show you round.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 13th, 2017, 8:27 am

I was going to suggest York too. I love it up there.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 13th, 2017, 8:31 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:
Trafalgar Square where you can climb Nelson's Column if not afraid of heights. :

Only if you're John Noakes! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 13th, 2017, 9:14 am

If there is just the 2 of you, you can overnight at mine on your arrival at Heathrow ... I have a spare room. ;) 8-) :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » August 13th, 2017, 9:29 am

Busybee wrote:Stop off in york en route to Edinburgh- it's about halfway. Very historic Roman city, medieval walls to walk around, the iconic York Minster plus Betty's for a traditional afternoon tea.

Canadian visitors loved York.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 13th, 2017, 10:04 am

I think you have to decide how you are going to travel in the UK and also what kind of budget you have. You may not like driving and if so, would need to see what kind of public transportation suits you best (trains are quite expensive, flights something to consider London - Scotland, coach (bus) quite good value etc). Most important probably is to know what is already on your list of 'must-do' things and where your interests lie.

Friends of mine from Australia hired a car and set themselves an itinerary which made me gasp, they intended driving the whole of the UK in two weeks with just about every major area, site and city on the list. They did it and thoroughly enjoyed it but really didn't see much of each thing and had to be very well oragnised. Personally I would prefer to select a few places I really, really wanted to see at my leisure and just enjoy them. York is lovely, most people love Bath as well and that can be combined with the Cotswolds and the places Zosh mentioned. You would probably like to see the coast, the west coast (Devon, Cornwall) is more dramatic because it is ocean but places like Brighton, Scarborough and many more give a real British seaside feel. The Edinburgh Tattoo is on during August.

I hope there's time for a Wildie meet! That'd be fun.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 13th, 2017, 10:25 am

My American cousins packed a lot in last October. They started off in Scotland, staying in Edinburgh and then going to Skye. Then they went down to London via Manchester/Blackburn (! ancestry stuff...) and from a base in London they had day trips to Stonehenge, the Cotswolds (but not Oxford!), Bath... (those were on two trips! Can't remember the combo.) This they did in two weeks. They seemed to have a *lot* of energy, as they were off going out to shows after their day trips, but did some things in a rather whistle stop way. Personally I'd prefer to do things at leisure rather than tick stuff off, but I suppose if you want to come back this gives you a taste for what you might like to explore further.

I guess work out where you want to be based then take it from there.

But in England:
London (of course...?!)
Bath
York
Oxford/Cambridge
Brighton? (I always find it interesting to visit a seaside towns interesting whatever country I am in, but Brighton packs a lot in.)
Yes Stonehenge etc.
Maybe fit in a stately home, depending on where you are - Blenheim near Oxford, Castle Howard (nearish) to York etc. A castle? Best ones in Wales though, perhaps? (And Scotland? I don't really know Scotland at all. But of course Edinburgh Castle.) Oh Dover is very impressive.
Coach day trips should be good for seeing countryside as opposed to towns.

re London (and indeed England), really I think there is nothing wrong with getting a guide book and looking at the suggested itineraries. It really depends on what appeals to you of course. Some of the more touristy things are perhaps not so enjoyable because they are so touristy and thus one has to weigh up if it's worth queuing for ages e.g. the Tower.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 13th, 2017, 10:42 am

I'll just put a plug in here for East Anglia ... Cambridge and the universities and Kings College chapel etc, Constable Country, the Norfolk & Suffolk Broads, castles and stately homes, the amazing coastline (very different to that in the rest of the country due to the sandy cliffs and consequent loss of coastal towns and villages due to coastal erosion), and also if you have any family connections with the USAF you may be interested in some of the sites of the former US airfields and the museums that proliferate in Norfolk and Suffolk.
We also have some wonderful places to eat ...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... staurants/

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lists/ ... in-norfolk

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lists/ ... in-suffolk

:D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 13th, 2017, 11:10 am

Oops, sorry, after reading the posts following mine I realised I read that you are visiting London (for some reason) instead of England on the whole!
I would like to plug Derbyshire/Peak District if not already mentioned. It is beautifully central and has many quaint market towns and of course the famous caves. Speedwell is my favourite as after the steep steps to the underground caves you are taken by boat through a tunnel to the main cave. One for the fit and able and not one for the claustrophobic. There are many others. Blue John comes to mind.
Loads of good suggestions on here which I don't think I can add to.
Needless to say, have fun!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 13th, 2017, 11:36 am

The far northwest of Scotland is wonderful- the North West Highlands Geopark is out of this world (see link below)

http://www.nwhgeopark.com/

The Scottish Borders/Southern Uplands are well worth exploring too- a bit off the usual tourist trail and full of interesting places to visit as well as wonderful scenery.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby smitch » August 13th, 2017, 11:41 am

Chatsworth House in Derbyshire is lovely. A lot of American tourists visit Liverpool for Beatles history.

If you want to travel by train, the best value tickets are released in advance. Virgin operate the east and west coast main lines from London to Scotland, it will say on their website when advanced purchase tickets are available from.

York is fab as others have said.

Lake District has some lovely scenery too.
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » August 13th, 2017, 12:10 pm

i think you have to decide firstly whether you're doing a history/cultural tour or a scenic tour as there are far too many things to see in three weeks in the uk. it would be very easy to spread yourself thin and see nothing. if it were me i would pick three areas - for instance london for one week (if you've not been there before) you won't see everything in a week but you could do the highlights.
if you want to go to scotland i might suggest royal deeside - lots of mountains, balmoral castle, and many old scottish castles to visit. i think september is out of the highland games season - those can be quite a spectacle.
- and the third area would probably be the wiltshire area where it wouldn't be too far to travel between places like blenheim palace, bath, stonehenge, lacock village and abbey.
in that way you could get to the main areas by train and hire a car when you get there (not london, of course).
but what i would want to see may be very different from your choices, although i do suggest you see fewer things but in better depth.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 13th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Make sure that you are prepared for any weather. September can be hot or freezing.

Check out the tourist options that can go with a British Airways ticket. Our friends from the US always seem to get some offers.

The American staples are visits to Central London, Windsor Castle and Stratford on Avon.

But the old world and ancient stuff is worth a look too.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » August 13th, 2017, 12:33 pm

I would have thought you can mix and match scenic and culture/history?!

Yes Chatsworth and Derbyshire are lovely although I am biased
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 13th, 2017, 1:56 pm

I was going to suggest Bath too - not too far from me and we have a lovely Guest suite here for visitors. You can nip across to Wales for the day from here as well as National Trust hills 20 minutes from where I live.

You would be very welcome.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 13th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Forgot to mention I live in Gloucestershire!!!!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 13th, 2017, 3:48 pm

So many kind offers of stop overs and meets etc here. I would love to extend the offer but as far as I can work out Bedfordshire hasn't much to offer apart from the Clanger! Happy to meet up and wander around with you if you find yourself in this neck of the woods, although I am just still learning myself! No chance of accommodation being in a bedsit but there is The Chiltern Hotel up the road which looks quite nice from outside. Have yet to venture for a nose inside. The rolling hills of The Chilterns look amazing from the road.
If you are this way let me know, we could perhaps make a brief day of it.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby nursemimi » August 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Thank you all so much good ideas to start us thinking. And a huge thanks to all for the invites. Ok toursty isntreally what
we are interested in. We both love history. So we are thinking 1 week London 1 week Scotland. Robs family is connected to the Farquharsons in Scotland. So Invercauld and Braemar are a must. We are thinking of driving to Scotland taking a week to see the country on our way. Of course plans could change and these are loose ideas. To just start us thinking. A wildie meet is of course hoped for would love to meet as many. Of you as i can.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 13th, 2017, 4:36 pm

I am happy the suggestions have helped with your plans, and for the first time in a while will be able to attend a meet. Please keep me in the loop! :bounce:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 13th, 2017, 4:46 pm

If you are visiting Braemar, you have got to go to the Braemar Gathering, ( Highland games). You could stop off in the lakes on the way back, and / or Yorkshire dales - both beautiful! Although Scottish, I have only been to a few islands, I can recommend Mull and from there you can easily get to Iona and Staffa. Loch Lomond is lovely as is the whole area of the Trossachs National Park. Have fun planning!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 13th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Forgot to say; The Braemar Gathering is the first Sat in Sept - usually a good month weather wise for Scotland!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Amber » August 13th, 2017, 8:42 pm

I agree with Cambridge, Greenwich museums, York, Bath, Edinburgh, Scotland (most if it, but beware midgies!), but if you like such things, I would consider booking a tour of the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey etc. Not my thing at all, but I really enjoyed it. It may also be worth considering NT membership.
Amber
Registered

Postby nursemimi » August 13th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Thank you so much we are going to have almost as much fun planning this trip as the trip itself

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 13th, 2017, 11:26 pm

If travelling by train, which I would recommend, check with a travel agent local to you, don't kniw if it still exists, but there used to be special deals only available to those booking / buying them from other countries
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby smitch » August 14th, 2017, 5:47 am

Seat61.com is a really good site for planning rail journeys. There is some good advice on there for the UK. It also looks like the BritRail pass still exists, tat might be cheaper than booking individual journeys:

https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/travel-and-transport/britrail-passes/
smitch
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 14th, 2017, 9:26 am

Zosherooney wrote:Stonehenge and Avebury are in Wiltshire they are ancient stone circles and are very different from each other and about 40 mins apart from each other, Silbury Hill is nearby too as is the West Kennet Long Barrow. We took Patsy to Avebury. If you Google these places you should find lots of further information. If you decide to visit these, let me know and you can drop by for a cuppa, you would be most welcome. :luv:

In fact there is such a lot to see in the West country. Salisbury and it's cathedral and Old sarrem. Bath the Pump Room and the Roman Baths, gorgeous Georgian terraces etc. Wells and it's unique cathedral and the moated bishops palace - it's the palace not the bisop tht is moated :D With nearby Glastonbury the Tor and it's Arthurian connections
You could easy spend your 3 weeks in that par of the country.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 14th, 2017, 9:42 am

Glastonbury is worth it for the other people there alone :) (I had a long weekend there in February.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop