Parking Charges at fetes

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Parking Charges at fetes

Postby cyprusmoira » August 13th, 2017, 8:06 am

It is the annual Episcopi Garrison fete next month, they are charging E5 to park. Can anyone tell me please if it is now customary to pay for parking at local fetes, country fairs and the like.?
I think that most people would be happy if reassured that the parking fee was going to charity, most probably service charities

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Re: Parking Charges at fetes

Postby Suelle » August 13th, 2017, 8:46 am

I think that the organisers of fetes are trying to cover their costs. I think stall holders at fetes are charged a small fee (or perhaps a % of their takings), unless the whole fete is run by just one organisation and all profits go to the one good cause. This doesn't always cover the costs of staging a fete -- sound systems, insurance etc,- and also you can't guess at how much money people will spend once at the fete. Parking charges is one way of guaranteeing some income.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 13th, 2017, 9:12 am

I suppose it would make a difference if there was an entry fee ? Yesterday I was at the West Dean Chilli Festival ... no cost to park, but entry was up to £20 per person on the day (I previously booked online) and the beer tents had extortionate prices £11 for a pint of lager and a G&T !!! :o
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 13th, 2017, 9:18 am

For indoor fetes and sometimes outdoor ones you are often charged admission, I suppose charging for the car load rather than per head comes to much the same thing if people mainly go by car
Couldn't do it round here, no designated parking ever!
Thinking about it, you are always charged by the car load at country events, whether commercial or fund raisers

Haven't seen any sheepdog trials in years....
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 13th, 2017, 9:38 am

Around here, quite often the car park is on land belonging to a local farmer ... sometimes the damage caused by a large number of cars on a meadow in wet weather can be horrendous and costs a lot of time and money to put right, not to mention loss of income to the farmer as the land can't be used for it's proper purpose until it's recovered. In cases like that it seems only fair that the farmer is paid something ... but this is possibly not applicable to Episocpi :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 13th, 2017, 9:50 am

Either a car parking fee or an entrance fee is the norm.

€5 for parking would be considered a bargain around here, I paid £2.40 for an hours out of town car parking yesterday in York. £6.50 for an hour in central Manchester.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 13th, 2017, 9:50 am

I agree with others, usually a charge per car which includes entry fee or free parking with an entry fee at the entrance to the actual event. That said, round here the local authority has started charging quite a bit to park at local country parks even if you are only there for a short while. If any events are held at the parks everyone has to pay that charge as well as an entrance fee (the reason I am not going to one today that I would have gone to otherwise).

Car parking is such an easy way to make money ... but as Suffs says, sometimes it leaves considerable damage to the area and the land owner may require a fee. If there are public transport links to the area it is also a way of trying to deter people from bringing cars.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » August 13th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Bristol Balloon Fiest is still free entry, pay for parking but there's a shuttle bus from the City Centre.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby smitch » August 13th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Busybee wrote:Either a car parking fee or an entrance fee is the norm.

€5 for parking would be considered a bargain around here, I paid £2.40 for an hours out of town car parking yesterday in York. £6.50 for an hour in central Manchester.

BB

Yes, parking in Manchester is a ridiculous price. I remember we drove into town one night for my brother in law's birthday meal. We were only out a couple of hours and it was almost £20 :shock: So glad I have a permit for my work's car park now. £3.50 a month not far from Oxford Road station. Saves us a fortune :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2017, 10:23 am

I've discovered that the entry fee for the Pembrokshire County Show this week is £19 per head :shock:

While you do get some entertainment from the arena events, most of it is a commercial market, it doesnt seem goid value.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 16th, 2017, 10:30 am

We are spending a couple of days in the area on our way back from our holiday, and will be visiting Whipsnade Zoo ... we will be using the free external car park ... https://www.zsl.org/zsl-whipsnade-zoo/v ... -admission
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 16th, 2017, 2:33 pm

I abhor paying for parking - ANYWHERE ! Dead money as far as I am concerned.

We were pleasantly surprised to find FREE parking on the seafront in Penzance - if you could find it. We did :D Also parking at the Minack was free.

Worst airport parking we have come across was Luton or Stanstead - can't remember which one, mega expensive. We had a friend drop us off at one of them and she had to pay to get out of the airport !!!!!! She did not even park, just stopped to offload us !!!

Parking at Gatwick is normally at one of the close by B&B, they are happy for us just to park there for a reasonable fee, they drop you off at the airport and you taxi back to the B&B. Better pricing than the onsite airport parking.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 16th, 2017, 5:05 pm

StokeySue wrote:I've discovered that the entry fee for the Pembrokshire County Show this week is £19 per head :shock:

While you do get some entertainment from the arena events, most of it is a commercial market, it doesnt seem goid value.

That does sound a lot! I suppose enough people will be willing to pay ... but a lot won't.

All airports are expensive but if you are meeting someone off a long haul flight it's a bit mean to make them get a bus or train to a cheaper parking spot. Best to wait until they've been through baggage collection then just pick them up when they call - cheaper than going in. Do you mean the free parking at hotels Zosh? A guy at work had his nice car trashed when he used that facility- the hotel staff then pointed to the small disclaimer notices around the car park. I would rather pay for more secure parking - though that's not always to be trusted.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 16th, 2017, 5:30 pm

EM Not at Hotels but at local B&B's. Some offer parking only, we are asked to pay cash, on arrival, I think it is a freebie for them, no record or VAT, back pocket job. Have used 2 different ones over the years, never had a problem - touch wood.

We are flying out of Southampton soon and the journey and parking is much better and cheaper too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » August 16th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Thanks Suffs, our daughter and youngest grandson are near there - we may need to investigate in the future.
Amber
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 17th, 2017, 9:50 am

Zosherooney wrote:I abhor paying for parking - ANYWHERE ! Dead money as far as I am concerned.

Not for the owners of the field/parking ground or those organising the event ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2017, 10:01 am

I don't see why it's dead money ... you're paying for the service provided ... the space on the field ... just as you pay for a seat on a train or to occupy a hotel room.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » August 17th, 2017, 10:08 am

suffolk wrote:I don't see why it's dead money ... you're paying for the service provided ... the space on the field ... just as you pay for a seat on a train or to occupy a hotel room.

:D or tax avoiding BB owners. ;)
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 17th, 2017, 2:29 pm

It just does not sit happily in my scope. I will always avoid paying for parking if I can. Dennis, we are taxed and over taxed every which way you turn. Since my Dad died this has come to light more and more...... Everyone has their hand out.... Wanting some sort of cut !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 17th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Isn't that how the economy works?

Worth being a ZSL member if you have kids and are in the area Amber. My lot are slightly nearer Whipsnade than Regent's Park but get great deals at both zoos because of membership. They go a lot.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 17th, 2017, 3:58 pm

That's how you are shafted Suff ! I now understand why my Dad chose very carefully where he was domiciled. The tax implications vary so much from country to country, he made a good decision even though it came with it's communication problems. Because we put up with it on a daily basis, I don't think many people actually realise how much we are charged by the British govt. because it has never been questioned..
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 17th, 2017, 4:14 pm

Zosherooney wrote: I don't think many people actually realise how much we are charged by the British govt. because it has never been questioned..{/quote}

Apart pf course form by every MP, councillor, journalist and quite a lot of taxpayers

It's not just about amount paid, it's about whether or not you think you get value for money, both taxes and services

It costs money to provide a parking space - land, landscaping / surfacing, clearing up,

Zosherooney

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 17th, 2017, 4:27 pm

I just think that we should question more on the subject of tax. It's something you grow up with and accept even though most don't realise the extent of it, or perhaps don't understand the way it is (mis) handled. Tax on tax on tax.... When you earn it, when you save it, when you spend it. So when you hear Tax Free, it probably isn't...

Dad used to say, there is nothing more certain than death and taxes, thankfully he did his level best to pay the least tax while he was alive. I think if he could see what we will owe now, he would not only turn in his grave but would probably march on Downing Street. :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 17th, 2017, 7:01 pm

StokeySue wrote:I've discovered that the entry fee for the Pembrokshire County Show this week is £19 per head :shock:

I find that with a lot of these things to be honest. Food shows are the same, you pay an expensive entry fee and then pay for everything on top, very few if any samples etc. Not worth the money anymore I'm afraid
Catherine
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 17th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Some years ago a girl on the BBC board, I forget her name, was extolling the merits of a Food Festival at Warwick Castle. We pre-booked tickets and were astonished to find when we got there that we had to also pay the entrance fee to the castle. :o

And it was crap. :evil:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 18th, 2017, 11:27 am

At least RHS Wisley don't charge an entrance fee if you are a member .. even when they have a show in the grounds and there is one coming up next month. :bounce: They also have craft fairs in the car park area, where again, if you are an RHS member you get in free, as is the parking :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 18th, 2017, 12:08 pm

:D :D :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop