Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Postby StokeySue » August 26th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Oh I used to forget where I’d parked the car

But today I went into the bedroom to put in my eye drops and came out having changed my slippers. I went into the kitchen to turn on the dishwasher and came back with a glass of water.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 26th, 2018, 8:24 pm

You can have no idea how comforting this is :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 26th, 2018, 8:50 pm

I was worried about this sort of thing because there is a history of dementia in my family.

but I was reassured by a doctor friend. You are fine if you go upstairs and can't remember what you came up for. That's just old age. The time to worry, apparently, is when you find yourself upstairs and don't know that you came to fetch something. :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » August 26th, 2018, 9:17 pm

earthmaiden wrote:That's hilarious Gruney!

The thing I forget a lot is where I parked the car. I live in a busy residents parking zone and park in a variety of streets. The other morning I was off to work at 4.30am and walking down the next street in the dark with the foraging foxes hunting for the car in an increasing panic when I remembered I had parked almost outside my house :rolleyes:.

A few years ago when I was still working I took a child from a foster placement to visit her parent and after supervising the visit I was taking her back to her foster placement ... but I couldn’t find my car in the multi storey ... after we’d walked back and forth on the floor where I thought I’d left my car the child told me we were on the wrong level, led me back to the lift, up two more floors and straight to my car. The child had severe learning difficulties ... :oops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 26th, 2018, 11:28 pm

:lol:

I remember in my last job where we had a vast car park, I lost count (or forgot!) how many times I 'lost' my car. So, to save me the embarrassment of wandering around the entire car park searching for it, I'd make myself park in the furthest away space from the main entrance that nobody else used. It worked a treat! Works well in supermarket car parks too. :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 26th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Axnd you don't get dents in your doors!! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » August 27th, 2018, 7:39 am

Several times I have parked in faraway spaces like that and come back to find someone has parked quite closely next to me ...... why would you??
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 27th, 2018, 8:46 am

Oh that's happened to me so many times ... and it's usually a big car with wide doors and they've parked really close even tho' there's loads of spaces ... think some people just have an extreme 'tidy gene' :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 27th, 2018, 9:01 am

Reminds me of the Oldie cartoon I used to have pinned to my notice board. It is of an engineer fitting a double stair lif and helping an old couple onto the seat whil saying "There you are. Now you won't forget why you want to go upstairs.

Quite often Mr R goes into the library to fetch something and an hour later I find him engrossed in something that has absolutely no connection with what he went in there to collect. I don't think it's anything to do with getting old. He's been like that for the last 60 odd years :rolleyes:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » September 2nd, 2018, 1:26 pm

Recieved a 'phone call last night telling that in February we are to be great grand-parents. :o :o :o Delighted but makes me feel very old, imagine going to bed with someone's great grandad. :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 2nd, 2018, 1:54 pm

Great news Chinch! :cocktail: Enjoy your new found oldness! :lol: :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » September 2nd, 2018, 1:59 pm

Thank You Tezza, news sure does travel fast, just opened my inbox to be offered a free sample of Tena Pads :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 2nd, 2018, 2:07 pm

:lol: Good timing! :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 2nd, 2018, 2:18 pm

I have just been putting an order into Lakeland, among the items ordered was a pair of kitchen scissors consequently I was asked my age :lol:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 2nd, 2018, 2:31 pm

Congratulations Chinch! Best to be prepared. ;)

I wonder if there is an upper age limit for buying scissors and things?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2018, 2:51 pm

Chinchilla_lady wrote:Recieved a 'phone call last night telling that in February we are to be great grand-parents. :o :o :o Delighted but makes me feel very old, imagine going to bed with someone's great grandad. :lol:

:bounce: :cocktail: :bounce: :cocktail: :bounce: :cocktail: :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 2nd, 2018, 3:38 pm

Congratulations Great Granny Chinch!! :D :luv: :cocktail:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 2nd, 2018, 4:24 pm

Congratulations the Cinches! :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 2nd, 2018, 6:02 pm

Lovely news Chinch :cocktail:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 2nd, 2018, 9:03 pm

I concur with that sentiment. Our grandson has just got engaged!! :o

I hope that makes sense, we opened a bottle of bubbly to celebrate, couldn't find the sealing stopper, so we finished it!! :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: :plink: :plink: :plink:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Gruney » October 22nd, 2018, 8:18 am

I think I'm getting too old for long journeys. I arrived home late on Saturday, from a two week holiday in Melness, in the Scottish Highlands. It's a neck of the woods I rather like - but it's a 14 hour drive, with three dogs, and I'm still stumbling around, now.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2018, 8:53 am

Flippin 'eck Gruney ... do what we do ... break the journey with an overnight stopover somewhere nice :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 22nd, 2018, 9:00 am

It's a bit tricky with three dogs, Suffs. I'm sure I'll be raring to go again soon :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 22nd, 2018, 9:02 am

I’ve given up on long solo drives. When I was young I would regularly drive my car from London to Devon after work on a Friday, then back on Sunday night. 250 miles each way. It was a small car and I was quite tired at the end of each leg, but OK the next day.

As my cars got bigger and more comfortable, and we got a motorway most of the way, it wasn’t too bad a drive, and with two drivers in the family we could get there in time to go out on a Friday night.

When my parents were ill, I did do the return trip in a day on a few occasions, but driving a car with over 250hp made it less stressful.

I did try a solo return trip a couple of years ago and felt really dreadful for two or three days afterwards. So now it’s an overnight each time, and preferably two drivers, as long as OH is free to come with me. Being allergic to furry animals I’ve never had one in the car, but that must add to the difficulty.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » October 22nd, 2018, 11:28 am

Ooooh Gruney, how lovely! Hope you and the dogs had a lovely time. Love Sutherland. Me and my dear (now deceased) friend had a slap-up feed and a pint at the Craggan Inn just before she fell ill- would have been the end of March 2017. Fantastic view towards the Summer Isles. :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 22nd, 2018, 11:44 am

Yes, it's a great place, isn't it? I went to the Craggan every evening, for a couple of early doors swifties - I couldn't have been made more welcome - Kate and Hamish, you just possibly may recall. Have you picked up on the proposed satellite launching plans? The site will be justover the hill to rhe rear of the Craggan - it's certainly dividing opinion!
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2018, 11:54 am

Hmmm ... many Best Western hotels will take up to two dogs (with owner ;) ) but not three ............ :(

We often use a Best Western as an overnight stop.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 22nd, 2018, 12:02 pm

Gruney wrote:Have you picked up on the proposed satellite launching plans? The site will be justover the hill to rhe rear of the Craggan - it's certainly dividing opinion!

I bet it is! Still, more passing trade for the Craggan I suppose.... :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 22nd, 2018, 12:17 pm

It sounds wonderful but that was a long drive! I used to drive to Durham and back (from Wiltshire) every year to take my son to a sport summer school. I remember really feeling it on one of the trips back. It's a bit worrying really to think how many people drive when tired. My 40 mile trip home from night shifts is a challenge sometimes.

Can't wait to go on a long trip to Scotland when I retire!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2018, 1:11 pm

When we went to Skye we flew from Norwich to Glasgow ... stayed with friends overnight then got a hire car for the rest of the journey ... but we didn't take any dogs with us (although the cottage had been home to two large wet Newfoundlands for a week ... they left a 'presence' )
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 13th, 2019, 12:44 pm

I thought I would revise this because I am clearly loosing it today. I got a head of celery out of the fridge in the kitchen to make soup. I them got a rolling pin out of the drawer where it is kept. The latter was to bash up a bag of loose icecubes which had stuck together.

I bashed up the ice, got out what I wanted and strated to clear up the kitchen table before lunch. A little time after Mr R asked why there was a pool of water on the floor. You have probably worked itvout. The ice was in the drawer with the celery and the rolling in was in the fridge. :scared: :scared:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 13th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Oh dear Rats!

Having a fridge freezer it’s not unknown for things to end up behind the wrong door

On a similar not I just spent a good five minutes sorting through the veg drawer in the fridge looking for a small bag of lettuce, which of course I had already removed and put next to my plate :?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 14th, 2019, 5:44 am

Snap! Sue I do stuff like that and get very frustrated with myself.

Recently I keep loosing things. I make a conscious effort to remember where I have put stuff so as not to have these situations and things still go missing. This build has not helped! My head has been so full of detail at times it feels fit to burst. I have lists of lists and then loose the lists !!!!

An open tin of car food 'disappeared' last week, I put it 'somewhere' up high away from nosey paws and today found it down the back of some freestanding cupboards with the cat knife glued to the carpet !!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 14th, 2019, 6:35 am

Last week, I put my watch in my pocket - and wondered why my car keys keot slipping off my wrist.
Gruney
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 14th, 2019, 7:51 am

Today, to cheer me up, I will be going up to London to have lunch with a group of school friends. I will be the youngest there!! :)

Trouble is they all seem fitter than me. The oldest is 83, or 84...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » May 14th, 2019, 8:27 am

StokeySue wrote:Oh dear Rats!

Having a fridge freezer it’s not unknown for things to end up behind the wrong door

On a similar not I just spent a good five minutes sorting through the veg drawer in the fridge looking for a small bag of lettuce, which of course I had already removed and put next to my plate :?

It's worse than that Sue. This fridge is in the kitchen but the freezer is in the cellar :oops:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 14th, 2019, 8:28 am

... the cat knife?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 14th, 2019, 8:59 am

The other day the weeds from the veg patch went in the recycling instead of the garden waste bin :oops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2019, 11:01 am

suffolk wrote:The other day the weeds from the veg patch went in the recycling instead of the garden waste bin :oops:

The thing I do constantly is to pick up two things off the table or the work surface, one to stow away, one to throw away

And put them down the wrong way round, I’m coming to the conclusion it’s a multitask too far

I have lost (properly lost, they’ve been absent for weeks) the kitchen scissors. My assumption is that I threw them out with the debris from trimming a bunch of flowers, I tend to wrap The trimmings in the paper they came in and throw them in the pin, it’s the one load of rubbish I’d neither feel nor see them in, if the stems were quite twiggy
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 14th, 2019, 11:05 am

suffolk wrote:The other day the weeds from the veg patch went in the recycling instead of the garden waste bin :oops:

Oh I'm always doing that!! :D

Somewhere at the bottom of our water butt is my previous vegetable knife. I took knife out by accident with me one day with the bits for the compost bin and meant to drop it into the kitchen sink on my way back into the house. Why I instead dropped it into the water butt (which is just outside the kitchen) I know not... :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » May 14th, 2019, 11:12 am

Zosherooney wrote:An open tin of car food

Is that for an Eco friendly car, mine runs on Diesel :oops: :oops:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 14th, 2019, 11:29 am

Sue .... I’ll ask OH ... he’s usually got the kitchen scissors in the studio ... :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Oat » May 14th, 2019, 1:49 pm

While on holiday we met a couple at a bus stop we got chatting and she asked me where we were staying, I was so chuffed with myself because I remembered the name and told her. She then asked the name of the hotel, I could not remember not a clue, told her I had no idea and laughed. She also laughed as she picked up my wrist complete with the hotel name band :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oat
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 14th, 2019, 3:15 pm

EM should have been CAT knife, it's broken straight off at the end and fits perfectly flat to the bottom of a cat food tin, that way they get ALL the gravy or jelly :chops:

I am sure I have lost a pair of secateurs in a pile of garden rubbish, probably rusting away somewhere :|
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 11th, 2019, 10:24 am

I bought a new combination padlock for my swimming locker yesterday. I have just ordered a magnifying glass from Amazon so that I can read the instructions. :o :o :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 12th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I bought a new combination padlock for my swimming locker yesterday. I have just ordered a magnifying glass from Amazon so that I can read the instructions. :o :o :o

:lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » July 12th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I bought a new combination padlock for my swimming locker yesterday. I have just ordered a magnifying glass from Amazon so that I can read the instructions. :o :o :o

Why do they make the writing so damn small sometimes? I swear it would be impossible for someone with perfect eyesight to see.....that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;) .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2019, 3:56 pm

I bought a “large print” combination lock
Unfortunately it hadn’t occurred to the manufacturer that the marks to which the numbers lined up also needed to be enlarged

I now have one on which I can line up the numbers in a single column on the narrow edge, much easier and far more logical. The make is Master and it’s TSA approved. Bought a single, it’s this one

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6069148?gclsrc=aw.ds&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|acid:444-797-0832|cid:189949525|agid:18074417725|tid:aud-484139255701:pla-265751735936|crid:77627774245|nw:g|rnd:6784366154401813428|dvc:t|adp:1o2|mt:|loc:9046004&gclid=CjwKCAjw36DpBRAYEiwAmVVDMJmd5gXvZ4myQ7jrKa6qMB9BMyups8sFumcVGKU06nYUSNEBOIusHBoCC8sQAvD_BwE
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 12th, 2019, 4:47 pm

I have no problem reading the padlock numbers but the instructions are so tiny I can’t work out how to set it. :o :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Can you use you phone camera? That’s what a lot of people with poor eyesight do
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop