Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Postby Pepper Pig » February 25th, 2018, 5:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 25th, 2018, 5:43 pm

:lol:
I´m just pondering whether to go and slump in front of the TV, or just sit on the sofa and stare at it :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 25th, 2018, 6:05 pm

KK - :lol: :lol:

Suelle wrote: Not much good having a large percentage of the workforce who daren't leave the house when it's cold, is it? :? ;)

This is something I have been pondering over for a while. There seem to still be quite a few perks for people who are 60 and over whether it be free prescriptions, reduced price entry to places and various other things. Now that the retirement age is 65-66 depending on one's age, why is this? I am over 60, in full employment and not yet eligible to draw state pension. I am delighted when I get something reduced or free but my circumstances are no different than they were when I was 59.

Then, as you say, in another year I am told I must keep warm, have the neighbours watch out for me and all the rest but it will still be fine for me to leave the house in the snow at 3.30am and drive down a motorway. It's not very joined up thinking is it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 25th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Some perks move with the retirement age, earthmaiden. OH got his bus pass at 60 (14 years ago), but I had to wait until I was 64 last year, as the retirement age for women had changed in the meantime.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » February 25th, 2018, 9:21 pm

Whereas in Greater London you get your Oyster 60+ at, well, 60. Male or female.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 26th, 2018, 12:53 am

Exactly, there's no uniformity ... not that I'm complaining but it seems daft.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 26th, 2018, 10:44 am

Yes, my friend who is less than a year older than me got her state pension a couple of years ago and I have to wait until Sept 2019.
Thank goodness for the 60+ Oyster! It is a real boon as I had to give up working 2 years ago because I was unwell.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 26th, 2018, 11:16 am

I got my Oyster just as I had to give up driving :luv:
I do use cabs as well, I reckon if I'm neither maintaining a car (£470 on insurance alone in the final) or paying fares I can afford the odd one
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 26th, 2018, 11:17 am

I got my Oyster just as I had to give up driving :luv:
I do use cabs as well, I reckon if I'm neither maintaining a car (£470 on insurance alone in the final) or paying fares I can afford the odd one
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 26th, 2018, 11:25 am

earthmaiden wrote:Exactly, there's no uniformity ... not that I'm complaining but it seems daft.

But there is no uniformity to 'getting old' is there? My late ex MIL was old at 40 and looking forward to moving into 'an old person's bungalow' whereas at that age I was a full time student doing my degree at art school and being wooed and falling for a student almost half my age. Despite my knackered thyroid and my dodgy knees my younger brother's general health is far worse than mine ... my MIL who is ten years my senior is out late several evenings a week playing in a ukelele band whereas my neighbours of a similar age are tucked up in bed by 9pm.

To me it seems quite logical that the introduction of 'the perks of old age' should be introduced in a randomly staggered and quite illogical way :lol: :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 26th, 2018, 12:17 pm

:lol: :lol: I know, it's real British logic isn't it! I know that many really struggle with finances due to the job market, health, travel etc at 60 which is probably why they left such perks alone. I'd hate those people to lose the perks and although I feel a bit guilty when accepting them myself (yes, I know I could pay but I don't!), I don't actually use them that much which is probably how it was calculated to be. I still don't understand the % off at B&Q and similar but it's very kind of them anyway :). Perhaps at that age people are doing things to their houses ready for retirement and spend well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 26th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Think the B&Q thing is to keep the place busy on a day when there's usually little demand from the professional builders or younger DIYers who usually go at weekends. After all, they have to staff and light the place so it's best to try to sell stuff on the slack days.

That's part of the premise behind the free bus pass too ... the local councils subsidise the bus companies so that pensioners can travel into the towns and use the town centre shops and facilities FOC ... there was an idiot on the Jeremy Vine programme the other week complaining that bus companies are going out of business because they have to give pensioners free rides ....... she didn't understand that the companies do get paid to service these routes throughout the day otherwise they'd have buses standing idle or running empty in order to provide a service to get workers to and from work. There are other benefits too, both to the local community and businesses ... lots of info here https://greenerjourneys.com/wp-content/ ... r-2014.pdf
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 26th, 2018, 1:55 pm

I suppose places like B&Q have done their sums and it's worthwhile for them. As for the buses, of course there are huge benefits to communities and people as well as employment for drivers - but it isn't cheap. The link is interesting and I'm glad the cost evens out - I don't think it always did. Many people who use the service wouldn't make some of the journeys if they weren't free. I have noticed that when I go on a bus with GD during the day I am often the only paying passenger,
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 26th, 2018, 2:17 pm

In London and other metropolitan areas there is asgnificant benefit in cutting down the number of car journeys, both reducing congestion and pollution. School age children also get free journeys which discourages parents from the school run
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 26th, 2018, 5:04 pm

It isn’t always a popular thing this free Oyster 60+. :o

A friend of mine in the BBC Concert Orchestra (where he’s been since his twenties) has one and it saves him hundreds of pounds as they rehearse and play all over London. The younger members are not impressed at all. :shock:

I know you can offset it against your income tax but the basic wage of an orchestral musician is not great.

My elder daughter is on a career break from the Met Police but whilst she was serving she also got free Oyster travel. (And free coffee in MacDonald’s). ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 21st, 2018, 12:51 pm

Hrrrmph. Neither me or Mr Pig have been able to get the lid off the Toilet Duck this morning. :o

We’ve ordered a couple of Screwy Louies . . . :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 21st, 2018, 12:58 pm

I'm about to book an electrician to do two proper electrician jobs. But whike he is here, I will get him to replace the bulbs in all the bulkhead lights.
Yes, it still only takes one Stokey to change a light bulb :idea: but I'll be darned if I can get those fiddly covers back on securely now, rather glad I've thought of adding it to his list :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 21st, 2018, 1:14 pm

StokeySue wrote:Yes, it still only takes one Stokey to change a light bulb :idea: but I'll be darned if I can get those fiddly covers back on securely now, rather glad I've thought of adding it to his list :D

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 21st, 2018, 1:42 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Hrrrmph. Neither me or Mr Pig have been able to get the lid off the Toilet Duck this morning. :o

We’ve ordered a couple of Screwy Louies . . . :oops: :oops: :oops:

I couldn't do it either even with a Screwy Louie. It's the pressing in and turning at the same time so I use a pair of pliers as well as the SL. Complicated way to clean the loo though. :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 21st, 2018, 1:58 pm

I struggle with bleach bottles too .. as Rats says. It's the pushing in and turning at the same time. Hadn't thought of pliers.

A friend's young grandson recently asked her if she was born in the Stone age.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 21st, 2018, 2:56 pm

I get dressed/undressed sitting down now, which I certainly used not to do! I can't remember when I started :oops:
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 21st, 2018, 5:19 pm

I can just about do undressing standing up but am always sat sitting when I get dressed. ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 21st, 2018, 5:34 pm

It's all very well doing kiddie proof tops but there have NEVER been any kiddies in our house and we (I) struggle with tops and get highly frustrated when I want to get my washing on the line NOW and the machine has a kiddie time lock GGrrrrr!

I AM GROWN UP AND WANT GROWN UP RULES WaaaaaaaaaH !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 21st, 2018, 5:38 pm

earthmaiden wrote:A friend's young grandson recently asked her if she was born in the Stone age.

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 21st, 2018, 5:45 pm

I once asked my Mum what was it like wearing a crinoline, my excuse was that I was fairly young at the time. Fortunately she laughed.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 21st, 2018, 9:04 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I can just about do undressing standing up but am always sat sitting when I get dressed. ;)

Just you wait ... :lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 21st, 2018, 9:57 pm

Our pianist friend dressed standing up when he was "quite old". Caught his toe in his underpants and fell over. When he put his hand out to steady himself, it went through the bedroom window and the broken glass sliced the tendons in his hand. Not good for a pianist :(

Sit down and stay safe!!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby KC2 » March 21st, 2018, 11:04 pm

aero280 wrote:Our pianist friend dressed standing up when he was "quite old". Caught his toe in his underpants and fell over. When he put his hand out to steady himself, it went through the bedroom window and the broken glass sliced the tendons in his hand. Not good for a pianist :(

Sit down and stay safe!!

Ouch, what an incredibly unfortunate set of events ...
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 22nd, 2018, 12:19 am

Busybee wrote:I once asked my Mum what was it like wearing a crinoline, BB

Zosherooney wrote:I want to get my washing on the line NOW and the machine has a kiddie time lock GGrrrrr!

I thought that the time lag was a safety feature to prevent people of any age getting their hands mangled.

Goodness aero :o . It must be quite hard to get dressed sitting down - with the exception of socks, tights etc.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 22nd, 2018, 2:42 am

KC2 wrote:I can't remember when I started

Exactly.
What was that again??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 22nd, 2018, 2:46 am

All this chat reminds me of a story about two 80 - year -olds who went for a check- up.
The doctor said they were both remarkably healthy, but should write things down so they didn´t forget.
When they got home, the wife said:
" John, can you get me some toast and strawberry jam? I´m a bit peckish. Write it down, dear, so you don´t forget."
" I won´t forget - strawberry jam and toast! How can I forget that?"
25 minutes later, John appeared with two fried eggs and a sausage.
His wife exclaimed:
" JOHN!! YOU´VE FORGOTTEN THE BACON!!"
:lol: :lol:
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 22nd, 2018, 5:33 am

I am finding recently that it happens more and more these days that when I am.telling someone a story, I can go off on so many tangents that I can't find my way back to the original gist. This is definitely happening more frequently lately.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 22nd, 2018, 10:40 am

No, I don't think the time lock is for kiddies, it's to protect human fingers of all ages

My washing machine is a fairly new Samsung and it's clever - the time delay is part of the programme, it doesn't show zero minutes remaining or chirp to tell you it has finished until the lock releases. It is so much less frustrating, it's quite surprising
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 22nd, 2018, 11:05 am

I suppose I must be getting older - but if that's the case, why do women keep telling me to grow up?
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 22nd, 2018, 12:58 pm

A paisley eiderdown has just sold on Bargain Hunt for £20. :o :o :o

Aside from my being in the wrong business I am wondering if any of my contemporaries have kept their eiderdowns. :lol:

Mine went out in the sixties.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 22nd, 2018, 1:12 pm

The friend I am staying with this weekend has just got rid of her eiderdowns, though I think the condition was "dog basket only" by then
I think the one I slept under as a child was given to a neighbour who wanted the feathers in the eighties
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 22nd, 2018, 6:10 pm

If only we'd kept all the old stuff .... :lol: . My Paisley eiderdown was sold when we went to Australia. :lol: When we came back I bought a groovy purple one with synthetic filling ... it fell to bits after a few years. We'd gone onto a quilt by then but I think it was on DD's bed until she eventually had a quilt.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 22nd, 2018, 7:33 pm

It's just dawned on me - none of us is old - we're retro. I feel a lot better now.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Amber » March 22nd, 2018, 10:17 pm

StokeySue wrote:No, I don't think the time lock is for kiddies, it's to protect human fingers of all ages

My washing machine is a fairly new Samsung and it's clever - the time delay is part of the programme, it doesn't show zero minutes remaining or chirp to tell you it has finished until the lock releases. It is so much less frustrating, it's quite surprising

I have a new Samsung too, but that last ‘minute’ seems to be a lot more than just 60 seconds...or is that just me??

On the other hand, trying to spin just one hand washed jumper is impossible :x . I have to add other weights (spare towels) to get the fast spin to work.
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 22nd, 2018, 10:57 pm

I think that Samsung last minute has the same effect on your perception as the two minute timer on a toothbrush, which feels lije five when you are trying to rush out, or the five minutes shown on a bus stop display that feels like forever
I think the washing machine minute is the same as the one on my kitchen timer :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 23rd, 2018, 5:35 pm

StokeySue wrote:I think that Samsung last minute has the same effect on your perception as the five minutes shown on a bus stop display that feels like forever

That's because it is!
The timings on the bus stop count downs as well as the order the buses come in often don't seem to bear any relationship to the actuality :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 26th, 2018, 4:06 pm

My ex neighbour who now lives in Nottingham but stayed with me at the weekend was saying that come hell or high water she never ever goes to the GP. However, her son-in-law was taken very ill last week with a massive ear infection. He couldn't stand up and she was minding the grandchildren. She rang the surgery demanding a home visit . . . . . :o :o She was very surprised to hear that this doesn't happen any more! :rolleyes:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 26th, 2018, 4:09 pm

earthmaiden wrote:If only we'd kept all the old stuff .... :lol:

My husband has. :evil: Except the stuff he's kept is generally worthless. He left the RAF in 1980 but still has his boots (unworn since then) and cape (ditto) and many, many other useless things.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 26th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Let's hope that one day the tide will turn and your children will benefit PP :lol: :lol:.

Everything my parents chose to keep was the wrong stuff too :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 26th, 2018, 8:00 pm

When your driving licence needs renewing on or before your 70th birthday with a declaration that you are still fit to drive ! :rolleyes: And you discover along with the said driving licence, other paperwork you had forgotten all about ( See my post on CB) :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 5th, 2018, 6:31 pm

When hockey sticks and squash rackets are a totally different shape from when you last used them. :o :o :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 5th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:My ex neighbour who now lives in Nottingham but stayed with me at the weekend was saying that come hell or high water she never ever goes to the GP. However, her son-in-law was taken very ill last week with a massive ear infection. He couldn't stand up and she was minding the grandchildren. She rang the surgery demanding a home visit . . . . . :o :o She was very surprised to hear that this doesn't happen any more! :rolleyes:

Just caught up with this. We can still ask for, and get Gp home visits the same day. In fact there have been a few times when said gp has visited himself to reassure or check on those who he thinks are vunerable, How lucky is thant??
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Gruney » April 5th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Yesterday, I took delivery of Simon Hopkinson's "Roast Chicken And Other Stories". I was finding it quite difficult to read, until I realised that the print size was much smaller than normal. It wouldn't have bothered me a couple of years ago.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 6th, 2018, 8:36 am

I felt very old yesterday when Laura came to do our hair and she called me "Ma Belle" I would love to know why elderly ladies are addressed thus but elderly men are often called "Jeune homme" :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 9th, 2018, 12:18 pm

My mother gets home visits when she needs them, but then she'd need an ambulance to get to the doctor's otherwise :shock: I think she is very well cared for, really.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop