Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Postby Pepper Pig » August 28th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Hearing my joints complaining also reminds me of my age . . . . :(
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » August 28th, 2017, 6:16 pm

i get the same as suffolk.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 28th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Photobucket is dead as far as any casual user is concerned. You can see your photos for free. And only download them one at a time.

If you want to post a link to them you will need to upgrade to the $199 dollars a year version.

If you want to post the actual image, you have to upgrade to the $400 version.

So it's useless for all practical purposes.

There are other hosting services like Imgur, Flickr, possibly Picasa, and others that are free - at the moment.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby hickybank » August 29th, 2017, 7:02 am

Thanks, I have checked and as usual you are right so I will stop using them.
I have a Flickr account which is a lot better anyway, I think photobucket must be struggling.
BTW I could see the picture this end but that disappeared with the message already given
Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 29th, 2017, 1:24 pm

I've just had a letter inviting me to claim a Winter Fuel Payment. Now I feel VERY old indeed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 29th, 2017, 1:28 pm

I get one of those :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 29th, 2017, 6:28 pm

I am looking forward to those financial perks ... as I'm in the age group that's been messed about with pensions twice already I won't be surprised if they don't get rid of them when I get there!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 29th, 2017, 6:37 pm

One of my friendly local shop assistants got chatting with me for the first time tonight across the till. We got onto the subject of age. He guessed me at 35 :hi5: He was just as flattered when I guessed him at 22. Apparently he's 35. How difficult it is to guess someone's age. Really good of course if the guessee underestimates! Or is that otherwise known as flirting? :lol: :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby hickybank » August 29th, 2017, 7:08 pm

I have been getting the winter allowance for 15 years now, thats what you call old :lol: :lol:
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 29th, 2017, 8:54 pm

I worked with a man who looked to be 50. A full head of hair but wavy and grey. His favourite question was "How old do you think I am?". The usual reply was the polite "40? 45?".

"Everybody says that! I'm 32!" :D
aero280
Site Admin

Postby karadekoolaid » August 29th, 2017, 11:37 pm

You`re only as old as you feel, they say.
After 5 hours in the garden yesterday, weeding, reorganising plants, redefining the lawn`s borders, I`d say I`m probably about 137 years old 8-) 8-) :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But if someone mentioned " party" - I`d be back to 35! :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 30th, 2017, 7:20 am

There used to be a terrible make over concept tv programme where they took people, who were deemed to look older than they were, onto the streets to ask people how old they thought they looked. (Zoom in close on the look of embarrassed horror when the 'contestant' is told the results of the street poll.) They were then given a make over and taken back out and reassessed by random strangers. Thing is, the make over usually involved not just grooming, but serious dental work, laser surgery, botox etc :shock: I remember one man had terrible thread veins and admitted he drank 'quite a lot' er as in, it turned out, amounts that strongly suggested he had a serious problem (ten pints on a usual night sort of thing.) After the make over (involving very painful laser treatment on the thread veins) he said he would 'definitely drink less' from now on. The man needed counselling, not laser surgery!

Sorry slightly off topic, but aero's anecdote reminded me of it.

Thing is we may feel young, but put us in a room full of twenty somethings and we will probably betray some sentiment or other that definitely ages us (as in demonstrates that we are not young), as far as they are concerned. Why should we be any different from our parents' and their contemporaries...? I do try to be though. But sometimes I catch myself. e.g. My parents: all modern music sounds the same. By which they meant what was on TOTP. I feel the same about certain types of music, just like them, and cannot see any merit in it. And nor do I particularly want to investigate it further to find any. Ditto did my parents. I also now quite enjoy Which Magazine. Surely a bench mark of middle agedness ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby dennispc » August 30th, 2017, 8:01 am

hickybank wrote:I have been getting the winter allowance for 15 years now, thats what you call old :lol: :lol:

If that's old hicky, then I'm ancient. :lol:

My mind's 35, my brain (when it works) is 105, body? Like KK, depends what's happening.

Like others I've had the usual experiences of waiting, happily, at the side of the road and traffic stops - the other day it was a lorry driver. That was a surprise. And the Dad, who shouted at his little tacker, pedalling furiously along the pavement on his trike, 'mind that old man'.

The café where I went to the counter to order, not realising you had to pay then, so waitress had to come over and tell me the system. OH told me afterwards, that one had said to the other, the classic, 'Bless'. :D
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 30th, 2017, 8:45 am

Herbie - I remember that programme. They took people into the street devoid of any makeup or hairdo for the 'before' and then all tarted up for the 'afterwards'. Very few people I know look great before their morning grooming!

I thought of something else last night. At work the other day someone said they were no longer going to use straws as the plastic is known to be causing huge environmental problems. I work with mostly under-35s. I was genuinely surprised as to why they just didn't use the straws made from waxed paper which I thought had been around all my life. When I mentioned it, not one person could remember ever seeing one :? . When did they disappear?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 30th, 2017, 9:15 am

It was the fact that they did such invasive work on them, that bothered me. Dental implants etc. It was sending out the wrong message. 'Youthful appearance is everything'.

re young ones not knowing about stuff like waxy straws, it's surprising what they have picked up off their parents (not being sarcastic.) Two of the 25 year olds at work are both versed in Hitch Hiker, but also, Tom Lehrer. Now even I got my familiarity with him from my parents so it must be going down the generations.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 30th, 2017, 9:16 am

It was the fact that they did such invasive work on them, that bothered me. Dental implants etc. It was sending out the wrong message. 'Youthful appearance is everything'.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 30th, 2017, 9:33 am

Yes I agree Herbie. It was what I always liked about Trinny & Susannah- their concept was much more about assisting women in finding out what suited them.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » August 30th, 2017, 10:55 am

Herbidacious wrote:Thing is we may feel young, but put us in a room full of twenty somethings and we will probably betray some sentiment or other that definitely ages us (as in demonstrates that we are not young), as far as they are concerned.

it sometimes happens the other way round. i was doing another degree a decade ago and was chatting with some of the (normal age) full time students when i said i'd been up early to take my son swimming at six am. 'oh, how sweet' one said. i looked at her quizzically and said 'what do you mean?' she said 'that you got up early to take your little one swimming'. so i asked her how old she thought i was. '32' was the answer. i pointed out that my son was seveteen, it was a training session and i was fifty.
she told me not to be silly.
another friend, who was in her late seventies and doing the same degree, used to have the occasional ten minute nap at her work bench. she'd leave a note by her head to say 'don't worry, i'm just having a nap' because people would shake her to see if she was still alive!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 30th, 2017, 11:02 am

scullion wrote:it sometimes happens the other way round. i was doing another degree a decade ago and was chatting with some of the (normal age) full time students when i said i'd been up early to take my son swimming at six am. 'oh, how sweet' one said. i looked at her quizzically and said 'what do you mean?' she said 'that you got up early to take your little one swimming'. so i asked her how old she thought i was. '32' was the answer. i pointed out that my son was seveteen, it was a training session and i was fifty.
she told me not to be silly.

A similar thing happened to me when I was 40 + and at art school ... there was a function open to the public ... a fellow student yelled to me 'Suffs, your dad's here!' ..... and in walked my then husband ......... I don't know who was most embarrassed ... the student or my husband :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 30th, 2017, 1:54 pm

I don't think it can have happened yet. Women usually say to me - "When are you going to grow up?"
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 30th, 2017, 5:16 pm

When I took my daughter to uni for the first time she found she was sharing a room in the halls with another girl. The other girl's dad couldn't understand when I went to leave, he had thought I was one of the students!

Guess what! This afternoon I was browsing round the shops with a friend and we came across paper drinking straws for sale! Looking forward to proving I am not such an old fogey after all. 8-)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 31st, 2017, 9:30 am

earthmaiden wrote:When I took my daughter to uni for the first time she found she was sharing a room in the halls with another girl. The other girl's dad couldn't understand when I went to leave, he had thought I was one of the students!

Show off :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 31st, 2017, 11:22 am

Herbidacious wrote:It was the fact that they did such invasive work on them, that bothered me. Dental implants etc. It was sending out the wrong message. 'Youthful appearance is everything'.

Those participants had all, without exception, let themselves go hadn't they ? Drinking too much, smoking, never visiting a dentist ... etc. No wonder they all looked great afterwards :aww:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 31st, 2017, 11:49 am

Herbidacious wrote:Show off :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Suffice to say that I was (am) quite young to have offspring of that age and I was wearing scruffy jeans, t-shirt, trainers and a big shirt which was the student garb of the day
whereas most mummies were looking quite elegant .... but he still probably needed to go to Specsavers!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby FoodMary » September 3rd, 2017, 3:31 pm

I am regarded as "a youngster" where I now live - I was 75 this month! I was worried stiff about moving into a flat in "sheltered housing" but actually I am so settled and busy and closer to my children I wonder why I ever gave worry a thought! Some of the activities are not my cuppa but I happily play cards twice a week and occasionally go to a coffee morning (usually for a good cause).

I have also got out my easel and paints - the flat windows are huge so no problem with light and as I have an upstairs flat (there is a stair lift if I need it) I have a wonderful view (we are on a hill) across the valley to the hills the other side. As you all know I have adopted a cat - me with a cat!!!!!!!, but she is a sweety and is lying across my feet as I type this and if I want to go away there is always a lovely neighbour who looks after her.

I did say I would grow old gracefully- now I'm da..ed if I will!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 5th, 2017, 7:30 pm

This afternoon I had to go to the post office and had four year old nephew in tow. Mum was parked up outside the shop door awaiting our return. Nephew throughout the whole queueing process was saying 'I want, I want.. ' pointing at things he fancied me buying for him, sweets mainly. I told him to ask his Nan. He fled quicker than the eye could see to the shop door towards my Mum and a gentleman trying to get in stepped aside, heard nephew's excited cries of 'Nan, Nan!' looked at me and said 'Alright Nan?'
:shock: :lol:
I must get the grey roots done! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 8th, 2017, 2:14 pm

earthmaiden wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:Show off :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Suffice to say that I was (am) quite young to have offspring of that age and I was wearing scruffy jeans, t-shirt, trainers and a big shirt which was the student garb of the day
whereas most mummies were looking quite elegant .... but he still probably needed to go to Specsavers!

A nurse at the hospital said she thought I was my mother's granddaughter. I suppose though, I almost could be. She is 39 years older than me. I am not sure my mother was pleased by this comment, though! She is forever telling me that people say they can't believe he's 89 :)

Mary I am glad you are happy there. It sounds lovely.
Last edited by Herbidacious on September 8th, 2017, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 8th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Never mind police men and doctors looking too young, why have the RAF put a cadet in charge of the Irma supplies drop? Made me feel ancient, surely he can't be old enough to be group leader
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Luca » September 8th, 2017, 6:06 pm

:lol:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Gruney » September 8th, 2017, 7:06 pm

I'm off on holiday tomorrow, with an old pal. We started work together, and hit it off right from day one, as you can do. Over the years, we've done some quite daring and dangerous things - never had a cross word.

We first met in 1963 - that's 54 years ago!
Gruney
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 10th, 2017, 4:54 am

We travelled on a small twelve seater aircraft to get to Lady Elliot Island recently, I swear the pilot wasn't shaving yet!

BB

Actually after a fairly physical & strenuous couple of weeks I feel fairly old. Having a few days R&R before hitting Alice Springs and Ularu.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 10th, 2017, 6:26 am

My, BB you are certainly globe trotting, we move accommodation on the 12th but that is only a 2 hour drive to Cap Corse.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 10th, 2017, 6:34 am

I was trying to get down onto the floor yesterday to pull my bed away from the wall so that I could tighten the headboard screws. As I lowered myself onto my knees and grunted and groaned and grimaced Mum said 'Is the bed that heavy?' I said 'I haven't started pulling yet!' Oh dear.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 10th, 2017, 2:20 pm

I feel old today. It's Gd's 17th birthday and we have given her a course of driving lessons.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 11th, 2017, 9:45 am

earthmaiden wrote:I thought of something else last night. At work the other day someone said they were no longer going to use straws as the plastic is known to be causing huge environmental problems. I work with mostly under-35s. I was genuinely surprised as to why they just didn't use the straws made from waxed paper which I thought had been around all my life. When I mentioned it, not one person could remember ever seeing one :? . When did they disappear?

I noticed these in Sainsbury's yesterday but sold by the 'retro-/nostalgia' inspired brand, Tala. Very pretty they were too. Candy-stripe.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2017, 10:15 am

you can get paper ones very easily on line
My question is, why are straws more of a problem than any other plastic?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » September 11th, 2017, 12:58 pm

I don't feel that old suprisingly given my health issues but then I have an almost independent child and I'm (just), under 40 so that helps.

I've recently been perusing an ahem certain dating/hook up site, and won't consider anyone over 35, and it seems there's plenty of interest if I decide to take the plunge :D.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 11th, 2017, 1:14 pm

MagicMarmite wrote: I'm (just), under 40 so that helps.

Bottom line is, then, MM, that you are not quite old! In fact, that's pretty darned young imo.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 11th, 2017, 1:14 pm

MagicMarmite wrote: I'm (just), under 40 so that helps.

Bottom line is, then, MM, that you are not quite old! In fact, that's pretty darned young imo.

Ah and me getting to (if I do) say that suggests that I am quite old :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » September 11th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Maybe, or maybe it just means I had my daughter when I was young-23.
My body is much older and I'm very aware of it, but I intend to enjoy myself while I still can. ;)
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 11th, 2017, 2:06 pm

I think under 40 is intrinsically quite young, with independent offspring or not :) You may see what I mean when you are about to hit 50 ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2017, 2:11 pm

StokeySue wrote:you can get paper ones very easily on line
My question is, why are straws more of a problem than any other plastic?

I have since seen paper straws on sale but there doesn't seem to be much of a push to get people to change. Yes, all plastic is a problem but straws are something that cause a problem to pollution and wildlife which we can easily stop using, so fast food joints etc should be doing so.

https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/s ... usly-suck/

https://forcechange.com/238051/save-sea ... ic-straws/
Last edited by earthmaiden on September 11th, 2017, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 11th, 2017, 2:29 pm

I only ever use them if given one in a pub.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby dennispc » September 14th, 2017, 8:04 am

Roughly about your age MM I felt old, then forty years ago I met OH and stayed the same age ever since! :D

A week ago, went to the funeral of a neighbour who lives opposite - nice guy, would help anyone. He was ten years younger than me - that doesn't make me feel old - just grateful.

Monday - Membury Services Coach Park - very windy - my hat takes off. A young (16 - 35?) lady chases it and hands it back without any fuss. That might make me feel old but it gave us a smile at seeing decency is still considered normal.

All the best with the on-line stuff.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 14th, 2017, 8:16 am

I went to see my doctor on Tuesday
I now have that pharmacy carrier bag full of strips of tablets that often lurks in the kitchen of OAPs
That makes me feel old - or it would if they weren't working :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » September 14th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Just back from a holiday in the Italian lakes to celebrate DD's 40th birthday - now that made me feel old :lol: Lovely Italian waiter said I didn't look old enough to be her mother - well I was only 19 when I had her! 2 and a bit year old GS decided to stick a Tic Tac up his nose as we were coming in to land last night :terrified: Fortunately it eventually dissolved :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » September 14th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Stokey Sue
Not only do I have that, my pharmacy delivers them to me, and on top of that I don't have the strips, I have them in bottles as when I was on steroids my hands shook so much I struggled with them, and even a tiny foil cut wouldn't heal for ages!

No more steroids for now, I'm well enough not to need them but my illness is degenerative so it's only a matter of time really.
I was told by my consultant I'd be lucky to make 50, which is why I plan to enjoy myself as much as I can.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 4th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Just watching one of those antique competition programmes and a pair of wooden crutches with cloth/leather arm rests came up. It flashed through my mind that I hadn’t seen that type for a while. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 4th, 2017, 9:00 pm

I went to a toy museum and almost all the exhibits were toys that I had played with when younger... :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » October 4th, 2017, 10:08 pm

For years I've wondered why older people often look excessively kitted out for outdoor activity
Now I'm more inclined to slip and twist my ankles than I was, I use boots and stick that at 30 I'd have used for a hike up Ben Nevis (or similar) but I now need them to stroll safely up Box Hill (or similar)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop