Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Postby slimpersoninside » July 12th, 2019, 6:10 pm

StokeySue wrote:Can you use you phone camera? That’s what a lot of people with poor eyesight do

Now that's a top tip :tu: .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » July 12th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Why didn’t I think of that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2019, 6:37 pm

I've got a lovely magnifying glass which has magnets on it so it sticks to the fridge. It's so useful for reading labels and things.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2019, 6:52 pm

As a VIP I am the queen of the magnifying glass

I have two big loupes, Sherlock Holmes style, which belonged to my grandfather and OHs grandfather, I use both
I have a jeweller’s folding loupe of higher magnification, had that for about 50 years but it was my dad’s first
I have a modern LED illuminated magnifier
I have an app that makes the camera on the phone zoom better when used as a magnifier, it also lets me adjust the light

I use them all
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Yesterday I joined the Steradent brigade. :(

Like many of my contemporaries a victim of over dentistry in the 50/60’s am a bit surprised to have got this far, but I really can’t face the thought of implants and my new little denture seems fine.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 12th, 2019, 11:16 pm

How exciting! When I was small they were known as 'toy toosies' when my grandmother removed hers :lol:.

Hope you get on with it ok.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 14th, 2019, 9:59 am

Good luck with it Pepper Pig

Like many people her age my mother got full dentures due to overzealous dentistry in the 1950s, and when she was in her care home I had to arrange for a domiciliary visit from the dental hospital. The lovely lady dentist called me after to give a report, it turned out she couldn't do much for my mum (didn't think she would be able to, but due diligence etc) but had taken the opportunity to give the assistants a master class on denture care, so well worth £30 or whatever it was, as they had been clueless.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 14th, 2019, 10:30 am

I think part of the problem was that pre NHS the cost of going to the dentist was an enormous expense for many people. I remember my mum saying that she had been having problems with one tooth - she must have been in her early 30s - and my father said that all her visits to the dentist were too expensive so it would be cheaper for her to have them all out and to have dentures. :terrified: So I always knew my mother with dentures. She was fanatical about us going to the dentist and taking care of our teeth.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 14th, 2019, 11:24 am

That sounds exactly like my mum MTM.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 14th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:That sounds exactly like my mum MTM.

Tragic isn't it?
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 14th, 2019, 3:30 pm

My dentist was shocked when I mentioned that both my parents had almost full sets of dentures before they were 40, having grown up pre-NHS. I think younger generations don't realise how bad things were before the NHS, if you couldn't afford treatment, or how bad it could get if the system isn't adequately financed in the future.

Perversely, when my mother wanted her last few teeth removed in her 70s, so that she could have full dentures, she couldn't persuade an NHS dentist to do it!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » October 14th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I have known several people of my age who were not interested in anything but basic dental hygiene when younger and thought it would be easy just to have all teeth removed and replaced with dentures when they were older! It seems to have been a common belief in some circles. My father was obsessed with dental hygiene for which I am grateful now.

My grandmother had all sorts of gynaecological and back problems after going through a difficult birth in 1921. In the 1930's all her teeth were removed in the expectation that her health would improve, there may have been some bad ones but certainly not all of them. She had dentures, gynaecological problems and a bad back for the rest of her life.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 14th, 2019, 4:46 pm

I was thinking about this. All 4 grandparents plus mum had dentures but my dad didn’t, nor any of my aunties/uncles.

My denture has one little tooth on it. I think I need to be grateful. :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 14th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Mum's teeth were all removed as she had dental (gum I think) problems when pregnant, in 1954

In retrospect I am quite surprised, it was clearly a temporary issue, she was only 33, and of course she and my father were in a somewhat related field, so should have asked the right questions, but clearly didn't. Which I think is a reflection of how little attention was paid to dentistry then, even pharmacists just sold tooth brushes and dentifrice and trusted that extraction would sort out any issues that still emerged after regular brushing.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 14th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Both my parents had full sets of dentures :cry: Mum said she lost hers when she had 2 children in quick succession and in those days (late '40's) this was before the days of NHS. I presume her loss was due to lack of calcium .. not entirely sure that the old wives' tale was of the baby depleting the mum to be of calcium are/were true. Not sure why dad lost his teeth though … I think just bad diet when young.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 14th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Apparently it is due mainly to gum disease, which is what mum said,

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/teeth-and-gums-pregnant/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 15th, 2019, 5:07 pm

So does the introduction of fluoride into the water supply have anything to do with it?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 15th, 2019, 6:49 pm

When I was working in East London, I was told that many local people, pre-NHS, had all their teeth removed as a twenty-first birthday present in order to save money later in life. Families thought that it was an investment with a good return.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » October 15th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I think the introduction of fluoride into toothpaste did a lot to help prevent tooth decay, along with better dental instruction. As late as 1970 you were expected to lose a tooth for each child you had (which considering there was free milk for expectant mothers and so adequate calcium, is surprising).When I joined the water industry 25+ years ago fluoride was only added at the request of the local health authority in areas where the count was very low, I think in London and Thames Valley there were two very small areas. I don't think there are any in the same area now. Whether there was a time when it was more commonplace I don't know but modern water companies really don't want to add it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 15th, 2019, 7:03 pm

aero280 wrote:When I was working in East London, I was told that many local people, pre-NHS, had all their teeth removed as a twenty-first birthday present in order to save money later in life. Families thought that it was an investment with a good return.

That’s horrible! :o :o :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 16th, 2019, 8:52 am

While we’re on the dentist subject it appears that my dental practice are offering all sorts of beauty enhancers - Botox, fillers etc. Is this a sideline, a new thing or what?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 16th, 2019, 9:15 am

My nan had all her teeth out when she was 30, in the 1920s. I'm less sure about my other grandparents, but my parents, uncles and aunts all kept their teeth. They were around 20 years old when the NHS started, in the nick of time I guess. My concern is that as more people can afford some level of private care, it becomes politically possible to dismantle the system for ideological reasons.

On the subject of over-zealous dentistry, have we all got more fillings than subsequent generations?
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 16th, 2019, 9:30 am

Do you really think it is over zealous dentistry? When my children were small in the 1970s, attention to teeth cleaning, plaque removal, te effects of sugar etc. were all highlighted much more than they were to my generation and I think that pregnant and nursing mothers across the board had better nutrition during pregnancy, thus helping the baby develop strong teeth and bones. When DD was small they introduced teeth coatings as well - but you had to pay. I don't know if those adults now in their 40s who had it saw better results but children's teeth generally certainly seem better (I realise there are exceptions).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 16th, 2019, 9:48 am

We also had school dentistry. So no child went without dental care, something that’s woefully lacking now.

My son had tooth coating of some sort and now In his mid twenties hasn’t had a filling.

Working in an city Public Health Service we had our budgets repeatedly cut, child dental preventative/ health promotion services were one (of many) casualties. I fear that our recent improvements in dental health will disappear as today’s children often do not have access to NHS dentistry. It is an irritant that since moving back to Yorkshire I can’t get on an NHS list and am having to pay privately.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2019, 10:13 am

My teeth aren't great. Lots of fillings and they are not at all white, which apparently there is nothing one can do about. I had to have an extraction when I was about 10 (under gas: v traumatic) but due to arrogant dentist dismissing the school dentist's report that I had a cavity. (He also messed up my sister's teeth big time.)
Introduction of fluoride into the water system is supposed to have helped.
I'd not heard of the coating.

My mother has most of her teeth (albeit very yellow.) My father had all his taken out at about 40.

I've had two extractions as an adult - one was the dentist missing a lateral crack. The other was a baby tooth.

I really really need to go to the dentist. I think I might have two issues (one, an issue under a cap that the dentist is aware of, the other a possibly cavity in a tooth at the back of my mouth), but I stupidly keep putting it off.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2019, 10:15 am

Pepper Pig wrote:While we’re on the dentist subject it appears that my dental practice are offering all sorts of beauty enhancers - Botox, fillers etc. Is this a sideline, a new thing or what?

The dentist I used to go to near work offers these and STD screening :o

I suppose the botox etc indicates that teeth are all considered to be more part of the beauty industry than the healthcare system. Maybe because people have fewer cavities these days?

But STD's...?!!??
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 16th, 2019, 10:36 am

My dentist described my teeth as "a mouthful of metal", but when I was at school, every visit to the dentist involved a filling. I believe that the NHS paid dentists for each filling, so the had an incentive to do them.

The dentist was a Mr Hall, known to one and all as "Hacker" :o

A couple of brothers at my school were children of a local pharmacist. Neither had any fillings in their teeth when they left at 18 years old. Their parents supervised the teeth cleaning and checked it was done. As far as I'm aware, they weren't ever registered with a dentist, or at least said that they had never been to one. Most unusual.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2019, 11:57 am

Our dentist was Mr Baines aka "Baine the Pain". He'd be facing law suits for his shoddy work these days...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 16th, 2019, 12:22 pm

My old dentist........Mr Butcher, his wife also a dentist practiced under her maiden name. I wonder why? :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 16th, 2019, 12:28 pm

The first 2 dentists I ever remember going to were Australian. This would have been in the fifties. Was that a thing?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 16th, 2019, 1:11 pm

At the first dentist I can remember (NHS in Epsom) there was a rocking horse and dolls house in the waiting room and I used to look forward to going so I could play with them. In Norfolk we had Mr Rogers, I liked him too despite numerous fillings and two extractions using gas quite early on. I could never understand why people hated going to the dentist, the only place I kicked and screamed was the hairdressers :oops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » October 16th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:While we’re on the dentist subject it appears that my dental practice are offering all sorts of beauty enhancers - Botox, fillers etc. Is this a sideline, a new thing or what?

Yes, it is an easy way for the dentist to make more money. They have the room, equipment, time and skills. I used to process applications for an Aesthetic postgraduate programme. Applicants must have a medical or dentistry degree and be eligible to practise in the UK. The vast majority of people had a dentistry background.
smitch
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 16th, 2019, 3:45 pm

My fear of dentists started with the agony of the school ones, so my parents took me to a Mr Hagerty, up a flight of stairs right under White Hart Lane station. A lovely man. However, in my twenties, one week before I was getting married, I developed an abscess and two top front teeth were removed. I've had a plate ever since, with a few additions.

Decades later in the West Country, another dentist put me through total agony with some root canal work that eventually was done by our local hospital.

Perchance that dental surgeon moved to the practice we joined. Although he stayed at the practice, he went private, which we couldn't afford nor Denplan. Recently the practice closed its books to new NHS patients and will only treat existing ones if we have regular six monthly check ups. I doubt that will last long. With new houses going up everywhere I fear for the incomers' teeth.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 16th, 2019, 4:21 pm

My parents both had excellent teeth, with very few gaps when they passed away in their mid 90’s.
They would never let me or my sisters go to the school dentist, and took us to Mr Slack from being tiny.
I used to love going, he was so lovely, used to draw funny faces on my nails with the drill. I went to him until well into my twenties, when sadly he retired. I am lucky I’ve inherited good teeth, and I have an excellent NHS dentist...can’t believe how little they charge!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 18th, 2019, 5:19 pm

I don't think the school dentist was optional for us. They just came round periodically and checked our teeth, and passed on their verdict to parents who would then tell your normal NHS dentist. They were, allegedly, students, hence my dentist dismissing their 'diagnosis' and my tooth ending up being extracted.

I remember having a root canal done when I was an undergraduate. Thank god I didn’t know what was coming. It felt like the needle was going up through the roof of my mouth and into my brain.

I don't respond well to anaesthetic at the dentist i.e. it doesn't work, which increases my fear.

They also tell you (me) off so much, even when I go regularly. Nd there is always something you haven't done or done right.
visit 1
You need to floss.
visit 2
you need to floss and use interdental brushes (I can sell you some...)
visit 3
you need to floss and use the interdental brushes I sold you plus these ones that reach to the back of your mouth (even though you can't actually get them to reach.)

And, just to finish my gripe, they all seem to call themselves 'Dr' these days. Unless it's a Phd, they have no right to do this, are they? Or has this changed?

Oh I really do need to go though...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 18th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Sums it up Herbi!

Bye the bye, if you have a small denture and are staying home for the day is it OK to leave it upstairs in the bathroom and eat normally?

Asking for a friend . . . . :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2019, 5:47 pm

PP ... Who’s going to answer the door if the bell rings?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 18th, 2019, 5:56 pm

I thought you had to keep wearing dentures so that your remaining teeth didn't close in and so that your gums didn't start enjoying not having the teeth (tooth) there ;). Was only talking to friend today about standards of retired people slipping, she reminded me that one should be properly dressed by 9am in case anyone called (it followed on from my saying I had called on two separate acquaintances lately who were still I night clothes at 11am and 3pm. I have been known to have a pyjama day too :D).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 18th, 2019, 6:14 pm

suffolk wrote:PP ... Who’s going to answer the door if the bell rings?

No-one at this time of night. :o And we have a Ring doorbell system so I’d answer indoors if that happened. (And it’s one tiny tooth on a lower jaw).
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 18th, 2019, 6:33 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I thought you had to keep wearing dentures so that your remaining teeth didn't close in and so that your gums didn't start enjoying not having the teeth (tooth) there ;). Was only talking to friend today about standards of retired people slipping, she reminded me that one should be properly dressed by 9am in case anyone called (it followed on from my saying I had called on two separate acquaintances lately who were still I night clothes at 11am and 3pm. I have been known to have a pyjama day too :D).

I think my standards slipped a long time ago EM!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 18th, 2019, 9:38 pm

:lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 18th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Be careful! One of my friends decided to try and use Skype to contact friends. One morning she was sitting in front of the computer chatting when the person she was talking to said "You do realise that you have no clothes on, don't you?" :D
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » October 18th, 2019, 11:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 19th, 2019, 4:37 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 19th, 2019, 9:23 am

My neighbour was expecting the chimney sweep. It was a winter morning and still dark when the phone rang. She realised it was probably the sweep asking for directions, or warning that he was on the way. She jumped out of bed, and ran downstairs, naked, to answer the phone, which happens to be beside the kitchen window. ‘Hello’ she said, ‘what time are you coming?’ ‘ I’m here’ he said, she looked up and there he was outside the window, looking at her! She had to drop to the floor, and crawl across the kitchen floor! Somehow, she managed to endure the visit, but she never had that sweep again.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 19th, 2019, 10:16 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

When Mr S and I were first together we lived in a flat and one memorable morning I threw open the curtains, sans apparel, only to discover recently-assembled scaffolding directly outside the bedroom window along with three burly scaffolders. Let's just say I closed the curtains again at some speed....
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 19th, 2019, 3:40 pm

I have been known to let the dogs out for a pee in the middle of the night. We recently had security lights installed linked to my younger son’s iPhone. I trust he hasn’t shared the last but one footage with anyone. :o :o :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 19th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Ooh PP - social media here you come! As per the title of the thread, it would be flattering to imagine that anyone would want to look if I was caught out in such situations :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 19th, 2019, 4:58 pm

:lol: Oh you lot! :lol:

I have had to do a bit of ducking and diving recently when we had scaffolding up here. A lot of hiding around doors and in corners from 8am when the builders would turn up.

I had a chuckle at the checkout in Tesco today. I haven't been asked for ID to buy booze for a long while, especially now I don't buy it, but with Halloween approaching I thought I would (trick or) treat myself to a copy of the latest version of Stephen King's 'It' on DVD. The checkout girl asked me if I was over 15. :shock: So I said 'Haha, I'll be over 50 next year!' :lol: :lol: The checkout girl found it quite funny, and I commended her for doing her job and making my day. Sadly I didn't hear her response as it was quite noisy in there and I'm going a bit deaf in my old age! :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 26th, 2019, 12:10 am

Does anyone find that they have become less tolerant of idiots as your age creeps along? I am wondering if it is just me or if it's normal or if I am just unlucky at the moment that I seem to be surrounded by too many of them! :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop