Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Postby Pepper Pig » October 27th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Another nuisance. I have very swollen arthritic knuckles on my right hand. Whenever anyone gives me any coins they fall straight through my fingers. I just haven’t got used to offering the left hand yet.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » October 27th, 2019, 4:51 pm

i don't think that's a thing that comes with age - it comes with being surrounded by idiots, tezza.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 10th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Petula Clark has just been on the Royal Variety Performance. :o How many of you young ones know about her?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2019, 9:53 pm

I saw Petula Clark step out of a pink clam sheil at in the pantomime at Southampton Gaumont circa 1962. It was the pantomime, Tommy Cooper was in it too. Just like that
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 11:45 pm

Wonderful Sue! My late soul mate and I divulged to each other that we secretly quite liked Petula Clark and spent one whole memorable evening listening to her songs. It became a bit of a joke after that. The first song that I heard on the radio after I had learned of his passing was by Petula Clark.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 11th, 2019, 10:18 am

Petula Clark is our niece's godmother... :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » December 11th, 2019, 10:26 am

aero280 wrote:Petula Clark is our niece's godmother... :)

Wow! I'm seriously impressed. 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 11th, 2019, 10:26 am

aero280 wrote:Petula Clark is our niece's godmother... :)

Wow!!! :kneel: :kneel:

'Downtown' is still one of my favorite songs. A real Karaoke special. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 11th, 2019, 10:31 am

I'm afraid Petula has always managed to leave me cold ... probably because when I was in my teens my parents thought she was wonderful whereas I was into the Kinks etc.... however OH thinks that Don't Sleep in the Subway is seriously great :D :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 11th, 2019, 10:35 am

My brother-in-law was an agent in the recording industry. He was a lot older than OH's sister. He died fairly young in the mid 1980's. I was at his funeral, as were a lot of people I recognised from TV. Pete Murray, Petula Clark, Lonnie Donegan, etc. Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen marched and played in front the coffin as it entered and left the church.

It was a memorable event! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2020, 9:17 pm

I have just spent 10 minutes searching for the glasses I was already wearing :oops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2020, 9:27 pm

My friend and her brother and sister and I have just agreed that if you really panic about being unable to find something you have recently mislaid, it’s usually lost because you have put it away in the right place on autopilot

In this case the sister’s phone was in its designated location in her bag, and not put down on a random surface.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 7th, 2020, 9:28 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I have just spent 10 minutes searching for the glasses I was already wearing :oops:.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2020, 3:10 pm

I keep losing things in my bag. I look many times in all the pockets, to no avail. Then, usually, the thing appears in one of those pockets the next day. It's most peculiar. It has no torn lining for things to disappear into.

As I've said, my current trick is anxiously hiding things before I got away then a) forgetting to write down where and b) forgetting where when I get back.

I possibly found my hard drive (although it may have been one I hid earlier...) I can't remember what else is currently missing in action :o

This is all very galling as I used to be very good indeed at finding things.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Herbidacious wrote:my current trick is anxiously hiding things before I got away then a) forgetting to write down where and b) forgetting where when I get back.

i did that with a very expensive ring about thirty five years ago - haven't seen it since. young people do it too!
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 10th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Last summer we went to Sweden in my wife's car. She took the second key for my car off her key ring to put it in a safe place because she wouldn't need it until we got home in three weeks. When we got home, she couldn't find it. Looked everywhere. In the end I bought a new key at great expense...

...about six weeks later, I found the key! It was hidden in the case for her dashcam accessories, in the glovebox of her car. We had taken it to Sweden and back, after all. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2020, 4:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2020, 6:24 pm

It's quite interesting explaining metal dustbins to people under a certain age. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Pepper Pig on January 10th, 2020, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2020, 6:28 pm

I did it with my passport in my early 30s and didn't even remember that I had hidden it until the night before I was due to travel several months later. Good thing my husband was out that night... St. Anthony sorted me out, in the end. It was in a book. At that point we have a mere three floor to ceiling alchove-width shelves worth of books. I did not have to lok through too many though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:It's quite interesting explaining metal dustbins to people under a certain age. :oops: :oops: :oops:

:o
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 10th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Yesterday I decided to make myself a pot of tea using loose tea leaves. I spent some time deciding which pot to use (having been bought a charming glass one with infuser by daughter for Christmas) However that infuser has such fine slits in it that it takes ages for the water to percolate through. So, decided on another pot and a different infuser. Boiled the water, poured it into the infuser, set the time for 5 minutes for optimum flavour and poured the tea out, wondering why it was so pale ... yup, forgot the tea leaves ! :rolleyes: :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 10th, 2020, 7:05 pm

At the moment everytime I haul myself out of bed I feel the age of someone much older!
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:It's quite interesting explaining metal dustbins to people under a certain age. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have two - we put our rubbish out in sacks but I collect it up in two metal bins lined with the sacks, they are much admired

I has to explain coal hole covers and coal cellars to someone who had difficulty understanding that before central heating coal was generally purchased by the half ton (not tonne) rather than in little paper sacks from petrol stations

We had both coal and coke bunkers throughout the 60s
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 10th, 2020, 8:34 pm

A couple of years ago I had my coal cellar converted into a walk in cupboard and my porch extended to enclose it. Although not technically a cellar as it is just outside and opposite my front door.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2020, 8:35 pm

I gave up trying to explain Mrs Tiggywinkle to GD around the time of her 4th birthday last year. I don't think she'd seen an iron, let alone one heated in front of the fire. Then there were pocket-handkerchiefs, starch and petticoats ... :?. There are coal hole covers near here too. I have explained but don't think she has a clue what I'm talking about :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2020, 9:01 pm

We are relics.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Do children still play with dial telephones? I don't have any GCs so am not really up on current play habits.
KC2
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 10th, 2020, 9:22 pm

KC2 wrote:Do children still play with dial telephones? I don't have any GCs so am not really up on current play habits.

No they don’t, and if you really want a laugh there is a clip on you tube of two teenage boys being given a four minute challenge - making a call on a rotary dial phone, absolutely hilarious. I think it’s called something like 17 year old boys telephone challenge.

BB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OADXNG ... ture=share
Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 10th, 2020, 9:34 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2020, 10:27 pm

BB - it doesn't seem possible does it! A few years ago, a work colleague decided to give some of his old vinyl LPs an airing, I think to record onto digital. He took one from the sleeve and his 12 year old son stared and asked, "What's that dad?". I think they're making a comeback now.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 10th, 2020, 10:47 pm

earthmaiden wrote:BB - it doesn't seem possible does it! A few years ago, a work colleague decided to give some of his old vinyl LPs an airing, I think to record onto digital. He took one from the sleeve and his 12 year old son stared and asked, "What's that dad?". I think they're making a comeback now.

They've been making a comeback for a few years now, EM!!
DJ's who mix tracks use them. We still have most of our old collection and the turntable - just started listening to some recently and they're great. But they are so short!! Keep having to change them over ;)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Fairly strong brassicas are what I’d normally go for

But otherwise carrots, glazed probably, as I don’t specially like them roast or mashed, parsnips in any form or braised celery. Leeks in some form, beetroot.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 11th, 2020, 12:08 am

One of the guys at the car club is a lecturer for the City & Guilds motor mechanics course.

He had a shock last year when he told the first year class that all nuts bolts and screws are done up in a clockwise direction. The response was "What's clockwise?" :o :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rainbow » January 11th, 2020, 2:19 am

:lol: :lol:
But I guess if you've only ever seen a digital clock........
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 11th, 2020, 2:38 am

StokeySue wrote:Fairly strong brassicas are what I’d normally go for

But otherwise carrots, glazed probably, as I don’t specially like them roast or mashed, parsnips in any form or braised celery. Leeks in some form, beetroot.

Sue, I think this should have been over in The Kitchen??
Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2020, 10:02 am

Ahh, that should have been on the thread about sides for beef
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 10:03 am

They were selling vinyl in my Sainbury's last year. Not sure if they still are. However young people aren't buying CDs, so that'll be next up on the incomprension index.

I am a bit shocked about clockwise, but I can't help thinking this ignorance rather than youth per se. If he's only ever seen a digital clock, his exposure to life is limited. They are on sale in Ikea, for example :? (My local train station has one from there.)

However, that said, clocks in shops is something you don't see and more. Or in pubs for that matter.
Last edited by Herbidacious on January 11th, 2020, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 11th, 2020, 11:03 am

Busybee wrote:
KC2 wrote:Do children still play with dial telephones? I don't have any GCs so am not really up on current play habits.

No they don’t, and if you really want a laugh there is a clip on you tube of two teenage boys being given a four minute challenge - making a call on a rotary dial phone, absolutely hilarious. I think it’s called something like 17 year old boys telephone challenge.

BB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OADXNG ... ture=share

Priceless!! :D

Does anyone remember party lines? My parents were on a party line when I was young. It was always interesting to listen in. :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 11th, 2020, 11:12 am

I'm surprised by the clockwork issue, given that almost all watches, including smart watches, have got clock faces, and clocks are still pretty much everywhere. Telling the time is surely something that's still taught to young children in books and on telly.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2020, 11:24 am

The proxy nieces and nephews can’t read a clock properly, they look at their phone if they want an accurate time. The boys are 11 and 12 and I don’t think one would have a clue the other is very spatially aware with good visual memory and would probably work it out from first principles.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 11th, 2020, 11:37 am

Seatallan wrote:Does anyone remember party lines?

we were still on a party line less than twenty years ago. a repair man who came to do something on our line was shocked - he thought they'd all disappeared years before and separated us from the other people (who live up the lane from us) for free.
it was annoying having one when i went into labour with our son as i couldn't ring the midwife, their daughter was on the phone from eleven in the morning until at least half four in the afternoon, when the midwife made an unscheduled visit because she 'had a feeling'.
my partner had gone into truro so i couldn't contact him, either.
he returned shortly after the midwife, who drove me in to the hospital while my partner took our daughter and phoned a friend to meet us there to take over babysitting. our son was born within an hour and a half of getting there.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 11:41 am

When I was stuck in an Apple 'store' for about an hour the other week, with nothing to do and nowhere to sit. I ended up gazing at the Apple watches, and they have some lovely traditional clockface options. Pity the overall watch design looks like a throw back to the early 80s...

I suppose if children stop learning how to tell the time, we will eventually stop having clockfaces and Big Ben's clock will be a mystery to them
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2020, 11:50 am

Gosh, not a good time to have a party line (says she who remembers hearing her OH's footsteps as they ran as fast as they possibly could down to the local phone box in the middle of the night after the first twinge :idea: !). My grandmother was on a party line with the people next door.

As one who has a pictorial mind, I can't imagine learning to tell the time without the clock face as a mental guide. GD has a couple of clocks, it is useful to say we will do something when the big hand gets to a certain point. I think a lot of 'yoof' has big learning gaps of this kind which are not necessarily down to the generational kind of ignorance we are talking about. I worked with a good example of one :rolleyes: ;)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » January 11th, 2020, 11:52 am

i thought analogue watch faces were making a comeback (they've never been away if you ask me - i haven't had a digital watch for a couple of decades)

aero280 wrote:he told the first year class that all nuts bolts and screws are done up in a clockwise direction. The response was "What's clockwise?"

i prefer the word widdershins to anticlockwise.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » January 11th, 2020, 11:55 am

it would have been quicker to go and ask the party line to get off the phone than go up to the other side of the village to get to the phone box - i think i may have mistaken that for a post box - there may not be (or have been) a phone box up in the village.

earthmaiden wrote: I think a lot of 'yoof' has big learning gaps of this kind which are not necessarily down to the generational kind of ignorance we are talking about.

agree, it's more to do with a lack of the specific education rather than the rise of the digital clock.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 11th, 2020, 6:08 pm

I am definitely going to need an eyesight check. I read party lines as panty liners . . . . . :? :? :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 11th, 2020, 10:59 pm

StokeySue wrote:The proxy nieces and nephews can’t read a clock properly, they look at their phone if they want an accurate time. The boys are 11 and 12 and I don’t think one would have a clue the other is very spatially aware with good visual memory and would probably work it out from first principles.

My son had problems with learning to read a clock - I tried to help him when he was in primary school but he just informed me that it wasn't necessary as everything was going digital now ;)
He will be 36 in April and has never had a watch - why bother when the phone is always in the pocket :lol:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 11:21 pm

I've not had a watch since 2001.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 12th, 2020, 1:19 am

I’ve worn a watch since 25 December 1961. It was an Ingersoll with a tan leather strap. I feel a bit weird without one. I also find it so much easier to glance at a watch than to pull a phone out of a bag and look at it. But I suspect that makes me a dinosaur.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2020, 7:17 am

Make that two dinosaurs Sue. ;)

But seriously, I believe that for many folk, regardless of age, it’s easier to process the concepts of half an hour, quarter of an hour etc when contemplating a visual depiction of those proportions as in an analogue clock face (which is essentially a pie chart) ... so while folk can check to see what time it is now on their digital watch or phone, the folk who can intuitively measure and apportion their time to the tasks in hand are those who can use an analogue clockface.
Last edited by suffolk on January 12th, 2020, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop