Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Does it ever hit you that you're quite old?

Postby aero280 » January 12th, 2020, 10:12 am

Just to confuse things, I bought this last June in Sweden when I realised that I had left my normal watch at home by mistake. :D

40661225-1F03-4F49-AD54-217B38A1B0C3.jpeg
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2020, 10:51 am

:o :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 12th, 2020, 11:42 am

The point about visualising halves and quarters is valid, I’ve noticed younger people often read out the digital time exactly
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 12th, 2020, 4:12 pm

I wear a watch and have only ever had analogue.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby scullion » January 12th, 2020, 8:22 pm

well i think i breed dinosaurs then, not only us two but our young have analogue watches - our son bought his a couple of months ago. well, i say it's an analogue - it's an electronic watch with the option of using a dial face - which he does..
scullion
Registered

Postby uschi » January 14th, 2020, 10:49 pm

scullion wrote:well i think i breed dinosaurs then, not only us two but our young have analogue watches - our son bought his a couple of months ago. well, i say it's an analogue - it's an electronic watch with the option of using a dial face - which he does..

:D :D :D Wonderful image!!!
I still have analogue quartz "watches". Well, not wrist watches, but ones to wear as pendants.
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 15th, 2020, 7:55 am

Both my watches (one I’ve had for years and one I bought quite recently) have analogue faces. 8-)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 15th, 2020, 2:52 pm

My last watch kind of imploded on the flight back from my honeymoon in 2001. Thinking about how the first thing I did when I got home was to take it off, I decided not to bother getting another. I had not had one between the ages of 10 and 20 so I was just reverting back to form, really. I think in the intervening period - about 14 years years), clocks had disappeared from shops and pubs, making it harder to get away without having any sort of time piece second time round. At first I carried a little clock around in my bag, and then I got my first mobile phone.
I do seem to have a very good inner clock. As long as I top myself up from time to time, so to speak, I can usually say what time it is to within a few minutes, having not seen a clock for many hours. But I do need to look occasionally.

I have only ever had old-fashioned watch faces (apart from the one that was a spider's web with a spider for a minute hand... :D ) I find them far more aesthetically appealing.

I am assuming that by 'analogue', people don't mean ones you wind up...?

Actually watches must go on the list of things that are far cheaper, relatively speaking, than they once were.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 15th, 2020, 3:25 pm

I don't think I've worn a watch on a regular basis since I was in my teens. Initially I just thought the average watch designs looked ugly, nowadays they look inelegant on my plump wrists. I might wear one if it looked like a bracelet and fitted round my wrist comfortably. It really annoys me how clocks have disappeared from shops and shopping areas. Thank goodness for mobile phones.

My grandmother had a beautiful watch which I coveted throughout my childhood. It was gold in a sort of Art Nouveau style with Roman numerals and a strap fashioned from a double row of black leather (like two laces running alongside each other). A little while after she died, my father turned up with a box and said he was giving me the watch. My heart missed a beat, he then added that the old strap had been worn so he had changed it for me. I opened the box to see the lovely watch with a horrible cheap silver coloured expandable strap attached to it :twisted:. I could have cried. The old one wasn't even kept so that I could remember the detail to try to get one made. I meant to try but sadly have never got round to it. Perhaps, now I have more time, I should.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 15th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Oh yes EM, do! :tu: :hug:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 15th, 2020, 4:12 pm

You must EM!

I stopped wearing a watch in 1971 when I started at the Royal Academy of Music. My tutor reckoned the weight on the wrist affected my playing! I got way out of the habit but, like Herbi, am pretty good at knowing what the time is. However, the kids bought me a swimmers Apple Watch a couple of years ago. I put it on before I swim and take it off once I’ve walked the dog. By which time my wrist hurts.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 15th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:You must EM!

I stopped wearing a watch in 1971 when I started at the Royal Academy of Music. My tutor reckoned the weight on the wrist affected my playing! I got way out of the habit but, like Herbi, am pretty good at knowing what the time is. However, the kids bought me a swimmers Apple Watch a couple of years ago. I put it on before I swim and take it off once I’ve walked the dog. By which time my wrist hurts.

Ha! I used not to wear a watch either when I was a freelance musician. As people have said, there used to be more clocks on display and I figured if I had left the right amount of time I'd get to rehearsals on time. I also took it off when I played anyway as I felt it disturbed the balance. And most important of all, I was always pleasantly surprised when the rehearsal was over. If I'd worn a watch I'd have been clock watching and rehearsals would have seemed endless! :lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 15th, 2020, 4:46 pm

I wear a watch every time I go out. I have two, both analogue, one everyday and one for 'best'. The best one is a self winder. Neither are elegant, both have metal straps.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 15th, 2020, 8:55 pm

I would be lost without my watch and never leaves my wrist unless I am showering. ;) I have a Dunhill which I got at an extremely good price when Dunhill changed their model designs a good few years ago. My sister bought me a cheaper, square faced watch for Christmas one year saying she was fed-up seeing me wear the same watch for so many years ... the Dunhill now needs the strap repaired, so I have started wearing the watch she bought me. :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 17th, 2020, 12:37 pm

We are currently teaching our 4 year old grandson how to tell the time. OH has promised to take him to Switzerland to buy a watch once he has grasped it :lol: He's got the o'clocks, quarter pasts and the half pasts - now we have to do the bits in between. My sister when she was learning to tell the time got very cross and said 'what's the point, by the time I've learnt the time it's changed!'
Meganthemog
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop