Chatterbox LXXVIII Olivia

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXVIII Olivia

Postby suffolk » September 22nd, 2017, 8:40 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

A beautiful day here ... blue skies and sunshine ... a bit more h@sewk to do today and possibly some food shopping ... that'll leave the weekend free for some garden tidying ... autumnal equinox and all that :D

BB ... hate that ... it's only happened to me once ... I still blame the phlebotomist ;) but nowadays I make sure I drink a 500 ml bottle of water as soon as I wake up, then I take another bottle of water with me, get to the surgery early and drink all my water before I'm called in.

Hope the fire gets sorted soon Moira ... and the roof work is successful :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 22nd, 2017, 8:54 am

Morning everyone :wave:
Finger crossed Moira, A vast expanse of fire=damaged countryside is a horrible site as Zosh says and the smell lingers for ages. Howecer it is amasing how quickly it regenerates itself.

We've spent an hour this morning rearranging the chilled facitities in kitchen and cellar. Now have much more room for bottles :evil:

I wanted to by a birthday gift yesterday from a favourite website,Tyne and Wear Museum Shop. When it came to pay for it they seem to have changed methods and are now using WorldPay which requires one to proove one is not a robot with one of those stupid visual puzzles. Could I get my ancient eyes to see what was required so in the end I had to ask Mr R for help and he had three tries befor he cracked it. I know it is secure but honestly!!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 22nd, 2017, 9:01 am

Good morning.
Blue skies here so far and a lovely autumnal nip in the air. All jobs in the house done, fresh lemonade made, off for a food shop with Mum very soon. I need to top the electric up while I am out too. Later on will be stew and dumplings I think.
I have learnt that now the boiler has been fixed and the large radiator in the communal hallway is on full whack, I can stick any hand washing on the clothes horse outside my front door and it dries very quickly. That gets rid of the need for a washing line.
Looking forward to a walk early evening if the weather stays dry but I feel it will be thick coat and boots.
Have a good day all.
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 22nd, 2017, 9:40 am

I am back. I am having a mare of a morning, all the computers are playing up :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I just threatend to sling mine up the car park :twisted: Where is the IT office, 250+ miles away :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 22nd, 2017, 9:57 am

Glad you can get your washing dry now Tezza :tu: Stew and dumplings sounds a good idea :chops: Not sure what we'll be having ... I haven't been to the farm shop yet ... just having a :mug: and then I'll give the bathroom a quick wipe over, then pop up the road to see what OH has got on offer ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 22nd, 2017, 10:12 am

Good morning everyone,
It's raining here again :(
I'm just waiting for Tesco to arrive, I'm needing a fairly large shop this week so after I've put it away I think it will be feet up time with a :mug:
Homemade fish pie for dinner tonight - not made one for yonks so really looking forward to it :chops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 22nd, 2017, 10:14 am

The fire over at Kivides is out, four houses were threatened but were not damaged, one elderly gent and his carer were evacuated, most of that area is scrubland.

As a result of the change in wind direction we have sparkling views this morning and my sinuses feel much better

Last night's meal down at the beach was a bit disappointing, I ordered the ante pasta platter, it turned out to be for two people, I ate the ham, olives, tomatoes and some of the cheese, the remainder came home with us, Deb's pork medallions were undistinguished. We shall stick to their salads in future. I understood that the kitchen would be open until 7 00pm but it closed much earlier.
However the sea was very warm

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 22nd, 2017, 10:21 am

I have given up. We will just have to finish earlier than the usual early :lol: :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 22nd, 2017, 12:15 pm

Oh dear what a shame Icey :lol: :lol:

It is a gorgeous sparkling day here too. Glad the fires are out Moira. Shame about last night's meal though.

We are going to Mannu's new restaurant on Sunday to sample his autumn menu. He is getting fabulous reviews on Trip Advisor and the likes. I am really looking forward to it.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 22nd, 2017, 12:30 pm

I am back. I don't know if there is an accident on the motorway but the traffic on the main road is horrific. It took me 15 minutes to do a 4 minute journy out and 20 minutes to de same 4 minute journey back :o
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » September 22nd, 2017, 12:47 pm

Oh no, the sun has gone away and there are very dark clouds overhead now, it is going to rain, any minute........Spoken to soon, it is bucketing down :(
I am packing up now and heading off home. I have a hairdressers appointment at 3pm to get rid of the grey 8-) Have a good weekend everyone, stay safe, see you Monday. :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :cocktail:
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 22nd, 2017, 1:55 pm

Our mail order clothes have arrived, courtesy of DHL. There has been a major trying on session, as usual the sleeves of the tops and the trouser legs are too long, Deb's new sewing machine is going to put to good use. The ironing can wait until tomorrow. My bedroom floor is awash with tissue paper and plastic bags, the strong breeze has blown it all into one corner :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 22nd, 2017, 2:13 pm

Washing still on the line in the sunshine, fish pie made, kitchen neat and tidy-ish again; knitting will occupy the rest of the afternoon .......
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 22nd, 2017, 3:46 pm

Nice weather today, breeze and sun... I have completed some tasks that have been hanging around too long. Washing is dry and Mr. Z is due soon. Shop curry tonight, courtesy of W'rose and a dish of Mamtas broccoli and I will cook rice later.

We have been invited to the Pear Tree Inn tomorrow evening which is always fab and a real treat. We are collecting our large pebble on the way, which has been etched by the stone carver who did M&D's crem. tab. He did the design himself and I am quite excited to see it and bring it home to keep the kitchen door open where it belongs.

Might be the last BBQ of the season on Sunday, I have added garlic and rosemary to neck fillet of lamb and wrapped it in clingy. I have a sweetcorn cob and various other items that can be BBQ'd
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 22nd, 2017, 5:32 pm

Well, I'm shutting down the computer to finish packing
Off to Hungary and Croatia on a little tour
Back in October
Be good
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 22nd, 2017, 5:39 pm

have a great time, sue. 'see' you next month.

it's drizzled nearly all day, here.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 22nd, 2017, 5:45 pm

Have a fabulous holiday Sue, see you when you get back.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 22nd, 2017, 5:53 pm

Sue ... have a brilliant time :D :wave:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 22nd, 2017, 6:15 pm

Hello! Just had a quick read back, these boards are really a mine of information, I had no idea that drinking a lot before a blood test helped the vein thing.

Rats - those silly visual puzzles when you are trying to buy something usually have an option where you can listen to something instead (not always a help!).

Seems rather sad that we are talking of boots, long sleeves and dumplings before September is out. It really is that sort of weather though isn't it. It was a beautiful day today. The work meeting was totally pointless as far as I could see but I enjoyed my trip recce afterwards and walked and explored a bit of Berkshire I didn't know very well. I popped into Waitrose in Newbury. I have a thing about Waitrose at the moment as it seems to me that their organisational skills and service is getting worse by the day. Today's experience didn't make me change my mind :evil: .

Time to go and finish the last of the leek and potato soup.

Have a lovely time Sue. Hope the weather is kind. :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 22nd, 2017, 6:23 pm

Sue, Have a wonderful holiday and see you next month :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 22nd, 2017, 7:22 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Hello! Just had a quick read back, these boards are really a mine of information, I had no idea that drinking a lot before a blood test helped the vein thing.

Didn't work for me :( I never like to give up my blood without a fight and despite upping my water intake this is my arm today after I reluctantly give a syringe full a week ago - I had a nasty lump in my elbow too :( :o The phlebotomist had a scrabble round a bit before succeeding on the second try :rolleyes:

bruise.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Luca » September 22nd, 2017, 7:38 pm

Ouch Pat. Unfortunately the same thing happens to me after pretty much every blood test. There is one person in a hospital walk in, a few miles from me, who however obviously has magic skills as I only get a mild compact bruise..... But he gets the vein first time after some intense scrutiny. Sometimes they have to jab me for ages. Have you taken Arnica? :hug:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby liketocook » September 22nd, 2017, 8:02 pm

Ouch Patsy - I can sympathise mine never seems to want to leave without a fight either..... :hug:
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » September 22nd, 2017, 8:42 pm

Gosh, that looks awful. In all the decades I've been donating blood I've never had a bruise like that. I think I've only had one or two - less than the fingers on one hand - of the size of a 5p piece.
You're right about the water. I usually drink about a litre before donating.
scullion
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 22nd, 2017, 9:01 pm

Me too, makes it a lot easier.
I have been known to ask for my blood back when there are no custard creams to be had with the post donation cup of tea.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 22nd, 2017, 9:09 pm

when I was being ill a few years ago, the young surgeon in the Acute Admissions Dept. left me with two black hands after several failed attempts. The nurse came by and sorted a vein out at the first attempt!!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Grasshopper » September 22nd, 2017, 9:15 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Me too, makes it a lot easier.
I have been known to ask for my blood back when there are no custard creams to be had with the post donation cup of tea.

Custard creams - yummmmmmmmmm :chops:

:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 23rd, 2017, 6:18 am

Oooh! Pat, I'd be claiming compensation !!!! :lol:

Morning all, Sue have a fab time in both Croatia and Hungary, you know Croatia is one of my fave & secret destinations !!! Don't tell too many people about it.... :?

EM W'rose have not joined any donation schemes (out of date products) as far as we know, Mr. Z. came home with a lot of goods last night. I hate waste !!!!! :evil:

We had a swift half at the pub last night, not something we do very often, I now remember why, it was so noisy, we were sat in a corner and we could not hear ourselves think ! It was a very swift visit !!!!

Today I will mostly be freezing food and meal planning for the next week. :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 23rd, 2017, 6:33 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, the weather has turned, hurrah :!: Yesterday evening at 7 00pm it was 5 C cooler than the previous evening, this morning there is a cool breeze and lots of fluffy cumulus clouds. It makes you want to rush out and do things :D
I hope that Sue enjoys Croatia and Hungary

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 23rd, 2017, 7:48 am

Morning all!
A drab and dreary day here at the moment. Very grey.
I am having the strangest dreams as I have mentioned before. Last night i was back working at my previous company (heaven forbid....so really that makes it a nightmare!) and couldn't find all my belongings when they moved me from a hospital bed back to the office. I did find my clarinet in a mad panic but it had been packed into its case very badly. My ex-husband of over 20 years ago had a GSD called Major and had had surgery in my dream and was recovering in my bed on the ward! What a mish mash of thoughts! Walking to the transport which was a train it was raining and my flip flops had gone missing so I had to walk in trainer socks. The train turned into a rollercoaster half way round and we ended up upside down! Weird! This morning the images of the bursting of the dam (in Mexico?) was identical to my dream a few nights ago! Poor people!
Today is a chill out after quite a hectic week. I have to take my daily stroll as soon as possible before the Daily Mail sells out then some paperwork to do and mainly I will be cooking!
Have lovely days all!
Happy Halloween......whoo
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 23rd, 2017, 7:56 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
A very calm and still autumnal morning here in Norfolk. Overcast but not cold.

Last year Waitrose donated nearly £1.5million worth of surplus food to local charities and social enterprises and were founding signatories of the Courtauld Commitment on waste
http://www.waitrose.com/home/inspiratio ... waste.html

Not a lot to do today ... I shall inspect the garden and draw up a list of things OH will help me with ... taking down the runner bean canes etc.... Supper will be Toulouse sausages with Puy lentils, based on James Martin's recipe ... we'll have some Swiss chard with that, and possibly some leeks too.

I'll pop up to the farm shop for eggs, milk, bread etc and possibly a squash ... I feel a roasted squash soup coming on :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » September 23rd, 2017, 8:40 am

Our Waitrose has an in-store donation box for food banks. Every day they seem to have stuff with extra discount (yellow label), we've bought fruit and veg which has lasted just as long as normal dated items.

Agree EM, apparently they've cut back on staff, and it shows.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 23rd, 2017, 9:07 am

Good morning,
I thought I'd get myself up and organised and head to the library first thing before the rain came back in. Suddenly remembered it's a local holiday weekend and yep it's closed until Tuesday - thankfully I've got books on my Kindle or I'd be beside myself!
I reckon the rain's about an hour away so I'm off to pull out some wabbit nasturtiums and then a :mug: (or two). My Dad was supposed to be popping by for lunch after he'd been out with his pal for a run in the car but has just phoned he's absolutely loaded with the cold so a day of thwarted plans all round :(
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 23rd, 2017, 9:31 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It is what the French call frisque (chilly) this morning and the autumnal mists are only lifting slowly I didn't go to the market because we are expecting a parcel. Mr R did a great job though and came back laden withall manner of goodies including pieds et paquets for supper. haven't had them for ages :drool:

Pat, you should come here to get blood taken :drool: , Our lovely nextdoor neighbour Letitia works in the medical lab and if blood is required she pops in before work and brings the results bin the evening. She would be mortified if she caused pain, discomfort or bruising.

Our leclerc does regular collections on behalf of reastaurants du coeur - which are a bit like food banks and very well supported. Items near their use by date are donated every evening to the Red Cross so there are rarely any reduced items to be had in store.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 23rd, 2017, 9:44 am

Ratatouille wrote:pieds et paquets for supper.

I hope he bought plenty ..... I'm on my way

Penelope pitstop driving.jpg 5.jpg
Penelope pitstop driving.jpg 5.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 295 times
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 23rd, 2017, 9:52 am

Ratatouille wrote: pieds et paquets for supper. haven't had them for ages

I had to look this up ... I regularly buy pigs' trotters, but never seen sheep's feet :( :? I would be interested to try them, but would have no idea where to look

suffolk wrote:I hope he bought plenty ..... I'm on my way

Suffs, where have you eaten them ? It would have to be a lone trip as the Weekend man wouldn't possibly contemplate trying them - he couldn't watch me eat oysters :( :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 23rd, 2017, 9:53 am

Fine, see you about 6.30 for a pastis :hi5:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 23rd, 2017, 9:53 am

I haven't ever eaten them ... but I know I'll love them ... just my sort of meal ......... :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 23rd, 2017, 10:32 am

suffolk wrote:I haven't ever eaten them ... but I know I'll love them ... just my sort of meal ......... :drool:

If you find out where they serve them and I'll join you .. ;) :tu: :bounce: :chops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 23rd, 2017, 11:15 am

Morning! A beautiful sunny day here now ... I shall be tidying up the garden after lunch.

So glad I haven't been invited to supper, it sounds the kind of thing my mother would have served and which I am grateful to be able to afford not to eat at the moment :).

Pat - that bruise is horrendous! I know so little about this but wonder why it is that in some cases they seem to be able to take quite a decent amount of blood from the finger these days (they used to do that with MIL) but others have to suffer as you have. Maybe the blood is different in some way.

Stayed up very late last night sorting trips I am organising for the next few months. It's a bit of a chore really but would be good to get ahead with it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 23rd, 2017, 12:25 pm

Not my choice either :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:

Suff, I have lots of evidence in fridges and deep freeze, but I am sure you are right ;) .

Excess of plants and seedlings that have sprouted up throughout the summer have been uprooted ready to take to the Pear Tree Inn this evening for their gardens. They are doing a marvellous job in rejuvenating from the mess that Marco Pierre White left behind when he left.

Collecting my newly etched pebble later as well :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 23rd, 2017, 12:31 pm

Zosh ... it doesn't mean they donate all their surplus stocks ... having worked alongside some of the charities involved I know that there are some foodstuffs which they just cannot accept ... sometimes due to storage facilities, kitchen availablity etc and sometimes just simply down to what is needed ... a lot of planning is needed in order to run these vital services ... the odd pack or three of aubergines or whatever sometimes doesn't fit in with what they can use at the time.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 23rd, 2017, 1:19 pm

We have just had a lovely letter put into our box from the Marie and the owners of village shops.

It thanks residents for such a successful summer, with regards vistors and for putting up with the inevitable inconvenience. It invites us to a party in the village in October provided by the business owners and the marie, with entrertainment, food and drinks.

What a wise and generous gesture!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 23rd, 2017, 2:17 pm

That's lovely Rats :D and I'm sure it's a very good business move too :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 23rd, 2017, 3:13 pm

I bought back a lot of blue cheese from the anti pasta platter on Thursday night. I have decided to turn it into Blue Cheese Dip to sustain us for over two hours of Strictly.

Rats: what a splendid idea from the Marie
Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 23rd, 2017, 6:17 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Pat - that bruise is horrendous! I know so little about this but wonder why it is that in some cases they seem to be able to take quite a decent amount of blood from the finger these days (they used to do that with MIL) but others have to suffer as you have. Maybe the blood is different in some way.

I had been for a CT scan on the previous Monday ... the radiologists took three goes to get a cannula into the back of one of my hands, so they were pretty bruised :( :o ... others get their cannula into their arm, but they've never managed that yet. After my operation, the phlebotomists who came round and took blood every day always used somewhere on the back of my hand, side of finger, wrist ........ :rolleyes: I was black and blue when I was discharged ;) 8-)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 23rd, 2017, 6:36 pm

:hug: :hug: Pat

Blue cheese dip :chops: .. what will you be dipping?

What lovely news re the village party Rats!

I spent the afternoon in the garden, it was lovely and warm and bright and a delight to be out there, unlike most of the summer. Everything has been tidied up under my neighbour's kind supervision. Hopefully we will have more nice days and I can go out and repot some things, cut the honeysuckle back, remove moss from the kitchen gutters and fascias and redo the wood preserver on the shed and trellis. We shall see.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 23rd, 2017, 8:29 pm

Back home at last! No thanks to UK Border control. Long delays in our queue due to a girl who tried checking everyone's face against the passport photo while looking into the sun... All the other queues went a lot quicker. :( Took so long that although we arrived an hour early at the ticket barrier and were offered and accepted an earlier crossing, we nearly missed the one we were actually booked on. Really negigent management of the situation. Someone should have been monitoring what was happening and acting to fix it.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » September 23rd, 2017, 8:29 pm

Oh! and the car stinks of cheese!! Yum!! :D
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » September 24th, 2017, 5:58 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I had wondered what was happening with the extra checks from UK Border Control, Aero. Have you stored all that cheese yet? :D

moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop