I'm Not tight-fisted, BUT ............

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

I'm Not tight-fisted, BUT ............

Postby Grasshopper » October 8th, 2017, 6:24 pm

I don't like wasting food - I don't suppose anybode on here does, but do you peeps find yourselves making other little economies?
With things like biskies & cereal bars, I prefer to go to places such as pound shops, B & M, Home Bargains, etc., or get own-brand biskies.
We also shop at Aldi & Lidl.

I even hate wasting sweeteners. I KNOW they are much cheaper than sugar, but if I pour out too many, I put the surplus back in the tub.
Is it just me?
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Re: I'm Not tight-fisted, BUT ............

Postby Suelle » October 8th, 2017, 7:09 pm

I've been known to decide that the evening meal will be based around half a tin of tomatoes that needs using up!

I think that the generation whose parents lived through WWII, and rationing, were brought up not to waste food. If it couldn't be eaten, or fed to chickens or pigs, there was always a compost heap!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » October 8th, 2017, 7:51 pm

I gave up really sugary things like biscuits and cereal bars when I was losing weight. Along with crisps and sweets.

And the cheap ones usually have less real sugar and more corn syrup. Corn syrup is not good. It's been blamed for the American obesity epidemic.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » October 8th, 2017, 8:20 pm

I don't like wasting things primarily because it just seems... morally wrong? (When some people have so little.) Plus there are adverse environmental aspects to it. (edit. Oh dear. that sounds a bit po faced and holier than thou :oops: ) But I suppose the monetary aspect is not non-existent. I have to remind myself that it's only a couple of pounds, if that's what it is, and not worry/feel guilty about it. I am still adapting to being on my own, so some wastage has been inevitable.

I don't have time to go to different shops to look for the cheapest. Plus I find it hard to go into any food shop and not come out with something I didn't intend to buy, so going to more than one shop would be a minefield. I have actually been buying more luxury brands, if anything, lately, as it's just me and I don't eat a lot.

Corn syrup is very bad... it's supposed to make you gain weight more than other types of sugar. But the America has invested so much money in corn production, subsidising farmers, who have switched to just producing this one crop, that its hard for them to back track. British products generally contain far less. There isn't the same incentive to use it as an ingredient. I don't know about other European products.

This aside, it the cheaper brands are generally just as good, then why not. Indeed it would be foolish not to, unless there are other considerations.
Last edited by Herbidacious on October 8th, 2017, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 8th, 2017, 8:25 pm

No. I hate meanness, I am married to someone who was extremely mean but has learnt to compromise. I buy carefully and use what I can but the rest goes in the dogs. Food is my only extravagance as I don't do foreign holidays or other expensive luxuries. I shop wherever I happen to be but that's because my husband and I have worked hard to earn our money and I can afford to shop at Waitrose when I wish to. However that being said I am finding a huge drop in their quality and service. Our new Aldi gets my custom for day to day things now. It costs £2.50 to park near our local Poundland in the centre of Harrow which defeats the object a bit. I go to B&M for pet stuff but I have yet to see anything other than tomato ketchup that would feature on my regular shop. Don't buy biscuits and have never heard of Homeland.

Sorry to rain on your parade Grassy but someone needs to stand up for the profligate . . . :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby smitch » October 8th, 2017, 9:04 pm

I do most of my shopping at Ocado. We have a 20 mile round trip each day to and from work and often get home after 6.30pm. The last thing we want to do is start going to multiple shops to save a few pounds, our time is more important to us. I do go to Aldi from time to time and we buy hay for our guinea pigs from B&M.

Although we don't earn huge amounts, we're comfortable enough to not have to worry about our grocery spending. By living a long way from the city centre, our mortgage is cheap so we can buy the stuff we enjoy. I'm happy to eat own brands generally, but some are not as good.

We rarely waste food, but there is sometimes something slimy in one of the fridge drawers or something in the bread bin that gets forgotten about :sprout:

I do plan our meals and shop for the week with that in mind.
smitch
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 8th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I don't like wasting things primarily because it just seems... morally wrong?

I am so tired of this mantra as I am sure you are. Talk about heaping guilt on us. Nothing is wasted in this house as I am sure that it isn't in yours, it goes in the compost bin unless meat or fish based in which case the council kitchen waste collection deals with it. Does anyone know what happens to the lamb leg bones? They take a bit of composting.

As for 'High Fructose Corn Syrup' in cheap biscuits...oh dear. Heat and food are my extravagances. Anyone who has met me will know that it isn't clothes.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 8th, 2017, 9:11 pm

aero280 wrote:It's been blamed for the American obesity epidemic.

Possibly, it's got to be more more complicated

I'm not mean but I hate wasting money and I really hate wasting food
I'll spend what I need to get what I want, even if it is champagne. But I do try not to chuck leftovers

And this week I bought a can of 220g Morrison's baked beans for 25p. And 200g of Heinz for 65p. The Morrison's are nicer IMO, but I'd buy Heinz again if I preferred them. I really want Branston but they seem to have vanished
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 8th, 2017, 9:12 pm

I'm happy to pay for quality, but once I've bought something, however much (or little) I've paid for it, I hate to waste it!

Having said that - I threw away a packet of McVities chocolate coffee caramel digestive biscuits after eating only one - I couldn't taste the coffee, and the caramel layer threatened to pull my teeth out!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/McVities-Choco ... B072XNSWCV

They did go into the green waste bin though, so not entirely wasted! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby miss mouse » October 8th, 2017, 9:37 pm

StokeySue wrote:Possibly, it's got to be more more complicated

I am sure that it is. However it is big bizz and so will not be challenged. Meanwhile, blame the patients.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » October 8th, 2017, 10:04 pm

I mainly shop at Sainsbury's because it's only 10 minutes walk and I like what I get from there. Only economy thing I buy is their baked beans but only for use when making a chilli. Don't shop in poundland etc as they are in the town centre and the bus fare would outweigh any savings. I might visit the local Aldi if they would sort out their checkout arrangements.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 9th, 2017, 7:15 am

I don't like waste. If leftovers can't be made into a soup then the beasts have it as a treat. I kept getting stickers on my bin saying I should be recycling food waste in the relevant bin. I put one back on it saying it is recycled via the beasts :lol: that stopped them.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 9th, 2017, 7:50 am

I am a past master at guilt Miss mouse. But it's not just what happens to the food after you waste it but what happens before you buy it. If you grow your own it's yours to waste as you see fit.
I suppose it goes deeper for me. Wasting food is an indictment on my household management abilities. Or would be if it were prolific and constant. Maybe the moral aspect is a red herring and a justification for inbuilt dislike of wastage. I did edit to tell myself off for po facedness...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 9th, 2017, 9:05 am

I am perfectly happy to spend money on something we both need or want - like this week's rather luxurious few days away, a really good meal out, a special bottle of wine or a new fridge. I know we are lucky to be able to but don't feel guilty bmade life miserable for everyone, especially his wifeecause like PP we believe we worked for it.

My F-I-L was the meanest so and so on this earth and he made life miserable for everyone especially his wife who simply didn't have a life (even her own cheque book) until after he died.

I don't like food waste at but we have virtually none because we have the compost, the hens and the outside cats :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » October 9th, 2017, 10:59 am

miss mouse wrote:I am so tired of this mantra as I am sure you are. Talk about heaping guilt on us.

harsh.
guilt comes from inside and can't be heaped on you if you don't accept it.

i agree, it is morally wrong to waste food - it can hardly be morally right, can it? otherwise there wouldn't be programmes on the box highlighting the food waste that some families and supermarkets produce. they'd be showing us how to waste more (let's not go into the waste of the bogof).
when products are imported into this country from parts of africa, having been irrigated from diminishing, ancient aquifers, then wasted - however it's disposed of - isn't there another layer of thinking beyond just the question of 'why are we importing other peoples water?' to 'why are we importing other peoples rapidly decreasing water supply and then throwing it into our water cycle?'
the meeting i attended on saturday was massively over-catered. sensibly, we were (as usual) urged to take home the leftovers otherwise there would have been a vast amount of very good food just binned.
i have been to the 'new' waitrose in truro once. i choose not to shop in there as i noticed no difference in quality of the produce i would normally buy elsewhere just higher prices - and a longer drive. the quality of fresh produce in lidl (and aldi) has vastly increased since their first shops opened down here - and they are nearly half the distance. i don't think it's tight fisted, just sensible not to waste money or resources.

ps. b and m was the only place i could buy heinz mayonnaise earlier on in the year - my son prefers it to hellman's.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 9th, 2017, 11:50 am

StokeySue wrote: I really want Branston but they seem to have vanished

I get mine at my local Tesco usually when they are on offer (last week I got a 6 pack for the same price as a 4 pack :? ) and I am sure I have seen them in Lidl .

I can't bear to waste food and try to eat everything in my fridge/veg basket before it has gone too far .. I really wish they would sell smaller packs of spinach and kale ! :( :rolleyes: I don't go out of my way to find a cheaper shop .. sometimes use Poundland if I am :rolleyes: going into Uxbridge by bus, but certainly wouldn't pay to park to use it :( Lidl is an occasional treat as I usual buy too much ! ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 9th, 2017, 12:21 pm

I too try hard not to waste food and plan what I am going to eat accordingly. It is ingrained in me from the way I was brought up I think and I do think it is morally wrong. As for shopping at discount stores, as a young housewife with time on my hands I knew the price of everything and could walk to a selection of shops which were relatively close to each other to get everything I needed. Nowadays when supermarkets are out of town or some distance apart it isn't so practical and the cost of petrol and shoe leather has to be added to the equation as well as the convenience.

I find that when I go to Lidl, B&M etc I end up buying all kinds of calorific treats and other bits and pieces as well as what I went in for (Lidl especially) which defeats the object of the exercise. During a particularly bleak financial period some years ago I did very well by getting a good bit of our shopping at Iceland and another cheap store. I was working full time and avoided paying for transport where possible but could walk to both with a bit of planning. When I have to I can live very frugally.

I don't buy biscuits, cereal bars etc very often and my circumstances at present mean that I don't mind paying a bit more for them when they are bought as a treat or for visitors. I don't consider careful budgeting being mean, I think people used to be a lot more careful with their spending even if they had disposable income.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 9th, 2017, 1:26 pm

It's kind of come up before
Most people on this board are interested in food, and don't go in for the ridiculous waste you see on documentaries (usually with Gregg Wallace) - you know the, people who buy 4 bags of salad every week and throw away three on the Best By date

Frankly I don't see why these profligates shouldn't be ashamed of themselves, when it gets to those extremes, it is a moral as well as an economic issue IMO. Some of them perhaps need a psychologist but most of them are just annoying.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 9th, 2017, 1:31 pm

StokeySue wrote:It's kind of come up before
Most people on this board are interested in food, and don't go in for the ridiculous waste you see on documentaries (usually with Gregg Wallace) - you know the, people who buy 4 bags of salad every week and throw away three on the Best By date

Frankly I don't see why these profligates shouldn't be ashamed of themselves, when it gets to those extremes, it is a moral as well as an economic issue IMO. Some of them perhaps need a psychologist but most of them are just annoying.

And disorganised bad planners who have no idea of what is in the fridge/freezer, so probably have dreadful memories too!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 9th, 2017, 4:59 pm

I always think half the fun of being a foodie is planning what to do with left-overs/miscellaneous bits & pieces.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 9th, 2017, 5:29 pm

I was brought up to the other extreme (as I am sure most wartime and post-war babies were). My paternal grandmother used to cook a potato for lunch but usually only eat half of it - she was the kind of person who ate to live rather than live to eat. A solitary small half of a boiled potato would often sit in her larder waiting to be eaten at the next meal, possibly with a dab of salad cream. Cold half boiled potatoes have a tendency to go a grey colour and IMO taste horrible. I have a horror of cold boiled potatoes to this day and feel little guilt if I throw a small piece away even though I feel she may be watching me :? . My mother usually fried left over potato :chops: :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » October 9th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Seatallan wrote:I always think half the fun of being a foodie is planning what to do with left-overs/miscellaneous bits & pieces.

Oh, me too Seatallen. Sometimes those meals are better than the originals......only wish I wrote the recipes down sometimes...
Because I have a 48 mile round trip to the supermarkets, Lidl and Tesco, I think I do tend to overbuy sometimes as it is cheaper than driving to get extra supplies. I have a good butcher and a not so good Coop a little nearer which I do use. We don't eat out often, and so I think we can afford to spoil ourselves a little. But even so, I rarely throw food out.
We are in France for a month just now, Alps, a few good lunches, but mainly cooking in the evening. I am finding everything a little more expensive this year.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 9th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Seatallan wrote:I always think half the fun of being a foodie is planning what to do with left-overs/miscellaneous bits & pieces.

Quite agree! We are having a programme of eating out of the freezers & freeing up space for Xmas food. :chops:
On Saturday night we did 2 turkey legs in the SC. Sunday we had some of the meat with steamed veg. Tonight we had some of the remains with rice, and there is enough fro two more portions tomorrow.
Only the bones, skin and sinews have been thrown :tu: ;)

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 9th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Grassy, why are you buying cereal bars and biscuits? You’re doing Slimming World aren’t you?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 9th, 2017, 9:17 pm

A few years back when my dad was out of work, my parents had to live very frugally. She actually really enjoyed the challenge of feeding them good wholesome food for as little as possible and actually really enjoyed the cooking. They actually ate really well and she still cooks a lot of the frugal meals now, simply because they like them. The good thing now is that they can enjoy a treat every now and then too, or can eat out or get takeaway too.
Catherine
Registered

Postby EmWilk » October 9th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Grassy, why are you buying cereal bars and biscuits? You’re doing Slimming World aren’t you?

Crikey, get away with nowt round here! :lol:

I shop at these kinda places. Every now and then we do a "home bargs run" (actually usually b&m) where we get things like ketchup, brown sauce, tea bags, beans (Branston Sue - 4 for £1 round here on a good day!), salt & pepper and we stock up on all the toiletries we need which are much cheaper generally.

It's usually a false economy for us as the whole marketing ploy of these stores gets us good and proper and we end up buying a load of stuff we really don't need like crisps, chocolate, etc. :oops:

Generally though, I shop at all different places, not because of money but because of what I like... aldi is good for baby stuff, bread, cheese, cordial, cereals but I go to Morrison's for fruit and veg because you can buy singularly. Aldi, I find everything is pre-packed and thus, a waste.

Booths, I like to have a nosey but find a lot of identically branded items much more expensive than where I buy them and even basic like milk.

I go to one of 2 butchers for meat, the oriental supermarket for certain things, the Asian market for others... I think I like the experience too which might be part of it.

I don't like wasting food, probably because I'm greedy, but I do have occasions where we throw things out of the fridge and i feel like i shouldve made more of an effort.

Can't beat a good leftovers tea sometimes!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 10th, 2017, 6:37 am

Like most people here, I can't bear the thought of wasting food. Last week, I made a new to me vegan recipe - just out of interest. It was simple to make, but I totally overdid the amount of chillies - to the extent that was quite inedible - I simply had to throw it away. I was riddled with that "I hope nobody saw me" sort of guilt all evening.
Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » October 10th, 2017, 9:17 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Grassy, why are you buying cereal bars and biscuits? You’re doing Slimming World aren’t you?

she didn't say she was eating them, just buying them. maybe she buys them for her sister or guests.
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 10th, 2017, 12:28 pm

I really want Branston but they seem to have vanished

FWIW, just got back from our local Asda (which we very rarely visit), they had them there.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 10th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Gruney wrote:Like most people here, I can't bear the thought of wasting food. Last week, I made a new to me vegan recipe - just out of interest. It was simple to make, but I totally overdid the amount of chillies - to the extent that was quite inedible - I simply had to throw it away. I was riddled with that "I hope nobody saw me" sort of guilt all evening.

Without knowing what it was you made, could you not have made another lot without ant chilli and mixed the 2 together and freeze portions? Another option would be to add yoghurt or cream. - only if you are not vegan obviously.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 10th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Catherine wrote:Without knowing what it was you made, could you not have made another lot without ant chilli and mixed the 2 together and freeze portions? Another option would be to add yoghurt or cream. - only if you are not vegan obviously.

I thought about all the options, Catherine, but it was positively incendiary! It wasn't sauce based - it was essentially a tray bake. Nobody's fault but my own - I massively overdid the chillies. Oh - I'm not a vegan; I'd bought the new H F-W book out of interest, and was experimenting.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 10th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Reporting back on the Branston Quest, local supplies (no point checking on line, as that doesn't always tell me what's on the shelves in Stokey)
Asda - 3 x 410g £1 only
Morrison's, where I last bought them, zilch
Sainsbury - 1x 220g 50p
Iceland, who haven't had any for weeks if not months, where I was buying them regularly
3x 410g £1.09 BUT 3x 220g £1 :o

Go figure. No sign of any Branston ketchup though advertised on Iceland's web site for £1
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 10th, 2017, 5:01 pm

scullion wrote:

she didn't say she was eating them, just buying them. maybe she buys them for her sister or guests.

Maybe but SW is focussed on family meals and you really need to know your Syn values if you’re dabbling in biscuits. I was trying to be helpful not judgemental.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 10th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Gruney wrote:I thought about all the options, Catherine, but it was positively incendiary! It wasn't sauce based - it was essentially a tray bake. Nobody's fault but my own - I massively overdid the chillies. Oh - I'm not a vegan; I'd bought the new H F-W book out of interest, and was experimenting

I guess you could have made a soup, but sometimes it is best just to count your loses. If in your head it tasted awful then whatever you do with it, your head will say 'awful'
Catherine
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 10th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Yes, but the biskies are low-syn (and I only have 3 a day with my mid-morning :mug: at work, anyway), and the cereal bars are for after weighing ;)
When you don't eat anything between 1 PM and 7.30 PM you get pretty peckish! ;) :lol:

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 10th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Grasshopper wrote:

Yes, but the biskies are low-syn (and I only have 3 a day with my mid-morning :mug: at work, anyway), and the cereal bars are for after weighing ;)
When you don't eat anything between 1 PM and 7.30 PM you get pretty peckish! ;) :lol:

Grasshopper

But you are supposed to eat at normal times on SW. And, if you stick to it, after weighing (over) eating isn't allowed.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 10th, 2017, 8:25 pm

BUT if I eat any tea - it weighs :(
Some members don't eat all day on Weds - which isn't right :rolleyes:
A couple of after-weigh cereal bars isn't exactly over-indulging ;)
;)
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 10th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Grasshopper wrote:BUT if I eat any tea - it weighs :(
Some members don't eat all day on Weds - which isn't right :rolleyes:
A couple of after-weigh cereal bars isn't exactly over-indulging ;)
;)
Grasshopper

Read the rules Grassy. It’s not allowed. How do I know? Because I too fail. And that’s the SW let out clause.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » October 11th, 2017, 12:05 am

Bet you wish you hadn't started this thread now, grasshopper!
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 11th, 2017, 4:18 am

Sorry Grassy. I really don't mean to be harsh and I've dug myself a hole here. Like most diets SW works properly only when you reprogramme your eating habits. For me that means upping my fruit and veg and cutting out alcohol - I don't eat biscuits and cakes other than at Christmas - and then sticking to the plan. I don't have food in the house that might tempt me but then OH barely eats anything these days and my son looks out for himself so that's relatively easy for me. As I've said before I'm not doing it at the moment as the new leader is hopeless. The more weight you lose the tighter you have to be about your Syns, in fact the only time I got near a 3 stone loss I was down to 5 Syns a day. Weight loss slows down as the body adjusts to less calories. As for not eating on a weigh-in day, well everyone tries that one. You just need to bear in mind it's not actually fat loss.

Sorry if I've offended. :hug: :hug: I'm starting SW again next week. I've found a group on a Thursday morning in Eastcote. I want to lose a stone before Christmas.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 11th, 2017, 10:36 am

When I lost 5 stones I was being weighed every two weeks by the nurse at the health centre. She was very critical if I didn't lose enough, but encouraged me to keep at it. One thing that caused a problem in the early days was that I mistook the fruit juice claims that they are part of your "five a day". They may be, but they also had a lot of sugar. I went to real fruit.

Although I was working at that time, I wasn't very active. I found that a good healthy breakfast of cereal and fruit, a snack for tea when I got home, and a moderate supper was enough. I cut out all the snacks during the day, all sweets, and missed lunch, unless it was a small sandwich or fruit.

The real thing that lost the last few pounds was going fat-free for three months while waiting for my gall bladder operation.

Losing weight just doesn't go with biscuits and cereal bars. When I did it and got into the swing of it, I consistently lost weight, there were no weeks when I put on half a pound. It took me 18 months to lose 5 stone, which was over 25% of my body weight. My BMI came down from 34 to 24.

Owing to poor health for a while, sadly, some of the weight has gone back on, but I'm working on that, and my waist measurement is still 7 inches less than it was when I started.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » October 11th, 2017, 12:20 pm

SW is low fat, very low sugar and restricted bread/cereal/alcohol but you can eat loads of other stuff so long as at least one third of your plate is free fruit or veg. If you stick to it it’s foolproof. Human nature makes it hard though. We all need treats. :(
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 11th, 2017, 12:48 pm

There is a Slimming World thread isn't there? I'm sure I've seen the 'headline' ............Thought this one was about economising.

Not really criticising, just saying ... some of us have dieted all our lives and really don't want to read about it any more, no matter how much others may think that we should ...... but economising ... now I'm happy to read about that :D :tu: however every time I visit this thread I find it's about Slimming World :cry: ;) :hug:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » October 11th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Well said Suffs :tu: :tu: :tu:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 11th, 2017, 3:35 pm

suffolk wrote:There is a Slimming World thread isn't there? I'm sure I've seen the 'headline' ............Thought this one was about economising.

Not really criticising, just saying ... some of us have dieted all our lives and really don't want to read about it any more, no matter how much others may think that we should ...... but economising ... now I'm happy to read about that :D :tu: however every time I visit this thread I find it's about Slimming World :cry: ;) :hug:

Someone could also start a general weight loss thread, then I could boast about losing 25+ kilograms whilst still eating cake! :twisted:

Some
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » October 11th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Well, I think that it is very important not to waste cake and that your tip would be helpful to us all Suelle ;)

(I see no reason why general weight loss can't be discussed on the SW thread )
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 11th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Knuckles suitably rapped.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 11th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Fair enough!! :)

One final comment from a friend who went on a diet...

"Good healthy food is a lot more expensive than junk food..." :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » October 12th, 2017, 7:41 am

I suspect this mainly refers to meat and fish? Although Quorn is pricy, I admit.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 12th, 2017, 7:44 am

Herbidacious wrote:I suspect this mainly refers to meat and fish? Although Quorn is pricy, I admit.

Even fresh fruit and vegetables are expensive compared to filling up on cheap carbohydrates such as bread and potatoes.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop