I'm Not tight-fisted, BUT ............

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: I'm Not tight-fisted, BUT ............

Postby suffolk » October 12th, 2017, 8:05 am

I've not done proper comparisons, but tinned vegetables (eg green beans) seem to me to be cheaper than fresh or frozen ... has anyone any idea if I'm right?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 12th, 2017, 8:19 am

suffolk wrote:I've not done proper comparisons, but tinned vegetables (eg green beans) seem to me to be cheaper than fresh or frozen ... has anyone any idea if I'm right?

I don't think so!

An example - Tesco Everyday tinned carrots in water are 1.25per kg, but 140g of the 300g weight is water, so the true price is almost double that. Fresh carrots, in a 1kg pack are 45p, loose are 60p a kg.

You'd need to waste a lot when peeling fresh, for the tinned to become cheaper, although tinned carrots don't go off and just need reheating.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » October 12th, 2017, 8:36 am

Of course ... :rolleyes: forgot the water :rolleyes: more :mug: :mug: :mug: needed :oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 12th, 2017, 8:47 am

Glad you posted Suffolk, back to the OP. In our town the Co-op is generally more expensive than Waitrose, Asda is the cheapest. Also, we have plenty of independent food shops and so our shopping tends to be a mixture.

Certainly we don't do waste – there's two half eaten small steam puddings in the fridge to be finished tonight, though a small piece of a flat bread garlic bread will not be eaten!

Waitrose is ten minutes walk, the rest of the shops about fifteen. Aldi is a half hour drive – so that comes into the equation. Occasionally we will drive there for a larger shop – it is worth it though fresh produce doesn't seem to keep as well as Waitrose's.

We balance taste, convenience and keeping small shops trading, more than we used to. When the kids were at home, we needed two large trolleys, without them we can shop fresh almost daily.

We don't use Poundland anymore, apart from getting bits for Advent Calenders. We bought a pack of three Palmolive soap, only to find the packaging covering a lot of air. Maclean's toothpaste £1, Waitrose normal price for a slightly bigger tube, 80p.

Waitrose now discount – yellow stickers – fruit and veg near sell by date. Yesterday bought tomatoes and plums. Some satsumas I bought two weeks ago were finally finished yesterday. I find in general Waitrose stuff keeps better than other places.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 12th, 2017, 8:55 am

I have the same experience with Waitrose Dennispc ... and coupled with the fact that it's just down the road and I have to go past it to leave the village, what I don't get from OH at the farm shop I get from Waitrose ... as long as I'm not tempted by some of their more gorgeous items too often I find it just as economical as anywhere else.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2017, 8:57 am

Frozen is often cheaper than fresh, because there is no waste, spinach and peas being the obvious examples
They also have the advantage that you can take exactly the amount you want, I've just bought a bag of sweetcorn 'cos I'm tired of half cans lurking in the fridge, and while I expected it to be cheaper, I was surprised just how much :o

Wish they'd do a smaller bag though, a year's supply is about £1.50 so I can see why they don't
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 12th, 2017, 9:27 am

All I can is that all you Wildies are spoilt for choice, seasonal produce is excellent here but anything imported is expensive and often of dubious quality.
I do buy Birds Eye peas because I know that they will be good, all other brands are tough. I do buy locally frozen artichokes and broad beans. We can now buy multipacks of Tesco's frozen salmon, as "fresh salmon" is actually frozen Norwegian.
Most fish is either farmed or frozen.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 12th, 2017, 9:31 am

Of course, if you are going to do real comparisons you have to factor in the cost of running a deep freeze and the cost of cooking veg from raw ;) ! I think for ease of use frozen is best - not the fancy veg that firms like Birds Eye package to the hilt so you can steam in the pack of course. To be able to take just the amount of ready prepared veg you want certainly saves wasting food and most veg is frozen very soon after harvesting so it's very fresh.

Tinned veg is also great for storing though.

Savvy supermarket shopping - and buying items on the sell by/use by date really does save the pennies though. I go to Sainsburys or Waitrose usually and have no complaints about the keeping quality of food from either. It's not always so good from other supermarkets IMO.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 12th, 2017, 9:31 am

I've given up on Waitrose stone fruit. It looks wonderful but never seems to ripen. I also have 4 beautiful pears in my fruit bowl, use by date September 13th. Still glistening but hard as rocks. This years peaches and nectarines the same. I am also pissed off with their new self service tills which don't take cash.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on October 12th, 2017, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 12th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Suelle wrote:You'd need to waste a lot when peeling fresh, for the tinned to become cheaper, although tinned carrots don't go off and just need reheating.

Am I the only one who doesn't bother peeling carrots?

Sorry but I do think there is some relevance to junk food here - the supermarkets all advertise offers of the week etc on TV where several items have their prices majorly slashed for the limited period, but in the main this is junk food, biscuits, crisps, cakes, pizza, chips etc. Why can't they do this this with proper food? It isn't actually helping anyone People on a tight budget could really take advantage of good deals on actual food, meat, fish, fresh fruit and veg etc. Being able to buy a tube of pringles for £1 is pointless
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Catherine wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't bother peeling carrots?

Possibly, sometimes I don't but as carrots like to grow in sandy soil I often find the peel is a little abrasive

Most supermarkets seem to do a selection of veg at a low price each week, and there are usually offers in meat, fish, and dairy

Ive had some very good veg and fish deals at Morrison's
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 12th, 2017, 1:38 pm

I can't find any decent stone fruit these days. Costco plums and nectarines are tasteless and rock hard. Their grapes, cherries and figs are good though. The butcher has the best peaches but still not wonderful. And not cheap.

For cheap fruit I buy oranges mainly. Some apples.

We did have our own apple tree but it succumbed to disease :(
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » October 12th, 2017, 6:29 pm

I think the best stone fruit (in season) can be found in markets - the cheap and cheerful sort. They still seem to get them from wherever they were got years ago :lol:

I peel carrots if I have guests or if I want something to look a bit polished or if I am going to grate for a salad - unpeeled carrots are so dull-looking. If it's just me I just give them a scrub.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 14th, 2017, 1:49 pm

I peel carrots if they look a bit scabby, or scrape them if not. I believe Tom Kerridge uses a nylon scourer.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 14th, 2017, 2:06 pm

I had a special scourer from Lakeland for root veg, it was excellent, but they seem to have disappeared, and mine fell apart after a few years
Sort pf thing you might fall over unexpectedly (Betterware comes to mind, also Christmas catalogues)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I wrote the above and THEN Googled - look what's on the Betterware site - not the same as the Lakeland ones, but possibly good
https://www.betterware.co.uk/vegetable- ... ads-2.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 14th, 2017, 9:39 pm

I am also pissed off with their new self service tills which don't take cash.
Not just self service but cash in general is outdated and not going to be accepted as such very soon in a lot of places. Having said that, we watched a Spanish girl trying to use her phone to 'pay' for some duty free stuff, which did not work. So a work in process for some places. We watched an interesting programme a week or so ago about cash being obsolete very soon.

I am happy to admit to being careful but not tightfisted, I suppose I was indoctrinated by Dad's experience of WW2... Still scrape butter papers :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 15th, 2017, 6:51 am

I save butter papers folded in the fridge after scraping and use them for greasing baking tins ... doesn't everyone do that?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 15th, 2017, 8:07 am

suffolk wrote:I save butter papers folded in the fridge after scraping and use them for greasing baking tins ... doesn't everyone do that?

:tu:
dennispc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 15th, 2017, 8:30 am

I have a fridge just for butter papers..... :o Not really.... but yes, save them too for lining the bottom of cake tins :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 15th, 2017, 8:48 am

I used to do that with butter papers but now I don't use enough butter or do enough baking

I find a pleasing link between getting every last scrap out of a container and getting it cleaned up for recycling, for example rinsing out bottles of washing up liquid, shampoo etc. <polishes thrifty halo>
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 15th, 2017, 9:44 am

I throw away butter paper now. Since I found silicone baking sheets, most of my tins have pre-cut liners, that I re-use.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » October 15th, 2017, 10:03 am

I rarely buy butter so the papers are a nice bonus. MIL always laid a butter paper over the top of steamed puddings before wrapping in the cloth.

I hate bottles made with lids you can't get off to remove every last drop of the contents :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » October 15th, 2017, 10:24 am

i have one of those half moon jar/bottle scrapers.
scullion
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » October 15th, 2017, 10:36 am

[quote="scullion"]have one of those half moon jar/bottle scrapers.

So have I, but why oh why after you have carefully scraped all the dregs to the top does it have to flick most of the bits over me as you carefully remove it from the jar :lol:

All butter papers here are saved, then used to wrap round newspaper for firelighting purposes, as is fatty kitchen roll.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 15th, 2017, 7:07 pm

I use a little silicone spatula for scraping the last remains from jars, dishes and anything else where I want to use every last morsel .. I also water down the last bit of washing up liquid/shampoo/conditioner and even cut the end off any plastic tube to get at the last dregs ..(I got a couple more showers out of my Fenjal shower cream ;) )

I have also acquired some small lidded containers (sauce from takeaways ??) that are very useful for the last couple of tablespoons of sauce/gravy/juice, or whatever ....
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 15th, 2017, 7:14 pm

We've a few clip top plastic boxes that are ideal for left over gravy, sauces etc. Add to the next lot. Our freezer always has some stock in them.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 15th, 2017, 7:46 pm

I didn't bother peeling the carrots when I did the dinner today - just topped, tailed & sliced them.
Most of the time you shouldn't need to peel carrots, unless they seriously need it.

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 15th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Grasshopper wrote:

I didn't bother peeling the carrots when I did the dinner today - just topped, tailed & sliced them.
Most of the time you shouldn't need to peel carrots, unless they seriously need it.

On my recent cookery course, our tutor mentioned that there is no need to peel most veg and that the goodness is just under the skin .. One of the others on the course said that she used vegetables from her allotment, but that she used horse manure and also gets rabbits on the allotment so would the veg still be safe to eat :aww: :rolleyes: ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 15th, 2017, 9:01 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:On my recent cookery course, our tutor mentioned that there is no need to peel most veg and that the goodness is just under the skin .. One of the others on the course said that she used vegetables from her allotment, but that she used horse manure and also gets rabbits on the allotment so would the veg still be safe to eat :aww: :rolleyes: ;) :lol:

I believe the idea that "the goodness is just under the skin" is merely an old wives tale, presumably promoted by old wives who didn't own speed peelers :lol:
Look at a carrot, with a magnifying glass, the core indifferent form the rest, but the layer under the skin isnt
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2017, 10:38 am

I heard this about potatoes - or at least their actual skins being nutritious - but not carrots.

I don't peel anything unless I am doing roast potatoes, but primarily for laziness (and not wasting things :) ) reasons.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 16th, 2017, 10:53 am

Chinchilla_lady wrote:All butter papers here are saved, then used to wrap round newspaper for firelighting purposes, as is fatty kitchen roll.

What a wizard wheeze! I must remember that. :tu: :tu: :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 16th, 2017, 11:26 am

On the odd occasion when I do fry in oil and then drain on newspaper with a sheet of kitchen roll on the top of the newspapers, I save the papers for lighting the fire or in summer for the BBQ. :tu:

Ketchup bottle gets a bit of vinegar and shaken to get the last droddle out. Same for mayo unless I can get a spatula into the jar.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 16th, 2017, 12:00 pm

I do the vinegar thing with ketchup and brown sauce bottles but we really don't use either very much, I also never throw away a finished bottle of washing up liquid, shampoo or conditioner without adding a good amount of water, shaking it and extracting the last drops

Wizard wheeze with the oily kitchen towels though,
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » October 16th, 2017, 1:52 pm

We have to wipe pans out etc as we are on private drainage, any fatbergs here and Mr C has to remove them himself, which does not make me the popular person :oops:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby scullion » October 16th, 2017, 2:10 pm

and us - we drain all 'empty' oil bottles and cooking oil left in pans in the garden to let soil bacteria do the job. oily kitchen paper goes into the worm bins/compost.
scullion
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 16th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:
Chinchilla_lady wrote:All butter papers here are saved, then used to wrap round newspaper for firelighting purposes, as is fatty kitchen roll.

What a wizard wheeze! I must remember that. :tu: :tu: :tu:

We don't use enough butter to do that. Oily paper towels go on the fire

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 17th, 2017, 9:16 am

Chinchilla_lady wrote:We have to wipe pans out etc as we are on private drainage, any fatbergs here and Mr C has to remove them himself, which does not make me the popular person :oops:

We had to do the same before we got the mains drainage (toute a legout). The previous owner of the house had not been as particular and we had a horrendous farberg to deal with the very first summer :sprout: :sprout:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 17th, 2017, 10:06 am

I put any leftover cooking oil into the collection drum of a neighbouring restaurant and it gets recycled into fuel
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 17th, 2017, 2:20 pm

I never have any left over cooking oil or oily paper towels, as I never deep fry and shallow fry about twice a year...

Butter paper is a good tip for France. I get through butter at a rate of snail in England but in France, for some reason... it's not unknown to get through a packet in a weekend :shock:
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop