Get our 'free' app....!!!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Get our 'free' app....!!!

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 10th, 2017, 7:14 am

I may not be alone or I might be doing something wrong (the latter is very possible...)

Why do I find myself bombarded with appealing TV ads saying 'get our free app now!' to which I think ooh, lovely! Try to sign up for this freebie to find there is a charge to download.

In this case, Groupon, £3.89. It's not going to break the bank but I really don't like being led down a garden path. Do these people want our business or not?

No wonder I have never been a big app fan......
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Get our 'free' app....!!!

Postby smitch » October 10th, 2017, 7:26 am

I don't know if I'm missing something, but the Groupon app is totally free to download. You pay if you want to purchase any of the deals.
smitch
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 10th, 2017, 7:26 am

If it says it's free then surely it should be? They must make their money from people who think 'it won't break the bank'! I am one of the people who would tell them to go to hell :lol: . I don't mind paying if it is a reliable organisation and whatever I am looking at is worthy of subscription but I think you are probably just paying to buy the app from Google Play or somesuch.

I find it quite easy to go into sites via the internet on my phone - I have trouble enough finding the basic apps on my phone (camera, settings, phone, contacts, diary etc) as there seem to be so many, I don't want more!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 10th, 2017, 7:29 am

This was definitely a charge to just download the app. I may have another look later but doubt it because this sort of thing really gives me the rebellious hump.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby smitch » October 10th, 2017, 7:36 am

It's definitely free on android and from the App Store on iPhone. You don't need the app to buy from them, but the deals on Groupon are not that great anyway, I rarely use it.
smitch
Registered

Postby EmWilk » October 10th, 2017, 7:37 am

Sometimes there are 2 versions... a free one and then a paid one which doesn't have adverts on it. Some people find the ads annoying enough to want to pay to get rid of them.
EmWilk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 10th, 2017, 8:43 am

As others have said, if the app is free the app is free to download, but it may then tempt you to buy stuff
A good example is Kindle. The app is free and safe. But to use it you need compatible ebooks, some are available free but most of the ones I want have to be bought
If you download your apps through Amazon App Store or Google Play or other major supplier the info you see before you download will warn you if "In app (or in game) purchases available" and will also tell you, if as Em says, there are two versions, one free one bought. That's mainly for games and GPS based apps in my experience
The app supplier may also bombard you with emails encouraging you to use the app, though not all do that, some are very restrained, or only send you the mails you have agreed to, such as a weekly summary of use.

I would be slightly more wary of direct downloads, I prefer to use an app store where there is slightly more control
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 10th, 2017, 8:49 am

Well, this is all interesting reading, and just remembering that I had to send an email reply to a good friend went into my email and found an email from Groupon accepting my registration. I am going to leave it alone for today and have a quick inspect later on. Maybe. I only want to look at things where there is something in it for me. Who wouldn't?
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » October 10th, 2017, 9:10 am

StokeySue wrote:A good example is Kindle. The app is free and safe. But to use it you need compatible ebooks, some are available free but most of the ones I want have to be bought

there's a really good, free, program that you can download called 'calibre' - https://calibre-ebook.com . with it, you can convert one format of ebook/text to another. i was given a vast amount of ebooks in epub format that i convert using 'calibre' to read on my kindle.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 10th, 2017, 10:03 am

smitch wrote:I don't know if I'm missing something, but the Groupon app is totally free to download. You pay if you want to purchase any of the deals.

I subscribe to both Groupon and Living Social and didn't have to pay for either .. only for the stuff you want to buy - .. However, mine are downloaded to my laptop, not via an app (I don't think anyway ??? :? ) ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 10th, 2017, 10:31 am

If your coupons are delivered to your email, you probably aren't using an app
If you have an icon on your desktop and you click to see offers then tge icon is the faceof an app
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop