Scary driving related story

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Scary driving related story

Postby Meganthemog » October 10th, 2017, 11:13 am

Thought I'd share this with you.
I had coffee with a friend yesterday and she told me what has been going on in her life since March.
She had an appointment at the local hospital which she attended - she went back to her car and turned her phone back on to check for calls.
As she is sitting in her car with the engine off she became aware of 3 teenage girls hanging about just to the left of the front of her car - she'd reversed into the space.
They were just standing around in front of the car parked next to her. As she started the engine and moved forward, one of the girls dropped to the ground. As she wasn't right next to her my friend carried on and drove away.
The next day the police called on her. They said that she had been accused of running over someone in the hospital car park - and there were two witnesses.
Anyway fast forward to last month when she went to Magistrates Court.
Her solicitor had done a bit of detective work and had found out that the 3 girls were all from the same family - 2 of them were said to be independent witnesses to the crime.
The witness statement contained a photograph of a small bruise on her heel. Her statement said that she would never be the same again following the trauma.
The three magistrates on duty were, according to the probation officer present - very new to the job - and afterwards she said she was astonished at the sentencing.
The magistrates found my friend guilty of grievous bodily harm and driving without due care and attention and leaving the scene of a crime and not reporting it. They suggested a custodial sentence until her solicitor challenged them. He produced lots of testimonials in praise of my friend. She is a business woman of long standing, is the chairman of a local charity and general good egg. I've known her for over 10 years - she's in her 70s - a nicer woman you could not meet.
Eventually they said ok and gave her 18 months suspended sentence, 18 months driving ban, £1000 fine, 80 hours community service.
Her solicitor suggested that she contested it and went to Crown Court but after 6 months of stress she just wants to get on with her life.
They awarded the victim £600 and she is now going for Government compensation of £10,000.
If my friend had had a dash cam it would have been able to prove what actually happened.
I am now going to get a dash cam.
Meganthemog
Registered

Re: Scary driving related story

Postby Seatallan » October 10th, 2017, 11:20 am

My goodness Megan- what a scary story. :shock:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 10th, 2017, 11:31 am

Seatallan wrote:My goodness Megan- what a scary story. :shock:

Yes, gets you thinking doesn't it?
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 10th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Wasn't there any security camera's on the hospital car park? Its a sad fact that this can happen these days :hug:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 10th, 2017, 12:07 pm

icelesley wrote:Wasn't there any security camera's on the hospital car park? Its a sad fact that this can happen these days :hug:

Unfortunately not in that spot.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby cooksalot » October 10th, 2017, 12:15 pm

What an awful story!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 10th, 2017, 1:45 pm

That is terrible! I will be sure to mention this to my Mum. What a terrifying experience for your friend. It is a damn shame there were no cameras or security guards because they are pretty quick, even in hospital car parks, to pounce when they find you with no parking ticket. This happened to my Mum while she was looking around the car park for a ticket machine that worked. Please let your friend have my sympathies. I know what it is like to be put through the justice system for a crime that I did not commit. Luckily the officers handling the affair saw through my accuser's terrible lies and there was NFA. How horrible to be pulled through the courts in such a way.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 10th, 2017, 1:52 pm

I feel so sorry for your friend. That’s awful.

You may remember I had a car accident in July. A Jag came out of a side road (I was on the main road) didn’t stop and ploughed straight into me. At the time he admitted it was his fault so I was astonished when his insurance company tried to prove negligence on my part. :o Guess who was the lucky one? My main witness, who was following me in his car, had a dashcam too. 8-) 8-)

They can be a double edged sword though if you aren’t a competent driver.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 10th, 2017, 2:07 pm

The dreadful thing is that the magistrates appear to have been totally hoodwinked by these girls - you'd think that a magistrate would be more worldly wise than that!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby smitch » October 10th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I feel so sorry for your friend. That’s awful.

You may remember I had a car accident in July. A Jag came out of a side road (I was on the main road) didn’t stop and ploughed straight into me. At the time he admitted it was his fault so I was astonished when his insurance company tried to prove negligence on my part. :o Guess who was the lucky one? My main witness, who was following me in his car, had a dashcam too. 8-) 8-)

They can be a double edged sword though if you aren’t a competent driver.

Yes, my husband works in insurance claims. He often tells me of dash cam footage sent in by the insured to show their innocence that actually proves they were at fault.
smitch
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 10th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Meganthemog wrote:The dreadful thing is that the magistrates appear to have been totally hoodwinked by these girls - you'd think that a magistrate would be more worldly wise than that!

She really should appeal.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 10th, 2017, 6:05 pm

So sad. My daughter was targeted by someone who drove onto the back of her quite hard when she was stationary at traffic lights. They exchanged details quite civilly but then the people claimed to the insurers that it was all DD's fault for various reasons including that her car had rolled back (on a road with no gradient). The matter was finally settled just before it got to court. Nothing surprises me after that but the case described by the OP is really horrible and there seem to be more and more such cases. I hate the 'tell tale' aspect of dash cams but in these kind of cases can see they are probably the only answer. What an awful world this has become.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 10th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Are you sure that this isn't another urban myth? It reads like one to me.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 11th, 2017, 8:25 am

miss mouse wrote:Are you sure that this isn't another urban myth? It reads like one to me.

No Miss Mouse, I actually know the lady in question and am now one of her driving buddies as she has to try to run her business and charity work with no licence.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 11th, 2017, 8:26 am

It should be a bl**dy Urban Myth but unfortunately it is completely true!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Kavey » October 13th, 2017, 9:44 am

Pepper Pig wrote:
Meganthemog wrote:The dreadful thing is that the magistrates appear to have been totally hoodwinked by these girls - you'd think that a magistrate would be more worldly wise than that!

I agree. I do appreciate that the last few months must have been horrendously stressful but it seems totally unacceptable to me that the magistrates would fall for what is blatantly a scam, where there is no evidence other than that which could readily be fabricated by the claimant, and their judgement is pretty onerous on your friend even without custodial. It's like three newbies trying to prove they can be tough even on little old ladies.
I would contest it. Solicitor may be able to find that these girls have tried it on before, which would show a pattern.
Kavey
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 13th, 2017, 10:30 am

Kavey wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:

I agree. I do appreciate that the last few months must have been horrendously stressful but it seems totally unacceptable to me that the magistrates would fall for what is blatantly a scam, where there is no evidence other than that which could readily be fabricated by the claimant, and their judgement is pretty onerous on your friend even without custodial. It's like three newbies trying to prove they can be tough even on little old ladies.
I would contest it. Solicitor may be able to find that these girls have tried it on before, which would show a pattern.

I agree Kavey, unfortunately it has caused her so much stress and taken up so much of her time, that she has decided to just let it go. She's of the opinion that if she holds onto the angst and the anger, it will just cause her more pain - which at her age she doesn't want.
If it was me that would be a different story.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » October 13th, 2017, 12:02 pm

it's also unfortunate that she has validated the scam - hopefully the next person will be more up for a fight.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 13th, 2017, 1:50 pm

I must agree with Scully but also wonder of these 3 charmers have not got a record elsewhere, with police and/or social services? I supect the whole incident has not really been investigated in the detail it should have been. The police would probably say lack of resources and time.

None of which helps your friend though does it? Can you persuade her to take further advice?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 14th, 2017, 10:02 pm

This sort of injustice makes me livid........ I am like a dog with a bone if I feel wronged (the Saga Saga) not sure I will be able to do this in another 10+ years time.

I hope the 3 delinquents have another go (they sound stupid) and the truth comes to light..... for your friend, this sort of behaviour is so wrong !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Kavey » October 15th, 2017, 4:38 pm

I understand where she's coming from. I feel huge sympathy for her and nothing but contempt and anger at these lying little wretches.
Kavey
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 1st, 2017, 11:11 am

Last week 'Metro' ( a London free paper) had a story about a young woman launching herself at a stationary taxi and claiming that she had been run over. Luckily the driver had a dash cam.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 3rd, 2017, 1:40 pm

And at the other end of the age range:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03 ... -licences/
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Amber » November 3rd, 2017, 9:11 pm

Interesting concept.