Ingredients missed from a recipe

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Ingredients missed from a recipe

Postby icelesley » October 11th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Have you ever seen a recipe on TV and thought I must try that. Then get to the supermarket and try and remember the recipe when you see one of the ingredients. Last night I called into Morrisons, they had some ripe figs it said 3 for £1 but when I got to the till it was on'y .52p for 3 anyway I digress. I remember seeing a programme at the weekend can't remember which, they did a recipe with figs, Parma ham, mozerella cheese and honey, so trying to remember the recipe I bought the ingredients and we tried it. It was lovely but I felt it just lacked something. So I have looked online and discovered it was Jamie Oliver and I had missed three ingredients them being torn basil leaf, lemon juice and evoo. It was so nice I will try it again with the forgotten bits. Have you ever done the same but the food was still delicious?

edited to add the recipe https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fru ... the-world/
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Re: Ingredients missed from a recipe

Postby earthmaiden » October 11th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Yes, but usually because I didn't have the ingredients or didn't want to buy them but thought it would be ok without. I can see that your missing ingredients would have added quite a lot of flavour.

I just don't 'get' figs .. i.e. why people treat them like a food of the gods. Either I am not a god or I have not tasted a good one. There are other 'special' foods which leave me wondering 'why?' as well. :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 11th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Now I must say I adore figs and get really excited when fig season comes around. :chops: :chops: :chops:

On the missing ingredient theme I did inadvertently leave out the sugar when making a batch of chocolate muffins recently. I'd love to say they were really nice but actually they were foul and I had to give them to the birdies. :oops: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 12th, 2017, 6:39 am

I can't say I normally like figs myself. They are too perfumed (if you know what I mean) for me But the recipe just got me thinking. When I saw the figs I thought have ago, they were quite sweet actualy. I normally just buy them for OH and roast them with honey.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby uschi » October 12th, 2017, 7:36 am

OH makes a lovely elderberry and fig jelly which I really adore.
Other than that I am not that keen on figs, either.
uschi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2017, 8:13 am

Figs ARE the food of the gods, no argument :lol:

Seriously, I love them, fresh dried or whatever (had some jam that was a bit bleugh)

I tend to think I am not very keen on salt but I made a chilli, and it just didn't seem right. Took me a while to work out that I'd fogot ten the salt.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 12th, 2017, 8:56 am

Would anyone not liking figs please send their share here ...... PDQ!!! :drool:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 12th, 2017, 9:46 am

Not if I get in the way first Suffs! :chops: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby FoodMary » October 12th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Figs are to die for - our greenhouses in Guernsey (when I was a girl we had 2,000 feet of glass houses and a leanto against one of the garden walls) always had a figtree at one end of each house - figs don't do well outdoors there because of the salt in the air. They were luscious and there was always a bowl of them on the dinner table - I can almost taste them now!!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 12th, 2017, 4:23 pm

I've bought two batches of ripe figs recently. Those from Aldi were wonderfully sweet and full of flavour. The Tesco ones were tasteless.

I think being picked unripe to minimise damage during transportation is a problem for a lot of Mediterranean fruit. It never tastes as good here as it does when bought in local markets abroad.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Return to The Coffee Shop