Butchers

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Butchers

Postby Pepper Pig » October 11th, 2017, 2:23 pm

A few weeks ago we were at a 70th birthday party for a lovely West Indian lady who happens to be our church warden. (OH is a churchgoer). It was a barbecue and the sausages, burgers and other meat were absolutely sensational. Under interrogation Flo said that she and her husband get up early every 3 months or so and take a trip to Smithfield where they buy meat to stock their freezer. They’ve done it for years. Our butcher choices are very limited round here. There are 2 Halal ones within 3 miles and 2 Q Guild (very,very expensive) ones is nearby snooty Pinner.

I usually buy our meat in supermarkets. But they have invited me on their next Smithfield trip. Very excited! Anyone else ever done it?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Butchers

Postby miss mouse » October 11th, 2017, 3:03 pm

No but I am agog to hear about your trip. How do you know who has the good meat?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 11th, 2017, 3:06 pm

No idea. I am banking on their years of experience! :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 11th, 2017, 3:18 pm

I used to do similar but our market of choice was Bury. You get to know which butchers to use etc.

I always buy a whole lamb in September from a long standing friend of my OH - his wife inherited the farm from her father and she sells direct now as the livestock market prices were so low it wasn’t covering her costs. A whole lamb costs £180 and it’s delicious with the added bonus on knowing where and how it’s been reared.

I use a local butcher in Yorkshire, one who generally uses local farmers, when I come back to Manchester I bring meat to fill the freezer. I occasionally buy at the supermarket but only if my planning has gone awry and I’ve run out of something or I see a bargain.

PP - a tip for the market, think how you are going to get all your purchases back to the car........I take an old lady’s shopping trolley much to my sons dismay! Have a great time, I used to love going to the market, well worth the early start.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 11th, 2017, 3:18 pm

How exciting! My great-aunt was a secretary at Smithfield (no relevance to the conversation really :lol: ).

To go with people 'in the know' will be lovely - make sure there's some room in your freezer!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 11th, 2017, 3:59 pm

I think lack of freezer space will be prominent in my planning, but I will be interested to see what Ali and Flo buy.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 11th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Oooh yes! Do report back PP. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » October 11th, 2017, 5:25 pm

I used to get most of my meat from Butchers Row in Leeds Market as I went through it everyday on my way to work and I found through trial and error which were the best ones. Now that I'm retired I don't get down so often so get it normally from Sainsbury's.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 11th, 2017, 5:31 pm

My brother in law buys the majority of their meat from the butchers. It is far superior and not really any more expensive unless you buy economy burgers and sausages from the supermarket. as a valued customer he often gets free bits and bobs.
Catherine
Registered

Postby scullion » October 11th, 2017, 6:08 pm

not smithfields (not my thing being a vegetarian) but i have done the four am trip to the old spitalfields market the morning of results day, coming back with boxes and boxes of free strawberries to share with the rest of the year.
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 11th, 2017, 6:26 pm

I'd love to go to Billingsgate to experience it
Catherine
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 11th, 2017, 6:26 pm

And saved money Scully? Or is it quality?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » October 11th, 2017, 6:44 pm

they were given to us by a grower who was a friend of the partner (another grower) of one of the other students. the quality was excellent and would have been even if we'd paid for them.

Catherine wrote:I'd love to go to Billingsgate to experience it

you wouldn't get me there in a century of sundays let alone a month. having smelled grimsby at four in the morning and newlyn fish market in the early morning i never want to repeat the experience of the grievous, nasal sensory assault.
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 11th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Years ago we (a couple of work colleagues and myself) used to go to Billingsgate on the odd Saturday morning. The main advantage, apart from a reasonable price, was buying it before it got to the fishmongers, so it was potentially fresher.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby scullion » October 11th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Badger's mate wrote: The main advantage, apart from a reasonable price, was buying it before it got to the fishmongers, so it was potentially fresher.

theoretically, grimsby and newlyn fish are even fresher - but it still smells vile to me.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 11th, 2017, 10:13 pm

I don't use enough meat or have enough freezer space for a Smithfield trip, though I'd love to do one, I sometimes walk through during the day
And when I was a student once or twice after nearly all night balls or events we ended up in the market pubs that opened from 4 to 9, and had a breakfast with wine
I frequent my local butcher , the lovely Jeff, I like being able to point at a piece of meat and say "I'll have that much off the left hand end of that piece please" Works out cheaper than the supermarket, as I buy exactly what I want even if it is one chop, 3 kidneys, and two rashers of bacon

We now have a Muddy Boots, their USP is that although they sell meat in supermarket style packs, their set up means they can sell better meat at roughly supermarket prices, and you can advance order special rewuests

http://muddybootsfoods.co.uk

The problem is that good as J and MB may be for the basics, neither do anything like rose veal or even duck excerpt at Christmas and Easter

There is the posh butcher Meat N16 who do these less common meats, but they are very expensive and do more of their butchery off site than I really like. They do sell game though which is a plus
http://meatlondon.co.uk/shop-n16/

I probably should go down to Borough Market more often (haven't been this year)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 11th, 2017, 10:19 pm

There used to be a very good butcher on Bushey Heath several generations of the family ran it for years, but he retired and the guy that took it on tried to up the turnover by lowering the quality. It closed within the year.

We now have a good butcher around the corner in the small shopping parade. Rare breed meat, traceable supply chain, etc...

https://www.facebook.com/ShallisButchers

PP, they are on your route to Costco at Watford, or do you go to the Costco at Wembley?
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » October 12th, 2017, 12:53 am

scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 12th, 2017, 3:07 am

I don't frequent a butcher but in a previous existence my partner then and I would go here regularly.

http://jwbaxterbutchers.co.uk/our-products/3690171

They were so popular that on a Saturday morning the queue would be out the door. My ex swore that their meat was the best he had ever eaten. We'd go there probably every two/three weeks and buy in bulk things like their different varieties of pork sausages and burgers, chicken pieces, cubed beef and portion them up for the freezer. I loved going there because, at the time, I didn't each any animal products but didn't mind cooking with them. So a shopping trip there meant loads of cooking ingredients set by for culinary practising in the kitchen. They also sold very good locally produced veg and preserves.
Now, my closest general store is mainly a Halal butcher which puts me off going in there for general items because it stinks of flesh in there!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 12th, 2017, 6:59 am

When I was a little lad, the first adult I ever heard swear was the butcher - we didn't realise adults did - we thought it was just us, and I remember it very well to this day.

I was in the queue on a Saturday morning, when a quite well spoken lady whose turn it was said to the butcher " may I have a pound and a half of your best end of neck, please?"

The butcher was a good old rough diamond, and I can see him now - whacking away with his cleaver on a scrubbed saddle shaped bench. He handed her the package and said - " there y'are missus - that's as near to the arse end as I can get it for yer".
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 12th, 2017, 8:33 am

We're lucky, we have lots of good butchers around Norwich.

The farm shop where OH works sells good quality local meat from the butcher I used when I worked over the other side of the city, so we buy quite a bit from there.

The meat from this place is superb so if I'm over in that direction I buy several things from them http://www.taverntasty.co.uk/

I go to this stall on the market whenever I'm in the city. http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/the-norwich ... -1-4792242

If I'm going down the A140 to visit DD I call in here ... http://www.goodiesfoodhall.co.uk ... another source of excellent meat prepared by a knowledgeable butcher.

:hungry:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 12th, 2017, 1:35 pm

We're blessed, too. Two perfectly good butchers, one of which I don't use. 'Our one' does really nice game (especially venison, most especially venison chops :hungry: ) and local meat. Lovely poultry at Christmas. Also a few HM items such as brawn.

There's a farm up the hill that sells its own beef and veal (amongst other things) from their shop and local farmers' markets. A sheep farmer sells his lamb and mutton at the FMs too and a poultry man who does lovely chickens out near Buntingford comes to Hertford FM. There's a chap with a stall at Hertford who makes very nice sausages. He used to work in Braughing but the sausage business was sold to an outfit in Newmarket (can't imagine what goes into their sausages :shock: ).

We have also got some nice farm shops on the way to Cambridge, which sell local meat and game, and we often bring back pheasants and bunnies from Norfolk.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 12th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Badger's - I have never noticed you live in Ware. I used to live and work there and my family tree research lead me as far back as I could go to Ware. I digress slightly, but I know Braughing well and in another existence would go there for their sausages, and if my memory serves me right a pretty little needlework/craft shop.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 12th, 2017, 7:40 pm

The good thing is that the traditional Butchers are starting to make their way back again and people generally prefer to use them than buy their meat from the supermarket which IMO is a positive thing.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 12th, 2017, 8:08 pm

We used to have TWO butchers in our village, but both are long gone. We have to go to the market in town (or Keelham Farm Shop - YUM!), if we want to go to a butcher.
Fresh meat from the butcher is the BEST - IMVHO their pies & other bakes are superior to supermarket products too. :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops: :chops:

:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Amber » October 13th, 2017, 7:52 pm

I used to work next to the original Billingsgate, and often used to buy fresh fish before work, wrap it in newspaper, and store on the floor under my desk until hometime. Who needs fridges? :o ;) :lol:
Amber
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 14th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Badger's - I have never noticed you live in Ware. I used to live and work there

When was that? It's probably changed a bit, shops come and go. I miss the health food place in Amwell end, with the herbs & spices in jars like a sweetshop, and their lovely carrot cake. Lovely people too.

I don't go to Braughing much, except for the Open Gardens day and the occasional visit to the Golden Fleece, so not sure what the shops are like now.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 14th, 2017, 2:53 pm

In Newcastle I either shopped at a very old butchers firm in Jesmond or in the Grainger market where, amonst the cheap meat places there was a very very good old-fashioned butcher/ here I almost always shop at the butchers in town unless we go to Les Halles in Avignon which is meat eaters heaven.

In my food writing days I was a judge for a couple of years for the NE Butcher of the Year award. I saw some sights wonderful and terrifying
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 14th, 2017, 3:04 pm

When I visited DD yesterday I called in here http://www.goodiesfoodhall.co.uk/ ........ I bought some beef skirt and ox kidney which is simmering in the slow cooker today (smells wonderful), ready for an S&K pie next week, some lambs' liver and local bacon to pan fry for supper this evening, a roasting chicken for DD for the weekend and two big bacon hocks, one for DD and one for us for tomorrow ... I'll simmer it with veg for a few hours then glaze and pop it in a hot oven for half an hour ... there'll be plenty left for another meal on Monday, plus the stock for soup. :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » October 14th, 2017, 5:19 pm

I've just followed the link, Suffs, and looked at the map.

Do you remember the tornado in Long Stratton? Late 80s iirc :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 14th, 2017, 6:42 pm

South Norfolk and North and Coastal Suffolk are a bit of a tornado hotspo http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/ ... -1-4114506 ... my son was living at Leiston on the Suffolk coast about three years ago when a mini tornado caused a lot of damage ... he was working and I was picking his wife up from the station as she was returning from visiting Russian and we drove back into Leiston with the car wheels crunching on broken roof tiles and people were emerging from their front doors looking shellshocked ... we had missed the storm by less than 5 minutes.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/acton-leisto ... -1-3253694
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop