Losing weight - General

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Losing weight - General

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 31st, 2017, 4:09 pm

Well done Herbi. It's annoying as something so simple in theory can be so hard to do in practice. I think my main aim is to banish my sweet tooth and watch my portion sizes , plus get exercising much more. No excuse as I live literally five minutes from the beach
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 1st, 2018, 9:19 am

Well, I seem to have put on half the weight I lost in the last year ! :o :( :cry: ... could it really have been that tub of celebrations I have consumed since Boxing Day or eating far too many leftovers .. :shock: :? :( :cry: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 1st, 2018, 1:20 pm

Haha it's always so easy to put on and so hard to get off . I've done myself a rough meal plan today of breakfasts of porridge/ fruit/ eggs, lunches of soups or salad and dinner I'm going to try at least 2-3 servings of veg plus whatever protein source . Yoghurts , fruit or hard boiled eggs for snacks
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 1st, 2018, 2:42 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Well, I seem to have put on half the weight I lost in the last year ! :o :( :cry: ... could it really have been that tub of celebrations I have consumed since Boxing Day or eating far too many leftovers .. :shock: :? :( :cry: :rolleyes:

Just how I am feeling Pat! I think I'm going to do a 4 day juice diet because I know it works for me to get me back on the straight and narrow ... after I've finished all the biscuits and cheese that is :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 1st, 2018, 3:11 pm

I certainly feel sluggish lately but that has nothing to do with it just being Christmas. I don't tend to vary my intake according to what day of the year it is. What varies is my output depending on circumstances. So recently due to physical inabilities I have started to feel a little over the weight I would prefer to be. I go by feel. I have not owned a set of scales in over two decades. I get obsessed! If a medic or a gym weigh me I ask them to keep it to themselves because if I know what I weigh, it messes with my mind! I am happier not knowing but also make sure that if I do start to feel uncomfortable, I don't feel guilty about eating any food, I just up my output.

I find that winter months (often stodgy, warming foods) and times of stress make me put on weight, warmer months (salads and lighter foods) and illnesses have made me lose. In my mind, anything in between it should be easier to maintain and be healthy and happy around both eating and doing exercise that I enjoy.

That's how I 'roll'. Well, hopefully not 'physically roll'! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 1st, 2018, 6:21 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I certainly feel sluggish lately but that has nothing to do with it just being Christmas. I don't tend to vary my intake according to what day of the year it is. What varies is my output depending on circumstances. So recently due to physical inabilities I have started to feel a little over the weight I would prefer to be. I go by feel. I have not owned a set of scales in over two decades. I get obsessed! If a medic or a gym weigh me I ask them to keep it to themselves because if I know what I weigh, it messes with my mind! I am happier not knowing but also make sure that if I do start to feel uncomfortable, I don't feel guilty about eating any food, I just up my output.

I find that winter months (often stodgy, warming foods) and times of stress make me put on weight, warmer months (salads and lighter foods) and illnesses have made me lose. In my mind, anything in between it should be easier to maintain and be healthy and happy around both eating and doing exercise that I enjoy.

That's how I 'roll'. Well, hopefully not 'physically roll'! :lol:

And what a fantastic way to roll. Great attitude
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 1st, 2018, 8:55 pm

Thanks Catherine. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » January 2nd, 2018, 12:44 am

just as a note to myself, really - i plan to lose a kilo this week. (by the 7th).
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 2nd, 2018, 9:44 am

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:Well done Herbi. It's annoying as something so simple in theory can be so hard to do in practice. I think my main aim is to banish my sweet tooth and watch my portion sizes , plus get exercising much more. No excuse as I live literally five minutes from the beach

Puddings and chocolate are pretty much the source of my weight gain. I don't eat that much, and never eat until I feel full.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 2nd, 2018, 9:54 am

Tezza I know what you mean about getting obsessed with weighing oneself. (I tend to get a bit obsessive about dieting too, if I have to do it, and about gyms, the one time I did that.) However when I had my massive weight gain back in 2012-2013, I think not daring to weigh myself is partly what made it get out of hand. (Although when I did diet, I still struggled to lose weight probably because of the meds I was on.) For me, it's easier to go into denial without some external, objective indication of how things are proceeding (and for some reason, going up a dress size didn't seem to constitute this!) But I know we each do these things our own way.

When I was younger, salad or soup lunches for a week, and no other diet tweaks would cause me to lose at least 2lbs a day, although back then I hardly ever ate anything sweet. Alas gone are those days... (and I'd probably get hypoglaecemia and cramp if I tried it.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 2nd, 2018, 1:02 pm

Anyone else listening to You and Yours on BBC4 at the moment ? All about losing weight and keeping it off ... listeners are calling in with their success (or lack of success) stories ... At the moment the guy who led the research into the effects of drastic weight loss on type 2 diabetes . He has just explained there is a big difference in what you need to eat to lose weight and how to maintain weight ..

Me ? I am sitting here at the moment eating my lunch of fresh salmon with lettuce, spring onions, celery and some of Nigella's braised red cabbage (as it needs to be used up ) :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 2nd, 2018, 1:22 pm

Did you hear the man from Hotel Chocolate - who was given only the briefest of time to say exactly what I think. Chocolate is not fattening . What wa being referred to today is confectionary not chocolate (ie sugar laden) and should NOT be called or labelled chocolate.It is not a craving for chocolate that results in eating things like Mars bars, it is a craving for sugar. If chicldren were brought up to have a square of real chocolate it would cost no more and they might actually prefer it and get more pleasure from it.

A favourite gouter (home from school snack) here is a square of real chocolate in a piece of fresh baguette.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 2nd, 2018, 4:28 pm

aero280 wrote:10lb should be easy and quick. But after that it gets harder as your body goes into “starvation mode” and starts to try and save you from losing more weight.

There is a theory that the body does the opposite when in starvation mode. I've a friend who fasts for 24 hours once a week (as did Stanley Matthews for those of a certain vintage). He explains it in terms of our hunter gatherer years, when we didn't know where the next meal was coming from, thus it shut down the 'need to eat' gene and replaced it with 'let's use what we've eaten' gene to keep what's curently working in good condition. Adherents say it's the only way to replace brain cells - which are not normally replaceable - as we know. ;)

I've no idea how reliable the following link is, but I remember reading that in starvation conditions women become more fertile - tragically.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80bea ... daughters/
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 2nd, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programme on Channel 5 tonight telling us how to do it.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 2nd, 2018, 5:27 pm

Tom Kerridge tomorrow too on BBC 2, he has lost nearly half his bodyweight
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 2nd, 2018, 5:29 pm

With Dopamine diet, everything that’s supposed to be bad for us!
dennispc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 2nd, 2018, 5:30 pm

StokeySue wrote:Tom Kerridge tomorrow too on BBC 2, he has lost nearly half his bodyweight

I will highlight that in my Radio Times now. It is amazing how much he has shrunk isn't it? :kneel:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 3rd, 2018, 10:55 am

Plenty of programmes on the tv in the next couple of days devoted to dieting ... I will be tuning in to every one ! 8-) :chops: :scared:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 3rd, 2018, 11:36 am

When it comes down to basics, it’s just:

(mass in) - (mass out) = weight change

All the rest incidental. It’s making sure you don’t die while doing it, and being fit and healthy at the end.

If you want to lose weight. Eat less. Burn more off.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Annie » January 3rd, 2018, 1:08 pm

I went back to Slimming World in November.
7-8 years ago I lost over 10st with them and under medical suervision while I did it. Since then I've put on about 2 st plus I could do with losing a bit more too.
Ive tried the 5:2 which worked well for my health but not for my weight so it was back to SW. I've lost 11.5lbs and only gained 1.5 over Christmas.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 3rd, 2018, 1:17 pm

When I do a lot of cooking I just don't eat. I might taste but only a few atoms each time. I've lots about 3 kgs in the same number of weeks. I never ever weigh myself I just know from my trouser waist bands.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 3rd, 2018, 5:30 pm

I weighed myself this morning, and I was just 2lbs heavier than before Christmas. Phew! Would still like to lose some weight. I feel more uncomfortable than I used to do at this weight. Different distribution of fat? Or I've shrunk (heightwise)?!

Rats I am the same re cooking and eating. Clearly I should cook more, although not sure that it works when it's just me I am cooking for :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Annie » January 3rd, 2018, 6:19 pm

There's just me here these days and I like to cook only a 2 portion meal rather than batch cook. If I batch cook I end up with a freezer full as I like to have a lot of meals fresh.
I'm I can freeze 1 portion or keep whatever it is, in the fridge to put with something else to change it about a little later in the week. For example savoury mince with dumpling one night and cottage pie 2 days later.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 3rd, 2018, 10:47 pm

I usually cook one or two meals in one go when I cook. I suppose though that my rather flippant point was that although I lose my appetite while cooking, I am more inclined to eat what I've cooked in spite of this if I am only cooking it for me, otherwise there's not much point in cooking (it feels.) I ate fvery little on Christmas day because I had two others to cook for, so I felt no obligation to eat much.

I need to pull my socks up. Last night was spiced and smoked up baked beans with cheese, and tonight was a tin of Amy's Kitchen vegetarian chilli (also 'doctored') with cheese (it's actually very nice... :? ) :o Today's excuse was that it was my first day back at work and very little sleep last night, but I can't keep up the canned food diet! I shall make myself make something tomorrow.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » January 7th, 2018, 6:22 pm

i plan to lose a kilo by the 14th.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2018, 10:00 am

Did anyone watch the Tom Kerridge programme? Really much the same approach as the Hairy Dieters but with the professional experts less prominent. Might be a few good recipes in there, I'll certainly try baking the mince. No mention of dopamine so far!

I bravely weighed myself this morning knowing I'd put on some, all, or posiibly more of the weight I lost a couple of years back. Relieved after all those mini stollen to find I've not quite put it all back on. Action needed though!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 9th, 2018, 10:09 am

I watched Tom Kerridge; I was pleased he mentioned the psychological barriers to losing weight, but suspect they won't get the prominence they need in what is essentially a food programme. Interesting recipes - I might try the muffins, although in general I don't like artificial sweeteners.

The C4 programme, How to Lose Weight Well, was interesting. All the diets chosen worked for the period they were used (maximum 4 months for two of the six diets looked at) but it would be interesting to look at whether weight stayed off once the diet period was over. I suspect the thought of weight gain or loss being shown on national TV made some people stick to diets they might otherwise have given up on - one was so low calorie it could only be repeated every two years!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 9th, 2018, 10:28 am

Yes, I watched Tom Kerridge and thought I would try the muffins, until he added artificial sweetener :sprout: ... Also dismayed as the recipes are all for at least 4 people :( His volunteers had atrocious diets before they started though, so no wonder they are managing to lose weight (apart from one who may have got the wrong idea about portions )
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » January 9th, 2018, 10:31 am

the trouble with all of those more short term diets is that most are unsustainable on a behavioural level. people will revert to their normal diet unless they've found a substitute that they like more than the accustomed food (or their stomachs have shrunk!).
our normal diet is quite good - so i'm just eating less of it - as befits someone of '39 and holding'.
scullion
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 9th, 2018, 10:36 am

I weighed myself yesterday and was surprised to see I only put on 1lb over Christmas :bounce: :bounce:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 10th, 2018, 3:40 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:His volunteers had atrocious diets before they started though, so no wonder they are managing to lose weight

Exactly. :tu:
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 10th, 2018, 4:07 pm

dennispc wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:His volunteers had atrocious diets before they started though, so no wonder they are managing to lose weight

Exactly. :tu:

And the same seems to be true of all the diet programmes recently on tv ... 'How to lose weight well' is another example - whatever diet is recommended for the volunteers, they, without exception will already have the crappiest diets .. However, I did like the look of 'The Bonus Years' diet that was featured this week .. ;) It involves a daily glass of red wine and very dark quality chocolate. :tu: .. the volunteer on that diet lost about 1.5 stone in 6 weeks ! :bounce:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 15th, 2018, 9:17 am

Suelle wrote:I watched Tom Kerridge; I was pleased he mentioned the psychological barriers to losing weight, but suspect they won't get the prominence they need in what is essentially a food programme. Interesting recipes - I might try the muffins, although in general I don't like artificial sweeteners.

Tom's muffins were awful! There was flavour from the sesame oil, in the first mouthful, but that faded to blandness very quickly. I couldn't taste the spices at all, although I could smell them. They were stodgy, and really stuck fast to the paper cases; so much so that a lot of the muffin was wasted - perhaps that's what made them lower calorie! :lol:

They were touted as 'lower calorie' than a standard muffin, but the calorie counted muffins I could find online were lower in calories than these - perhaps those were 'healthy' muffins too. Anything with fresh fruit in tends to get put in the 'healthy' category.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » January 15th, 2018, 11:33 am

when he was making the muffins i was thinking that they didn't come over as particularly low calorie, although they did look interesting.
thanks for taking the fall, i won't bother now.
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 15th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Suelle wrote:They were touted as 'lower calorie' than a standard muffin, but the calorie counted muffins I could find online were lower in calories than these - perhaps those were 'healthy' muffins too. Anything with fresh fruit in tends to get put in the 'healthy' category.

I often find that when you look at the calories content of so called lower calorie recipes, they are in fact higher in calorie than a normal recipe.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 17th, 2018, 4:51 pm

This is quite interesting - when to eat carbs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42705852
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 17th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Interesting though Dr Mosley needs an editor
particularly in the form of sugary treats such as white bread, rice or pasta,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 17th, 2018, 7:27 pm

Where would you advise Trump to go to looe a few(!) pounds ??
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » January 17th, 2018, 8:27 pm

anywhere without a macdonalds or, to kill two birds with one stone, the island previously inhabited by robinson crusoe.
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 17th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Where would you advise Trump to go to looe a few(!) pounds ??

Bottom of a lake
Catherine
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 18th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Jay Rayner on diets, from next Sunday’s OFM. ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... d-on-diets
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » February 6th, 2018, 4:57 pm

After much nagging about my baggy bum in jeans I have bitten the bullet and ordered a new pair, they have just arrived, 2 sizes smaller and they fit! It's a fast day today so it makes being hungry really worthwhile :D :D I havent fitted into this size for about 10 years.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 6th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Chinch! :hi5:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 6th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Nice one Chinch!! :tu: :kneel:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 6th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Chinch :kneel:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby mogatogs » February 6th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Fantastic Chinch :kneel: :kneel:

Spoke to my consultant re losing weight, due to steroids, to be told ' my dear I think your well being is more important than being a size 10' condescending b*****d :evil:

So very jealous, looking at SW and WW tentatively :hug: :hug:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby Catherine » February 6th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Chinchilla_lady wrote:After much nagging about my baggy bum in jeans I have bitten the bullet and ordered a new pair, they have just arrived, 2 sizes smaller and they fit! It's a fast day today so it makes being hungry really worthwhile :D :D I havent fitted into this size for about 10 years.

Nice one. What a great feeling and a much better indicator or progress than what the scales say because weight fluctuates so much. Well done you
Catherine
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 6th, 2018, 7:12 pm

mogatogs wrote:Spoke to my consultant re losing weight, due to steroids, to be told ' my dear I think your well being is more important than being a size 10' condescending b*****d

Can I join the queue to slap him Mogs? And then join the back of the queue so I can have another turn? ;) :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby mogatogs » February 6th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Of course you can, but, there is a very long queue :lol: :hug: :hug:
mogatogs
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop