WHAT?????

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

WHAT?????

Postby Grasshopper » October 12th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Found this on the BBC News website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41579683

Well, WE don't have a 'one gift rule' - not even for the mogs ;)

Maybe when we were small, perhaps, and only had the money for one present per family member - but not now ;)

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Re: WHAT?????

Postby earthmaiden » October 12th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Having seen how much people overstretch themselves by giving children rubbish at Christmas I have no problem with this really. When I was a child (and my children) there was one present from each relative, sometimes something from kind family friends and a few small bits from Santa in a stocking in the morning. Grown ups exchanged one present each. That seems about right to me to keep financial and mental sanity over the festive season. I would happily do without 'secret Santas' too :evil:

Christmas can be so much more than presents.
Last edited by earthmaiden on October 12th, 2017, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 12th, 2017, 7:22 pm

I absolutely agree with this, and did impose a one gift rule when my son was young. As an only grandchild (at the time) for both families the temptation to spoil was overwhelming ( especially for one grandma).

Did it harm him.......no. I hope that he was thankful for what he was given, he certainly sent pictures as thank you s and notes/letters when he was old enough.

I hate to see families getting into debt to provide a grotesque amount of presents for children that have so much already. My sisters children get so much at Christmas they don’t know who has given them what, it’s just a frenzy of opening presents, to be honest it upsets me.

Sorry Grassy, but I think that this 8s a good idea.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 12th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Totally agree with BB.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 12th, 2017, 7:37 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Christmas can be so much more than presents.

Well, yes, of course - Xmas isn't JUST about pressies and stuffing faces, etc. Maybe for a young child, one gift from each relative is plenty, but when we are older .......

:?
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 12th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Hmm. We actually don’t do adult presents much in this house.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 12th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Hmm. We actually don’t do adult presents much in this house.

Neither do I - I found it a bit too tricky to surprise myself. :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 12th, 2017, 8:53 pm

We have a £10 limit for the adults. It takes a lot of creative thinking and we have had some genuinely funny and useful presents.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby uschi » October 12th, 2017, 10:00 pm

I think it depends. If the child is showered with many large gifts, then maybe yes, but if it's several smaller ones, why not? Sometimes one gives a child a gift that it can't use straight away. In that case a small additional gift that the child can play with straight away is OK.
uschi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2017, 11:20 pm

It's not one present per child, but one present per giver to that child
A child with two parents and four grandparents can still expect three to six substantial gifts (depending on whether the grandparents / parents give in pairs or individually) plus a stocking and possibly a little tree present
That's probably enough new concepts for a small child to take in at once

What I hate are people not family who feel a compulsion to give everyone presents, when I'd really think a card and a hug would be sufficient. It's embarrassing in the first place, and the presents are usually awful things made solely to be given as gifts that wouldn't be allowed into my house if they didn't sneak in cloaked in wrapping paper.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 14th, 2017, 9:53 pm

I think it's all OTT these days....... Thankfully stopped it all decades ago.... swapping of fivers between Saudi and UK seemed pointless...... Those of us in the UK used to end up with a load of stuff destined for Ebay or charity shop... As you say Sue, a hug and some words are loads better. I don't see rellies often....... :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 15th, 2017, 6:56 am

I agree, one present from me per person is what I give and that's plenty.
As I don't have many presents to buy these days I send a donation to pay for someone to have a Christmas meal, a special day and a chance to improve their future ... Details on the Crisis at Christmas website.

Edited to add link ... just in case anyone's interested ... https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/ ... christmas/
Last edited by suffolk on October 15th, 2017, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 15th, 2017, 9:16 am

We too decided many years ago that it was becoming silly and these days prefer to contibute to a family gift of something the person really needs/wants and probably wouldn't buy themselves. For example for GD's 17th birthday we clubbed together with her great-aunt and her uncle to buy her a full course of driving lessons and we put the voucher inside a box of Hotel chocolate chocolates,

I buy the children next door small gifts because their parents do a lot to help us and always refuse payments.
We do have stockings, all of us at Christmas but the rule there is only one person from each person and a strict price limit.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop