Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Postby StokeySue » November 17th, 2017, 10:47 am

Yes Icey, enjoy your day of rest!

National hummus making day it seems
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 17th, 2017, 11:11 am

Ratatouille wrote:Moira glad you managed to see the programme. We really are fancying a trip to see for ourselves if we could work out a sensible route.

Try the Ryan Air site, they have a lot of flights into Paphos and Larnaca.

Rather depleted numbers at Mah Jong, this morning, people had hospital appointments not to mention visitors. Pissouri Bay is beginning to close down for the winter, most of the small boats for hire have gone, some of the tavernas have notices advising that they will be closing next weekend. It was nice down in the Bay this morning, there were still enough people around to stop it from being deserted but no traffic problems.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 17th, 2017, 1:07 pm

I have done my stint in the garden, now I have to make parmesan and rosemary shortbreads, some for us some as a hostess gift for this evening. Oven has been cleaned, Mr. Z is having 11 sies @ 1pm. Lunch will be late.... :rolleyes:

I have sorted out the bird feeding area, and refreshed fat balls and grain, I have already had interest from a Robin.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 17th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Afternoon all! :wave: . Wildies all seem busy with very different things as usual!

Night shift tonight, didn't get to sleep for ages last night as there were a few things on my mind. I'll be kn***ered by tomorrow morning. :rolleyes: I'm going to laze with the latest Waitrose magazine which I picked up this morning in a minute and try and have a power nap.

SW was interesting this morning. The leader had laid out a 'virtual buffet' with pictures of the usual beige buffet items stuck onto paper plates. We were all given a paper plate and had to select what we would like (items and quantities) and write it on our plate. Then we went through the items to see how much we would each have consumed and what alternative choices we could have made. We all know how calorific that kind of thing can be, but even so it was a bit of an eye opener as some of the things I thought would be bad weren't really and vice versa. I went on to a friend's charity coffee morning afterwards and managed to say no to some of the items (such as mini mince pies) that we had just been looking at! The coffee morning was worth going to as I met the OH of someone I have known for sometime and a friend and I had been dying to know what he might be like :lol:.

:hug: :hug: to all, especially those having a bad day, going through worrying times or tentatively treading towards pastures new.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » November 17th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Afternoon All

Sounds like lots of Wildies need a few :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Hope things look up for everyone soon.

Cattery Crimbo Fair tomorrow, I have been cooking all week, house smells calorific :lol: , I am totally Cream Crackered now.

Suffs, that paella looks divine, but I'm glad we didint come, cant do mussels anymore (same reaction as you have with oysters)

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 17th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Chinchilla_lady wrote:Suffs, that paella looks divine, but I'm glad we didint come, cant do mussels anymore (same reaction as you have with oysters)

Oh no! I couldn't bear that :cry:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 17th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Chinch - well cooked ! I have just baked rosemary and parmesan (with a bit of saginaki) shortbreads, they did spread a tad but are recognisable as 'biscuits' and are deliciously 'crumbly'. Hope the CCF goes well tomorrow, my thoughts will be with you...

Very Very late lunch of left overs/odds and sods.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » November 17th, 2017, 5:55 pm

beach 5pm.JPG

an hour ago.
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 17th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Good evening everyone,

Beautiful picture scullion :D

Yikes re the buffet calories EM - it's scary how small "beige" bites can be so laden :o

There have been the most spectacular sleet showers this afternoon, almost thundery in their intensity. Thankfully I managed to avoid getting drenched. I'm pleased as always with my hair cut, it always gives me a lift and at least this time there wasn't so much hair to come off :)
Hummus for tomorrow has been made so just need to wrap pressies in the morning.
I got the biggest sweet potato I think I've ever seen in my shopping so I'll be making a bit tray of wedges later and will freeze those I don't scoff. I love these so will need to be disciplined ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 17th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Evening all!
I had my job centre appointment today. As I entered the offices, so did a very irate man, throwing his weight around in anger. I burst into tears as he seemed to be volatile and I had to be seated away from the security guard action. Luckily, my work coach was understanding enough to keep our meeting brief. I told her, this is the most stressful thing I have ever had to go through, then she gave me excellent news...my fortnightly appointments are now weekly. Great...not. On the way back to the bus stop i visited the indoor market and purchased some red and yellow peppers, also a load of Scotch bonnet chillies. When I got off the bus with the hump and my goodies, my poorly neighbour and his daughter were just leaving, having picked up a few of his belongings. He looked so well! He'll probably be kept in for another week or so. I'm so pleased he is doing okay. This time two weeks ago he was literally on death's door....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 17th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Lovely picture Scully.

Tezza that sounds awful hope you feel better now.

My Ocado and lakeland deliveries arrived at about 4.00 o'clock :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: paul went through some not very nice weather further north but said our lovely sunshine cheered them both up a lot.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 17th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Scully 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 17th, 2017, 9:54 pm

sadly the blue bar shut at five so we didn't get a coffee (the beach café had shut earlier) - but we did get a short walk - very short as it was a tad chilly.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 17th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Night night all ..... Sweet dreams ......
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 18th, 2017, 6:39 am

Morning all,
I am up earlier than I was hoping, but then I did fall asleep quite early too. I find myself mainly falling asleep with the TV on, the pitfalls of living in a bedsit, and waking up to the theme tune to Golden Balls. I am slightly addicted to it but at the same time find it incredibly irritating!
Not really much planned for today as my day at the job centre yesterday has pretty much taken it out of me!
I hope you all have a lovely day!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 18th, 2017, 6:59 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have just dropped half a jar of instant coffee everywhere. I think that it has all been swept or mopped up. I think that I can still see some granules lurking at the back of the shelf.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 18th, 2017, 7:25 am

Morning, no frost today, we got home from 6.30pm drinkies at 12.45 :shock:. A very enjoyable evening with some lovely home prepped food. Took some of my HM parmesan and rosemary shortbreads together with a cutting from my umbrella plant that had reached the ceiling in the bedroom. We put the world to rights and it was good to meet some new people in the village.

Going here today, http://www.bathandwestshowground.com/ev ... -show-2017 with some ideas hopefully for our upcoming project. We got FREE tickets and it should take an hour to get to the show, quite looking forward to it.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby jrc » November 18th, 2017, 10:06 am

Morning all :hug: it would have been my dad’s birthday today. :(

Woke up to no heating or hot water. Thankfully, Bob has just restarted the boiler. :D

Pottering around today. Nothing particular on today’s agenda. Bob still has a cold. :?

Hope everyone is ok. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 18th, 2017, 10:10 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It was -3 on the way to the market this morning. We are paying for the summer heat, but as we were saying to a French friend we still haven't had a drop of rain and these are usually the wettest few weeks of the year. Indeed the first time we came down to the house in the autumn half the town was flooded and there were JCBs on the bridges scopping out tree trunks as they came down river to keep the arches clear.

Hope you and Mr Zosh have a fud, productive and inspirational day zosh.

DD is taking GS to cardif today to an information day for would-be vets. i believe there is a rugby match involved somwhere too.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 18th, 2017, 10:49 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

No frost today, but blue skies, sunshine and still chilly ... quite windy too ... a couple of blackbirds are stripping the berries from the tall variegated holly across the road and another is splashing in the birdbath in the back garden :D

OH is at work and Father Christmas is arriving at the garden centre today so it will be total chaos in the car park ... I did my shopping yesterday :tu: . After today OH will be at home for ten days as he has some A/L to use up ... he's said he'll do some odd jobs inside and out so a list will be made ........... ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 18th, 2017, 10:53 am

Ratatouille wrote:DD is taking GS to cardif today to an information day for would-be vets. i believe there is a rugby match involved somwhere too

I thought that rugby was compulsory if are visiting Cardiff on a Saturday :lol:

I am going to cook a small gammon joint this afternoon. Deb was trimming the bay tree so has saved me a small branch of bay leaves for the stock, I shall only use a couple of leaves, the rest will have to be hung up until I need them. Then I must get on the kitchen steps to check whether I have a jar of dried haricot beans at the back of a cupboard then use them to make a bean salad for lunch tomorrow.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 18th, 2017, 11:05 am

Wouldn't really know Moira as I am neither Welsh nor a rugby fan!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 18th, 2017, 11:45 am

Good morning
When I was at UCL it was reckoned that St Mary's medical school had the best rugby team, because it is next to Paddington station where the Welsh students get off the strain Actually we beat them :D Vet is very competitive, good lock if he does go into it, lots of interesting specialities as well as the obvious small animal and agricultural stuff.
Will walk down to the shops soon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 18th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Pouring with rain but will go out anyway
Just screamed at my email saying "your parcel has been successfully delivered" - first I'd heard of it
Opened door in a rage and it fell on my feet, having been carefully placed in the porch in the dry, I must have not heard the knock, but the Hermes guy knows the layout here, crisis averted

Other good thing - I decided to have smoked haddock for brunch to use up the last of some that was OK but not exciting, When I opened the freezer that batch had already been finished and replaced with a bag of premium smoked haddock loins. Yum! :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 18th, 2017, 3:28 pm

StokeySue wrote: premium smoked haddock loins. Yum

Deep envy, one thing that we cannot get here is smoked haddock. It was available at one time but the chap who imported it went out of business.
On the other hand we do have new seasons strawberries, usually they do not appear until after Christmas but we have had several weeks of sunny, warm weather. What is more Pasta Farm have not but up their prices.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 18th, 2017, 3:31 pm

A quick :wave: . Really grotty day outside, Suffs and I are on a different planet I think :lol:. Not sorry to have been asleep all morning and some of the afternoon too.

Have caught up with all the goings on. I was interested to hear on the radio (when I was half asleep) that some who receive Universal Credit will struggle this month as they are paid for 4 week months and this month is a 5 week so they will lose out on a whole week unless they apply. Words fail me that in 2017 there isn't a system that recognises the number of weeks in a year ... but I hope that anyone here who falls into the category knows that they need to highlight it in order to have a glimmer of a chance of getting some money. So sorry Tezza to read of your nasty experience at the Job Centre. I marvel at anyone who works in any kind of benefit or housing office, it must be soul destroying dealing with hoards of desperate people that you know you probably can't help very much :(.

I was only thinking of smoked haddock the other day ..... :chops: :chops:.

Time to get into the shower and get ready to set off for the night ... someone left chocolate biscuits last night, I wonder why they are quite so tempting. If someone brought a bowl of tripe to celebrate a birthday it wouldn't have the same effect at all. :lol:

Hope you're all having a cosy weekend. :hug: :hug: :mug: :mug: :cocktail: :cocktail:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 18th, 2017, 3:48 pm

earthmaiden wrote:A quick :wave: . Really grotty day outside, Suffs and I are on a different planet I think :lol:. Not sorry to have been asleep all morning and some of the afternoon too.

......... I was interested to hear on the radio (when I was half asleep) that some who receive Universal Credit will struggle this month as they are paid for 4 week months and this month is a 5 week so they will lose out on a whole week...............

If someone brought a bowl of tripe to celebrate a birthday it wouldn't have the same effect at all. :lol: :

You missed the blue sky and sunshine EM ... that was this morning ... not very nice here now :rolleyes:

As for the Universal Credit ......... it stinks of sheer stupidity and heads should roll :twisted: ....... the problem with this government is that they just cannot take on board that a lot of people have no savings and no family member with savings who can help them out .... it's totally outside their experience or imagination.

Tripe instead of chocolate biscuits????? Yes please :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :chops: :chops: :chops: :drool: :drool: :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 18th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Good afternoon everyone
Tripe :sprout: :sprout: , nope one of the few things I just can't eat.

Today has not gone to plan :x , I was supposed to be going to a birthday party this afternoon, but a nasty vertigo attack in the early hours put paid to that. :evil: I'm sort of back on my feet now so hoping it's a one off and not the prelude to a cluster of attacks. I will be being very careful for a few days and my sister is going to pop round tomorrow so there is someone here when I have a shower.

Dinner tonight is going to be an easy "here's one I made earlier" of beef olive casserole & root veg mash :) as it's blinking baltic here so a winter warmer is needed. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 18th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Sorry to here about the vertigo, and missing the party ltc, take care :hug:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 18th, 2017, 4:26 pm

StokeySue wrote:Sorry to here about the vertigo, and missing the party ltc, take care :hug:

Thank you - I'm feeling a tad frustrated but will get over myself :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 18th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Hello everyone!
I am watching Cake Wars and am astounded at how some people can come up with their such creative ideas!
Mum has just told me how much her broken molar is causing her such pain she can't eat well. I thought soup would be good but she says no. Not sure what else to suggest!
I shared my leek and potato soup with my neighbour earlier. He is in the same benefits boat as me and many others. Just dreading Universal kicking in as it will make it even harder for people already finding things hard.
I am looking forward to meeting my mate tomorrow, and will text my Neff in a minute, make sure he has dug out my CD's and work tribunal paperwork out for me. I am on a mission and my music will help! :evil:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm

M5 in Somerset, yesterday evening about 6.15pm. Local photographer posting on his FB page.

sunset.jpg
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 18th, 2017, 6:10 pm

We have just returned from Somerset, although no lovely skies like that Den. A very good day at the B&W show ground. It was meant to be a fact finding mission for ideas for the building project next Feb. It was the last show of the year and many companies were clearing down for next years new stock - there were some wonderful bargains to be had. We bargained for the world and bought our wood burning stove.....http://www.pyroclassic.co.uk will probably go for an earthy/orange one, (the colour panels can all be changed) as per your personal colour scheme.

This company do bespoke glass panels and we need a glass panel next to the front door for light and to see who is at the door but with a degree of privacy. This is the one we ended up with - another large reduction in price (they are not cheap!)http://houseofuglyfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/broughty-ferry-2.jpg

Stopped in Trowbridge and did a spot of shopping for essentials. Now home and knackered !

Feeling very glad not to have to be involved with UC and do feel for those who it will affect hugely..... Terrible lack of organisation
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 18th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Spectacular picture Dennis :D
Sounds like you had a productive day out Zosh
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 18th, 2017, 8:01 pm

I just had a lovely conversation with my Dad on the phone, talking about politics and stuff but also how, in the face of adversity, we are both very happy! I am bingeing on Dave; Lee Mack makes my belly hurt! He is, for me, the perfect comedian, along with Billy Connolly. Totally faultless and genius. I will switch to Casualty when it comes on, but that's rarely giggle material.
All in all a very good day here and looking forward to another one tomorrow after a snuggly-bug-in-a-ruggerly pyjama encased night! Just wish my cats were here. Trying to get that thought out of my mind but struggling at times. Now is when my Thomas would land on my head and Noah on my legs. Ah, happy memories. :luv:
Adding this because I miss my bears. How lovely is this?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-Nyt4Bmi8
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 19th, 2017, 7:08 am

Another early start... :rolleyes: Why do I wake up early when I don't need to and can't wake up when I need to !!!

Must sort my large DF today, due to Mr Z. I have totally lost track of what is in it.... need to get fishy ingredients out of it for lunch of paella later. Also need to freeze 2 packs of lamb mince that was reduced yesterday.

I would like to rub down my fireplace and try and remove the candle wax off it. Also need to rub down the table I bought at the auction.

How did the cattery crimbo fair go Chinch ??

Busy times !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 19th, 2017, 7:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. I rolled up the bedroom blind this morning and was surprised by a buzzard floating past :o , there are plenty of buzzards around but their usual territory is over by the Kouris Gorge.
The washing seems to have accumulated, I have ended up having to do two loads.
Dennis, your local photographer was very clever to make the M5 look romantic

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 19th, 2017, 9:08 am

Good Morning wild ones. It's a bit chilly here this morning. The dog didn't care, as long as she has a ball that is all that matters.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 19th, 2017, 9:42 am

Good morning
We have sun :o
I will go out soon, have a parcel to collect, and will then walk via a circuitous route (for exercise) to the vintage flea market, not looking for anything in particular but it's a destination and always fun
Have a good day everyone

ETA: I've been thinking that I could do with some trousers that are neither jeans nor pull on sports thingies. Drawing a blank, I want something reasonably smart. Will check M&S again but any other thoughts?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 19th, 2017, 10:03 am

Morning all,
Lovely and crisp here, no rain, yippee. I have to do the final touches (aka put my face on) before leaving to meet an old work mate for some lunch. We haven't seen each other in about six years, so catching up at one sitting will be virtually impossible but we'll have a go. I do feel a roast dinner coming on. There is, unfortunately, no roast dinner veggie option, just pasta with tomato sauce or the addition of prawns at a supplement. There could possibly be a specials board on top of their website Sunday menu. Fingers crossed as I can have pasta any day of the week and not sure that I want meat (no roast chicken as far as I can see, just beef, lamb, pork, game) although all the trimmings sound delicious. The venue is in the middle of the Bedfordshire countryside and I can't wait for a good chin(s) wag. We can normally gas bag for hours so will no doubt return home with complete and utter jaw ache. Whoohoo!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 19th, 2017, 10:04 am

Good morning everyone

-1C here this morning and feels like it, however the sun is shining so hopefully it will warm up a bit soon. :)

Thankfully I'm a bit steadier on my feet today, though I will be taking it gently. I've no idea about food will have my usual Sunday brunch and dinner will be something easy to put together. I really must put together a sort of meal plan as I'm falling back into deciding at the last minute what to have which limits my options if things need defrosting first. I'm trying not to batch cook as my freezer space is getting full with Christmas/New Year foods but I could do with some more "go to" meals if I have a wobbly day. I've a fair bit of curry in the freezer but seldom fancy anything spicy after an attack so might make some mince or stew to have on hand.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 19th, 2017, 10:16 am

StokeySue wrote:Good morning
We have sun :o
I will go out soon, have a parcel to collect, and will then walk via a circuitous route (for exercise) to the vintage flea market, not looking for anything in particular but it's a destination and always fun
Have a good day everyone

ETA: I've been thinking that I could do with some trousers that are neither jeans nor pull on sports thingies. Drawing a blank, I want something reasonably smart. Will check M&S again but any other thoughts?

Chinos? Both cotton traders and lands end are usually good.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 19th, 2017, 10:35 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Another bright and frosty morning ... Gt tits on the bird feeders for the first time this winter.
Dippy eggs and toastie soldiers eaten ... coffee brewing and the Archers are on ......

Edited to say: The Archers is or the Archers are :? :rolleyes: .............. I s'pose it's 'is' if you're thinking of a programme, or 'are' if you regard them as a group of 'real people' :lol: :oops:
Last edited by suffolk on November 19th, 2017, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 19th, 2017, 10:46 am

Chinos aren't quite hitting the mark, and I was thinking of something a bit more formal than Cotton Traders usually go for.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 19th, 2017, 10:55 am

M&S have hundreds ........ including something called 'Cracked leggings' :? ........... I suddenly feel very old ....... :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » November 19th, 2017, 11:24 am

Good Morning All

Zosherooney wrote:How did the cattery crimbo fair go Chinch ??

Thanks so much for asking, it was absolutely brilliant, I meant to take a pic of the stall fully loaded with the baked goodies and cards. We sold out of all the bakes, pickles and jams, and most of the cards. Waiting for the final total but we counted £145.00 in our tin at the end of the morning plus a further £75.00 from the sale of scones, sausage rolls and mince pies in the little tea room. All baked by me except for the veggie sausage rolls. No wonder I am totally CC'd today, and me feet dont half hurt.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 19th, 2017, 11:24 am

I just went through the M&S ones using filters
Once you eliminate leggings, jeans and jeggings, and also joggers, you aren't left with much, which kind of sums up the problem. I think.

I just want proper trousers!

I feel an hour of frustration in John Lewis coming in my direction :scared:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » November 19th, 2017, 11:27 am

Sue, M&Co (Mackays as was) arent usually too bad for style but not not the quality the you get from JL (or the price either)

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 19th, 2017, 12:06 pm

John Lewis will have lots, but have you tried looking at the suits in M£S? They sell the pieces separately and I have some formal grey woollen mix trousers that I used as part of a suit whilst at work that come in very handy minus the jacket in civvy street.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 19th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Wow Chinch ! you did very well, the wussers will be very pleased.

Sun is now out here, blue skies, DF sorted and logged, just need to update the listing on computer and print it out. Will try very hard to delete and add when necessary, trouble is, I am always in a hurry. :?
Zosherooney
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop