Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Postby suffolk » November 12th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Night night folks ........Zzzzzzzzzz
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 13th, 2017, 6:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have given in and changed my light summer quilt for a medium weight on. The big duvet will wait for January.
Suffs: it does seem odd that the police interviewed the owner first, given that she was unable to respond to the alarm.
I agree about Blue Planet, too much music

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 13th, 2017, 6:39 am

Morning all.
The feeling today is that it will be mild and dry. It is still black out there so am watching The Cube underneath my patchwork, planning meals for this week at the same time.
I have charged my Kindle but am having problems remembering my password! Ideally now I would rather not have a password, but cannot find a way of resetting or removing (have done a Google) so am a bit stuck! Any ideas? Mine isn't a new fangled Kindle, none of your fancy new models, I have had it about five years.
A lazy day for me!
Christmas is upon us - yippee!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 13th, 2017, 7:50 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. We have a hard frost this morning, the car was white, OH had to defrost it, he won't need to do that after this week :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 13th, 2017, 9:04 am

As a one time shop owners, whatever happened in the shop we were down there immediately. I think the Police will ask a lot of pointed questions as to why they didn't attend, particularly in the circumstances of shop closure, people losing their jobs etc.

Blue Planet sends us to sleep! DA's voice has become a bit mono tone, watching fish swimming around to music - simply soporific.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 9:16 am

The owners mobile phone was switched off so they didn't know about the break-in until the Sunday staff arrived to unlock and phoned the police and the owners landline. They did go to the shop for a short while after the phone call. They had no idea that we'd been called out in the night until OH rang the shop in the morning to check that all was ok.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 13th, 2017, 9:17 am

earthmaiden wrote:I hadn't realised that Blue Planet was on tonight, someone told me it was the last one last week. Something to look forward to tomorrow. I know what you mean about the music Sue, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Where have you been for the last few weeks EM ? ;) BBC has been advertising it constantly with DA's voiceover .. I am sure it is repeated sometime during the week. Re the music, I hadn't noticed it, I am too wrapped up in the watching of it in amazement and wonder :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 9:17 am

I've really not noticed the Blue Planet music either.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 13th, 2017, 9:25 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have charged my Kindle but am having problems remembering my password! Ideally now I would rather not have a password, but cannot find a way of resetting or removing (have done a Google) so am a bit stuck! Any ideas? Mine isn't a new fangled Kindle, none of your fancy new models, I have had it about five years.

I'm the same ... I have resurrected my kindle for my holiday in a couple of weeks ... however I can't remember how to work the thing .. and also can't remember what books I have listed have already been read (apart from Girl on the Train ) :aww: I didn't need a pass-word though, but probably will if I want to buy any more books .. :? :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 13th, 2017, 9:49 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Another diturbed night here too. We are on orange alert for vent violent - in other words the Mistral is having a good old blow. It is on these sort of days I am glad we don't live in Avignon. We also had two power cuts in the night. The electricccity goes on and off with a loud bang., then everything needs resetting afterwards.

Anyway the bed is changed and the bedclothes are washed and drying on the balcony which is sheltered though everything is well anchored and pegged down. though he happil

We don't notice the music on Blue Planet either, Jules does though, he hates it when it gets loud and threatening. He happily watches small fish swimming round though.I wonder what he will make of Jo Brand with her cats and kittens (Tuesday Ch 5).
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 13th, 2017, 9:50 am

Good morning
Sunny here, so inevitably I have to wait in for a boiler service and a delivery (my new bird feeder)
I gave up on Blue Planet last night, the music seemed to me more suited to Star Wars than to a documentary, and in consequence they have to over-amplify some of the sound effects.
Very sleepy this morning, slept quite a lot but woke up quite a lot too....
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 13th, 2017, 10:17 am

Good morning everyone,

The frost is beginning to lift and rain/sleet is coming in so it's still cold. I've got a thermal vest and thermal socks on so I'm nice and toasty and I put the heating on for a bit longer this morning. Breakfast will be the usual toast & fruit and lunch I think will be the soup I froze yesterday. I need to joint the chicken I have in the fridge (I took a leg off last night) and I'll cook the carcass for sandwich meat and then make stock. Tonight I have some keema mince to use up - I quite fancy trying it in a lasagne, is that what they call fusion food? :lol: :lol:

I've still not meal planned for the week so that can be on my "to do" for today as well as some admin. I might be adventurous and hoover as well. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 13th, 2017, 10:33 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:Where have you been for the last few weeks EM ? ;)

This week I have been working and sleeping. I saw the first two episodes. I have no idea what's been on TV for the past week .. will be looking at Catch Up to see what's there (when Virgin get it to work today!).

It seems extremely cold this morning. I am having a tidying up and shopping kind of day.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2017, 11:12 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have charged my Kindle but am having problems remembering my password! Ideally now I would rather not have a password, but cannot find a way of resetting or removing (have done a Google) so am a bit stuck! Any ideas? Mine isn't a new fangled Kindle, none of your fancy new models, I have had it about five years.
A lazy day for me!

hiya, i've had a look through the inbuilt manual on my (also old) kindle. it says that if you've forgotten your password you have to phone customer services and they'll talk you through the reset.
i also found, online, this https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Amazon_Kindle_First_Generation_Troubleshooting which also tells you how to reset your password on an old kindle (whether it's the same generation as yours i don't know).
sliding and holding the on button for thirty seconds is also meant to get into the kindle - i think that was what a friend did when his froze.

it says that reseting may lose some of your content.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2017, 11:14 am

the radio times has a few letters complaining about the level of the background music.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 11:19 am

scullion wrote:the radio times has a few letters complaining about the level of the background music.

We watch it in HD and have to turn the sound level up.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 13th, 2017, 11:26 am

Is anyone having trouble with the HD channels? On several occasions now we are finding the picture iand sound are breaking up and have to revert back to the standard channels.
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 11:54 am

No problem for us, but we're on Virgin Cable .... think there may sometimes be a problem with satellite-type connections. HD obviously takes a bit more 'ooomph' (technical term ;) ).
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 13th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Afternoon all, just back from my other house. Mr. Z. is doing a spot of hedge trimming. I have been to give a half armful of blood and should get the results Friday avo. :? :?

Contemplating lunch out somewhere but Monday is an alcohol free day for Mr. Z. (mine is still consistent ATM). My fave place is doing a price fixe for 2 courses...... am I tempted ??? Oh Bum !!!! they are not doing it today.... but the menu is making me salivate, I lurve guinea fowl....... but never tried abalone ???? http://www.redlionfreehouse.com/today-menu
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 12:20 pm

You're pushing the boat out for a Monday Zosh ........ I'm having sardines on toast :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2017, 12:27 pm

i'm having a fast day - or should that be a slow day‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 13th, 2017, 12:56 pm

We have a strong wind here too, with desert dust forecast. Lovely :rolleyes: The sea has disappeared, this means that dust is on its way, I must get the washing in.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 13th, 2017, 1:07 pm

We can rarely get HD but, as we are not supposed to get UK TV, fair enough, If we find any sound track overly invasive we turn off the sound and put on the subtitles

The wind is really quite frightening now but it was so dry all my washing is in , folded and put away.

Zosh hope you find lunch somewhere. Just about everything is closed here on Mondays.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 13th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Mr R Has just come back from the PO because we had a birthday present to post but on the way, taking a short cut, a tree blew down right in front of him. he managed to stop but it missed him by inches , or should I say cms. He had to do a 300 point (!)turn and go the long way round. Got to the PO nd had just put the parcel on the scales when there was yet another power cut so the parcel couldn't be weighed - no such things as manual ones avaialble ! Then the power came back on again and all the alarms went off. The scales came on but the computers had cut out completely so the cost couldn't be worked out. He and his parcel have had to retreat and the PO is closed tomorrow!

Next, he arrives at the pharmacy to pick up my rpescription. Off goes the power again and they were all locked in as the doors are automatic !t took 10 minutes to come back on as let everyone escape. And the moral of this story is ............ never try to do anything when the Mistral blows as hard as this.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 3:00 pm

:shock: Oh Rats!!! So glad he's ok tho' ......... it could've been much worse. :hug:

One of the things about living here on the edge of Norwich is that we just don't get the power cuts because of trees falling in storms etc that we used to get when I lived in a more rural area .............. I still keep torches, batteries and candles close to hand tho' ... you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2017, 3:08 pm

sure he didn't just stop for a quick half or two in the local bar and forget the errands?
scullion
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 13th, 2017, 3:08 pm

By the heck it is going cold again.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 13th, 2017, 3:23 pm

A few years ago, I rented a holiday cottage in Achiltibuie - on Scotland's NW coast. It was an area which experienced frequent power cuts. There was just one shop - it was really quite small. It seemd to me that there was just one of everything on the shelves - there was a surprisingly large range - and I strongly felt that no sooner had you bought something, it would be replaced from stock as soon as you left. The thing that did strike me, was a large collection of batteries in full view right by the door - I imagine they sold quite a lot of those.
Gruney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm

We have candles and matches handy, you never know what will happen to the power around here. Which reminds must buy one of those little camping stoves so that we can boil water.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 13th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Time to pack up, see you all tomorrow. Although I have the lady who is taking my job coming tomorrow so I might have to hide you all ;) Bye :wave: :wave:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 13th, 2017, 4:25 pm

We'll hide in the desk drawer Ice ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 13th, 2017, 4:32 pm

scullion wrote:
A lazy day for me!

hiya, i've had a look through the inbuilt manual on my (also old) kindle. it says that if you've forgotten your password you have to phone customer services and they'll talk you through the reset.
i also found, online, this https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Amazon_Kindle_First_Generation_Troubleshooting which also tells you how to reset your password on an old kindle (whether it's the same generation as yours i don't know).
sliding and holding the on button for thirty seconds is also meant to get into the kindle - i think that was what a friend did when his froze.

it says that reseting may lose some of your content.

Thanks for this, I shall have a look at this after The Chase and dinner. I don't mind if I lose content. Most of what's on there I have either read or have forgotten about, in other words, of no value right now! I'd like to start afresh with new material.
I had lunch with my Mum today then did a mini shop, and amongst the fresh fruit and veg which I craved, I sneaked a box of Christmas cards, which are now written out and ready for posting, also a string of white star shaped fairy lights which I have hung across the top of my kitchen and shower room doors. They look very 'Santa's grotto'. There was a moment whilst up my step ladder that the lights got tangled with my bead curtain but somehow I managed to de-tangle without toppling.
I have some cooked chicken and cabbage that could do with being used up this evening. I might do roasties and gravy. I felt hungry at 3pm but trying to hold out as long as possible. I can over-scoff this time of year!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 13th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Mr. Z. was so engrossed in hedge trimming that I had not the heart to stop him ! Yes, almost everywhere is shut today so we had a kebab lamb chapati and half a cup of hot and sour soup each @ home, more of a main meal so it will be tapas this evening around the fire, think I will make some savoury scones as hovis sliced bread won't really go with tapas. Will drag my remoska out to cook them in, have not used it for a while.

Rats. Glad to hear Mr. Rats is ok but your description of PO and bank did make me giggle.

Fire is lit and Griggia is out checking that the garden is still there!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 13th, 2017, 5:45 pm

The joys of power cuts
I always have a torch handy, as even a bulb bloing can be a bit of an issue for me

Glad to hear Mr R is OK
We do get the very occasional power cut here, they are very tightly defined presumably by the sub station that goes down, the last time we had a major one my block was dark, the pub 250 metres away had full power, so I went and drank wine & read my Kindle and the nice young bar staff made a mild fuss of me until we saw the lights come on over the road
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 13th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Me too Rats! :lol: It's amazing how much disruption the Mistral can cause isn't it? I had no idea....

I'm getting over a tummy upset (either a bug or something I ate). Felt pants all day yesterday. Better in myself today but tummy is very sensitive- feels like I've pulled all the muscles.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 13th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I think the power cut experience that Rats had shows in quite a horrific way just how much we depend on electricity ... you can't even get through a door :twisted: :twisted:. I really do wonder how many electrically operated things are totally necessary for the able-bodied.

Hope you feel better soon Seatallen :hug:.

Sounds like a lovely haul from the shops Tezza!

I have been to Sainsburys, done boring cleaning, sorted through the heap of junk mail from last week and watched a couple of TV programmes I found from last week. Each night last week there was a 30 min programme called 'Turning Points - unscripted' with a 30 min lecture going through the turning points in politics in the last 60 years or so. So many things that were huge at the time had completely slipped my mind, I found them quite fascinating. I have watched two and will watch the rest later. I was only saying the other day that I wondered how the times we had lived through were being portrayed to young history students. There seem to have been quite a few good programmes on last week, not sure I will ever catch up!

Your scones sound wonderful Zosh, I am on a strict diet this week ... :(
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 13th, 2017, 7:40 pm

scullion wrote:sure he didn't just stop for a quick half or two in the local bar and forget the errands?

Scully the electric pumps would hav been down , though he could have had a bottled beer I suppose :evil:

As you said Suffs once you have lived in a rural area it is in your blood and we lived without mains electricity or 6 years We have candles, lighters, batteries and torches in every room.

It has calmed down a bit and we have had no further power cuts since about 4.00pm However, I have discovered just now he didn't have his mobile with him, which is not at all unusual but I do wish he would remember. It could have been a life saver.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Amber » November 13th, 2017, 11:21 pm

That mistral sounds very scary Rats, hope it lessens tomorrow. We’ve had several ‘power cuts’ here too....it appears my oven has broken and keeps tripping the main fuse. After struggling with the small weak torch that lives on top of the fuse box, we eventually remembered we both have iPhones.....complete with built in flash-lights :oops: :rolleyes: :D .

I have been away for a few days, and discovered my new favourite pizza topping - pickled onion :shock: . It’s delicious and apparently very Italian. Borettane onions in balsamic. Lovely. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 14th, 2017, 12:15 am

We encountered the Mistral many years ago. We were on our way to Naples and had an overnight stop at Bolléne, near Avignon. We had trouble getting out of the car! The wind was strong and constant with no gusting at all. Quite scary with things blowing about in it.

Worth the experience to know what it's like, but not something I'd want to repeat.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » November 14th, 2017, 6:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, another heavy dew last night.
I must summon up some enthusiasm to do the routine shopping

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 14th, 2017, 6:58 am

Morning Moira and other Wildies.....

A damp and grey one today, I need to order heating oil today, I need to check if we still have a syndicate in the village, we only order about 600 litres a year but I do like to make savings where I can !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 14th, 2017, 7:16 am

Morning all,
A few rain spots on the window this morning but temperature wise, quite mild. I just remembered, I need to order some window bird feeders! I also have to wheel the bins out at some point. We have a communal area of four black and four green and they have to be wheeled right up to the kerb otherwise they don't get emptied. I try to educate neighbours old and new about this but it doesn't seem to sink in, so I tend to get stuck with the task. I'd rather do it myself than find a rat infestation, which has, so I have been told, happened in the past.
My downstairs neighbour brought me up some roast potatoes last night. Yum! I have just washed up his plate and left it by his front door with a post it note saying thanks, and expect a portion of my veggie chilli later. I have onions, carrots, mushrooms, cumin, smoked paprika, kidney beans, tomatoes, chilli flakes, veggie mince and fresh coriander. I need to pop out later for celery and broccoli. They can be found just across the road. I will do basmati with it. I will pump up the volume on my portions with shop bought green chilli sauce as I found out neighbour doesn't do the serious heat that I love! :chops:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 14th, 2017, 8:07 am

Good morning all. :D :mug:
There's a yellow OFO bike parked on the pavement outside. They're new here - it's the first time I've seen one. You can unlock and pay to hire them via an app and leave them anywhere in the city when you 've finished your journey.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 14th, 2017, 8:39 am

Good morning
Grey and grizzly here
It was lovely yesterday and I was itching to get outside, but I was waiting in for a gas engineer and a delivery, neither of which turned up
I eventually double checked on the booking website, and discovered that it claimed that the engineer had been here and been unable to gain access, a blatant lie. I had a missed phone call just before the start of the booking period, he rang off before I could get my rubber gloves off to answer it, number withheld, no voicemail, nio repeat call
Lord knows what happened to the parcel (my bird feeder and pole). It seems to have come from Rugby to Enfield and then got stuck. I had to order from the Range as it was the only reasonably priced tall hook I could source, most are shorter intended for hanging solar lanterns
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Will be preparing for cookbook club later, the theme is Ina Garten so I'm making a courgette and goat's cheese tart that is supposed to be 11 inches in diameter. Got my biggest Tupperware cake box out last night to clean it and checked the size. It won't fit, so I'll make a 9.75 inch square which will fit very neatly; both have surface area of 95 sq in

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 14th, 2017, 8:53 am

Morning all!

They do say that those bikes end up in some odd places (I don't mean that you live in an odd place, just that I don't imagine it would be a popular return place) I wonder if the user will use it for a return journey. I like the idea in principle.

I am so glad we rarely get extremes of weather here.

It seems a bit dark this morning but I am nice and warm as GD is coming for the day so I have put the heating on. We are going through the potty training battle at the moment which means it is easier if she just runs round with the minimum on her lower half but I find it hard to get the house warm enough for that - and of course she has the obligatory cough and cold contracted now she goes to a playgroup :rolleyes: . We may go out on the bus today, there is a local outlet shopping village where there are things to do and several lunch options and it would be warmer than the park.

Mmm, roast potatoes .. I watched Nigella this morning .. hers looked so delicious.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 14th, 2017, 9:21 am

Good Morning Wild ones. It is raining but at least it is a bit warmer than yesterday. I might not be around today as I am supposed to be handing over to my replacement.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 14th, 2017, 9:44 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Glad to say that by the time we went to bed last night the wind had died down and done a 180 turn! So only a one dayer. They come in 3 6 and 9 days otherwise and anything from a 3 dayer upwards is counted as a mitigating circumstance for murder and other "crimes of passion". Mr R always says he'll wait for a full 6 days before he bumps me off, just to make sure! It is beautiful this morningand jules is taking the sun on the balcony table. We grumle about the Mistral but honestly it is part of living here and d it is the extremes we love, weather, food, wine, scenery, and of course the people. never ever boring.

We have just sorteed both frdges as it is shopping day tomorrow and I hate having a chaotic fridge when I need to unpack the bags.

Hope packages and people turn up today. have a good one !
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 14th, 2017, 9:50 am

The OFO bike has gone. I presume whoever left it (at the foot of The Rise) last night has now walked back down the hill and is now riding it back to work or Uni. Apparently Norwich is only the fourth place in the UK to have OFO bikes ... I presume it's because everyone thinks Norwich is flat (it isn't ... it's actually quite hilly ... terminal moraine and all that) and because Norwich City Council has spent/is still spending an absolute fortune on cycle paths ... many of which don't work as planned as the planners didn't realise that trees have roots

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/sh ... -1-4158963
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 14th, 2017, 10:08 am

Back from Lysiotis, our excellent local supermarket, as I mentioned last week they are improving the shop. My last remark to Deb as I left was " I wonder what they have done to Lysiotis this time". When I got there they had excelled themselves, three aisles of shelving have been removed and the shop fitters were busy, the refrigeration engineers were there too. I had to go to the back of the shop for eggs, I do hope that they use the opportunity to put them in a more sensible place and found a little suite of offices at the back. Unfortunately I could not find a member of the family to ask what the plans are.

I passed the strawberry farm on my home, they have strawberries for sale, I did not succumb

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 14th, 2017, 11:33 am

Good morning everyone,
What a difference in the weather today :) , it's a bit damp but oh so much milder we might get to 10C today!
I've three lots of different deliveries today, 2 are on time slots but the third could be anytime so I'm finding it hard to settle while waiting for it. I have marked on the delivery instructions that I'm slow to answer the door, but it is always noticed by the drivers and I don't want to miss getting it.
Last night I made a keema curry & spinach lasagne to use up some leftovers. It was really rather good and there is a bit left for my lunch :D .

I started a "project" yesterday, my Dad is really hard to buy pressies for so for Christmas I decided to make him a calendar with each month a promise of a meal I've made. I'm having a theme each month and I'm trying to find a poem/song/saying to represent it. That is proving harder than I thought......
liketocook
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop