Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Postby earthmaiden » January 9th, 2018, 8:12 pm

A quick :wave: :wave: . Been too busy at work today to notice the weather but there was only a bit of drizzle some of the way home.

Looks as though people are busy doing dreary January things ... so that their time will be free when summer comes! ;)

I have watched Only Connect and eaten supper and will be falling into bed quite soon. Looking forward to finally getting this room sorted out on Thursday. :bounce:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 9th, 2018, 10:23 pm

I love Only Connect, the best quiz show on TV at the moment IMO.

Well, our lovely odd job young man popped by tonight to bleed my radiators so I shall be snug as a bug tonight. You'd think being so cosy would send me off a treat, but it's so lovely I think I'll stay up for a bit to enjoy it!

Happy dreams all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 9th, 2018, 10:45 pm

I bleed my radiators if needs be, it takes a very small tool and a minute?????? no harm intended....but ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Settling down to bed with Muriel Spark (Radio4). OH has taken himself to the spare room as I am trying to sort my wiring out so that it stays under the pillow and I don't get strangled during the night :o
Sweet dreams folks ... Hopefully ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 10th, 2018, 12:23 am

Zosherooney wrote:I bleed my radiators if needs be, it takes a very small tool and a minute?????? no harm intended....but ?

Well done Zosh, but I have no tools and no permission from landlord to tamper with his plumbing or electrics even if I did have tools. I do know how to bleed a radiator though. Maybe one day I'll have my own radiators, but I am really in no rush!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 10th, 2018, 5:50 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, murky here this morning, no rain forecast, we do need it.
I have an early appointment this morning, it is for a pedicure, nothing serious, then off to LIDL. We do have an exciting time in Cyprus :o

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2018, 7:52 am

Morning all. Have swum and walked dogs. It is definitely a bit lighter out there. Hoorah! Just waiting for Ocado to deliver and then we are having a Nest fitted for the central heating later this morning. Who knew retirement would be this exciting?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 10th, 2018, 7:58 am

Good morning wild ones. We are back to rain :rolleyes: at least the temperature has gone up. Not sure what today holds, I will just go with the flow :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 9:03 am

Hello folks .... can't stop ... must return this monitor to the health centre then dash across the city for a mammogram .... this girl
certainly knows how to live eh!!! see you later .........................
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 10th, 2018, 9:37 am

Woke up too early 5.55am lay in bed and fussed purring cats for an hour. Checked weather forecast and sun sun and more sun, bed linen on line now, firewood in and soon off to town for essentials and our locals very good roast and all the trimmings for £7.99.

I take your drift Tezza, if anything goes wrong it's down to them, even bleeding a rad. ! I am so used to sorting things myself I forget the rules are different for you.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 10th, 2018, 9:41 am

Back from various errands. LIDL had a whole lot of baking items, including chocolate chips which are difficult to obtain here, I feel a batch of Toll House Cookies coming on.
I also bought a couple of reduced frozen Crispy Ducks :drool:

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 10th, 2018, 9:46 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:
Zosherooney wrote:I bleed my radiators if needs be, it takes a very small tool and a minute?????? no harm intended....but ?

Well done Zosh, but I have no tools and no permission from landlord to tamper with his plumbing or electrics even if I did have tools. I do know how to bleed a radiator though. Maybe one day I'll have my own radiators, but I am really in no rush!

Zosh is right Tessa ... all it takes is a radiator key and they cost a couple of £ from a plumber or DIY place .. no tampering needed, you just insert into the correct side of the top of the radiator and open the vent (I hold a cloth over the vent) until water squirts out, then close. A tip from me: if the radiator is cold at the top, then it needs venting .. if it's cold at the bottom, then either the thermostat is stuck or there's sludge in the system - now that needs professional intervention ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 10th, 2018, 9:56 am

Morning!

I just posted a load on here and it disappeared! Mainly about my radiators now working nicely, toes warm, washing drying, floors swept, hoovered, mopped and I just fixed my kitchen window where a rusty key was stuck in the lock. So now I have heat, oxygen, clean floors, and off to The Range for a sparrow window feeder. They are going crazy in my roof! :luv:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2018, 10:02 am

Good morning
Think Teresa probably should let the bloke do her radiators not least because after bleeding you usually need to top up the system with water, and that's not necessarily something to do in private rented accommodation, even if you have access to the tap which you may not

Need to finish this coffee and get going, have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 10th, 2018, 10:05 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
TeresaFoodie wrote:

Zosh is right Tessa ... all it takes is a radiator key and they cost a couple of £ from a plumber or DIY place .. no tampering needed, you just insert into the correct side of the top of the radiator and open the vent (I hold a cloth over the vent) until water squirts out, then close. A tip from me: if the radiator is cold at the top, then it needs venting .. if it's cold at the bottom, then either the thermostat is stuck or there's sludge in the system - now that needs professional intervention ;)

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure I remember being told by a plumber that you should not bleed a radiator while the pump is running. If this is the case, then Tessa is restricted in what she can do for herself - assuming there is just one pump for the whole building.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 10:23 am

Hello ... I'm back ... BP monitor returned (OH came with me so I didn't have to park ... he leapt out of the car and returned said item while I turned the car around ... then we crossed the city to the community hospital and the mammogram clinic ... I arrived 45 mins early but the lovely Lucy said she'd do me straight away and I arrived home at the time my appointment was for ... OH didn't get to read much of his book in the car park.
Now I'm going to try to catch up on some of the sleep I missed last night ...... and later on I'll make a big pot of Trippa alla parmigiana for supper :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 10th, 2018, 11:28 am

Good morning everyone,
Damp, dreich and chilly here but no frost or rain so I'll get out for an airing in a bit.
Birdies are going nuts for the new feeders so I think this afternoon I'll get myself plonked in the chair in the conservatory and enjoy their antics.
The "Aubergine & Kale satay" I made last night wasn't a massive successive lack texture and needed much more by way of herbs/spice, but hey ho win some lose some ;)
Pork steak tonight not sure yet what I fancy with it but kale in some guise will feature :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 10th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Afternoon all :wave:

We got the shock of our lives this morning. Turned into the car park. at the supermarket and there, tethered amid the lavender bushes were 2 llamas and a zebra. We then realised that, in the far corner of the, huge, car park there was a big top and all the accutrements of a fair sized circus, They come to Apt quite often but usually plant themselves near the old station where they are doing a masssive revamp i don't mind circuses as such but I hate it when they have animals. So when a clown tried to hand me a leaflet inside the store he got a firm no thnak you with the reason.

On a brighter note the supermarket was selling a new range of fresh fish soups. We thought we ought to try one in the interests of research so that was lunch sorted and very good too- though I'll make my own rouille next time.

Still doing battle with the declutter. I don't think any human needs 114 picture frames of various sizes and ages.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Still doing battle with the declutter. I don't think any human needs 114 picture frames of various sizes and ages.

:o :o :lol:
You need an emergency vide grenier (attic sale)
There's a large wicker hamper full of pictures and frames in the attic I need to sort through, not least because I have alternative uses for the basket
The attic declutter is on hold as I am hoping to get the steps up to it done first - that's my excuse anyway :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 10th, 2018, 3:09 pm

I went over to Pissouri for our Wednesday Lace/Craft session, I had forgotten my specs :rolleyes:, However, my time was not wasted , someone is about to embark on making a patchwork quilt, I was able to tack fabric onto paper hexagons.
I caught up with the gossip and a friend who had knee replaced six weeks ago, she is doing very well, managed to get up two flights of stairs and has discarded her walking stick.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 10th, 2018, 3:17 pm

That's just the reason for doing it Sue - apart from the new shelves. The trouble really is that when we sold our UK house we sort of compressed the contents of two houses into one or rather one and a half. However the village is having a vide grenier along with a vide pousette (baby things) for charity. If you don't want to make any money yourself you can donate stuff.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Rats, I have 5 of some things
1. Mine
2. OH's (as we only moved in together when he was 40)
3. From his mother's house
4. From his father's house (they split in 1965)
5. From my parent's house

Not a problem with paring knives but I've been handing out blankets and dinner plates for years to anyone who'd have them :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 10th, 2018, 4:01 pm

I watched a plumber bleed my rads. the first time, he did it with the heating on, I have done this as we only had rads on from Nov til March. Never had a problem, perhaps I've been lucky ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Turn the heating and pump off before bleeding

https://www.uswitch.com/energy-saving/g ... -radiator/

:D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Just had a big bowl full of Trippa alla parmigiana :chops: :chops: :chops: very happy indeed :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 10th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Why wasn't I invited ? :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 8:45 pm

'cos it's all for me as I'm a greedy piggywig :oops: .... there's a bowlful left for tomorrow, but I'm not telling you where it is :lol: :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Hmmm, reading back here and the 'Good Morning' thread it looks as though :hug: :hug: :hug: are in order for many :shock:

What a surprise to find a zebra and llamas at the supermarket! Nothing so entertaining here.

I too, as an only child, inherited an awful lot which I have had to cull - but kept some useful things amongst the valuables/sentimentals. Some things I will keep until I really am the oldest in the extended family and then get rid of. DIL thinks it amazing that I have kept any of my own children's toys and books. I only really kept a few as entertainment if friends visited with small children but now everyone goes dewey-eyed when I get them out for GD :rolleyes: .

Horrendous day at work, so busy. That's it now though and I can sleep in in the morning - hurrah!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2018, 9:54 pm

We used to take carrots for the zebra at the outdoor shopping mall. But that was in South Africa. Unexpected in Europe
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 10th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Today did not run to plan (see what are you eating today) and am now shattered and in bed but with the wrong duvet cover on as it is not quite dry. We re hoping tomorrow will fair better. A lot of leyllandii branches are being chipped and either deposited behind our leyllandi or taken away - which ever is cheapest ! Then the plot where the double garage and hobbit room will be built will be clear. Phew !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 11th, 2018, 6:31 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, quiet weather here again.
When we moved to Cyprus it meant that the contents of three kitchens had to be merged into one. Fifteen years later we still have a very large collection of kitchen knives and various baking tins.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 11th, 2018, 7:13 am

Morning all.

Thick fog here last night (I thought my window must be dirty but no!) and again this morning. I haven't seen fog like it in ages. I awoke to a lovely dream where I killed two birds with one stone. I got to meet one of my film heroes, Ray Winstone :luv: and I got to retrieve all my belongings from storage. Ray helped me! :luv: I know somebody who knows him very well so I wonder if I put a word in.....

Today will be a 'suck it and see' day. All jobs done, waiting on some post, and depending on if it rains there could be a walk on the cards.

Isn't it strange how thick fog cushions noise. Even our two buses every fifteen minutes sound like they are floating on air! It is kind of eerie.

Right, cornflakes with fruit time. Start as I mean to go on today I think!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 7:50 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Fog does make normal sounds seem quite eerie Tezza ... hope it clears soon and you get your walk.
Moira the only things I have from Ma's kitchen are a Pyrex pie dish and her old metal colander without any handles.
Not sure what's happening today ... plans will be made over breakfast ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 11th, 2018, 7:58 am

No fog here either. Just walked the dogs, swam earlier and now I shall starve myself until Fat Club is over. :oops:

Going to Aero's local restaurant tonight for the swimmers' Christmas meal. It's actually for Christmas 2016 as we haven't managed to all get together in the intervening time. ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 11th, 2018, 8:05 am

Good morning wild ones. No fog or frost here today. My hairdressers called yesterday to ask me to change my appointment from Friday to yesterday, so I did. So nice new grey free haircut now. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 11th, 2018, 9:20 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Fortunately it is fine and dry here so the work in the library can be done with the minimum of dirt from outside. There is an exterior door to the library but it is on the second floor(!) there used to be a short flight on stone stepd to it but thses fell down years ago and we decided not to rebuild them for security reasons. However the door is at a good hieght for posting stuff through which saved tramping throught the house. It's the way suitcases go in!

I kept a lot of family bits that were passed on to me. I have my first nursery rhyme book and teddy and the blanket which was crocheted for my Christening. It's in a blanket chest made by my uncle for my mother when she was married - My wedding dress is in there too. WE have Mr R's GGmother's tea set.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 11th, 2018, 9:21 am

Good morning,
Misty here too, it's lifting a bit now but when I got up you could only see a few feet into my garden.
It's icy as well so will see what the pavements are like before I decide if I'll air my wheels.
I must tackle so of the dreaded i**ning today, the Christmas tablecloths need doing and I've a couple of tops that need a bit more than my usual shake and fold. It's a chore I loathe but also hate putting stuff away crumpled so needs must.
We had a Llama escape en route to the ferry (not sure why it was going from Scotland to Ireland), my friend got a huge surprise when it looked in her window :shock: (it made a right mess of her flower beds!!)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 9:35 am

When I got out of bed and looked out of the window I could see a bank of fog down by the river and marshes ... the day is still very grey so I'm not expecting great things of the weather .... however my morning has been brightened by R3 playing Butterworth's 'Banks of Green Willow' .... such a beautiful piece of music ... one of my absolute favourites ever since I was a child. :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2018, 10:06 am

Good morning
I'm not sure if it has rained here, I think we have just had a very heavy fog that has deposited a film of water on everything

Dull anyway here but hope to walk down to central Hackney for the film club

I have very little family memorabilia, my mother tried to suppress it as she drifted into dementia but I do have a knitted baby blanket certainly used by me, my mother, her father, and possibly my great-grandfather
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2018, 10:38 am

Morning all! Isn't it lovely when you unexpectedly hear a piece of music that lifts you for the day!

You all seem quite industrious again today. I think PP has the best idea - a nice lunch out after Fat Club, but much deserved after all that swimming and dog walking before I was even out of bed :lol: .

I had a lovely sleep and have been pootling about and not started on this room yet :|. I realised a short while ago that my women's social group meets tonight. I was looking forward to a night in and have done no preparation but feel sure I will enjoy myself once there. Time for a quick tidy up in the kitchen now before preparation for tonight and starting this mammoth tidying task ... maybe another :mug: :mug: :lol: :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 11:32 am

earthmaiden wrote:Morning all! Isn't it lovely when you unexpectedly hear a piece of music that lifts you for the day!

A bit later on they played Roderick Williams singing Vaughan Williams' Linden Lea ........ I nearly wept with delight :luv:

I love R3 :D :D :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 11th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Coughing at night keeping you awake. Put Vic on the soles of your feet before getting into bed. Seriously. The nurse at the eye assessment clinic told me that - not scientific evidence but ... it worked for me last night, best night sleep in two weeks. Unbelievable.

Cataract op in a month’s time. :tu: Would’ve been sooner but I have to stop taking a medication for two weeks before it. Saturday morning 7.30am.

Thinks. I wonder if the Health and Social Care Secretary knows the NHS works at the weekend?
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 11th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Well that was a result ! Tree man been, chipped and has now gone. He also used his chainsaw on the biggest logs that we were struggling with and we now have 3.5 wheelbarrows more logs for the fire. I have had him quote for the removal of most of a leyllandi hedge (half of it is brown anyway), as the n'bors one side have extended the fence (at their expense) and it will reduce the garden maintenance for us, but we will still have privacy. Just got to choose a date that Mr. Z.won't be here to get it done.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 11th, 2018, 12:52 pm

The vicks on the soles of feet has been used successfully in this family for years.......I’m always recommending it, people look at you like you are crazy when you suggest it.

Glad you had a better night Dennis.

Don’t get me started on our health secretary, I’ll be needing Suffs 24 hour BP monitor! Hope all goes well.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Busybee wrote:Don’t get me started on our health secretary, I’ll be needing Suffs 24 hour BP monitor!

... and you're very welcome to it Bb :rolleyes: :lol:

:idea: I wonder whether the Health & Social Care Secretary works weekends .....................
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 11th, 2018, 1:21 pm

I got involved in a crump type accident at traffic lights earlier today, no damage to my car, there is a dent in the other vehicle. The custom in Cyprus is to contact your insurance company asap, a young man appears very quickly to take photos and statements. The police are not involved unless their are injuries or serious damage to the vehicle. Luckily the couple in the other car were not screamers or shouters, in fact he was helpful with contacting our insurance company.
Interestingly there are no marks on my car, which would show up as it still has mud and dust on it following Tuesday's visit to the Salt Lake .
Deb commented the reps from both insurance companies appeared very quickly, they must have been lurking nearby, it is a busy junction.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2018, 1:28 pm

:idea: I wonder whether the Health & Social Care Secretary works ........

Day not going to plan. I have spent the whole morning preparing what I need to tonight and looking up some stuff for a trip recce I am doing on Saturday for the other group I belong to - interspersed with continual text messages from a friend who can't decide if she wants to change her job or not :rolleyes: . and the printer ink needing to be changed.

I think that this room tidying is going to have to wait until tomorrow ... :oops: :oops: :D . I need to think about lunch/supper which today will be eaten as one meal at about 4pm and sorting out the smaller jobs which need doing.

Edited to say what a shame Moira but glad you and your car were not hurt. :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 11th, 2018, 1:40 pm

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 1:49 pm

:? :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 11th, 2018, 3:00 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:I got involved in a crump type accident at traffic lights earlier today, no damage to my car, there is a dent in the other vehicle.

Get you car checked out. Modern plastic bumpers are very flexible and tough. It's possible that your bumper has bent and recovered. But there could be body damage underneath. Most bumpers have a polystyrene foam beam beneath to absorb energy. This may have crumbled.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop