Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 3:33 pm

I got hit from behind at a junction ... hardly a mark on my bumper but underneath there was major distortion of the rear chassis ... the young man's insurance company had to cough up over £1,200 for the damage.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 11th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Thank you Busybee, the odd thing is that, apart from the first couple of days I haven't felt unwell and pretty much carried on as usual apart from not sitting in coffee shops etc.

Let's not be too unfair on our blessed Health Secretary, I'm sure he worked very had when he co-authored a policy pamphlet that called for the NHS to be replaced by an insurance system. The 2005 policy book, called Direct Democracy: An Agenda For A New Model Party. In the interest of balance he denies he wrote that bit.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby scullion » January 11th, 2018, 5:15 pm

i bet he didn't inhale either!
scullion
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 11th, 2018, 5:16 pm

scullion wrote:i bet he didn't inhale either!

:tu:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2018, 5:18 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Only in Cyprus :rolleyes:
http://cyprus-mail.com/2018/01/11/polic ... h-lessons/

Moira

There have been quite a lot of illegal English lessons and whole schools closed down in North London; usually by council officials but backed up by the police if necessary

People set up these establishments, take student's money often wangling them student visas, but provide no adequate professional teaching and give certificates that are worthless and won't necessarily help the students get the jobs they thought they were training for

It's a serious scam, linked into money laundering (but so is everything these days, cf. McMafia)

I have been for the first time ever to Hackney Picture House, were we have had a showing of the restored print of The Third Man and a discussion afterwards, and coffee. Excellent value for a fiver for the whole thing for use retired folks :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 11th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Moira glad you and your vehicle are unharmed.

I had to break off suddenly this afternoon because Mr R had written down the wrong date on the calender for our hairdresser who turned up amidst the work in the library. Right then he was not my favourite person. However all is now well amd the libraray looks wonderful and t= my hair looks pretty good too.

I now feel utterly shattered and looking forward to an early night.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 11th, 2018, 11:30 pm

This evenings meal was yesterdays (planned) lunch at the pub (only a ding dinner). Mr. Z. was carefully monitored and had no adverse reaction to his supper and has just finished with a small portion of tart tatin and a brandy :o :o Hope there is no snoring... :rolleyes:

Did anyone else catch the cat programme ? We (and the cats, watched avidly) thought it was wonderful. That little rusty Sri Lankan fluff, and all those other cats.... fantastic !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 12th, 2018, 6:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. The arrests connected with the "illegal" English school were probably prompted by commercial reasons. The school probably did not have a licence, normally no one would worry but if they were undercutting their rivals, that is a crime..
Two years ago a group of elderly ladies were arrested for illegal gambling, they were playing canasta. The cause of the complaint was actually parking problems and noise, they must have been very noisy for Cypriots to complain.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 12th, 2018, 7:22 am

Morning all.

A wonderful kip although I am still yawning like a good 'un! I think a coffee should sort that out.

I missed the cats because it clashed with the HB but I noticed it is repeated over the weekend. Looking forward to it!

Job Centre today. :evil: Wish them luck! :lol: Prior to that I'll wander the shops for a bit, see what bargains I can pick up. :tu:

Have fun all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 12th, 2018, 8:37 am

Good morning wild ones. We are waiting for yet another builder to come and look at a job. The first looked last May...yes May he came back twice and we haven't seen him since :rolleyes: This latest one should have come to look at the job on Wednesday, we are still waiting :rolleyes: at least he rang to say he had to finish another job first, but we are three days waiting now :twisted: :twisted: I am beginning to think they don't want the work.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 12th, 2018, 9:18 am

Morning everyone :wave:

And breathe. It got very hectic yesterday. Not only were our carpenters in full flow but at 2,00pm there was a ring at the doorbell and laura our hairdresser appeared. Mr R had written the wrong date in his diary and we weren't expecting her until next week :rolleyes:
To make things even more complicated she was due to do me a root bosster perm thingy as well as cut Mr R's hair. We got to the point wherethe work was finished and therefore Mr R was needed to inspect and write a cheque. You can probably picture the scene :lol:

Eventually everything got sorted. The library looks terrific and my hair looks rather good too and we rewarded ourselves with large G&Ts.

He's offf to the recycling depot right now to deposit various bits of furniture now surplus to requiremnts then hopefully on to pick up some moules for supper tonight from the fish stall.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 12th, 2018, 10:47 am

icelesley wrote:Good morning wild ones. We are waiting for yet another builder to come and look at a job. The first looked last May...yes May he came back twice and we haven't seen him since :rolleyes: This latest one should have come to look at the job on Wednesday, we are still waiting :rolleyes: at least he rang to say he had to finish another job first, but we are three days waiting now :twisted: :twisted: I am beginning to think they don't want the work.

I think good builders are in high demand. We had to wait nearly a year for our builder to start, but to be fair he did tell us that he had nine months of work before us. We have had a new garage built, plus some other jobs. It was supposed to be done whilst we were in Australia and would last 5/6 weeks. They actually started at the end of October and the garage doors were put on on Wednesday! Not all the electrics have been completed and an outside wall still needs rendering, so who knows when it will be finally finished? Job so far is excellent, it’s just dragging on a bit.

We moved in nearly three years ago and knew that the garage needed replacing. We had four different firms quote for the job, all four had long lead in times due to prior booked work. I think good tradespeople are difficult to find, but once you are known to them (and are known as prompt payers) then they do tend to look after you. The heating engineer came out the week before Christmas as we had no heating in the new part of the cottage due to a valve failure in the underfloor heating, he sorted us out with a temp repair and came and repaired fully in the new year.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 12th, 2018, 10:59 am

We booked our builder last Sept. He is due to start beg. Feb. I think it will be half way through feb. we are not in a hurry, phase II due to start May/June. That will be late too but at least the invasive work will hopefully be in the drier warmer months - fingers crossed.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Oh ... didn't I say hello earlier? :oops:

We made an early start as we had a trip into the city for paint and stuff and then the s'market for food as OH is no longer at the farm shop. It was really foggy out there first thing.

While at the art supplies shop we bumped into an old college friend we've not seen for a goodly while ... have swapped mobile numbers and will be meeting up for a drink ... great to see him :D

Now all the shopping is put away, the fog has lifted, the sky is blue and it's a lovely day ... just a :mug: then back in the studio ....
cod & oven chips (the delicious beef dripping ones) for supper so no prepping to be done :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm

suffolk wrote:cod & oven chips (the delicious beef dripping ones) for supper so no prepping to be done

We have decided to have fish and chips for supper too, but we shall go down to Erimi to sample George's excellent chips :drool:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Hello! Hmmm, we all still seem to be doing January things :lol:,

All I've done today so far is go to SW and then have lunch whilst catching up with 'A House Through Time' which I find has interesting snippets.

I was going to take the car to be valeted before giving a friend a lift tomorrow but there's a parking space outside so I'll do it myself. Once the mud has been removed from the mats and the rubbish removed it will probably look fine. I need to go shopping too. I am wearing the nice fluffy fleecy thing I bought at the charity shop last week. It's so lovely and warm and looks new. I am rather pleased with it.

I want fish and chips after reading about everyone else having them ... but will stick to my diet plan :(
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 12th, 2018, 1:01 pm

The builder has been. :bounce: :bounce: He had a look at the job and will be back Sunday Morning :shock: to measure up. We also managed to grab the plasterer we were after, he is working at a house across the road, so he came to look at some external work we need doing, he did say with it being outside we would have to wait until spring when the walls can dry out before he deals with them. OK, it's not so bad as long as they tell you when and why, it's just so annoying when they just don't come back with no explanation.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 12th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Wahey - my stick has arrived! I'll shorten it to the right length, and field test it at 5 o'clock on the dot!
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2018, 1:32 pm

Have you got a rubber ferrule for it?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 12th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Yes - it came with one.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 12th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
Much milder here, dry just now but definitely a weather change looming.
A tiring morning here as i had to go properly out as I needed to visit the bank and the post office so a snooze will definitely be had in a bit.
Fish and chips here too tonight, though cajun spiced salmon with sweet potato fries here. I'll make a sweet pepper stew to go with it. My sister is coming round after her work so no doubt a few :cocktail: :cocktail: will be consumed. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 12th, 2018, 1:42 pm

When we were having our fristfairly major building work done here we were told by a neighbour that before signing the devise (estimate) get written starting and finishing dates and then sign. If the completion is delayed, they don't turn up or only turn up sometimes then state that, barring a valid excuse, a cetain amount will be deducted for each day/ week of delay but a bonus will be offered for early completion subject to satisfactory work.

WE were a bit reluctant to do this, at first but followed his advice and only once have we had to follow through with a deduction - the man in question went out of business due to his unreliability. We have, however, paid out several bonuses and were happy to do so.

There is one local mason we were warned offf right at the start and he has given several people grief because of his habit of taking seceral jobs on at the same time, then trying to keep everyone happy whike managing to upset them all.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 12th, 2018, 1:49 pm

liketocook wrote:Fish and chips here too tonight, though cajun spiced salmon with sweet potato fries here

That is far too posh to be called fish and chips, :o it could never be wrapped in newspaper :lol:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Gruney wrote:Yes - it came with one.

:tu:

Hope it helps ... mine certainly has :D

Don't forget to report back :cocktail: :cocktail:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 12th, 2018, 3:45 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
liketocook wrote:Fish and chips here too tonight, though cajun spiced salmon with sweet potato fries here

That is far too posh to be called fish and chips, :o it could never be wrapped in newspaper :lol:

Moira

Oh it could :lol: :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » January 12th, 2018, 6:22 pm

evening all.
i've already eaten. we went for a walk on the beach but seemed to find ourselves in the beach café before the walk. coffee, then a 'falafel' burger, coleslaw and chips for me and a plate of tortilla chips for him.
we walked for an hour-ish - until about five and i'm still so full i won't need dinner.
i don't think i'll make my kilo this week.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2018, 7:10 pm

That sounds delicious scully :chops: :chops:

I have spent most of the afternoon visiting Iceland (the shop of course) and Morrisons. I don't go to either very often. I have given up all hope of this room ever getting tidied up :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2018, 7:27 pm

The nachos/tortilla chips at The Beach Café are highly recommended ... a favourite and regular choice of ours when we're down that way 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 12th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Be careful ladies! A few deep breaths needed!! :)

Only 21 posts to a birth. Could it be tonight? :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Goodness me, on a Friday evening :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » January 12th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Evening all :hug:

Went out with some of the girls from work tonight for a meal, I was already to carry on afterwards but they were all heading home :evil: I ended up ringing up hubby to come and pick me up he was about to eat his tea so had a wander with one of my colleagues to have a wander round Tesco whilst I waited for him.

I am out tomorrow night with a friend at theatre. :D

We are waiting for building works to be commenced on our kitchen due to the subsidence. The works were originally set for the beginning of the month but because I was due to have my op then I said no way it can wait until March as I would not be able to recover or cope with just a sink in my kitchen for three weeks. We have just had to have a second asbestos report done :rolleyes:
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 13th, 2018, 12:56 am

We returned late 11pm from listening to the Moscow Drug club (part of his Crimbo pressie) I could not have chosen better, they were excellent and so very different. So good we bought the CD (no T shirts available !!!) They are Bristol based so in our area really, would go and see them again in the future.

Beforehand stopped off at ASDA and collected a carrier bag of penny RTC bargains !!! My late small supper was some steamed stem broccoli, leeks and spring cabbage with salsa in a wrap with melted cheese and a smattering of yoghurt... Mmmm !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 13th, 2018, 5:38 am

Morning all,

All this talk of fish and chips.....I sat here last night weighing up the pros and cons of taking a short walk to my local Chinese takeaway. Pros - you get an awful lot of chips on a regular sized portion for £1.70 and they are delicious! Cons - I know I would have eaten the whole lot with bread and butter! Just as I had made up my mind to resist, someone on TV was munching chips straight from the paper on TV. I could almost smell them. I had to switch channels!

I knew that yesterday in town took it out of me when I sat down to watch something I'd been looking forward to at 8pm, dropped off and don't remember anything else until 4am this morning. Soundo! I think I'll go for a swim later. Saturdays are hectic with all the kid's fun sessions but I am willing to brace myself.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2018, 7:02 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I had not realised that a birth was imminent, start thinking of girls names beginning with O.

Last nights haddock and chips were excellent.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » January 13th, 2018, 8:12 am

Good morning all :hug:

Had an awful nights sleep last night was up for a couple of hours and used my wheatbag to help get the pain I was in under control.

I shall go and get myself presentable for going to hairdressers. :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 13th, 2018, 8:20 am

Good morning wild ones. It seems very dark this morning, I almost stayed in bed, I thought it was about 3.30 not 7.30 :rolleyes: But I am up anyway and ready for :mug: number 2 :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2018, 9:21 am

Deb has just harvested a quantity of lemon grass. I cannot use them immediately, Google says that they freeze easily :D

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 9:29 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I've only just woken up :oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 13th, 2018, 9:41 am

I watched Golden Balls then fell back to sleep, couldn't believe it was 9am when I woke up again! Bed made, got to make myself presentable for mum coming over at midday. A dry and grey day out there.

I have been debating whether to post the following on the naturewatch thread or here. I may do both. Last week I bought a window bird feeder, one with a sucker to stick it to the glass. I am in a first floor flat, and although they are happy enough nesting up in the roof just above where I have positioned it, they are probably not used to something like this being where it is. I have been scattering a few seeds on the lawn below to try and entice them but nothing. I have for months been putting breadcrumbs on the bay window just below which they have been, and still are, coming down for, but they are not interested in the bird feeder. Am I just being impatient?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 9:43 am

Yes I think so Tezza ... keep sprinkling some food they like around the area of the feeder to draw their attention to it ... They can be creatures of habit just like us. If may take a few weeks for them to cotton on ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 13th, 2018, 9:55 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Very frosty but bright and sunny and the air is absolutely sparkling. Very "then" market. We are told there will be eveb fewer stalls next week as everyone is off to the sun or the mountains.
We're still ploughing our way all the thousands of books CDs etc and I am becoming fairly ruthless in my old

Tezza the sparrows will not realise it is there yet and if they can see into the room and if, for example the TV is on they may be scared off. Try shutting the curtains. Our dicky birds won't come to our feeders if the cats are around or we are in the veranda unless we pull the curtainsThen we see them like shadow puppets on the curtains.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 13th, 2018, 10:04 am

I'll try that, thanks Rats. I do not generally close my curtains as they have to be tucked behind my bed and then get squashed against the wall. I'll do that before I go out, making a mental note of the level of the food in the feeder. I'll update later!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 10:18 am

Downstairs now and making breakfast ... trying out new eggs for my dippy egg now that I can't get the fabulous ones from the farm shop without driving several miles out of my way ... this week's eggs are the FR Clarence Court Old Cotswold Legbar ... I'm very particular about eggs ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 13th, 2018, 10:29 am

When I had a window feeder, only a robin and blackbird ever used it - in fact I could get quite close to the window before they flew off. My neighbour has sparrow houses in the ivy on the wall above and I see plenty of sparrows in the trees and shrubs outside my lounge, none of them ever used the feeder ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 10:31 am

Well, that Legbar dippy egg was very good ... perfectly acceptable ... they have been added to my list of acceptable eggs ... as I said, I'm very particular about eggs ... I suppose it's because of having had our own hens for most of my life ... I hardly ever ate an egg more than a couple of days old, if that.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 10:33 am

I used not to get sparrows on bird feeders Patsy ... but here the housesparrows from next door's roof tuck into the Robin Seed Mix all the time, queuing up on the trellis fence by our sitting room window to take their turn ... watching the newly fledged ones learn how to do it from copying the adults is great fun :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 10:41 am

Oh! I've just looked at the number of posts :shock: ... is anyone else about to help with this ...?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » January 13th, 2018, 10:52 am

Morning All

Dippy eggs here too :drool: :drool:

Hot water on, towels warmed, puuuuuush.........

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2018, 10:54 am

I have a pot of leek and potato soup on the hob, will that sustain us through the labour?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 10:57 am

I dunno Moira ... I've got a load of laundry on the go ... but to be fair the machine's doing it all and I'm noodling here ...
Morning Chinch :wave:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop