Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Postby scullion » November 5th, 2017, 2:23 am

a true cornish baby with his own flag!
scullion
Registered

Re: Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 5th, 2017, 4:01 am

Good morning Piran! :cocktail: And good morning all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 5th, 2017, 7:03 am

Good Morning Wild Ones and welcome to our new Cornishman.
Raining here but it was forecast. Luckily I took my clothes in from the outside airing rack last night.

The shooting season has started here, the rain will put the dampers on things :rolleyes:

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 5th, 2017, 7:13 am

Bright frosty one here, the cherry tree outside my bedroom window has turned the most gorgeous burn orange colour.

Last nights curry fest was very successful, every dish was applauded and we have more to eat ! We sorted the woes of the world and laughed till our sides hurt ! Unfortunately my sciatica gave me another meltdown but thankfully after our guests had departed. This was in spite of a 2 hour sit down to watch Blue Planet and another programme in the afternoon. I hope the situation rectifies soon as I can't be having this interruption in my life - too much to get on with !

I have a steak and kidney pudding to prep. before Mr. Z. gets up or he will try and get me to make a pie and I want to use the slow cooker and I do like a suet pudding with herbs. :chops:

Thanks all for your pillow and knee crossing tips. I will try the pillow but could not even get on my side either last night or the night before, it was as much as I could do just to get into bed ! I can't remember the last time I crossed my legs !!! I have thick thighs and my knee joints don't like to cross !!!! I tend to cross my ankles and swish them to the side.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 5th, 2017, 8:20 am

Welcome Piran :D :tu: and well done to Scully :hi5: :cocktail: :cocktail:
All on your own in the wee small hours too ... Hope you got a :mug: for your effort ;)
It's a glorious sunny morning here with blue skies and golden oak trees across the rise ... I'm waiting for a :mug:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 5th, 2017, 8:54 am

It is obviously going to rain all day so I shall make Roasted Pepper & Tomato soup for lunch instead of our usual salad.

I have been down for the Sunday Papers, no papers :o :o :o this is interesting as the International Sunday Times is printed here in Cyprus. I need the papers on a wet Sunday :x

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 5th, 2017, 8:59 am

As a carry over I thought Jo Brand was excellent, always liked her, she made her point, staying calm and carried on as if nothing special had happened. Bringing Hislop to a halt must be a first. Whoever chose the panel knew what they were doing as well.

OH has used a small pillow between her knees for many years.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 5th, 2017, 9:20 am

Good morning Piran and Wildies :wave:

Do our :mug: :mug: now have blue stripes?

Rained overnight I think, but brilliant sunshine now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 5th, 2017, 9:30 am

The blue striped Cornishware was actually made in Derbyshire. I think it was named just to piggyback on the fame of the Cornish ceramic workshops in the 50s and 60s. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 5th, 2017, 10:19 am

Zosherooney wrote: I will try the pillow but could not even get on my side either last night or the night before, it was as much as I could do just to get into bed ! I can't remember the last time I crossed my legs !!!

If you are laying on your back then a couple of pillows need to be under your knees. .. a good stretching exercise is to lay on your back on a firm surface, bring your knees up as far as you can go towards your chest and gradually pull them down as far as you can .. or, (on your back), knees bent and feet on the floor, raising one leg at a time and slowly lower it across to the opposite side, keeping shoulders and bum on the floor (arms out sideways can help with this). While you are on the floor, a bit of time on your back with your legs support on the seat of a chair.....You just might have to give in and give yourself a couple of days rest.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 5th, 2017, 10:36 am

suffolk wrote:The blue striped Cornishware was actually made in Derbyshire. I

It most certainly is----https://www.cornishware.co.uk/about-us/

I know it well - for 25 years, I sang in a Male Voice Choir, not half a mile away.
Gruney
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 5th, 2017, 10:50 am

Good morning everyone and welcome Piran
After yesterday's torrential rain, it's a beautiful though very cold morning. It's a shame the local Round Table firework display isn't on tonight instead of last night.
I've taken a portion of roast chicken and gravy out of the freezer so it's that, root veg mash (I'll make a new batch later as I've used up the freezer stash), sprouts and stuffing tonight. The temperature is due to have dropped to 3C by the evening so that will be a good warming meal.
I hope to get a good bit done in the garden this afternoon as it's supposed to be wet and windy again from tomorrow. As usual on a Sunday I'm going for a cooked brunch. Swithering between bacon and tattie scone or lorne and eggs. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 5th, 2017, 10:58 am

Thanks Patsy, I will give it a go.... :hi5:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » November 5th, 2017, 11:04 am

suffolk wrote: I think it was named just to piggyback on the fame of the Cornish ceramic workshops in the 50s and 60s. :D

i think it may have been because it was made of cornish china clay.
it's made in china now - like lots of things.
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 5th, 2017, 11:53 am

The area around Green's pottery was rich in both coal and clay - particularly Swadlincote, where you can still see an old bottle kiln. I know a couple of old boys who worked in the clay pits. This is an extract from an article on the Cornish ware:-

"One of the companies most popular lines has always been Cornishware which was first produced in 1924. It was created using a nifty lathe-turning technique that scraped blue slip away from its beautiful ceramics to reveal white bands of clay beneath. Those stripes reminded an employee of the blue skies and white-crested waves of Cornwall, which is how Cornishware got its name."
Gruney
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 5th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Our surgery, and many others, now employ a Musculoskeletal paramedic. He's been good with OH and now passed on to NHS physiotherapy, which has given her a range of exercises and it seems easy to book further appointments.

"To find out whether self-referral is available in your area, ask the reception staff at your GP surgery or contact your local NHS Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or trust."
NHS Help.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 5th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Dydh da Piran! :D :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 5th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Welcome to the Cornish one :wave:

We had a thunderstorm and lots of rain last night which kept us awake.

Just said goodbye to our lunch guests after lunch. I seem to have spent the last 48 hours in the kitchen, but there is enough food in the fridge for several days.

Unfortunately one of our guests came with bad news. Her breast cancer has reappeared and she has to go into hospital tomorrow for further tests and possible surgery. Her husband is clearly terrified but she is as positive and strong as ever. All we can do at this point is to be friends and be there for them both. However it did put a bit of a damper on lunch.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 5th, 2017, 3:30 pm

I have just had to turn my radiator to high for the first time. The pipes are gurgling like a good 'un. I have some Basmati soaking for half an hour while I have a toot on my clarinet. I know both neighbours here have gone to the pub so I won't be bothering anyone otherwise I wouldn't do it on a Sunday.
I was watching Dick Strawbridge and his son James earlier in Cornwall in Hungry Sailors and part of their culinary adventures had them cooking a round wholemeal loaf in a clay oven. Once cooked it looked lovely and they educated me when they turned the loaf over to reveal a bottom covered in soot from the embers. This they said was where the term 'upper crust' came from. The upper section would be served to the land owners and the bottom, sooty section to the servants etc. On reading up on this it seems it is arguable that this is where the term upper crust heralded, but I found it interesting and quite likely.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 5th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Hmmm, for some reason Dick Strawbridge irritates me enormously. Iirc, he first appeared on our screens in a series called 'It Ain't Easy being Green' with his then wife and their young family ... quite an interesting programme showing how the whole family got on without gas or electricity, calling on Dick's expertise as an Engineer/inventor (for instance using a water wheel for power) .... Fast forward, and he then appeared on Coast, then Hungry Sailors (since when did he suddenly became a chef), various other similar programmes, before re-surfacing with wife number 2 and a series in converting a French (farm?) House .... talk about milking it ! Sorry, it might just be me ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 5th, 2017, 3:51 pm

Beautiful day in North Yorkshire, been out picking sloes after the hard frosts we have had this week. We have access to a friends fields and in a corner where the hedge cutter can’t quite reach was a bountiful haul.........three stones of sloes picked!

We have given most of them away, keeping 10lb to be made into sloe gin. A trip to Aldi first thing in the morning for their award winning London gin and we are good to go. It won’t be quite ready for Christmas, but maybe new year, either way it’s going to be a merry January :lol: .

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 5th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Hic ! :?

Fire is lit, I had had a snooze and rested my leg/hip and am now about to snuggle down with a fluff if he does not mind me borrowing his settee !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » November 5th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Gruney wrote:The area around Green's pottery was rich in both coal and clay [..] This is an extract from an article on the Cornish ware:-

"One of the companies most popular lines has always been Cornishware [..] It was created using a nifty lathe-turning technique that scraped blue slip away from its beautiful ceramics to reveal white bands of clay beneath. [..]"

if they had used the local clay for cornishware it wouldn't have had the white stripes (or that colour of blue come to that) using that lathed method. the clay from that area is terracotta.
the blue slip would be made from the same clay as the body clay (so that it doesn't have a different coefficient of expansion and therefore shiver of the body) and coloured with cobalt oxide. using a terracotta clay the cobalt would have just gone a muddy purple-y colour and the fired body would be a red brick-like colour.
the finished cornishware pots have a clear glaze to let the colour of the slip and body come through. impossible if they had used the local clay for the line.
undoubtably, they would have used the local clay for other wares but cornishware had cornish china clay in it.
as i finished uni an advert was circulating for students to go and work on the newly revived cornishware line - they were paying peanuts and the skills were inappropriate - i don't think anyone applied for the jobs.
the (possibly) apocryphal story of the sea and surf may be right - but it's a bit easy, isn't it? we all made up stuff to put in publicity bumf to fit the work - who was going to say it wasn't so?
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 5th, 2017, 7:03 pm

I know nothing, Scullion - I'm merely posting what's on the Green's website. Not a biggie for me - I just spent many happy years with the locals, and feel a little bit of an affinity with the place. That's all.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 5th, 2017, 7:41 pm

At 2.18 am I was counting z's
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 5th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Some serious firework noises going off outside.
Mogs are all asleep in the lounge.
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 5th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Same here - dogs all reacting quite differently - but they don't like it.
Gruney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 5th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Anyone watching Blue Planet?
It seems the sea bed trumps.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 5th, 2017, 8:51 pm

The Cornishware that my mother had was made of terracotta. The white and blue stripes seemed to be a second and/or third firing, with the clear glaze a final one.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » November 6th, 2017, 6:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
PatsyMFagan wrote: Hmmm, for some reason Dick Strawbridge irritates me enormously
Dick Strawbridge together with his brother first surfaced in Scrapheap Challenge, which we watched as my Father enjoyed the programme.
We are back to our usual sunny weather

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 6th, 2017, 6:23 am

Morning all

Thick frost out there on the cars today so my daily walk will be much later on.

WWordsworth wrote:Anyone watching Blue Planet?
It seems the sea bed trumps.

I saw the deep ocean bed blowing off! Wasn't it a delightful episode? I was fascinated by the sponge within which were two breeding shrimps that had grown too big to escape through the holes. Boring, I thought, but at least they were safe to breed in there. Nature is a wonderful thing!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby missmancs » November 6th, 2017, 7:25 am

Morning everyone

Well we made It to the Bonfire and fireworks Saturday and a fab night was had by all. My 3 year old DD appears to have developed her mother's like for funfairs and was
squealing with delight over all the rides. Only 6 months ago she was petrified of going on the little ride on machines you see outside supermarkets.

Late night meant a very lazy day yesterday before watching Strictly and the Blue Planet. Now back to earth with a bang and just finishing my :mug: before hitting the shower and off to work.

Happy Monday folks
Jane
missmancs
Registered

Postby jrc » November 6th, 2017, 8:13 am

Morning all :hug:

Nursing a poorly pooch this morning. The fireworks scared the life out of despite tranquilisors from the vet. :cry:
Having new gutters, facias and soffits fitted today. :D
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 6th, 2017, 8:21 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Enjoy your DD Miss Mancs ... She sounds delightful :D
Busy morning here ... Lola has to be taken for her service and MOT ... I'll come home on the bus and wait for them to ring me and get a can to fetch her ... Fingers crossed she's not too expensive ... She's another year older ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 6th, 2017, 8:45 am

Good Morning Wild ones. Chilly here this morning, OH had to defrost the car for me :D But the sun is out now.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 6th, 2017, 8:48 am

Good morning everyone,
Back to dull and damp here, though still fairly chilly.
I'm still in my PJs enjoying a :mug: cuppa and contemplating what I'll do today.
Once I'm showered I'll pop a pot soup on that I did the prep for yesterday so it's ready for lunch time. Tonight I think I'm having jerk spiced turkey breast with Jamaican-style rice "n" peas (they are from a "ping" packet lurking in the cupboard) and various veg. I've a kilo of stewing steak in the fridge which I bought with a view to making New Year's steak pie but there was a muck up with 3kg I ordered and I only got 1kg. I had planned to freeze 2kg for the pie and use the other kg, so I'll trim this lot and freeze in solo-cooking friendly portions :)
Apart from that I plan to try and get some much needed admin done and the kitchen floor needs mopping - I really know how to live it up these days :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby jrc » November 6th, 2017, 9:00 am

I have just been on the phone. I am going to have a minor op done in about three weeks time. They want to see me post op two weeks after the procedure but that appointment has been booked for a week before I have the thing done???? :shock:
jrc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 6th, 2017, 9:27 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones
PatsyMFagan wrote: Hmmm, for some reason Dick Strawbridge irritates me enormously
Dick Strawbridge together with his brother first surfaced in Scrapheap Challenge, which we watched as my Father enjoyed the programme.

Ah, I didn't know that Moira ... Scrapheap Challenge was never my viewing of choice ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 6th, 2017, 9:29 am

suffolk wrote: I'll come home on the bus and wait for them to ring me and get a can to fetch her

That's a novel means of transport Suffs ;) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 6th, 2017, 9:34 am

jrc wrote:I have just been on the phone. I am going to have a minor op done in about three weeks time. They want to see me post op two weeks after the procedure but that appointment has been booked for a week before I have the thing done???? :shock:

I presume for a pre-op assessment ? If so, they do bloods, BP, weight etc ....
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby jrc » November 6th, 2017, 9:40 am

I have just phoned our local pharmacy. I should have been prescribed 60 tablets, one twice daily. They have dispensed 120 in error. Bearing in mind they are heart pills, I could have assumed the surgery had upped the dose???

Not like the pharmacy, but if they are doing this to other people who may not realise???
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 6th, 2017, 9:41 am

Morning Everyone :wave:

We had a restless night because the Mistral was makinh every beam and window frame in the house creak. It was like sleeping on a sail boat

The door bell went at 7. It was the water meter reader. They are supposed to advise that they are coming and not come before 8.30, so wr0ng on both counts. He then came into the garden. moved and cracked the flower pot which sits on the meter cover and left the cover and the gate open. So everything is now full of leaves and other debris which has been blown in by the wind. Cross phone calls have been made.

Hope Lola is not too expensive Suffs. When our car need a service we can choose from a coutesy car or someone comes and collects and returns it.

Glad the litttle one enjoyed herself Missmancs. I think children find firework displays like Marmite. One of our GCs adored them, the other was terrified.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 6th, 2017, 10:19 am

Well at least you didn't take them all at once jrc!! :D Hope your health is improving and that the minor op goes well when you have it. :hug: :hug:

Morning Wildies :wave:

Lovely day here so I'm off on another of my reconnaissance trips for our potential move next year. Having 'done' Thatcham last week I am going to start exploring the area around Didcot today. Most of Didcot is one vast housing estate but there are some nicer places around and about (plus an 'old' part of Didcot) and the logistics on many levels are good.

Catch you later :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby jrc » November 6th, 2017, 10:33 am

Sea :hug:

Definitely feel better. I was going to do the 3km Santas on the run for Pilgrims Hospice. I know it is only a very short distance but considering the health issues I have had that is a huge distance for me to run but having the op the week before has put paid to that. :rolleyes:
jrc
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 6th, 2017, 11:20 am

Ratatouille wrote:The door bell went at 7. It was the water meter reader

Luckily our water is by the side gate so that Socrates from the village office can access it with minim disturbance. Our last water bill was very high, we were slow discovering a leak.
jrc wrote: I was going to do the 3km Santas on the run for Pilgrims Hospice
Are you going to dress up :xtree: ?

Chicken rolls from lunch, I think that mine will be Chicken with a lot of avocado, One suddenly got ripe very quickly

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » November 6th, 2017, 11:42 am

:wave: :wave: :wave: Hi JRC I hope you are OK, it seems like ages since you posted. I just realised we are on a new CB, welcome Piran :wave:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » November 6th, 2017, 12:19 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:The door bell went at 7. It was the water meter reader

Luckily our water is by the side gate so that Socrates from the village office can access it with minim disturbance. Our last water bill was very high, we were slow discovering a leak.
jrc wrote: I was going to do the 3km Santas on the run for Pilgrims Hospice
Are you going to dress up :xtree: ?

Chicken rolls from lunch, I think that mine will be Chicken with a lot of avocado, One suddenly got ripe very quickly

Moira

The op is on my foot, so if the surgery has been done, I won't be able to do it. You are given a Santa suit :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 6th, 2017, 1:14 pm

I toddled off downstairs to make watercress soup for lunch and a garlic bread to use up yesterday's baguette. .Soup was simmering, washer was going and bread was ready for the oven when BANG - no electricity. It came back on then went off again 3 times each time with a loud bang. It finally came on again 30 minutes later. The doorbell rang It was our neighbour to ask if we were having problems too. We told him we had but it was now restored. Turns out his computer was plugged in but not on a surge block and it is now frizzled. I've lent him my old laptop for which he is grateful because he was in the middle of buying a flight for his yearly trip to Reunion
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 6th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Afternoon all. Late on parade here. Started Jury Service this morning thinking I'd be sitting around doing b****r all for 2 weeks. Had loaded up the Kindle and everything.

I've been put on a case which is going to last around 5 weeks. We take the oath tomorrow morning. :o :o :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 6th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Good luck PP. If the case happens to be upsetting please please make use of any counselling help offered. it should be.
Ratatouille
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop