Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Postby icelesley » December 7th, 2017, 8:16 am

Good morning wild ones. I hope the bad weather hitting Britain doesn't cause to many problems for everyone, batten down the hatches and stay safe :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 7th, 2017, 9:15 am

Weather! It's 12.5C here, bit of rain in the air and not a lot of wind. Forecast for early evening, 3C and very windy. Nightmare for those of us who have to use storage heaters. :twisted:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 7th, 2017, 9:37 am

Good morning everyone,
It's a wild one here, worst of the gales due to settle this afternoon in time for temperatures to plummet to freezing tonight, snow forecast for tomorrow but we don't tend to get much as we are so near the coast.
I think I'll be taking the last portion of lentil soup out for lunch and I think tonight will either be pasta or some sort of one pot wonder.
Thankfully the storm seems to mainly on the West so hopefully the Calais/Dover crossing won't be too bumpy, they are booked on the 1pm ferry so fingers crossed.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2017, 9:45 am

Morning everyone :wave:

All you North britons please stay warm and safe. :hug: :mug:

Rather gloomy here today. I must get the decorations on the tree but I have already spent over an hour trying and failing to contact Amazon. Having agreed with la poste that my package is lost they are refusing to issue a refund because they say La Poste says it has been delivered and I've got to take it up with them.

Mr R has to go into town again to get chicken food, go to the PO with parcels (which may or may not get to their destinations)

We really enjoyed Digging for Britain last night. to visit. A lot of it was about Vindolanda which was always one of our favourite places to visit in Northumberland . I even did some digging when I was a college and found a piece of pottery
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 7th, 2017, 10:19 am

Ratatouille wrote: I even did some digging when I was a college and found a piece of pottery
Respect :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:

Our local supermarket seems to have finished their improvements. The new deli dept looks good, a better selection of cheeses which were well displayed. One of the brothers was going round the shop with men in suits. No changes to the bakers, I had to wait for the fresh rolls to be carried from the bakery into the shop.
Unfortunately there is no pre prepared glace fruit this year. A local firm, Katerina makes glyco and glace fruits, usually at this time year they supply 500g flat packs of chopped, mixed glace fruit, very useful for fruit cakes but I cannot find it anywhere. It was a good mixture of different citrus peels, apricots, cherries and candied walnuts, none of the mixtures were the same, it probably depended on who packed it.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2017, 1:15 pm

Moira I'm going to Confiserie St Denis tomorrow. If you are desperate for anything let me know and I'll send it

Got the tree decorated with "help" from Jules. He is forbidden to go into the verandah now because so many of the decorations are blown glass and very very old - 5 from my first tree in 1943.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Hello folks I'm back ... all is relatively well ... cholesterol and BP more than they should be but hardly surprising given the inactive year I've had ... hopefully things will improve. I'll keep eating the Benecol yoghurts. At least my weight hasn't increased so that's good :tu:

Weather's been horrid here ... quite windy and very wet ... it seems a little calmer now ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 1:31 pm

The weather here will make its mind up! I went to post a birthday card early-ish and it was nippy but dry. Came out of the PO to a huge black cloud overhead, then the heavens opened and in the ten minutes of the last leg of my walk home I was drenched from head to foot! Now trying to get my Red Riding Hood coat dry, trousers and Ugg style boots! This time I have packed them full of scrunched up newspaper as recommended on here the last time they get a good soaking. Once dry they will be put away and pride of place by my front door will be my Viking Dry Boots.
Now we have brilliant sunshine!
My poorly neighbour, bless him, was discharged from hospital yesterday after over five weeks since he took a near lethal cocktail of prescription medication and alcohol. He has Help The Aged with him at the moment so I hope he gets all the help that he needs at this vulnerable time. He tells me before they would leave him yesterday, they completed raided his flat and confiscated any medication so that's good.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 7th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Afternoon all! :wave:
Been sleeping all morning again but it looks a good deal brighter out there than it did when I was coming home this morning when it was windy and horrid. hope those in really storm torn places have fared ok.

Thanks Chinch, it was a trouble-free journey and I remembered to visit travel news and the loo before leaving work this morning but did not forgo my 4.30am coffee :lol: . I am sure we have all sat in stationary traffic for ages before but yesterday's annoyance got me thinking. I was in the middle lane and if the call of nature had really got too much I had no suitable receptacle in the car and would have had to go to the hard shoulder. I have visions of the traffic starting to move and me being stuck on the far bank with my car parked in the middle of the M4 :? . I might start keeping a discreet receptacle in the car. The man in the car in front of me was fast asleep when the traffic started to move so would have woken up stationary in the middle lane of the motorway with traffic whizzing round him .. a scary thought!

Things are starting to sound quite Christmassy in Wildieland. A shame about the fruit Moira but Ratatouille's tree sounds beautiful.

Time for me to get moving, last nightshift tonight, a bitty day tomorrow where I will feel like a zombie then two day shifts at the weekend :evil: . All systems go to complete Christmas shopping next week - I think my chaotic family has decided what it is doing at Christmas and apparently I am entertaining on Boxing Day which I hadn't expected this year. I have booked my Sainsburys delivery slot :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 7th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Shewees have a good reputation EM. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shewee-SHEWEE- ... ms?ie=UTF8

Knackered after another day in Court but I think the end is in sight. The Judge is talking about the case being over by next Wednesday. We shall have to see.

Too wet and windy to take the dogs this morning, we'd all have got blown away. And I'm too tired to do it now. Fortunately they are both sound asleep.

The canteen at the Court is hilarious. How they get so many things wrong is a complete mystery. My favourite person is a woman who looks like Mrs Overall, runs around like Su Pollard on speed and has the brain of Anita from Dinnerladies. :o :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 7th, 2017, 3:54 pm

No problem about the fruit, I shall make up my own mixture, but it was nice having three different types of citrus peel without any effort.

I have just wrapped my present for tomorrows Secret Santa, our Mah Jong group is having its Christmas Lunch tomorrow :xtree:, I have ordered a festive Moussaka :lol:. It is a bit early but the Artemis Taverna is closing this weekend. This means no lace making there either, usually we would just take ourselves quietly upstairs but the boys have rented the place out to some film makers. Do not get excited about that, it is probably for local TV. I will let you know if we are going to feature in the next James Bond :lol:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 7th, 2017, 4:50 pm

earthmaiden wrote: The man in the car in front of me was fast asleep when the traffic started to move so would have woken up stationary in the middle lane of the motorway with traffic whizzing round him .. a scary thought!

That was me on the M25 a few years ago!! Went through the Dartford tunnel on the way home from site at 4.30pm and the traffic was stopped while an overturned tanker was recovered. The drivers began walking about and chatting for a while, but then it started to rain heavily. When the traffic started moving again at 7.00pm I was asleep in the car. But all the hooting woke me up!! :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » December 7th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:The canteen at the Court is hilarious. How they get so many things wrong is a complete mystery. My favourite person is a woman who looks like Mrs Overall, runs around like Su Pollard on speed and has the brain of Anita from Dinnerladies. :o :lol:

Must be a Harrow thing. I had weekly visits to Harrow some time ago to meet with contractors on site. After the meeting we decamped to a fish and chip cafe by N. Harrow station. The waitress was a bit "otherworldly". The dessert options were various fritters or tinned peaches and ice cream. Once I ordered the apple fritters and she came back some time later and asked me if ice cream would be OK as the peaches "didn't look right"...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » December 7th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Town this morning for essentials - gin ! Horrid heavy drizzle and sideways wind !!! Bought a trowel for Mr.Z. for crimbo and some special beer - he found the trowel whilst looking for my phone when the stove installers asked for photo of stove at the Pear Tree Inn. :rolleyes: They will quote in a week.

Fire now lit and fluffs all fed and bedded in until 7am tomorrow. Looking forward to my supper of BNS, Mexican Mole and some corn chips and maybe a flour tortilla.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » December 7th, 2017, 6:06 pm

off to see the 'live' screening of young marx, at the cinema in half an hour. it will be followed by a hop over to the 24 hour tesco to pick up on some essentials before i get to go and do a proper shop elsewhere in the next couple of days.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Completely random but Sue I was wondering what has happened re the meeces?

I only ask because one of our outside cats borught is a gift this morning

I had an abject apo;ogy from Amazon with a £10.00 voucher for the bad service and an assurance that "retraining was in progress!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 7th, 2017, 7:55 pm

The meeeces have gone very quiet :D
Possibly because they have eaten an inordinate quantity of bait - I will have to top up the bait stations (silicon cup cake cases in fact) - they are almost empty :o
The mouse proofers never got back to me, I wonder if I made a typo, as I didn't even get an automated thank you for contacting us so will try again in the new year if I need to
Johnny-the-builder has done some work on the vacant flat which may have deflected them a bit

Glad Amazon have responded to prodding
I complained to Hive (heating control app) about the lack of low vision friendliness in their last major update
I was clearly not alone, only about 3 or 4 weeks later they tweaked it "this version upgrade is to improve accessibility", obviously I wasn't the only complainer, but they had made exactly the changes requested and it really is the easiest version so far for the dim sighted to use . Kudos for speed and responsiveness
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 7th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Son and partner are safely back in Cardiff after a rather bumpy & delayed ferry and a bit of a hairy drive from Dover :D , suffice to say I'm incredibly relieved :D :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 7th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Good-oh ltc :D

I did wonder if storm Caroline would get in their way
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 7th, 2017, 8:16 pm

StokeySue wrote:Good-oh ltc :D

I did wonder if storm Caroline would get in their way

Thanks Sue- I don't think as bad as it is in Ayrshire but still pretty windy and the delayed ferry meant they hit rush hour. They are glad to be back in their flat and my son sounded a bit frazzled. They were for a quick something to eat, a shower and bed.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 7th, 2017, 10:25 pm

lTC :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2017, 10:29 pm

I imagine the channel crossings are a bit choppy ... The wind here is coming of the North Sea and howling in the chimneys :o
Night night folks Zzzzzzz
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 8th, 2017, 6:15 am

Zosherooney wrote: Mexican Mole and some corn chips

Make sure that they are not related to Somerset moles or you will have a tiny mariachi band on your lawn :lol:
Nice morning here, we are on our usual Friday trip to Pissouri .

Moira :mug:

Edited to say that Deb has just come into the kitchen wearing a pair of antlers. Christmas is coming :D
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2017, 7:20 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I think you may well be right Moira ... We have decided that today is the day for posting the Christmas cards :xtree:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 8th, 2017, 7:29 am

Morning all.
I want antlers! :lol:
My trip to town today will not be scuppered by getting caught in the rain again. Not that it's raining at the moment but give it time. My waterproof boots and umberjigger will be getting an outing. After yesterday's blast of cold rain my coat took all day to dry.
Does anyone know much about Warfarin? My Mum has to take it for life, and had her INR yesterday, and whilst the phlebotomist usually struggles to take her blood, this time it was flowing very easily. Apparently her diet has turned it too thin. She didn't know to keep her leafy green veg to a limit but she has been eating heaps of sprouts every day. My question is, if she eats loads of sprouts, could her GP not just lower her warfarin dose? I assume it is a lot more scientific than that!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2017, 7:39 am

Morning all! Just back from sitting in a queue on the M4 - again :evil: . It's closed this weekend which will be even worse.

I have bought Christmas cards but they won't be written until next week.

The antlers sound good! Tezza, is there a B&M store you can get to? I saw some on sale there the other day for a very low price.

I've no idea about the science of Warfarin but do know you must be careful with the list of foods they tell you to go easy on. If it were as simple as reducing the dose I doubt somehow that they would advise people to go easy on the greens, cheese etc. MIL was given a comprehensive list when she went on it, I hope your mum has one now.

Very tired but its SW this morning and I ought to put in an appearance. Think I'll nap for a couple of hours. I know that when I get home afterwards I will be hungry and tired so it may be a TV kind of afternoon. I caught a bit of a programme called Armchair Detectives earlier in the week, clues are presented gradually throughout the programme and you have to guess whodunnit, it looked quite good.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 8th, 2017, 7:50 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Does anyone know much about Warfarin? My Mum has to take it for life, and had her INR yesterday, and whilst the phlebotomist usually struggles to take her blood, this time it was flowing very easily. Apparently her diet has turned it too thin. She didn't know to keep her leafy green veg to a limit but she has been eating heaps of sprouts every day. My question is, if she eats loads of sprouts, could her GP not just lower her warfarin dose? I assume it is a lot more scientific than that!

I know a lot about Warfarin. There are several foods you should try and avoid. Broccoli is very bad, cranberry juice and grapefruit too and also offal. Chris was on it for years and they always knew when he'd been eating broccoli. He was very ill in March and afterwards his INR levels just would not settle. His memory worsened and in the end the Stroke Clinic intervened and said they thought the Warfarain was interfering with some of his other drugs. He's now been put on Rivaroxaban and the change is amazing. The difference in cost is also amazing. Warfarin (rat poison) is very cheap, Rivaroxaban isn't. I'm on it too. You have a blood test every 3 months and that's it.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 8th, 2017, 7:59 am

Good Morning wild ones. We had hail last night and the wind was blowing a hooly at 5am. Now it is just dark and very still. The local forecast is snow at 8am :rolleyes: we shall see. Has everyone put their Christmas trees up yet ? I am still resisting the urge to get mine out.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 8th, 2017, 8:16 am

That is very interesting re Warfarin, thanks both. I seem to remember being told categorically to avoid cranberry and grapefruit when I was on it and then madly craving it! I was never advised on offal though. Advice does generally seem to be a bit hit or miss on the subject. A horrible drug which lead to many medical problems for me including almost internally bleeding to death and five transfusions! I couldn't wait to come off it. The other drug sounds like a far better option. I wasn't aware that there was one.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » December 8th, 2017, 9:00 am

Morning all, just back from dark, depressive, stressful, cold & expensive Norway, I dislike that side of Europe in Winter, not as bad in Summer but still expensive.

I have to hunt for a body this afternoon, I've come home to big blue bottles everywhere so maybe a mouse corpse or a dead bird in a chimney, although Jess would normally tell me about such things :?

An entertaining weekend so lots of cooking, nice & warning cottage pie & veg with Dad tonight, a rib roast tomorrow night & a Thai inspired buffet for the football Sunday.

Happy Friday :D
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » December 8th, 2017, 9:29 am

Morning all :wave:

The weather is almost British today, ie dark wet and gloomy. We are going out for lunch and to do the last bits of shopping for presents to send to the UK - all edile. We've also got to redeem our loyalty points at the cave co-op.

The wether for Suday, and the arrival of Pere Noel is looking very very poor, including freezing rain! trouble is there is no optionof "If wet in the church hall! This eing Provence plan Bs dtn't exsist.

Norway is indeed expensive and very depressing - and not always just at this time of year Purps. I think the danes are better at coping but even so our good friends choose to live here. I think they might just be having second thoughts this morning.

Stay warm and dry everyone. good day for wrting those cards perhaps?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 8th, 2017, 9:45 am

Good morning everyone,
There is a little snow lying here, not much but it has hit frozen ground so lying. There is quite a bit round about. It's sunny at the moment so I'm psyching myself up to try and go to the bin without slipping. I have the heating on low and think it will be staying on today as due to hover around freezing all day then drop below this evening.

Repair man due back out again pm to replace the seal in my oven (again), was only done in August thankfully the repair was guaranteed for 12 months so no charge.
I was supposed to have a houseful this weekend but elder son's plans got put on hold due to the impromptu trip to Belgium and younger son is now not coming until tomorrow. He'll be basically just sleeping here as off for a day out with mates then back to Newcastle on Sunday. Still from the 17th I'll have offspring home until 2nd January so can't complain.
I've no idea about food yet, might make stovies or mince & mash. Then again might have pasta. Oh decisions....... Had planned to have a lonely homemade sausage roll I found lurking in the freezer for lunch but best leave it as Murphy's law would be it would be cooking when the repair man arrived. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2017, 10:15 am

Hello again ... welcome back Purps :wave:

I just popped out to post the cards and pick up food for the weekend rather than leave it until tomorrow when de-icing the car would be a strong possibility. We have a chicken, bacon, leeks, celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, Brussels sprouts and a Savoy cabbage ... along with our usual stock of dry goods we can withstand being snowed in for most of the winter with that lot with absolute no discernible improvement in our waistlines ;)

We have bright sunshine and wall to wall blue sky here Rats :duck: plus a chilly breeze.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 8th, 2017, 10:24 am

We have sunshine, too - but then we get more than the rest of the country, anyway.
Ratatouille's view of British weather may have a northern influence!
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 8th, 2017, 10:48 am

Bright blue skies here in the North West.........freezing cold though!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 8th, 2017, 10:51 am

Good morning

Re Warfarin, it should come with a Patient Information Leaflet (PIL), which is in the pack when it leaves the factory, but if a big pack is broken up you often don't receive the PIL. And most people don't read that little bit of folded paper, not appreciating that it is the info the government has agreed with the manufacturer that you need.

This is the current PIL for Warfarin, they are all on line
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/27301
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby mogatogs » December 8th, 2017, 10:57 am

Morning

We have about 4" of snow and it is -6 then you have to build in the wind chill factor :terrified: Forecast is for a lot more snow on Sunday, so gearing myself up for a trip to supermarket later today then stopping in, in front of the fire :hug:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 8th, 2017, 11:21 am

Thanks for the PIL Sue. I will share that with my Mum when I next see her. She was probably given this advice when she first started taking it but that was many years ago.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 8th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Back from our Christmas lunch in Pissouri, I always enjoy the one upping element on these occasions, we have been here fifteen years but have never lived anywhere in Arabia.
I mentioned earlier this week that the taverna was being used for filming. It was in progress in the top floor area. I saw a page of script, the directions were in Russian but the dialogue was in English. If I understood correctly one of the cast had just discovered a case of something that looked like bubonic plague :o , I shall probably never find out the ending :(

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » December 8th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Really thick snow here this morning, and frequent snow showers alternating with beautiful blue skies and sunshine. It’s all very pretty when the snow stops.
I don’t mind this sort of weather at all, but it has stopped our wonderful travelling fish man getting down here from Scrabster on the north coast. He promised the first of the cod roe today, and I was so excited. I don’t think I’ve ever had it before Christmas before. I love it, and I love the seasonality of it......not many things like that nowadays.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 8th, 2017, 2:43 pm

I too am back from a wonderful lunch. I had one of my absolutely favourite things - sweetbreads. The dessert was a deconstructed Mont Blanc. Another real joy!

We went to various places like the confiserie and everywhere we went we were told that the weather ws trop britanique!We also came away with, a box of confit clementines, bottles of red and white wines a bottle of truffle oil and a mini panetone. Not to mention the two glasses of champagne at the restaurant. I like this Christmas shopping thing!

Gd and GS are taking part in their schools production of Macbeth this week and their mum is on her way to Dorset to see the final performance this evening. The coincidence is that we have a photo of their GGPs when they were at school and in the same roles
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Oh Rats .............. deep deep envy ..... sweetbreads and Mont Blanc ................ I could die happy after a meal like that :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2017, 5:13 pm

I didn't bother with SW. I did get up from my nap because the doorbell went and there was a man wanting to read the meters - thank goodness I was dressed - but I was so tired after only an hour's sleep I went to bed afterwards and am having a lovely lazy day. An excellent decision, I know what I weigh and it's fine in comparison to last week :lol: .

I think I rather like your kind of Christmas shopping too Rats!

Not sure I really like the idea of Scandanavia in the winter. It sounds beautiful until you remember the continual gloom .. at least the sun peeps through here occasionally.

I'm thinking that maybe I will stay overnight near work tomorrow night. What with cold weather forecast and the M4 being closed all weekend it sounds an attractive option. I should have got some grocery shopping today but can't be bothered to get dressed decently enough to go out so there is an 'interesting' selection of options - another reason not to come home tomorrow night, I would have a long journey and have to get some shopping as well :rolleyes: .

Have loved reading back today .. such different weather conditions and antics .. :hug: :hug: :mug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 8th, 2017, 5:45 pm

I took today off work and headed into town for Christmas shopping.
It was reasonably successful.
The quickest way back to the car was to cut through M&S food hall where I was jostled and trampled by affluent retirees scrambling for the "Dine in for £10" deal :rolleyes:

I did see a woman trying on a full length fur fabric coat and swishing around like a film star, she looked amazing.
Her husband was beaming at her so I expect that's Christmas sorted.

As I drove home through fairly slow traffic I saw a dog, out with his mum, leaping at the low branches of a tree.
Then I looked again and he was swinging from a branch by his teeth :shock:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 8th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Evening all, nuther day with some garden jobs, a wheelbarrow of logs sawn, cleared more garden beds and deposited the waste on the property out of sight, cleaned the ckx. night quarters, buddy cold out a few snow flurries, came in and made braised red cabbage and red cabbage slaw.

Quick resting of eyelids and then heard the fish and chip bus arrive in the village so moussaka is now on the back burner for tomorrow evening and we wandered down to the pond where all the Crimbo lights are up and got a HUGE piece of cod and a large chips for supper. Mr. Z found a tin of peas dated 2012 at the back of my cupboard !!! :bounce: :bounce: :terrified: :terrified: :terrified:

Just chilling' around the fire tonight with 3 fluffs in attendance
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 8th, 2017, 7:12 pm

No more snow here thankfully, I hope all the Wildies in wild parts are well snuggled in. It's definitely sub zero outside and the wind is back and absolutely baltic so I dread to think what the wind chill is adding :shock:
I had to "virtually" (well by phone :) ) help my son's gf get set up with an appointment at her local fracture clinic. She was getting the run around between her GP's receptionist and the local hospital admin. Hospital were saying GP needed to confirm the need as it was a non UK accident and GP receptionist saying no the paperwork she had from Belgium was all she needed. The alternative was that she pitched up at A&E and sat it out! Poor lass was getting nowhere and is still feeling fragile. My son was at work and given he had just taken days off she didn't want to disturb him. I was politely assertive and eventually was passed to the Practice Manager who I have to say couldn't have been more helpful. Painkillers arranged to take her over the weekend, fit note sorted and she now has an appointment at the fracture clinic on Monday :) I'm glad I'm still good for something ;) . Thankfully one of her pals at uni has a Dutch speaking boyfriend so he will translate the paperwork at the weekend and get it stamped off by someone at the uni to confirm accuracy so she can take it with her to the appointment. Definitely one of these times when I wish they were nearer to me but hey ho we got there in the end.
Last edited by liketocook on December 8th, 2017, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Well done LTC. Several Brownie Points earned there :tu: pour yourself a reward :cocktail:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 8th, 2017, 8:52 pm

suffolk wrote:Well done LTC. Several Brownie Points earned there :tu: pour yourself a reward :cocktail:

Thank you - glass of red poured (after all it is the weekend!) :D
Just annoying that it was so complicated to set up something that you think should be quite straightforward and shouldn't take a "mammy" intervention :x
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 8th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Although our sky looked full of snow filled clouds, nothing fell, but the wind cut through you. A trip to the JC for me, another upsetting visit. I am told that there is a sanction on my file! This means I didn't give an adequate reason for not attending one appointment (physio, and I told them this in advance). But I have been told not to worry, it will be sorted, and then in the next breath, as I have been signed off unfit for work until March, I do not have to attend JC until end of February! I frustratingly got very upset in there...again!
I consoled myself by putting together a leek and potato soup which my neighbour bought the ingredients for and he had two great big bowls and loved it!
TV now until the z's set in!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Tezza :hug: try not to let it get to you. It's a rotten system but it's the one we have to work with at the moment. Keeping a diary of your JC visits, what was said and his you felt about it can be helpful. Sometimes if just helps to get it out and on paper and sometimes if might actually be useful if you need to make a complaint.

Now I'm snuggling under the duvet so sweet dreams all ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop