Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2017, 6:55 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
The moon is shining in our bedroom window ...so bright!
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 4th, 2017, 9:07 am

Morning all.
The moon was stunning early hours. There was movement up in the loft last night around 10pm and voices up there. I convinced myself that it must be the landlord and maintenance man so ignored and sunk myself into my film.
Chilly here, grey but dry. I may see my Mum today but other than that, rearranging a hospital appointment which clashes with another, defrosting and eating a UFO (veg stew I think) today will be relaxing....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 4th, 2017, 9:29 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The moon was spectacular last night wasn't it. This morning is clear bright and cold. have got the first load of washing out. Just hope it doesn't freeze solid!

Moira, I was presented with a signed copy of Delia's Christmas in 1990 by the local BBC station for winning MC that year. Of all her books I think it is the one I use most. I shall use her mulled wine recipe next weekend to welcome Pere Noel to the village!

I have my wheat seeds soaking ready to plant in their saucers. First thing to do to start christmas in Provence on Ste Barbe,
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby jrc » December 4th, 2017, 9:39 am

Morning all :hug:

I ache in places I didn’t know I had. Foot op is this coming Friday. My three girl friends are coming over to look after me :terrified:
Will try and post some pictures later today. :D
jrc
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 4th, 2017, 9:55 am

I have just booked the car in to be serviced, I cannot get it done until January, most unusual for Cyprus. George tells me that they are stock taking this week then the next two weeks are booked up. I think that I may try to contact the Renault garage in Paphos.
Deb is having Christmas lunch with her Monday morning group, I am left with responsibility of feeding Deb's cat at lunch time.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2017, 10:01 am

Good morning
Moira, cord seems to be making a comeback, Fiona sells vintage clothing and at the moment she can sell all the cord pinafore dresses she can get her hands on, she had a brown one almost the same as one my mum and I made in 68 or 69 :D
Mine is quite velvety, a simple shirt dress, long sleeves and just a short strip of buttons, not open all the way down
Fridge repair man today, think it has fixed itself, but as it lost me half a night's sleep it needs checking out
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2017, 10:02 am

Hello again ....... we're off into the city on the bus this morning ... last bits of present buying (Christmas and 3 birthday presents ... OH on 19th, DS on 22nd and a friend on Christmas Day itself. Then lunch and if my knee's behaving we'll go to the Castle museum and see the exhibition of Rembrandt's etchings and paintings. After that OH can pick up his repaired bike and I'll come home on the bus.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 4th, 2017, 10:51 am

Morning Wildies :wave: :luv:

Sorry I'm not posting much at the moment. All a bit up in the air what with one thing and another. Will get back into the swing of things when I can.

Like Scully, I'm on cat sitting duty today, for friends who are currently in Salzburg doing a Christmas Market. They're flying home later. I shall combine the visit to their house with taking some parcels to the post office whilst it's comparatively quiet.

Suffs- hope you and The Artist enjoy your day. Mr S and I are going to Tate Modern on Sunday which I'm very much looking forward to.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » December 4th, 2017, 11:43 am

The moon is shining in our bedroom window

Same here but I think it was H bent over hunting his slippers :lol:

Hope things settle soon Seat :hug:

Just a flying visit from me, very busy at work, roll on the 15th when I can switch off for Christmas 8-)
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby liketocook » December 4th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
I've had a bit of a "non-morning", I was up and showered as usual and then my dad popped round and then I went back to bed for a bit as my balance was iffy. Breakfast was toast & banana and I'm currently scoffing lentil soup for lunch. I'm not sure about tonight possibly curry from the freezer :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 4th, 2017, 1:42 pm

I posted here earlier - so I thought - but it's disappeared :rolleyes: .

Will just say :wave: :wave: :wave: :hug: :hug: :hug: to all - with commiserations :hug: , congratulations :cocktail: and good wishes to all for a reasonable Monday.
I'm on nightshift tonight. Am going to do some shopping en route.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » December 4th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Afternoon All

Lovely moon here too last night.

Had a very busy weekend with visitors, just had a bowl of veg soup made with the leftover veggies, have to say it was :drool: They are very heavy drinkers, but I avoided all temptation and stayed alcohol free all weekend, even though I kept being told one wouldnt hurt me :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby jrc » December 4th, 2017, 3:10 pm

ED01D2AF-D789-47CB-9A8A-0976FE69E578.jpeg

I still ache. :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2017, 3:48 pm

:tu: jrc (though :td: for the ache)

Well the fridge man has been and gone
The problem is the door seal which fitted so badly ice was forming on the defrosting fan, this is apparently a known issue with fridge freezers.
It has been tweaked and is sitting quietly

I am hanging (in stages) a large picture wish ne luck, probably won't actually raise it aloft until tomorrow as I want to fill and touch in the scars of previous hangers
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 4th, 2017, 4:03 pm

Very late today :oops: Have been to my 'other' house, done washing and it is dry !! Brought the wood in for the fire. I arrived home to a note saying Mr. Z had gone 'shopping'. Solicitor has called and answered various questions about the Swiss side of Dads stuff. POA has been printed, signed, witnessed and popped into the post. Remoulade has been made and supper sorted. Wuzzle is demanding his supper and it's time to light the fire. Oh yes, we have a new black teapot with smart metal infuser, part of my Crimbo pressie I think... :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Such a lovely day ... a bit of Christmas shopping ... lunch with OH in The Lamb ... then to the Castle Museum to see an exhibition of Rembrandt's etchings (and a couple of paintings) :D . OH then picked up his newly repaired bike (£150 of repairs :shock: ) and came home and I came home on the bus ... while I was waiting I saw the mum of a family I worked with ... so nice to see that she and family are doing well, and meet the latest addition to the family ... it really made my day :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 4th, 2017, 6:29 pm

i had the mental picture of you getting a 'backie' home!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2017, 6:40 pm

We call it 'a seatie' :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 4th, 2017, 6:49 pm

i'm not sure we had a word for it where i grew up but my partner called it a 'backie' where he did so that's what you got.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 4th, 2017, 7:02 pm

‘Backies’ in Yorkshire too.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2017, 7:12 pm

If you can bear to get to Page 2 you'll find that my memory served me right ... in Suffolk it's a seatie :D

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... thing-else
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 4th, 2017, 10:28 pm

I remember backies!

Jrc - lovely photo! I must do a Santa run next year if I can get my back better. Last time I did my back falling top to bottom down the stairs sleep walking I watched and then did The Great North Run the following year, that determined was I to get fit again.

Today was a chilli spud in Sainsbury's with Mum. The new staff kid on the block tried to charge us 15p each for a pat of butter. Yeah, think again mate! This evening most of my planned TV programmes have been interrupted by our roof aerial having a booster fitted. Nothing to moan about there if it enhances our signal.

I am pooped!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » December 4th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Chinchilla_lady wrote:They are very heavy drinkers, but I avoided all temptation and stayed alcohol free all weekend, even though I kept being told one wouldnt hurt me :lol: :lol:

Very well done Chinch! I wish I had your willpower. :?

(And a ‘backie’ for me too, from NE)
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 5th, 2017, 6:13 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I see that we have had a visit from Santa, are the sun glasses a disguise, Sharon?
I have to go into Paphos this morning which is a nuisance, I may go via the Old Road, the coast road as it is more interesting if very hilly.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 5th, 2017, 6:39 am

Good morning,
When daylight comes I plan to admire my Christmas scene which I made last night and which my neighbour stuck up on the wall for me via step ladder. So far an angel complete with hovering halo and a bright star are up. These are made with cardboard wrapped in kitchen foil. They looked good last night in the half dark but think they will show up better against cream walls when it brightens up, and I might make some more stars or maybe cardboard covered in coloured paper to represent holly sprigs. So, time to rescue any good cardboard from my recycling before it gets turfed into the wheelie bin later.
That's my only plan for today although I may eat along the way! :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 5th, 2017, 6:56 am

Kyriacos has just visited, he was here to check the kitchen ceiling after last weeks rain. He will organise the repainting of the damaged walls.

Yesterday evening I was watching one of the Food Channels whilst waiting for something else. There was an American woman who is new to me, she was making Christmas nibbles including Brussel Sprout Crostini :!: The Brussels were shredded, put under the broiler, mixed with cranberries then put on top of Ricotta topped crostini. Brussels on Toast :sprout:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » December 5th, 2017, 7:29 am

Just finishing my second :mug: before jetting off to a meeting in Norway, might fit in a -5 Christmas market tonight, where did I put my scarf & gloves 8-)

I hope my tyre stays up, I have a temperamental air leek, it will stay up for weeks then just when I don’t need it, go flat :evil: the tyre fixer says it’s fine :rolleyes:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby jrc » December 5th, 2017, 7:51 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones, I see that we have had a visit from Santa, are the sun glasses a disguise, Sharon?
I have to go into Paphos this morning which is a nuisance, I may go via the Old Road, the coast road as it is more interesting if very hilly.

Moira :mug:

Nope, they are just my regular ones with reactions lenses. I am hoping to resize one of the photos Bob took. All of us. There were between 750-800 of us. :D
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 9:14 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
We've slept in :shock: !!!
Purps ... Possibly a dodgy valve?
Have a good trip ... Have you found your gloves?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 5th, 2017, 9:46 am

Just in case it my help someone, I mention I was chatting with my older sister on Sunday, she mentioned her husband's IBS had improved after taking Kijimea - he was taking two tablet a day, now only one and his GP is following his progress with more than a little interest. Not available on the NHS and initially wasn't cheap, I notice Amazon are selling them for about £29 for 28 tablets.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 5th, 2017, 9:47 am

suffolk wrote:Good morning all
We've slept in !!!

Lucky you, I woke up at stupid o'clock and couldn't get back to sleep
I've had a nice breakfast of scrambled egg on toast and I feel very tired now
Will potter on, have laundry to do and my walk will be a trip to Argos to get a new smoke alarm, as I sent the old one flying, not a unhappy as at the time I bought the last one I couldn't get one with a hush button, and it has been driving me nuts for several years :D

Purps, I'd make the trip to Kwik Fit or wherever if I were you , if it decides to speed up it could do damage

cyprusmoira wrote:There was an American woman who is new to me, she was making Christmas nibbles including Brussel Sprout Crostin

Pioneer Woman is making canapes - she just put cold cooked spinach tortellini onto skewers with mozzarella and cherry tomatoes :? Looked pretty but...

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2017, 10:11 am

Morning everyone :wave:

We didn't sleep in but have been really busy since we got up. In januarty our carpenters are coming to fit shelves and cupboards under the staicase to the next floor. So the old computer corner cupboards - which looks so old fashioned but is only about 12 years old, has to be emptied. We decided to take the anglepoice halogen light into the cellar to illuminate the corners where light goeth not!.

Next we have to get the Christmas tree put up in the verandah and at least the lights on it so that Sonia can clean in there tomorrow while we're shopping. It has to be up before the weekend because Pere Noel will want to inspect it :lol: :lol: I'll see to the rest next week.

Moira we have had an outbreak of climbing santas on the newer houses. Not to mention inflatable snowmen and illuminated reindeer - I'm afraid taste is rather lacking when it comes to Chrismas deccies in these parts! As you said, they'll probably still be there at Easter!

It was incredibly cold this morning but the sun is shining from a blue blue sky
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 10:13 am

I just can't do cold pasta .......... :sprout:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 5th, 2017, 10:17 am

I don't mind a pasta salad with a decent dressing, but cold tortellini?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 5th, 2017, 10:20 am

Good Morning Wild ones. It is not as cold today and for once not raining <wisperingsmiley> I have been down to the surgery to drop off my repeat script, I must set it up electronically, I keep forgetting to take it in :rolleyes: The TV aerial has decided to pack up so I am waiting for a nice gentleman to come and sort it out for us. Looks like we may need a new one as this was put up in 2003 before digital or so OH tells me, more expense. :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 10:22 am

StokeySue wrote:I don't mind a pasta salad with a decent dressing, but cold tortellini?

Nope ... don't do pasta salad :sprout:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2017, 10:22 am

scullion wrote:i'm confused.
why would you buy this when for another five grand you could buy this and live there all the time ? (and have another place to put people up at the bottom of the garden if necessary).

Your right Scully ..., I'll take that second one please ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 10:32 am

Good morning everyone,

We have had a bit of an upset, quite literally for my son's partner who came off her bike late yesterday afternoon. She's cut her eye and broken her arm but was lucky as it could have been much worse. To complicate things she's currently in Belguim studying so my son is now on his way to get her. He's driving which makes me a bit as he only passed his test in September but fortunately he has managed to get a ferry to Dunkirk so it's only about 100km on the motorway from there. I'll be on tenterhooks though until they are both safely back in Cardiff!

Today's cleaning challenge will be the front porch and if it stays dry the front windows. Neither are big jobs but no doubt as always will take me ages. Yesterday I ended up gutting my bedroom I managed to drop my favourite bookmark under my bed and managed to lodge it even further under trying to retrieve it. Ended up hauling the bed out, not an easy task as it'a heavy wooden frame and oh what a lot of stoor there was :oops: , dealt with that which of course showed up how dusty the skirting etc. was and so on...... Still it was a job that was obviously well overdue in needing doing so good to get it done :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 10:40 am

Ouch LTC ... hope she's feeling better soon ... after this expedition your DS will be able to tackle anything :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 10:42 am

suffolk wrote:Ouch LTC ... hope she's feeling better soon ... after this expedition your DS will be able to tackle anything :tu:

Thanks suffs, yes he's a confident (though not cocky) guy, drove here from Cardiff a couple of weeks after he passed his test. I'm just hoping he's not underestimated how tricky it's going to be
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 10:47 am

My aunt's father made her drive from Bedfordshire to Edinburgh and back on her own as soon as she'd passed her test (back in the late 50s). He booked her into hotels on the way ... her mother had passed her test and then never driven anywhere because she was frightened to do it alone.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 10:50 am

suffolk wrote:My aunt's father made her drive from Bedfordshire to Edinburgh and back on her own as soon as she'd passed her test (back in the late 50s). He booked her into hotels on the way ... her mother had passed her test and then never driven anywhere because she was frightened to do it alone.

Sounds sensible, my great aunt never drove further than a couple of miles from her home as traffic made her "nervous" :rolleyes:
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 5th, 2017, 11:01 am

StokeySue wrote:she just put cold cooked spinach tortellini onto skewers with mozzarella and cherry tomatoes

Things like that make me yearn for a honey/mustard grilled chipolata :drool:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 5th, 2017, 11:11 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
why would you buy this when for another five grand you could buy this and live there all the time ? (and have another place to put people up at the bottom of the garden if necessary).

I'll take a guess - because the people who buy the first one, already own the second one. The first is their long term investment.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 5th, 2017, 11:40 am

LTC, I'm sure you son will be fine :hug: :hi5:
Remind them that she needs to make an immediate appointment with her GP / local. hospital however good she feels so she gets into the UK NHS well ahead of Christmas, I've known people put these things off too much

dennispc wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:

I'll take a guess - because the people who buy the first one, already own the second one. The first is their long term investment.

I think the first one is aimed at people who won't live there full time, and just want a lock up, whereas the second is a home
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 11:56 am

Thanks Sue, I've advised her to get in touch with her GP, they are here over Christmas so will if need be set her up as a visitor here :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » December 5th, 2017, 12:28 pm

The first is only on holiday let terms. I shouldn't think a park home would be a long term investment. And that site isn't next to the sea, either.
I see that the cottage is under offer.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Hello everyone :wave: :wave: :wave: I have snuck in a couple of comments, but it has taken me over 2 hours to catch up with you all

I got back from my 12 days in Kerala last night ... an amazingly speedy time from landing, passport control and then baggage collection ...no more than 45 mins in total :o :tu: :bounce:

I had a lovely time, the only downside being the length of the flight from LHR to Mumbai going out and Delhi to LHR coming home ... 9+ hours :cry: :td: :sprout: ...and the coach travel between destinations along with the constant horn blaring from every road user, the daring under/overtaking and lack of any consideration for other drivers - also lots of hairpin bends and long steep hills !!! ... But saw some wonderful sights and ate some delicious food - no English food available for lunch or dinner, only porridge a couple of mornings, with toast and even 'baked beans' morning. I have put some of my adventures and photos on a closed facebook group .. no use if you don't use facebook, but if you do and what to see, then let me know and I will add you as a member .. We also stayed at some wonderful hotels too .. all 5* apart from the night on the Houseboat in Alleppy .. Best place for food was Casino Hotel in Kochin; best for atmosphere was River Retreat (forgotten where now). Our last 2 nights were spent in Trivandrum where earlier in the week they were hit with a tropical storm that has killed up to 19 fishermen, with more missing and loss of several boats.

Sitting in the shop now and getting to grips with jet lag, but have coped by just sitting here and catching up with you lot.

Oh, I bought some best grade cinnamon sticks and a little gadget that apparently (easily?) makes noodles ... seemed to good to be true and a bargain about a £1 (one pound) I will report back.

Forgot to add that I also bought Spice Drops as recommended by Gattodisonno ... looking forward to trying them :tu: :chef:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on December 5th, 2017, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Good to see you back from your adventures Patsy ... glad you had a marvellous time ... I'm not a Fbooker so I'll just have to make do with what you tell us on here.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2017, 12:54 pm

I could start a new thread, with photos, then at least it's there to read or not ?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop