Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXIX Piran

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 12:57 pm

:tu: :tu: :tu: :D :D :D :luv:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Glad you had a wonderful time Pat. Welcome back :wave: :hug:

No cold, or hot for that matter, pasta here thanks.

Tree up and lights upon it. However the cat thinks it is woderful so it may not make it until 12th night!!

Sorry to hear about the accident ltc however the knight in shining armour akna DS will sort it all out I'm sure. I'm sure he is glad to be ableto do it.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 5th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Welcome Home Patsy :wave: :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 5th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Glad to read you had a good time, Patsy. Anyone even vaguely interested in food seems to love Kerala.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 5th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Afternoon all! :wave:
Lovely to have you back Patsy - the trip looked wonderful and a real experience. I think that taking the rough with the smooth makes for a well-rounded idea of life in a faraway place!

Chinch - well done on your continuing abstinence; jrc - a lovely Santa pic!; ltc - so sorry to hear about the accident. I thin it's a good diea to bite the bullet and drive on the 'wrong' side of the road when you are young ... it's not something I care to do, my brain doesn't work that way.

It seems to be a season for bringing out very dodgy canape recipes! However, Catherine has just reposted a sprout recipe that Monikka posted last year and I would happily eat it on toast! I have my annual Christmas pot luck supper to go to next week and haven't even thought about what to take yet.

Very dull and overcast here today. A good morning for sleeping, although someone rang the doorbell at 11am :evil: . There was no further knocking or note put through so I suspect it was a parcel delivery person trying to find someone in the street who was in to take in a parcel. Glad I didn't get up. Time to have some breakfast now and get ready for the joys of the night ahead. Traffic round here is a joke at the moment - I seem to have to leave much earlier than usual to get though road works and diverted traffic .. clever idea to plan it for the pre Christmas rush :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Good evening everyone,
I spoke to my son just as he was leaving Dover, now heading to Calais rather than Dunkirk! I'm sure he'll be fine driving on the "wrong side" juat wish he wasn't doing it in the dark. I shall be mightily relieved when I hear he has got there. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 5th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Evening all,
I'd love a Kerala thread Patsy as I don't often go into FB.
Although I like pasta both hot or cold I just can't anyone putting any form of pasta on a skewer! What a weird idea!
Funny TV aerials have been mentioned. Since I have lived in this block of four bedsits I have been the only one with an aerial socket that works well 100% of the time. The landlord has been up in the loft two evenings running but my downstairs neighbour just popped up for a pinch of gravy granules and told me his TV is not working at all. I hope mine doesn't go off! Master chef's on!
Now, DWP expect me to be signing on and seeking work when my GP has signed me off as unfit for work until March at least! Well, fed up with not having room for a Christmas tree in here really, and having lots of art and craft materials, I decided to make one! Sitting on the bed I cut out a tree shape in card, covered in coloured paper, daisy stickers, made a kitchen foil covered star for the top, draped in lametta and stuck tiny baubles on it. I also cut out a ridged brown card bucket for the base and tied a ribbon around it. My neighbour stuck it up where I wanted it on the wall. It looks magical even if I did do most of it left handed! It's only about a foot tall. I spread out the task over about three hours on and off and now I can barely move my back or arm. So I know that if I had any sort of job whilst undergoing physio and rheumatology check ups, blood tests and other stuff, I wouldn't last five minutes. That would look good on my CV eh? I text my Mum about the tree. She tells me she's been out and bought me a two foot tree complete with decorations! :lol: So I will be a two tree bedsit-hold, greedy me! :lol:
I just had veggie Bolognese and garlic bread, then gravy granule man downstairs bought me up a huge plate of chicken roast dinner! Not one to refuse free food I think I'll let it go cold then use the chicken in sandwiches and the veg and spuds can go into making a soup! That's tomorrow's food sorted! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2017, 7:41 pm

I am a bit cross. I have an outstanding order from Amazon, A couple of days ago I spent 2 hours cancelling an order which was going to arrive far too late - did that. Now one I made more than 3 weeks ago which i haven't got yet comes up as delivered - but on dufferent days each time I look. After struggling to get some sense today they had the cheek to ask if I trusted our postman (who happens to be a ladye).

I can't catch her tomorrow as we will be out but I don't want to confront her anyway - how insulting. If it doesn;t arrive tomorrow we'll ring the main office - who, it has to be admitted are not known for their efficiency.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Ooh I wouldn't be too happy confronting my postie! I feel Amazon's reputation is sliding somewhat. Probably the reason for their tirade of adverts at the moment.

My landlord has fifteen minutes to fix our aerial or I will not be pleased. Why he can't do these jobs during the day when TV is rubbish is beyond me. He's on the landing in the dark (lights still out of action) nattering to his small son. I feel like saying 'Get up that ladder and get that job done!' Now he's chatting on his mobile.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 7:52 pm

My son made it without any mishaps :D :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » December 5th, 2017, 7:58 pm

liketocook wrote:My son made it without any mishaps :D :D

Yayyyyy! Now you can relax.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 8:01 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:

Yayyyyy! Now you can relax.

Yes I've been feeling a bit anxious all day so very relieved :D :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 8:14 pm

:D :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 5th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Phew.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 9:06 pm

miss mouse wrote:

Phew.
:tu: :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 5th, 2017, 9:16 pm

liketocook wrote:
miss mouse wrote:

Phew.
:tu: :D

Double, triple, and even quadruple phew with chocolate, whipped cream & sprinkles! :chops:

:hug:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 5th, 2017, 9:19 pm

' course he did - young man on a mission! Bet she was glad to see him
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 9:31 pm

She was indeed had a lovely FaceTime with them both :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 5th, 2017, 10:51 pm

Well done LTC's son. :hi5: Good news.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 6th, 2017, 6:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we have rain showers here but I did remember to put out the recycling bags.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 6th, 2017, 6:30 am

Good morning Moira and other Wildies,

Not overly happy this morning. They had a closure on the M4 overnight and something they were using broke down. The result is that the M4 is still closed so I and many others are sitting in a huge stationary queue instead of going anywhere. Means I will miss getting the rubbish outside in time for the dustman. I'm also regretting the extra drink I had before leaving :? .

Hope everyone else wakes up to a better day!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 6th, 2017, 7:39 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
RIP Johnny Hallyday :(
Hope the queue gets moving soon EM

Making an early start here ... taking OH to the dentist for an extraction ... apparently it's a complex one and there will be two dentists attending to him ... we'll park at John Lewis and I'll wait in the cafeteria for him. I'll take my book ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 6th, 2017, 8:03 am

Good morning
Yes, RIP Johnny, just listened to Noir c'est Noir (Black is Black), he definitely needed a better backing band

Good look with the traffic em and with the tooth The Artist

Need to go to Holloway, didn't go to Argos yesterday as the little fan heater I want is out if stock here, so I've ordered and paid on line. I like doing that as I don't have to contend with their catalogues and screens in store, and I know they have it.

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 6th, 2017, 8:08 am

Hi Patsy :wave: Nice to have you back. Yes please, can we have a Kerala thread ? Would love to hear all about it.....

EM, Did you think that Kew was good value for money ?

2 weeks ago I tried to book Treasure Island the Panto at the Wharf theatre, it was fully booked but left my contact details just in case. We have now got a cancellation so shall be going to the Panto after all !!!

LTC glad to hear that the journey was a success :tu:

Oil delivery today 600 litres should see us through to this time next winter.

Nuther molehill !!!! :evil:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 6th, 2017, 8:13 am

Good morning wild ones. Welcome back Patsy, hope you had a good time. :tu: I am looking forward to the pictures :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 6th, 2017, 8:26 am

Home at last! I did miss the dustmen though :evil: . Over 2 hours with what should have been a 45 minute trip - can't wait to snuggle down in bed.

Zosh - Kew was a Christmas treat for me and DD and her fella and a nice excuse to meet up. We went out to eat first and it was all part of a lovely evening. Of course it isn't cheap but one of the best - we loved it - I think they said the walk was a mile. If you go by car (easiest for you as well as me I suspect) there is pre-booked parking for £7. I arrived at 4pm to avoid the rush hour traffic and meet DD and there were free spaces available on Kew Green so I would recommend trying that but you would have to arrive at 4pm rather than later, that's when many people are leaving and others arriving.

Have a good day - and I hope The Artist gets lots of TLC after his nasty extraction!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 6th, 2017, 8:49 am

Morning all.
A late start for me after sleeping log like! Who was it recommended I listen to the radio at bed time? Hmmm....it would work if I didn't start getting involved in heated phone ins! :lol: I think I should switch from LBC to Classic FM!!!
I didn't even hear the bin men come early hours and this does usually wake me up.
My fortnightly food and essentials shop with Mum at midday. I do look forward to it rather than getting dribs and drabs round here. Then Mum will help me put my two foot tree up. Better start working out where it is going to live!
Have fun all.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 6th, 2017, 9:06 am

Ok, I will start a dedicated thread about Kerala as soon as I have a minute. Still getting over jet lag, so every time I sit down, I fall asleep.. then keep waking in the night, but nothing really new there ;) I am off soon to my Wednesday Fitsteps class .. I don't think I will be working up much of a sweat though as I feel too sluggish, but hoping that this will kick start getting my fitness levels back. I had a lazy day yesterday, but did do my normal Tuesday stint in the shop .. ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 6th, 2017, 10:07 am

The wind has changed here, it is now a northerly, this means that it has come across the snowy Anatolian plateau. I have given in and donned my socks.
Deb is making me some Winter tops, I have just stopped for a fitting and the reassurance that the baggy bit in the front will pleated.

Edited to add that the ski club webcam shows snow on the mountains

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 6th, 2017, 11:11 am

We have returned ... it took two dentists!!! OH is resting ... I will make soup and fish pie ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 6th, 2017, 11:17 am

Good morning everyone,
Suffs- Glad OH's extraction is over, soup and fish pie sound just the ticket :)
It's beginning to get very wet and windy here with fierce gales due later. I slept really poorly last night so I'm feeling decidedly under par this morning. I think a gentle day is needed and further cleaning can wait. ;)
Elder son and his partner have decided to wait until tomorrow to come back. By the time they got everything done today they would be pushing it to make the 6pm ferry and didn't want to end up having to stay in Calais.
Breakfast was the usual toast & fruit and I think it will be eggs some way for lunch. I was thinking pasta for later but haven't fully decided.
liketocook
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 6th, 2017, 12:40 pm

I am back. Been on the common with the beasts, they are now curled up on the sofa. It's looking a bit murky outside now and the temperature has dropped considerably.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 6th, 2017, 1:56 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

As you can imagine the whole country is in deep distress over Johnny. Never cared much myself - I'm more a Jacques Brel girl myself. However there are a lot of very upset ladies round here today.

Glad you got home EM and your son ltc - I had every confidence.

It's a gorgeous but very cold day here. Mont Ventoux is completely covered in snow and was sparkling in the morning light.

Amazon/la Poste have finally admitted my parcel is lost. I have had to go to the problem of claiming a refund and reordering - then they wanted to charge me for the postage again!!

Give The Artist a cheering up hug from us. Hope he isn't too bruised and battered. Arnica may help.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 6th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Rats :D Two substantial helpings of squash and ginger soup seem to be aiding recovery ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 6th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Afternoon all, We had some hours spent in the garden, clearing geraniums and limbs of budleia(sp). Delivery of oil but...... the lorry managed to bend the metal arch over the drive and one of the brick pillars is now a leaning tower of Pisa. The oil delivery company are happy for me to supply 2 quotes for correction of problem :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Another matchstick on the pile of other things that need dealing with.

Rats any chance of a photo of Mount Ventoux ??? sounds lovely, we are promised some rain and high winds in the next 48 hours. We are well on with winter garden jobs....

Mr. Z has popped to the PO to post some letters. The Swiss are causing problems with closing Dad's account, a case of different departments not communicating with each other ! :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 6th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Well I survived my Fitsteps class and after our usual coffee at a local pub in Denham Village to re-charge the batteries, I decided to pop along to my local Lidl as I needed some mincemeat that will be adulterated for my mince pies ... so how did I spend £64 then :?: :o :aww: :? ... That will be the velvet leggings; silvery scarf; Peanut and coconut butter; Ossau Iraty cheese; Ham hock paté with apple chutney; crayfish tails; Wild partridge breast; Crab Paté, not to mention 2 pots of hyacinths and other mundane items like lettuce, tomatoes, oatcakes, bags of nuts, etc. 8-) :lol: Now I know why I keep these visits as a special treat ! ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 6th, 2017, 3:22 pm

I do that Patsy, I only need some milk and the bill is horrific !!!!! I am their ideal sort of customer !!!

On hyacinths.... I bought 5 bulbs for a quid and have 3 of dark purple and 2 of a light blue. The blue are for us and the 3 is for the lady at my other house..... They are presently sat in my utility with 2 inches of green up and the flower sprout just starting to show. They should smell divine later on...
Last edited by Zosherooney on December 6th, 2017, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 6th, 2017, 3:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Patsy - that's why I ration trips to Lidl too!

Pleased to hear that your son's journey went well ltc - another string to his bow!

Glad to hear that The Artist is recovering suitably with his kind nurse on hand!

Doesn't look as though it brightened up much at all today. Unsurprisingly I slept until quite late and now will have to dash round to get ready. I have just watched the second episode of the Paul Hollywood ego trip. He does seem to be quite good at his job but I was surprised to learn that he is only 51.

Leaving early for work today - I am aiming for one journey this week when I don't get held up in awful traffic but judging by the number of roadworks going on in Wiltshire and Berkshire at the moment don't hold out much hope. :evil:

Toodleoo :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 6th, 2017, 3:38 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Ossau Iraty cheese; Ham hock paté with apple chutney; crayfish tails; Wild partridge breast; Crab Paté,
Cypriot branches of LIDL sell none of these items, just pork in endless variations. I was talking about LIDL with friends earlier today, all the dedicated cooks find that shop is the best source of high quality chocolate for cooking, I find that their nuts are excellent.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 6th, 2017, 3:40 pm

liketocook wrote:Elder son and his partner have decided to wait until tomorrow to come back. By the time they got everything done today they would be pushing it to make the 6pm ferry and didn't want to end up having to stay in Calais.

Sensible decision.

suffolk wrote:it took two dentists!!! OH is resting

Grim stuff. The poor artist. Get better soon

It is cold out there and getting colder, wrap up well everyone.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » December 6th, 2017, 6:03 pm

the wind is beginning to rise, here. it'll be on its way upcountry soon.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 6th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Zosherooney wrote:2 weeks ago I tried to book Treasure Island the Panto at the Wharf theatre, it was fully booked but left my contact details just in case. We have now got a cancellation so shall be going to the Panto after all:

Oh no you won’t! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 6th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Evening
Just about to depart for my chouette (not alittle owl Rats, but a group backgammon game)
Went to Holloway, got my fan heater and new smoke alarm, came back, put up hooks to rehang picture and discovered the pictured had slipped out of the mount, so it will have to go back to the framer tomorrow.
Bought 2 vests in M&S :tutu:
Went to Waitrose and bought some bits and bobs (Lidl on Tuesday :o)

Have a good evening
An oriental lady in Waitrose asked me which potatoes she needed for mash, I gave her a bag of Maris Piper and told her to cook them gently so they didn't get waterlogged
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » December 6th, 2017, 6:20 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Toodleoo

After this mornings journey make sure you go "to the loo" before you leave EM :lol: :lol:

Hope your trip is better tonight.

Best wishes to The Artist, hope he is recovering well :hug:

The car is back at the garage, the new clutch is sticking :( :(

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby scullion » December 6th, 2017, 6:38 pm

how's this for a conflict of patterns in rooms!
(maybe because the pub is at the end of the garden).
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 6th, 2017, 8:13 pm

A trifle busy :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 7th, 2017, 4:08 am

Morning all,
I did my main fortnightly food shop with Mum yesterday so my fridge, freezer, cupboard and loo roll shelf are fully stocked! Mum then bought me a two foot Christmas tree and a bag full of enough decorations to adorn a six footer! Somehow we managed to get 100 fairy lights, two lengths of tinsel and about thirty baubles on it! I am well chuffed with it.
Two busy weekends were announced last night. One being a trip to my Uncle's cottage where a local villager dresses as Santa and is taken round to all the cottages on a sleigh (tractor) collecting money for charity. Uncle usually lays on a very decent spread and there will be loads of kids. Second will be a trip back to my home town with my Dad to stay with his Brother's family. We stayed with them about six weeks ago and it was an absolute hoot! Can't wait!
All I have to do today is post a birthday card and catch up with the sleep that I am not getting as I type this!
The wind is really howling out there so will be interesting to see what's been blown around the street when it gets light!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 7th, 2017, 6:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, it sounds as if those Wildies living in northern Britain should be battening down the hatches. Cold and clear here, 4C below average temperatures.
I must get the Christmas cards sent off.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2017, 6:54 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Another early start here as I have a doctors appointment and will drop OH off at work to save him cycling today.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 7th, 2017, 7:21 am

Very damp and blowing a hooley here. Must get going soon, need to visit town for essentials, I do have to visit Lidls but hope I don't get carried away !! We need to be home by 1pm as a chap is coming from a stove installers to look at where we think we want it situated and to give us a quote. They seem very keen to see 'the beast from New Zealand' !!!!

Take care everyone who has to go out today
Zosherooney
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop