Moving home

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Moving home

Postby hickybank » November 5th, 2017, 5:05 pm

We have been married 50 years & still live in the same house we bought back then.
However tomorrow we are going down to Somerset for 2 weeks house hunting.
I don't know if we are exited or scarred witless, as having never moved we have no idea as to what the process is.
We are both saying if we find a place we both like we will go for it & this has never happened before.
We are looking in the Bridgwater area amd already have viewings booked.
I will let you know our decision when we get back
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Re: Moving home

Postby Catherine » November 5th, 2017, 5:28 pm

A fresh start can be a wonderful thing. Somerset is lovely and we often camp there in the summer. I especially love it around cheddar.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 5th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Good luck with it Hicky- I'm sure you and Mrs H won't regret it.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 5th, 2017, 5:37 pm

So glad we 'broke free'...... !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 5th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Its a very exciting thing to do but can be daunting too. Have you drawn up a list of must haves and desirables for both the house and area?

On our list for our last move were things like being on a bus route, village location, proximity to doctors surgery, village shop, pub etc. After drawing up a careful list we went completely off piste and live in a totally rural location without any of the above :lol: but it did focus us on what we needed in a home and what were red line items.

Good luck, enjoy yourselves but remember just because you are looking doesn’t mean you have to move.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 5th, 2017, 7:29 pm

It might be difficult to part with 50 years-worth of accumulation.
Or it might be liberating.

I moved 4 times in 9 years, my house contains no cr@p.
J might disagree.

I hope you find something really lovely.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 5th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Welcome to Somerset, though we don't live near Bridgwater. All the best to you both. You've just missed its carnival but there's one at Burnham on Sea tomorrow night.

Housing in Bridgwater will be cheaper than other parts of Somerset – massive new estates going up everywhere – same in North Petherton, Taunton, Wellington and no doubt elsewhere. Close to the M5 and Berry's do a daily coach service to London at a reasonable price. It's on an estuary, depending on your tastes not as attractive as other parts of the north coast, but is close to Exmoor if you like hill walking.

No idea about surgery, dentist and shops.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 5th, 2017, 7:43 pm

We would certainly have to have a ruthless clear out, at least the charity shops will do well
The move would be the easiest part as I worked for some time for a removal company & we still keep in touch
It is the rest of the move I am clueless about
hickybank
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 5th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Denn, we were watching the local news item on the carnival, seems a small fortune is spent most years on the floats and they do look fantastic - almost up to Brazils Rio carnival standard.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 5th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Bridgwater is near the North coast of the SW peninsula. But it might be on the South coast when the tide comes in!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby hickybank » November 5th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Thanks Dennis, we were down there last month & noticed how many new estates there are.
Not for us though but we do love walking & bird watching & loved the estuary's, so we will have a good look round before making our decision
hickybank
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » November 6th, 2017, 12:04 am

Make sure you ring round a few solicitors to get a competitive quote, then be cheeky and ask if they will knock some money off, you might get £50.00 plus VAT knocked off if you are lucky.

There will be a lot of form filling both for selling your house and buying another. If you go for leasehold you are likely to get hit with an extra surcharge, where I work it is up to £150 plus VAT other firms may charge more. Plus leasehold takes a bit longer and if you are selling leasehold you would have to pay for a Management Information Pack, the price of which can vary greatly.

You will have to provide original ID to comply with money laundering regulations usually Passport, Driving Licence and a recent utility bill/bank statement/council tax statement etc. It is amazing how many people post their passports and driving licences to us in the post, I always send them back recorded. What some people do is scan their ID and email it in to us if they cannot make it into the office.

The process for buying/selling generally takes 6-8 weeks however it can be done in a shorter timeframe but you will likely have to pay a lot more money for that.

If you need any help or advice with the legal process or the form filling drop me a PM and I will do my best to help :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 6th, 2017, 2:18 am

We have started cleaning up and selling stuff in preparation for moving in the next few months. A big down-size from a 4 acre property to a small terrace house - it should be finished sometime in December.
Apart from all the stuff we have to get rid of we are also moving a fair way - up to Queensland, so a bit over 2,000km :shock:
It's all very daunting, so I understand how you feel, but we have moved 4 times in the last 35 years so we have been through the process before. My biggest move was from UK to Australia :lol:
All the best with your house-hunting - hope it goes well :hug:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 6th, 2017, 8:06 am

What an exciting move Rainbow, whereabouts in Queensland are you heading to? My aunt and uncle did a similar kind of move to retire to the Queensland coast.

Good luck to you both.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » November 6th, 2017, 8:10 am

As most of you know I found selling very stressful, only took 6-7 weeks but I now need a few months "off" houses to recover.
I think my buyer didn't help the process though as he was a pain in the @rse :rolleyes: .

I wouldn't want to be stuck in a chain & if I was able I would consider selling & renting somewhere in the area I wanted to move to for 3 months or so, get a feel for the area & move at my pace. Good luck Hicky :hug:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby dennispc » November 6th, 2017, 8:49 am

Well if you like walking, you'll be able to pop along the coast to Minehead where the South West Coastal path starts, walk the canal to Taunton and plenty of birds on the Levels.

We don't think we've ever visited Bridgwater – for work I'd visit the college and once had an out patient appointment there but that's about it.

As for carnivals, enjoy the link (and searching for your house)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVm1Xo1FaqM
dennispc
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 6th, 2017, 9:00 am

Thanks everyone for your advice & best wished, just getting ready to leave, we have our first viewings booked for tomorrow.
see you all in a couple of weeks
terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » November 6th, 2017, 9:34 am

Remember to check, online, if your prospective purchase is on a floodplain.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 6th, 2017, 10:15 am

There are many online estate agents who do things for a fixed fee, not a %age. People like Purple Bricks...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » November 6th, 2017, 10:15 am

It was the best thing we ever did as well. To be fair though we did it the faitly easy way by having this house for several years before we sold up in the UK and moved parmanently. The seeling up was the stressfull bit.

I love Somerset. Mr R is of Wiltshire/ Somerset ancestry and his parents lived in various villages including Doulting (nr Shepton Mallet) Norton sub Hamden. Bruton and Axbridge. Funn ily enough DD is looking to move back to the Wiltshire/Somerset area in the very near future.

Good luck and I hope you will find the right home in the right place for you both
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 6th, 2017, 4:45 pm

scullion wrote:Remember to check, online, if your prospective purchase is on a floodplain.

Sensible advice and ask the locals. A well known flooding spot near us which badly effects a garden centre does not appear on the map.

For centuries the Somerset Levels were deliberately flooded to control winter rains which resulted in a layer of enriched silt giving lush green grass for summer feed. Simples - those ancient monks who drained them in the first place knew a thing or two.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 6th, 2017, 6:35 pm

How exciting! I presume you have watched 'Escape to the Country' enough to know that lowish maintenance is a damned good idea unless you want a noose round your neck as you get older!

I hadn't a clue about anything when I bought my house but it all went through like clockwork. I had been brought up to note flooding and geological faults so ended up at the top of a hill just beyond where the land slips :). I carefully noted a post box, bus stop and corner shop nearby so that if I was mildly incapacitated as I got older I could probably cope. 30 years later and only the post box remains :rolleyes: . A downstairs loo and possibly personal washing facilities would be a must for me now. Even the young can do things which prevent them getting upstairs for a while and it's so inconvenient. Oh, and good double glazing is excellent to cancel noise - but most people like to open their windows in the summer.

Hope you find just what you are looking for!

Edited to say, before you buy, actually try the hot water, the heating etc for yourself in all the rooms rather than assume they all work well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 6th, 2017, 7:20 pm

earthmaiden wrote:before you buy, actually try the hot water, the heating etc for yourself in all the rooms rather than assume they all work well.

Also check that all the drains, washbasins, baths, showers etc run freely :rolleyes: Surveyors seem not to do that.
Find out where the stop cock is ... open cupboards and look inside ... check the backs of the cupboards/kitchen walls etc.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Kacey » November 6th, 2017, 7:52 pm

We moved house in the summer, after 20yrs living in Birmingham we moved to Derby, after divorce its definitely the most stressful thing I've done. For what its worth, here's my advice:
Before putting your own house on the market, de-clutter and de-personalise as much as possible. I bought some huge watertight plastic storage boxes on wheels and stored surplus kitchen stuff and crockery in them, along with books I couldn't part with. Luckily we had several sheds in the garden to put them in.

We gave every room a new lick of paint and re-grouted the kitchen and bathrooms tiles - small stuff but made everywhere look that bit fresher.

I went to Wilkos and bought new throws, cushions and lamp shades, again, cheap as chips but made a big difference.

Research, research, research! We went to Derby for regular weekends long before we were near moving there. We went in the evening after work several times. Once we fixed on a particular area, we made sure we tried to see it as many different times of the day/evening/night as possible. As we're still needing to go back to Bham for work, we even stayed a couple of times on a Sunday night so we could test out the commute.

As far as estate agents are concerned, there's lots of cheap stuff out there but they don't seem to do much for their money. In the end we used what was a bit more expensive but was highly recommended by friends and rated highly on the review sites I looked at. Can't remember the name of one of the review site, but it tells you who's selling the most property in your area and what percentage of the asking price they're getting. We were really pleased with out choice, we got a designated person to look after our sale and she rang us weekly with updates and was also good at giving the other parties a bit of a nudge when things slowed.

We got quotes from several removals companies and in the end had to go with out 2nd choice as the actual move went ahead with only a couple of days notice and our first choice couldn't cover the date (and I'd already filled 45 of their cardboard packing boxes). In the end we were pleased we had to use our second choice as they were brilliant. After the stress of getting to moving day, the actual move itself couldn't have gone better.
They were very impressed with my packing skills - I packed around 100 boxes, invested in some really sturdy ones for heavy stuff and some heavy duty bottle boxes for our beer, wine & spirit selection. I probably spent about £100 on boxes but it was money very well spent. We also invested in a couple of heavy duty tape guns, 2 might seem like overkill, but in those last few days when you're both packing together, you don't want to be wasting time waiting for the other to finish using your only one. Number your boxes on all sides - useful as when they're piled up at the other end you don't want the number being on the side against the wall. I also made a list of which number box went in which room as the other end - something our removal guys were very pleased with.

Get rid of as much stuff you don't want before you move, no point in paying good money to cart something that you'll dump at the other end. Where I lived the British Heart Foundation would collect as much as you wanted to give them, I must have booked collections at least 3 times in the lead up to our move.

Don't underestimate the costs of moving - we moved from a small 2 bed semi to a reasonable 3 bed semi and here's approx what we paid:
Estate Agent - £2,200
Solicitor - £1,275
Survey - £500
Mine fees - £300
Removals - £1080

After all that, we're so glad we did it, we couldn't be happier. Its taken about 3 months to feel like home and not that we're on some extended weekend break.
I wish you all the best in your search for a new home
Kacey
Registered

Postby Bubbles » November 6th, 2017, 9:25 pm

approx what we paid:
Estate Agent - £2,200
Solicitor - £1,275
Survey Etc. Don't forget Stamp Duty!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 6th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Busybee wrote:What an exciting move Rainbow, whereabouts in Queensland are you heading to? My aunt and uncle did a similar kind of move to retire to the Queensland coast.

Good luck to you both.

BB

Thanks, BB. We are moving to the Sunshine Coast, a bit South of Noosa (very expensive there) and a short distance inland from Perigian Beach (being on the coast is also very expensive).
Did you go up to that part of Queensland when you visited recently?

Kacey wrote:I packed around 100 boxes, invested in some really sturdy ones for heavy stuff and some heavy duty bottle boxes for our beer, wine & spirit selection. I probably spent about £100 on boxes but it was money very well spent. We also invested in a couple of heavy duty tape guns, 2 might seem like overkill, but in those last few days when you're both packing together, you don't want to be wasting time waiting for the other to finish using your only one. Number your boxes on all sides - useful as when they're piled up at the other end you don't want the number being on the side against the wall. I also made a list of which number box went in which room as the other end - something our removal guys were very pleased with.

Sounds like you were highly organised, Kacey. I'm rather dreading the actual box packing - 100 sounds like a lot, but maybe not really? I was wondering about the numbering on the boxes - some good advice there :D
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 7th, 2017, 8:40 am

What a great area to move to Rainbow. We did visit the general area, I have cousins on the outskirts of North Brisbane, another on Biribie Island and my uncle lives in Bundaberg. This was our favourite part of the whole trip, just love Queensland.

Good luck with the move, it sounds as if you have done some great prep.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » November 7th, 2017, 9:11 am

Sounds like I sold on the cheap (although it was only a £115k house)

Estate agent £800 (& a horse box MOT) :lol:
Solicitor £600
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » November 7th, 2017, 12:10 pm

We're reckoning on 20k to cover all the costs of our impending house move (to include surveys, estate agent & solicitor fees, removal expenses, buying essential items for new house, etc). We've spent the best part of a year de-cluttering/sorting out current house so that when we go on the market (we're thinking Feb) we'll hopefully be in a position for keeping the stress levels as low as is possible under the circs. It's all rather exciting though. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 7th, 2017, 2:21 pm

The opposite side of decluttering and presentation is to learn to look past th chaos of other people's lives
When I was looking for this place the estate agent commented that my repeated questions were "is that going?" "Will this room be emptied?" and he thought those were good things to ask. They still left a dead piano and some bits but at least the hideous units that took up half the master bedroom went away.
Cost £50 to finish the emptying and leave nothing but some curtains, bargain
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 7th, 2017, 6:03 pm

This house that we moved into 11 years ago, was immaculate except for a wine bottle - it was full and a gift from the leavers !!! What a nice gesture. :D
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 7th, 2017, 6:18 pm

The people we bought current house from did similar. They left us a bottle of cava and the fire all laid and ready to light. :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 7th, 2017, 7:50 pm

When I was planning to move house about 15 years ago, I was told to expect it to cost in the region of £10,000. You seem to have done very well Kacey!

Another one off to Queensland? Most of my school friends from Sydney seem to live there now, Sydney is just too expensive. Hope you'll be very happy there.

I would love to move but it would cost so much to do up the house and pay all the costs I'll stay put :rolleyes: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 7th, 2017, 7:58 pm

I'll have to move eventually, this isn't necessarily a place to get old and decrepit in
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 7th, 2017, 8:45 pm

StokeySue wrote:I'll have to move eventually, this isn't necessarily a place to get old and decrepit in

Are you sure? What would be a good place?

Your neighbourhood is interesting and vibrant. You have friends and neighbours locally. Social and interest groups around. Food within walking distance, known to the local shop keepers, good public transport and access to interesting things to do, good access to GP and hospital, easy to manage flat, bills and service charges presumably manageable. I think you might have outside steps, there are hoists/stairlifts for that if your legs fail and it isn't certain that they will. From what I have read vision is an issue for you, would it not be better to be in a familiar area with poor eyesight? Moving to a strange place is the last thing I would and will do even without vision issues (so far anyway but who knows what will happen next).
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2017, 12:05 am

I meant very specifically that I need to desert my external stairs and one or too other unfixable aspects of my flat miss mouse! I intend to leave Stokey in the proverbial pine box :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 8th, 2017, 12:21 am

I am sorry if I misunderstood. This house has always had a keen eye on 'where will we live when old and creaky' which of course we never will be, well not for 200 or so years yet.

I do not expect answers and you are very thorough anyway. Are the unfixables really unfixable? Have all options been explored? Moving is expensive which I am sure that you know.

My neighbours of 20 years are dashing off to some south coast resort just as they are getting creakier. What an odd thing to do.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 8th, 2017, 9:43 am

I keep thinking that I should consider moving to somewhere for my old age, however, round here, I can't afford a private place in sheltered housing -they are more expensive than my little 2 bed semi - so I will have to stay put and have the stair lift installed when I can no longer manage to get up them ;) :( :shock:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2017, 10:33 am

Suffice it to say my current flat is on the wrong (noisy) corner and first floor... if Harry Potter could lift my flat up and move it to ground level a little plot on a back street, where we could extend the kitchen a bit (I really need more space to see what I am doing) I'd be very happy

Never meant to stay here so long, but life got in the way
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2017, 11:18 am

StokeySue wrote: Never meant to stay here so long, but life got in the way

Oh gosh, that's me too! I quite like the idea of a low-maintenance place in a retirement village - whilst one is able-bodied I don't see it as a stigma or restrictive to life -there is always help and social things to hand if one needs or wants them which is nice. That said, they are not cheap, which makes it prohibitive for me.

I had always thought it crazy that ancient 65 year olds would consider moving away on retirement. However, I'm coming up to 64 and would have moved when I retired like a shot if I was still in good health. It's only that I was presented with a granddaughter which now means I will probably stay here in this house which would convert well to downstairs-only living if necessary and isn't a million miles away from local amenities :rolleyes:. If the lotto win comes up I might move to some small market town not too far away, I feel little affinity with this immediate area even though I've lived here most of my adult life.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 8th, 2017, 1:27 pm

In the unlikely event that we move house, it would only be to somewhere near one of the kids.

Although I have suggested that the best place to move to would be within walking distance of an A&E :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2017, 1:52 pm

If you need A&E it's unlikely to be of help that it's in walking distance Aero ... we're within a £7.50 cab fare of A&E ... when you think of what hospital car parks cost you can't really do much better than that. :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 13th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Well we are back in Coventry after our house hunting so first thanks for all your tips as they are all very helpful.

So we have found a property, & agreed price, estate agent coming tomorrow to take pictures & put ours on the market.

Massive tidy up today, the charity shops are going to do very well, we are trying not to think to far ahead as it could all fall through & end in disappointment.
So watch this space.
Cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 14th, 2017, 12:17 am

:tu: :tu: :tu:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Monnikka » November 14th, 2017, 8:00 am

Good luck Terry!

Oh's ancestors came from that area and we are regularly down there. I bet it won't be long before you spend time in the wetlands, watching water birds. Good Luck!
Monnikka
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 14th, 2017, 8:08 am

How exciting!
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 14th, 2017, 8:38 am

Wow! That was quick! I do hope that everything works out well. :bounce: :bounce: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 14th, 2017, 8:41 am

Well done, good luck with the sale and the move
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby hickybank » November 14th, 2017, 8:56 am

Thanks, I did listen to your advice, we spoke to locals about the area all seemed positive
Health centre is 5 mins away with 12 doctors ( they guarantee you will be seen the same day) dentist Optician & Pharmacy.
Leisure centre with swimming pool 5 mins away, supermarkets 10 mins in car.
I did a flood risk test as suggested & there is some but once again talking to locals no one has ever been affected or can remember any problem, so fingers crossed
The property is on a residential park for over 50s, no holiday letting,
It comes fully furnished even down to occasional tables & wall mirrors.
Estate agent coming today to photograph ours & put it on the market
hickybank
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 14th, 2017, 9:21 am

hickybank wrote:Thanks, I did listen to your advice, we spoke to locals about the area all seemed positive
Health centre is 5 mins away with 12 doctors ( they guarantee you will be seen the same day) dentist Optician & Pharmacy.
Leisure centre with swimming pool 5 mins away, supermarkets 10 mins in car.
I did a flood risk test as suggested & there is some but once again talking to locals no one has ever been affected or can remember any problem, so fingers crossed
The property is on a residential park for over 50s, no holiday letting,
It comes fully furnished even down to occasional tables & wall mirrors.

That all sounds wonderful, did you notice any more places available ? ;) The only downside for me would be that it comes fully furnished, so I presume a Park home ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop