Bowls of Beauty?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Bowls of Beauty?

Postby StokeySue » November 6th, 2017, 4:45 pm

No, not peonies. I've been thinking and I spot a trend

Now people have been making bowls, and presumably eating out of them since the stone age, and it feels as if the Pizza Hut salad bowls have been going for most of that time, but it seems that bowl meals are currently "a thing" in a slightly different way, and possibly even rather trendy

From my perspective I think this comes from the east, in the late 80s and early 90s the noodle bars, such as the original New Culture Revolution appeared in London and Wagamama too, and caused quite a stir, We all started eating bowls of noodles with chopsticks while sitting on rustic wooden stools and peering round the bamboo screens; hard to remember now how genuinely different this felt 25 years ago. All the Sunday food columnists picked up on it. Part of the landscape now.

Recently there's been a surge of Korean food, and the stand out dish is bibimbap, a bowl of rice topped with small helpings of different vegetables each cooked and dressed separately, and often finished with some pork or beef bulgogi (marinated and flash cooked strips of meat) or tofu. Judy Joo's version is not perhaps perfect as she uses one master sauce for all her veg, but it does work well at home to be fair
http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/biggest-and-best-bibimbap.html

Here's a bibimbap I had at Bang Bang Oriental

Now it seems to me that this is a template that's being used by non-oriental cooks, for example Andi Oliver's Energy Bowls, (the name was the only thing I didn't like)
Andi wrote:Energy Bowls
Pulses, chopped sautéed greens, roast seasonal vegetables & avocado mash
Choose from –
Brown rice, quinoa or bulgur wheat (base)
Add your choice of protein
Salt cod prawn cakes, Fish of the day, Poached eggs, Fried halloumi, Tofu steak, Buttermilk chicken, Lamb Kofta
Choose your dressing
House vinaigrette, Tahini maple roast garlic dressing, Pomegranate vinaigrette, Whipped feta herb yoghurt

Then there's Nigella's rice bowl, which doesn't appeal so much to me, but she's good at picking up the drift. I think what doesn't appeal is the element of old school hippy sling it all in rice salad, rather than Andi's and Judy's elegantly arranged displays

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rice_bowl_with_ginger_58307

So - am I off target? Is this a thing where you are?

And most of all have you spotted or made a good bowl meal? What is it? :hungry:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Bowls of Beauty?

Postby earthmaiden » November 6th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Sue, your London life is so different to my provincial one! I have yet to "eat bowls of noodles with chopsticks while sitting on a rustic wooden stools and peering round a bamboo screen".

To me, real bowl food started far more recently when trendy cafes selling juices and quinoa and baby leaf salads and things (similar to the Andi Oliver thing). That kind of food - often based on Far or Middle Eastern cuisine, goes well in a bowl and is easy to reproduce at home and munch in front of the telly. I have been serving myself with that kind of food in a bowl for a while just because it is easy to eat. What I really don't like, are things like a Sunday roast behind served in a bowl. I have come across this in several pubs which are tying to be trendy gastropubs - in places like deepest Somerset which somehow makes it even worse. One needs to see the components of such a meal, not find them one by one as a surprise.

I expect it'll be ages before I go anywhere and buy a Korean bowl - I did go to Wagamama for the first time at the end of last year - but they do look nice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 6th, 2017, 7:40 pm

Me too but we ate from a bowl tonight -one of my lovely plain black ones.

I made pork balls with sweet and sour sauce on egg fried rice, We didn;t use chopsticks just forks but it was rather good, Everything was home made.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 6th, 2017, 7:41 pm

This little group of 'bowl' recipes was on my Facebook feed this morning:

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/articles/5 ... od-recipes

Some of them seem to fall into the same category that I put my 'bowls' of food into - it's easier to eat this if I put it in a bowl and use a spoon, especially if I'm sitting in front of the TV without a table!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby missmancs » November 6th, 2017, 8:33 pm

I put certain meals in bowls, these tend to be ones that can be eaten with a fork/spoon, such as pasta, noodles and rice dishes. I know a lot of my Instagram feed is taken up with trendy shots of various 'meals in bowls'. Some of them look rather good and then there are others where you just think the person is jumping onto the bandwagon and the result is just a mish mash of food thrown in a bowl because 'it's the done thing' and looks anything but appetising.

I'm also not sure if i'm completely on board with the whole 'smoothie bowl' phenomenon either :lol:
missmancs
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 6th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Yes, that's very much the sort of thing I was thinking of Suelle, it does seem to be around and about
I have to admit that apart from bakes, most pasta dishes, Italian or oriental noodles are bowl meals here, I make much less mess that way.

I also do what I call ladies-who-lunch salads in a bowl, leaves in the base and all sorts of things on top, often including some pulses or cooked new potatoes to make it a whole meal

I just got some really nice plain white porcelain bowls in Sainsbury, there are pasta bowls in my dinner service but they aren't really the right size and shape for the salads and energy bowl type of serving

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsburys-coupe-pasta-bowl-white?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=4weUeGsvy1Ks671v01PhtkIoh2jlCI9PPtfvGk5m7b8KwF21CJcvaFY9bVMraURYpgXb4tfw%2ByTJ0k%2BzI8pVbj63SU2k8NF%2FIlyYCSwS7FvAiqDoHxTOCxedfTKDxesbDrMz3W1C9jcTaf59Z3kPyQ9zu%2B409ZdLaz9%2Br81ai34%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fsainsburys-coupe-pasta-bowl-white
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 7th, 2017, 9:44 am

For us, it depends on the meal, I eat slowly (hate indigestion) and like to eat hot food, especially given our climate so unless it is a roast type meal will opt for a bowl or a receptacle that keeps food 'together' therefore warmer.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2017, 10:30 am

It is certainly a thing in the media, so I imagine it is in hipster cafes and trendy restaurants too. But I tend to stay clear of places that don't serve cheese :twisted:
I think the variant (?) of this that I first came across is as the 'Buddha bowl' (or is that something completely different?) which looks similar to Sue's pic of bibimbap only without the broth? Different types of food prepared separately then brought together - assembled - in a bowl. I am too lazy to make anything like this, cheese issues (tongue in cheek, btw) aside.

It reminds me a bit of Urusus Wehrli:
http://www.ufunk.net/en/artistes/the-art-of-tidying-up/

I too eat most of my food in a bowl with a spoon, but only as an (easier) alternative to a plate (less chasing around of food involved, which is inevitable on a plate if you don't use a knife, which I don't if I can help it.) But this is not what the bowl trend is about, surely. It's not just food in a bowl. Perhaps some people have got the wrong end of the stick. Perhaps I have...

Has Wagamama really been around for 25 years? Goodness.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 7th, 2017, 11:15 am

Yes, I hadn't particularly noted the name Buddha bowl, but that seems to be the thing I've spotted, clearly Andi is not the only person who does the thing without the name

Buzzfeed wrote:Buddha bowls — colorful bowls usually composed of vegetables, healthy grains, and protein — are one of this year's top emerging food trends.

They are very similar to bibimbap, which doesn't in fact contain any broth; dolsot bibimbap is served in a hot stone bowl so the rice forms a crispy crust underneath, the difference would seem to be the mass of tahini dressing on most of them
The full article on Buddha bowls has good pics and some recipes
https://www.buzzfeed.com/michelleno/14-buddha-bowl-recipes-that-will-satisfy-every-craving?utm_term=.roJwxGBD0v#.akqoLVrnGR

Yes, I checked the date for Wagamama :o and I'm pretty sure that New Culture Revolution came first
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2017, 4:04 pm

StokeySue wrote:They are very similar to bibimbap, which doesn't in fact contain any broth; dolsot bibimbap is served in a hot stone bowl so the rice forms a crispy crust underneath,

So it doesn't! My imagination imposed that!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Wagamama started in between my first time in London and my second. I couldn't actually afford to eat out until about 2002 anyway ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 7th, 2017, 4:41 pm

the trouble with eating from a bowl is that you get your nose or chin dirty when licking it out.

there are some things that call for being eaten from a bowl but if it isn't going to escape over the side i think i prefer a plate - i don't like different foods falling into each other and becoming a homogenised mass (why make different salads if they're just going to end up being one?). with a plate of chilli my partner mixes his all together with the rice straight away so a bowl would do him whereas i keep mine separate - and plates are a more efficient shape for the dishwasher!
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 7th, 2017, 5:55 pm

I think we should bring back the medieval trencher idea. It must have been most useful when you could eat your plate or give it to the Deserving Poor instead of having to wash it up. :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 7th, 2017, 5:56 pm

I'll 2nd that !
and plates are a more efficient shape for the dishwasher!
I do so like the dishwasher to be full when I switch it on.... :D Especially when the sun shines ! Solar panels rule OK !! Tomorrow looks good for sunshine....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 7th, 2017, 9:14 pm

I've remembered the other super fashionable bowl that all you hipsters are probably chowing down on right now - the Hawaiian poke (say poh-kay) bowl.

This consists of rice topped with various things including raw fish and a dressing based on soy

Probably more US than UK so far, but certainly around and about in London, there is a stall outside the docklands branch of the Museum of London

Huffpost has the detaiks
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/21/how-to-make-poke-bowl_n_5593812.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 7th, 2017, 11:59 pm

StokeySue wrote:I've remembered the other super fashionable bowl that all you hipsters are probably chowing down on right now - [...] rice topped with various things including raw fish

that would be the reason i don't want to be a 'hipster' (although i made a pair when i was at school).
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2017, 12:02 am

To be fair scully, you'd have trouble growing the Edward Lear beard as well
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2017, 12:22 am

scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 8th, 2017, 8:34 am

:lol: :lol:

I would be very wary of purchasing a raw fish dish from an unknown stall. It is interesting reading all about the different kinds of 'bowl' cuisine. I think I have been trendy for ages without realising it as I often mix such ingredients together in a bowl to eat but had no idea there were different genres. The bowls I use mostly are round white ones from Sainsburys http://www.habitat.co.uk/bistro-white-p ... 15cm-60044 . It's true, they take up more room in the dishwasher but I love eating from them. I don't mind rice/grain/pasta/salad kind of meals getting mixed up and you dig down to try and get all the flavours on one fork or spoonful. From now on I shall say I am a fan of the Buddha bowl. :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 8th, 2017, 9:27 am

Does an 'Irish Stew' bowl count ? ;) I bought mine years ago when I visited Dublin - such a useful size and ideal when I made porridge in the microwave. In fact I used it last night for leftover, re-heated chicken and vegetables from Sunday lunch :lol: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop