Cinnamon sticks

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Cinnamon sticks

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 8th, 2017, 9:39 am

My local Tesco had a pack of Cinnamon sticks (100g) and other spices on offer yesterday at 2 for £2 (so I bought some as well as Garam Masala) - 30p off in total, however they did seem good value. Is it a case of you get what you paid for though ? These are described as Chinese; Cassia (Dalchini) .... Before I break open the pack, I now need to find an air tight container for them though :aww:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on November 8th, 2017, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Cinnamon sticks

Postby StokeySue » November 8th, 2017, 10:14 am

Cinnamon and cassia are not the same, though they are related and similar
Cassia is generally considered inferior to cinnamon, and certainly cheaper, personally I prefer the (to me) slightly mellower aroma of cassia

It's certainly fine in savoury dishes, I'm not sure if it would work in something like a cinnamon bun but then I can't stand those however well made

Gernot has the lowdown of course
http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/index.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Cinnamon sticks

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 8th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Thanks Sue :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop