Luxury Advent Calendars

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Luxury Advent Calendars

Postby Pepper Pig » November 16th, 2017, 5:26 pm

I can't remember whether it was Rats or Moira who said that these hadn't reached their area yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -christmas
Last edited by Pepper Pig on November 17th, 2017, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Luxury Advent Calendars

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 16th, 2017, 6:42 pm

I do love an advent calendar! I've usually been given Cadburys or the like but, in my vegan days, would empty them before December, let my partner scoff them and then use the innards to make my own vegan chocs. I have been keeping my eye out for a good advent calendar but it will not be luxury!
Ooh, ooh, ooh...i just remembered, me and my ex used to make homemade advents with chocolate liqueurs...now there's a thought! :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 16th, 2017, 6:57 pm

It was Moira.

It really has got a bit silly hasn't it .. spending all that on someone as well as a Christmas present. I wonder if some people have them instead of.

I wait until December 2nd or 3rd then buy a reduced price chocolate one for myself :lol:. I would like the L'occitane one if I knew anyone rich enough to buy it for me.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 16th, 2017, 7:05 pm

Apparently, last year Boots had an extremely good value advent calendar, but they were in very limited supply and flew off the shelves ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 16th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Sign me up for the pork scratching one!

I don’t bother with one but my son did ask if I was getting him one this year..........he is 21!

To be honest I think it’s got a bit out of hand, I don’t mind buying him a chocolate one but that’s about it.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 16th, 2017, 7:11 pm

I'm afraid I'm a boring old fart and refuse to go down the chocolate advent calendar. I like the proper traditional Christmas scene ones with a picture behind each door. The National Trust do some lovely ones. These were the ones I had as a chid
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 16th, 2017, 7:21 pm

They're lovely too Catherine ... especially if they have glitter on them. :luv:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » November 16th, 2017, 7:22 pm

earthmaiden wrote:They're lovely too Catherine ... especially if they have glitter on them. :luv:

Well that goes without saying. You can never have too much glitter
Catherine
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 16th, 2017, 7:24 pm

I had the Liberty advent calendar last year and I know OH has bought it for me again this year. I love it :luv:

My mum still buys us all a Cadbury advent calendar too.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 16th, 2017, 7:36 pm

I did buy a Boots one once. I am a sucker for little sachets and tiny bottles of things. Although it's more fun when they are free!

Last time I was in Paris I got all manner of (posh) goodies when I bought some face cream in a pharmacie :) My local seller of L'Occitane in France used to give me handfuls of stuff when I bought something, but last time greedy me was disappointed when they only gave me a cloth bag, wretched ingrate that I am. I was somewhat tempted by the (v expensive) L'Occitane one.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 16th, 2017, 7:36 pm

Catherine wrote:I'm afraid I'm a boring old fart and refuse to go down the chocolate advent calendar. I like the proper traditional Christmas scene ones with a picture behind each door. The National Trust do some lovely ones. These were the ones I had as a chid

Me too. When my GCs were little I sewed them advet calendars with pockets into which little things could be put. I don;t expect they are used now. I might appreciate an adult one with a minature of gin every day!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advent-Gin-Cal ... PJWF7399TC
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 16th, 2017, 8:19 pm

We have a re-usable one which we've had for years. 24 numbered little bags which are filled with chocolate coins & tied shut. We then draw lots to decide who opens each bag. With 24 bags, that's 8 goes each - altho we usually share out the contents of each bag :chops:

Lovely chocolate too :chops:

:chops:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby smitch » November 16th, 2017, 8:35 pm

We always get the Lego advent calendar and take it in turns to open a window. We generally also get a chocolate one to share, nothing fancy though.
smitch
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 16th, 2017, 8:45 pm

What do you get in the Lego one?
<nosey>
:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby smitch » November 16th, 2017, 10:13 pm

A mixture of minifigures and very small items to build. You end up with a festive scene.
smitch
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 16th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Boo Hoo ! I feel so deprived...... I have never had an advent calendar.... :cry: It was just never done in our household as a growing up kid....

I struggled to find glitter last year and finally got some in Bath.... Must utilise it soon !

Shattered now, for some stupid reason I was awake at 4.30 this morning....... won't happen tomorrow, have taken a tablet :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 17th, 2017, 6:16 am

Yes, it was me who asked about Advent Calendars, I am definitely missing out :(

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby mogatogs » November 17th, 2017, 8:29 am

Our grandchildren are 17 and 18 and still have Cadbury calendars, think there would be an uprising if they didn't magically appear :lol: I went to Debenhams on Monday and treated myself to the L'occitaine one expensive but it was half price :tu: only started using their products when I got a sample pouch with a magazine - lovely :luv:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 17th, 2017, 9:25 am

I rather fancy Morrison's Gin Calendar, but it's £60 :o

ETA I had a look to see what's in it, seems everyone has one, the going rate for the Ginvent calendar is £124!!! I make that around £100 per litre
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 17th, 2017, 9:43 am

Catherine wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:They're lovely too Catherine ... especially if they have glitter on them. :luv:

Well that goes without saying. You can never have too much glitter

I heard a news item this morning that glitter has been banned from some schools in the run up to Christmas because it is environmentally unfriendly. It may well be but I think the real reason is that the teachers get sick of clearing up the mess :lol: :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 17th, 2017, 10:01 am

There's glitter and glitter
The stuff that was around when I was a child is basically crushed glass, and causes horrific eye damage if a child rubs it into their eye (there's a WHO code for "glitter eye" I think)
There are safer versions around though, I also wonder if the fashion for edible glitter on birthday cakes means the littlies are more likely to swallow it?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 17th, 2017, 10:27 am

StokeySue wrote:There's glitter and glitter
The stuff that was around when I was a child is basically crushed glass, and causes horrific eye damage if a child rubs it into their eye (there's a WHO code for "glitter eye" I think)
There are safer versions around though, I also wonder if the fashion for edible glitter on birthday cakes means the littlies are more likely to swallow it?

I think it was more to do with tiny pieces of plastic contaminating the environment, as Catherine mentioned.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby MagicMarmite » November 17th, 2017, 1:59 pm

I really want the Ilchester cheese one that Asda is selling.
Will probably just get daughter a standard chocolate one.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 17th, 2017, 2:34 pm

I heard that about glitter this morning too. It never occurred to me that that too was made from plastic these days! It wouldn't have been when we were children.

So, was it really glass? I always imagined it was a bit like silver paper - a kind of foil. Whatever it was or is made of, it isn't good for eyes :shock: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 17th, 2017, 2:41 pm

There are some very indulgent calendars around - I bought this one last year for my GS - it's beautifully made and will be an heirloom piece in years to come. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/40910/Bethlehem-Advent-Stable I'll probably get him a Cadbury's one too! :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 17th, 2017, 3:28 pm

That's a gorgeous calendar Meganthemog.

Re glitter...last year Burberry bought out little pots of cosmetic glitter and I got the gold one. It's not something I use often but it's nice to sparkle at Christmas!

Also, Liberty sell something called Unicorn Snot which is a glittery gel for children...I've got some for DD's stocking and I know she'll love it. Just need to make sure she doesn't smear it on the furniture! :shock:
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 17th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Glitter..... Who would have thought it could be so very dangerous. Love the idea of Unicorn Snot OMCO.......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Kavey » November 17th, 2017, 5:16 pm

I'd rather pay £200 on a calendar of whisky (they aren't just Jim Beam, they are usually pretty damn good whiskies) than £200 on a posh handbag and people don't bat an eyelid at that!! The advent calendar nature of it is just a fun way to encourage people to enjoy a whisky a day, though of course some people may eke them out longer and others may enjoy three or four a time every few days. It's not really about it being an advent in any religious or traditional sense. One of my favourites every Christmas is the Niederegger marzipan advent, I absolutely adore it! But it ain't cheap! :lol:
Kavey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 17th, 2017, 5:49 pm

I think that the creche crossed with the advent calendar is lovely Meganthemog, I'm tempted to get one just for me

@Kavita, I've nothing against spending money on gin or whisky, but I think I'd rather spend my money on the spirit, and not bother with paying to have it dressed up as an advent calendar
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » November 17th, 2017, 9:19 pm

MTM - that advent stable is beautiful!
:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Kavey » November 17th, 2017, 10:35 pm

StokeySue wrote:I think that the creche crossed with the advent calendar is lovely Meganthemog, I'm tempted to get one just for me

@Kavita, I've nothing against spending money on gin or whisky, but I think I'd rather spend my money on the spirit, and not bother with paying to have it dressed up as an advent calendar

Yep, that would make sense except the collective price of the individual drams is more than the cost of the advent calendar, so you're not paying extra to have it dressed up. :-D (I checked!!!!!!)
Kavey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 18th, 2017, 1:17 am

You have to check them individually I think, the gin one I looked at, as I said, worked out to £100 per litre, and I don't think any of the gins were that much, most quite a bit less
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kavey » November 18th, 2017, 8:01 am

No, buying a single gin would not cost £100 a litre. But buying the miniatures of that many different gins, and of the quality / small batch ones that in the Ginvent one, would be more!!
Kavey
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop