Mattress Toppers

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Mattress Toppers

Postby Kacey » November 18th, 2017, 10:26 am

Does anyone have advice/recommendations for mattress Toppers? I've just ordered a new bed and want to get a mattress topper and a new duvet. I've been looking on Amazon as I have some credit to use, but not having bought one before and looking at the mixed reviews it seems a bit of minefield. I love the ones that Premier Inn uses - wish I'd thought to check the make last time I was in one.
Kacey
Registered

Re: Mattress Toppers

Postby jrc » November 18th, 2017, 10:31 am

I am interested in advice. I have a new mattress (well about four weeks old) and have been debating a topper. More so as on the 8th next month I am having surgery on my heel. I don’t want any stains on the mattress should my foot seep a little but neither do I want to sleep on anything plasticky. :? :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 18th, 2017, 10:56 am

There may be two issues here - a mattress protector for jrc and the question of what eactly Kacey needs - a mattress protector or a topper to add depth and comfort - perhaps memory foam.

As a mattress protector I can recommend this:

http://en.careshop.com.tr/100-cotton-hi ... 8&PID=4367

I slept on it for a few nights and it didn't feel at all plastick-y. It was quiet (no rustling), didn't make me sweat and didn't get any uncomfortable wrinkles in it. It's also got a deep fitted part, so fitted well over my very thick memory foam mattress.
Last edited by Suelle on November 18th, 2017, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to correct spelling
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » November 18th, 2017, 11:01 am

I couldn't live without my matress topper. I wanted a down one but they are too expensive and rather impractical. I now have a silk/dacron one which zips into twothicknesses so each piece can be washed in a domestic machine. I bought mine at John Lewis. a couple of years ago.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Kacey » November 18th, 2017, 11:14 am

I'm definitely meaning a mattress topper. We use Premier Inn a lot, they're very cheap if you book in advance, you know what you're getting and their beds are wonderful. In fact the bed we've ordered is one of their Hypnos beds. I just want the whole 'Premier Inn' experience (LOL) with a lovely mattress topper too. The bed should arrive 2nd week in December, so I'm planning at least one day over Xmas when I don't actually get out of it - except to fetch delicious provisions obviously.
Kacey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 18th, 2017, 11:34 am

I am puzzled as to why you would want a mattress topper on a new bed, as far as I'm concerned they are used to make an old mattress feel better. I had a feather topper on my old mattress, which was comfortable but quite warm. My newer mattress is memory foam over spring, so effectively has a built in topper.

I always use a mattress protector, not a waterproof one but a quilted cotton one, it wouldn't protect from a flood :rolleyes: but probably from a bit of wound seepage

Mine came from John Lewis, but this M&S one is similar, I love it, find it comfortable summer and winter
http://www.marksandspencer.com/cotton-mattress-protection/p/p22465980?&mcptredirect

ETA I find the Premier toppers a bit warm, I think they are filled with polyester, a lot of hotels use them now, gives a good feeling of luxury, but can go through an industrial washer and dryer, which is reassuring (and probably makes the mattresses last longer). Id think feather and down might give a similar feel or perhaps wool?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 18th, 2017, 11:59 am

Like Sue we have JL quilted cotton mattress protectors like the M&S one on our bed and the spare one ... they wash and dry well and are comfortable. We don't have toppers ... I've also found them a bit too warm.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 18th, 2017, 12:54 pm

I have a memory foam mattress topper and don't find this too warm at all, however, in view of my re-routed digestive plumbing, I have to be ready for any over-night accidents, so I do have a mattress protector on top of that 8-) ;) It is not at all plasticky but can't remember now how/where I got it :aww: :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 18th, 2017, 12:54 pm

I have a memory foam mattress topper and don't find this too warm at all, however, in view of my re-routed digestive plumbing, I have to be ready for any over-night accidents, so I do have a mattress protector on top of that 8-) ;) It is not at all plasticky but can't remember now how/where I got it :aww: :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 18th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Every time I sit or raise myself up on my new mattress a spring boings, so am interested in mattress topper reviews here. Not nice having a spring poke you in the shoulder or face or ankle during the night. Hope you all have good sleeps tonight with no springage boingage!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 21st, 2017, 12:43 pm

Not sure why the springs would be going 'boing' if the mattress is new ? :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 21st, 2017, 2:01 pm

It was bought on a strict budget so that might be why, unfortunately. :rolleyes:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 21st, 2017, 8:21 pm

Ah .... thanks :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop