Wanted - four year old shepherd nativity costume ideas

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Wanted - four year old shepherd nativity costume ideas

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 4th, 2017, 10:56 pm

My :luv: four year old nephew is a shepherd in his first ever nativity in two weeks time. Mums and Dads and whoever else they can rope into it have the responsibility of providing a costume. I have offered to be roped in.

I love the look and simplicity of this one.

https://www.netmums.com/christmas/how-t ... a-shepherd

I can't physically do much of the prep at the moment but can police the whole operation! :lol:

Any other ideas for costumes very welcome.

This is such a blast from the past when his ten year older brother was involved in similar. How time flies! No doubt there will be tissues at the ready when he gambols on stage. :luv:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Wanted - four year old shepherd nativity costume ideas

Postby Suelle » December 5th, 2017, 8:50 am

The costume on your link looks simple enough, but, depending on how tall you nephew is, you might be able to use an adult sized t-shirt, just belted at the waist, for the gown.

You could use a striped towel for the gown, and a tea towel for the headdress, and avoid any hemming.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » December 5th, 2017, 10:21 am

Wonderweb is one possiblity but it is quite expensive. Have you a market anywhere near because things like that are often really cheap there. If you couls beg or borrow a pair of pinking shears hemming is not necessary.

Good luck anyway. DS was Joseph when he was 4 - Alan Searer was one of the wise men :lol: :lol: :lol: My mum and I hardly saw any of the play because we were crying so much.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 10:23 am

No sewing needed ... just cut a bit longer than required and fray the edges ... looks great :tu: Don't think shepherds went for the 'tailored' look ...... the ones I know now don't anyway ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 10:25 am

When my boys did this they wore dressing gowns on back to front with a stripey tea towel on their head secured with an old tie. That was what the teacher asked them to wear and it was surprisingly effective and as a plus no costume to make :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 5th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Yep, nativities were always dressing gowns and teatowels for my and my children's generation. I pity parents who are expected to make elaborate costumes these days - even the rather nice shepherd smock on Tezza'a link would involve buying a length of material at a time of year when budgets are tight. There is usually some good improvisation using what is available though.

Get the tissues ready for the big day ... the minute the first note strikes on the piano I'm a blubbering wreck .. especially when the children are very young :aww: :aww:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2017, 2:20 pm

With a bit of ingenuity you should be able to kit out a shepherd at a reasonable charity shop :)

Loads of brilliant and very cheap ideas here https://churchofenglandchristenings.org ... christmas/
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 5th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Thanks for the ideas! I have some craft scissors here which could zig zag the edges of any tunic a treat, and between me, Sister and Mum probably have enough t-towels, towels and pillowcases and the like to knock something up. I do know of a market in Luton town where I go each Friday so I'll have a nose in there, but would be better crafting one out of materials already to hand. Also, I have two walking sticks, a folder and a wooden, he could borrow my wooden as long as he doesn't lose it back stage! :lol:
Regarding being able to see him in his first performing role, tickets are limited per child, so the chances of me being able to attend are 50/50 which is why I offered to be part of the costume making.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 5th, 2017, 5:43 pm

I don’t think children wear the right sort of dressing gowns these days. Not sure the Baby Jesus was visited by Superheroes and My Little Pony. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 5th, 2017, 6:12 pm

:lol:

I hear on grapevine my Sister is now thinking of buying an outfit online! I am trying to convince her that it's the biggest waste of money ever!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 5th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Actually, having just looked at costumes online, I have a problem with this. Not only are they a bit like a wedding dress, expensive for something you'll only wear once, but they are all mostly the same. Hey, let's have a nativity scene where all the shepherd's are wearing identical clothes!
Last edited by TeresaFoodie on December 5th, 2017, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 5th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I don’t think children wear the right sort of dressing gowns these days. Not sure the Baby Jesus was visited by Superheroes and My Little Pony. :o

Yes but they are fine inside out if need be ;) :lol: :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby uschi » December 5th, 2017, 10:14 pm

liketocook wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:I don’t think children wear the right sort of dressing gowns these days. Not sure the Baby Jesus was visited by Superheroes and My Little Pony. :o

Even in pink???? :o :shock:
uschi
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 5th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Thinking, shepherds back then wouldn't have access to pink clothing dye would they, even if they'd wanted to? I would choose earthy colours myself. It's not a pantomime after all. Although I adore bright colours I think there is a time and a place. They are, after all, supposed to be in an animal filled stable. Hardly the most glamourous of venues.
I wonder if my Sister buys the outfit from Ebay, I could make nephew a small beard? I have a bag of cotton wool balls here. Possible somehow?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 6th, 2017, 12:06 pm

uschi wrote:
liketocook wrote:

Even in pink???? :o :shock:

Yep - it always seemed to work out ok, though there were some odd combinations ;) :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 6th, 2017, 1:01 pm

I remember the posh kids had navy blue ladybird dressing gowns where the buttons were red ladybirds, how I longed for a dressing gown like theirs. Mine was a pink quilted flowery one, but it didn’t matter we all made excellent shepherds with the obligatory tea towel head dress. Angels wore their dads white shirts with tinsel as a belt, and coat hanger and tinsel halos. It all seems so much easier than it is now.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 6th, 2017, 2:03 pm

At the primary school where I first started teaching there was a nativity box with suitable clothing for all participants - including donkey and ox :lol: :lol: They had been made by the staff and the mums and were lovingly cared for, laundered and repaired each year.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop