Duvet recommendtions

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Duvet recommendtions

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 6th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Expecting to feel the cold weather on my return from Kerala, I added my summer weight duvet to the spring one to make the winter weight -something I had never felt the need of before -and changed the bedding so that when I arrived home on Monday evening I could look forward to a warm cosy bed. However I am very disappointed to find that my duvet is now soooooo heavy and I don't think I will last the week before removing the lighter duvet from the equation. I have had these duvets for more than 10 years so I suppose they really should be replaced.

So, any recommendations for a light but warm duvet ? I have been disappointed with polyester ones in the past .. they just don't seem to mould to the body in the same way; or does anybody know any different ?

thanks
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Duvet recommendtions

Postby Busybee » December 6th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Pat, I’m not sure if it was you or Hope who recommended the Boston Duvet Company?

I bought a summer plus winter feather duvets that can be clipped together, although I have to admit that we haven’t felt the need to clip the two together yet. Lovely and light but very warm

Can’t remember how much they were but it was a bargain.

Quick delivery too.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 6th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Can't help Patsy I'm afraid as I'm very intolerant of feathers. But I have 3 different tog cheap duvets, in fact very cheap. All polyester. They last a couple of years and then I chuck them. None of them were more than £15. I am a bad role model. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 6th, 2017, 7:05 pm

We really like these ... we can't have down 'cos of OH's chest, but we think these are a pretty good substitute, they really do mould to your shape so no draughty patches, plus being much cheaper and they really are washable too

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-so ... ns/p475290
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 6th, 2017, 7:19 pm

We have no allergies but the slumber down feather and down 13.5 is lush. Especially with the flannelette fitted sheet and duvet cover. Such a warm nest that I have created a problem all of it's own.......... Sooooo difficult to get out of in the morning !

Patsy, it is so reminiscent of returning from a hot country in our cold climate......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 6th, 2017, 7:26 pm

I recall that Hope was looking for a wool filled duvet and I found the Boston Duvet Company ...

My current set is M&S iirc ... and in the same way, you clipped the 2 together to make the winter weight .. but the feathers on the one I have used almost solely since I bought them have slumped, not unexpected after all this time.

I did buy a polyester duvet with the (Hilton) staff discount before I retired, but it just laid rigidly over my body like cardboard and I hated it, so the Dog's Trust benefitted ;)

I will investigate the JL ones :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 6th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Would like to add that I don’t have any draughts either but 2 dogs and a cat might not be what you’re after. :o

Have you tried The Range in Watford?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 6th, 2017, 7:59 pm

I liked Zosh's description.... looked... ordered ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 6th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Not cheap I know, but we have had one of these for several years. Light but super warm and no draught spots, I couldn't live without ours,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jasmine-Season ... 560ZXYDKYD
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Amber » December 6th, 2017, 10:24 pm

We have an M&S feather and down quilt. It may be cold when you first get in, but within a few minutes it’s lovely and toasty.
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 7th, 2017, 12:45 pm

I bought (and love) a Northern Nights feather and down four seasons from QVC. They make a great song and dance about how they "hyperclean" the feathers.

I was very sceptical but I bought a cheaper one from Argos, very comfortable but a distinct whiff of duck oil about it until after a couple of washes (the QVC one is odourless), something to watch out for

Might go for silk next time
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 7th, 2017, 6:21 pm

I did notice that in Lidls today they were selling flannelette duvet covers and fitted sheets.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 7th, 2017, 6:33 pm

I am troubled about the process of the filling for goose and duck feathers, also silk .. hence my question about polyester ones, however, now there is the BIG problem with plastic waste ! :o :? :( :cry: :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop