Boiler Trouble!!!!!!!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Boiler Trouble!!!!!!!

Postby Grasshopper » December 9th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Starting from yesterday I'm just hopping in & out for a few days. Why? Because yesterday, despite it being serviced in October and pronounced 'sound' our Central heating boiler decided to pack up! :evil: THANKFULLY it's insured, and we hope to get it sorted (fixed) very soon.
Thankfully we have the fire in the lounge and an electric fire in the sitting room - so we won't freeze :shock: We just have to boil water when we need to wash up :rolleyes:
Insurance company have promised to get boiler sorted ASAP :tu:

Don't worry about the advent calendar - I'll still be opening the doors! :hi5:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Re: Boiler Trouble!!!!!!!

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Good luck Grassy ... fingers very crossed!!!

We had similar last week although thankfully it never quite stopped working (but did drip water alarmingly over the kitchen). We have British Gas Homecare and the engineer came out within two days, assessed and ordered the part and it was repaired and fully functioning 24 hours later :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 9th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Thankfully every other appliance in the house runs on electricity, so we can still wash, cook, etc. :hi5:

:hi5:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 9th, 2017, 9:18 pm

We had a problem a couple of weeks ago, the boiler kept losing pressure and J had to get out of the shower and fix it a couple of times because the water ran cold.
So pleased he has the first shower :evil:
Anyway the man was called, part was ordered and the boiler was fixed.

I hate it when things don't work.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » December 9th, 2017, 10:57 pm

Surely if its been serviced in October there shouldn't be a problem...?

Ours has been rather noisy lately which is a worry! Glad you are still able to keep warm
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 13th, 2017, 8:19 pm

We have HOT WATER and WARM RADIATORS!

Insurance co. said that the boiler 'was not an economic repair', and the 'best' thery could do was to offer us a fraction of the cost of a new one. However, we got in touch with the guy who does our servicing and he got his mate, who is an expert in our make of boiler, to come this morning. He fixed it without any problem (it needed a new motherboard).
Insurance company will be sent his bill, along with a complaint about their attitude and leaving us in the freezing cold for FIVE DAYS!

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 13th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Oil boiler here, but needs tricity to start it up :( Thank god for open fires :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 14th, 2017, 7:27 am

Glad to hear all is up and running now. Ours had a new motherboard a few years ago ... Thd bill for parts and fitting was around £200 IIRC.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 14th, 2017, 9:53 am

I worry about my 90 year-old mother.
Her house is all electric - she had the gas taken out in the 1970s, which to me was a bit weird given the 3-day week and the power cuts.
I was very young at the time but I remember asking if it was the right thing to do.
Eggs in one basket and all that.

We have a gas hob, and a woodburner in the sitting room so if the worst happens we can boil a pan of water for hot drinks and sleep downstairs.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 14th, 2017, 10:23 am

Are her supply company aware that she's 90 years old? If not let them know ... they have a list of vulnerable customers who will be given priority if problems arise.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Kitewatcher » December 14th, 2017, 10:46 am

Telling people they need a new boiler because theirs is obsolete is a scam and the companies should be ashamed of themselves.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 14th, 2017, 11:14 am

Our boiler is 40 years old. I installed it myself. I’ve done three major repairs on it in that time. It still works. There are no gas leaks.

It’s getting tired, and the place I get my bits from is likely to close soon when the owner retires. :(

I did consider insurance as I’m getting too old to do all this sort of thing, but all the companies want me to put in a new boiler first, because mine is too old!!

I’m also concerned about getting a new gas cooker. Our current one is gas only and works in power cuts. Modern ones have electric valves and ignition, and won’t work if the power goes off. They say there’s a risk of gas being turned on and not lit if there’s no electric control. But it’s equally dangerous if I get no heat or hot food.

Maybe oil fired portable heaters and camping stoves is the safe way to the future... :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » December 14th, 2017, 11:25 am

Glad you're all fixed Grassy :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ours packed up this time last year and boiler man condemned it. Thankfully, new boiler was installed before Christmas (and our gas bills have halved. Can't believe what a difference it's made. Well worth the expense).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 14th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Interestingly we have had the boiler man out this week as one of the radiators had failed. The boiler is about 25 years old and he can still get parts etc although we did discuss that one of the advantages of having a new boiler is how much more efficient they are. He estimated at least 25% saving on our existing system.
We have a gas contract with said local independent heating engineers, he is happy to keep on replacing parts etc until he can’t find the spares - hopefully we are a way off this point.
BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 14th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Obviously it depends on your usage, but how many years of 25% saving will be needed to pay for the new boiler installation?

The other issue is that many of the efficient boilers are the combi type instant heaters. Again no hot water in reserve in a power cut.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Grasshopper » December 14th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Thank god for open fires :tu: :tu:

Ours was a godsend when we had no heating! The mogs loved it. There are three of them on the rug at this very moment, and little Dixie is in the armchair fast asleep :luv:

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 12th, 2018, 9:14 pm

I've bumped this thread instead of starting a new one about the same subject.
After a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing, (and a couple of stiff letters from Mum), the insurance co. finally coughed up the full cost of the repair man's bill, plus a little extra as 'a goodwill gesture'.

BUT

Yesterday of all days, the wretched thing decided to play up again! Mum got in touch with the repair man this morning, but while he was able to diagnose what was wrong from Mum's description, (it was a different part this time), he wouldn't be able to fit us in until APRIL! :o (He has to come from LANCASHIRE!) However, after a long think, the decision has been taken to cut losses and get a new boiler.
It will be expensive, BUT it will be more efficient than our old wreck, plus we will get a proper survey tomorrow, a brand new boiler, which will be fitted on Wednesday, AND a parts and labour guarantee for the next TEN YEARS!

Hopefully we will have no more trouble for a while!
Grasshopper
Last edited by Grasshopper on March 13th, 2018, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Amber » March 12th, 2018, 9:26 pm

There used to be some kind of financial incentive if your boiler was over a certain age, but I’ve no idea if it’s still available.
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 14th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Good luck with the new boiler situation! :hi5:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 14th, 2018, 7:31 pm

It wasn't a Servowarm one was it??
In the UK we had big time troubles with them. Possibly one of the majot reasons we moved here!! Good luck anyway :hug:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 15th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Ratatouille wrote:It wasn't a Servowarm one was it??
In the UK we had big time troubles with them. Possibly one of the majot reasons we moved here!! Good luck anyway :hug:

No - I don't think we've ever had one of those. The one we've just got rid of was an Ariston - the new one is a Zanussi. It's all fitted & working, BUT we need to find out how to lower the heating, as the radiators get VERY hot and It can't be done with the dial :?
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 17th, 2018, 10:16 am

Grasshopper wrote:the new one is a Zanussi. It's all fitted & working, BUT we need to find out how to lower the heating, as the radiators get VERY hot and It can't be done with the dial

Is there no temperature control on the boiler itself Grassy ? Or a thermostat somewhere downstairs that controls the boiler, or the temperature control knobs on each radiator ? I have all of those ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 17th, 2018, 7:43 pm

It's worth having temperature controls installed onto each radiator if you haven't got them, you can then keep rooms you don't use much at a lower temperature and it saves money as well as being more comfortable. As Pat says, you should have a thermostat for the heating somewhere. I had a new boiler installed a few years ago now but it came with a thermostat control I could carry from room to room so I can control the temperature of any room I am spending time in.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 18th, 2018, 8:56 pm

We have a mobile thermo-whatsit - we just need to learn the instructions ;)
:lol:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 19th, 2018, 9:45 am

The installation engineer should have shown you have to change the temperature at the very least...... :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Bubbles » March 19th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Grasshopper wrote:We have a mobile thermo-whatsit - we just need to learn the instructions ;)
:lol:
Grasshopper

Sorry if this is stating the obvious and you've already done it but if you google the boiler make along with operating instructions you should get help online. Maybe even a YouTube video?
Bubbles
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop