ISO Herbidacious

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

ISO Herbidacious

Postby slimpersoninside » December 22nd, 2017, 4:11 pm

Hi herbi, do you mind me asking you something?

I've just been looking at your recent pictures on the photo thread and saw the underground tunnel and shaft. This reminded me it was you (I think so anyway) that went for a visit to 55 Broadway. Would you mind telling me what you thought of these tours. Hubby is a keen photographer and would, I think, enjoy photographing this sort of thing.

Thank you.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Re: ISO Herbidacious

Postby Herbidacious » December 22nd, 2017, 8:14 pm

Hello

Yes of course. They are run by the London Transport Museum:

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/hidden-london

It can be quite hard to get tickets for some of them as they are very small tours - 8-9 people so the bets thing to do is get yourself on the mailing list. They will then give you advance notice to tickets sales, so you can be there waiting to go on the web site at the appointed time (I was put 'on hold' to get on the website for these.)
They are quite expensive but well worth it.

I am keen to go on the Down Street one.

You get a free one or half day pass to the Transport museum included in the ticket price.

I also hope to go on the New Postal Museum underground railway in the New Year (it's been very hard to get tickets for that too.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » December 22nd, 2017, 9:11 pm

Thank you.

I'm with you on the Postal Museum railway, must go sometime.

As a fan of art deco hubby would love to take the 55 Broadway tour, as long as he could take plenty of photos. Is photography allowed on this tour?
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 22nd, 2017, 9:15 pm

My sis and her partner who is 6 ft 8 are doing the Mail train next Thursday! I’ll try and get her to report back.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 22nd, 2017, 10:29 pm

re 55 Broadway, yes, you can take photos, and we all were doing. Not sure if we were allowed flash. A lot of my pics came out very grainy (low lighting, high ISO, not big enough aperture.) You can get some great shots of London from on the roofs too. The future of this building (or it's use, at least) is a bit uncertain I think, so good idea to go before it gets converted into flats or some such :( V glad I got to go round The Old Sessions House on Clerkenwell Green before they started work to turn it into flats, retail units and restaurants.

My colleagues 'bought' me a 'ticket' (i.e. drew one and gave me some cash) for! my 50th birthday present :) I had gone on about it for ages before it opened. One of the guys on the Euston tour (I was the only woman ;) ) had been on it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 22nd, 2017, 10:37 pm

BTW there are two version of the Euston 'tour'. The one I went one had very little tour involved, as it was aimed at photographers. They do another one in which you see more, but presumably have less opportunity to take photos - or at least less time. I actually could have done with a bit less time. We were split into pairs and allocated a guide with a torch. I was on my own (shades of not being picked for the team at school ;) ) I think with another person i would have used up the whole allocated time.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » December 23rd, 2017, 12:29 pm

Thank you for the info Herbi, it's been most helpful. I will definately try to book a 55 Broadway tour.

Shame you were on your own for the Euston tour, hope you got some good photos.

PP, I'm guessing it will be quite interesting for your sisters partner trying to fold himself into one of those carriages, on TV they didn't look exactly roomy.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 23rd, 2017, 12:34 pm

No they didn’t but apparently a similarly-sized friend had done it with no complaints so they are optimistic. :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 9th, 2018, 9:00 am

I don't know if anyone is interested, but tickets went on sale for HIdden London events on Friday. There are still some places left. The Euston one - the one with the marvellous film etc. posters - has some availability. This one won't run again after this year. They are demolishing the old station and thus entrance TFL can use to make way for HS2. So last chance to see...

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/hidden-london

I was on the Clapham wartime shelters one yesterday.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop