Beware dodgy checkouts trying to con you

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Beware dodgy checkouts trying to con you

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 7th, 2018, 6:32 am

I would guess that in the main we are already quite savvy at checking prices charged, receipts, change given, but worth a reminder to keep your wits about you folks!

A few things that have happened to me over the past few months.

One family run newsagent/mini market/off licence. Not only do they charge to withdraw cash, they also charge on debit card transactions under £5 without actually telling you, they just add it on. There is no notice up. They have short changed me a few times. They have added items to my over all shopping basket that weren't there. They happily gave me out of date £1 coins (I didn't spot this) then kicked up a fuss when I tried to spend them in there. No need to name and shame. I have boycotted them as my main local retailer. That's enough for me.

Yesterday, a well known homeware store had an item in its sale that I wanted. A silicone spatula. I had seen one in Sainsbury's sale but at £2.99 thought this was pricey as there was nothing special about it. I researched others online and found a retailer had dropped from £2.29 to £1.72. With the exact amount of loose change in my pocket, I went to my local branch. Checked the shelf. In teeny weeny print the discount was confirmed. At checkout however, the full price came up. I know we are only talking pennies here, but I hate dishonesty and really wanted that spatula! I queried it, and without a bat of an eyelid, and within moments, the cashier had the manager tap his screen to over-ride the full price to discounted price. It was already in there. Nobody checked to see if I was being honest, they knew I was! Ooh, ouch. Had I not had the right change on me or not been penny pinching, or maybe buying multiple items and not checked my receipt, this item would have sailed through unquestioned..... :evil:

I just heard my favourite song on the radio by the way........'Home, home on the range, where the deer and the antelope playeeeeee!' .....;dupe; :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Beware dodgy checkouts trying to con you

Postby hickybank » January 7th, 2018, 12:27 pm

I did my shop as usual at Morrisons this week, checked the list & prices & found I had been charged £2.54 for one Red Onion, went back & when they checked I had been charged for a sack of red Onions got full refund plus the Onion, they should cover cost of returning to the store as well though, I suppose I could have pushed it but didn't bother
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 7th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Our supermarket had household linen on sale last week. A lot of it waas bio and fair so I selected what I thought was 2 king sized fitted sheets. The label said 2 for the price of 1. When i got it home there was only one sheet so back we had to go yesterday where we were told you could, in fact have two of anything in that range for the price of the more expensive. It wasn't made clear anywhere and the girl at the desk told us not to worry it had fooled most people.

Fine and we got the second item BUT we live in a very rural area and some folk only come into town once a week or even once a fortnight. No farmer, or his partner, are going to drive 30km to get what they were due. I think the check out should be warned to check - or were they hoping that it would happen??
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Kacey » January 7th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Must admit, some shops and supermarkets are so slow to update their till prices that I make sure I always, always check the receipt when I buy anything discounted or on offer.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 7th, 2018, 3:34 pm

It’s about the only advantage I know of using the self service tills. I put things through so slowly that I always notice the price.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Kacey » January 7th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Self service is also good for getting rid of a purse full of small change.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 7th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Not at Waitrose though. All the ones round here only take cards. Drives me mad. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » January 7th, 2018, 6:51 pm

i've rarely had checkout problems and those i have had have been computer based ones where, possibly, the computer hadn't been updated to shelf price offers etc. i don't take it that they're trying to con me.
often, when i've bought reduced/sale things they been cheaper than the label says - i don't complain.
i usually (but not always) pass a quick eye over the receipt to make sure it's all in order.
if there's a self checkout i usually use that.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Our supermarket had household linen on sale last week. A lot of it waas bio and fair so I selected what I thought was 2 king sized fitted sheets. The label said 2 for the price of 1. When i got it home there was only one sheet so back we had to go yesterday where we were told you could, in fact have two of anything in that range for the price of the more expensive. It wasn't made clear anywhere and the girl at the desk told us not to worry it had fooled most people.Fine and we got the second item BUT we live in a very rural area and some folk only come into town once a week or even once a fortnight. No farmer, or his partner, are going to drive 30km to get what they were due. I think the check out should be warned to check - or were they hoping that it would happen?

If it says two for the price of one here it always means two individual packages, so everyone knows to pick up two - if they are already in the pack it will be flashed as a double package, and the label will say double package for the price of a single, I think most people understand the convention

I am surprised they said nothing at checkout, the staff in Morrison's would have checked you really only needed one
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2018, 7:42 pm

I too find staff in most large stores very helpful when there is a special offer one might have missed. That said, there can be huge errors between shelf labelling and the till. I find it hard to remember all the exact prices but notice if it is glaringly different or if a marked down price hasn't been applied. People I know who religiously check their bills nearly always find some error.

I like self-service tills but did a double take recently when I weighed a bunch of bananas and it came up as £69! The assistant had some bother fixing it too.

As for truly unscrupulous traders such as the one Tezza has experienced, they really need watching.

It isn't penny pinching Tezza. No-one wants their money taken unexpectedly, least of all when living on a tight budget. I remember a time when I had very little money and needed sanitary items. I stood in the Coop counting out every last half penny from the lining of my bag and pockets and managed to muster up the amount marked on the shelf. I got to the till and it came up as 2p more. I had to query it as I didn't have 2p more. So embarrassing as the assistant waved said items in the air and shouted for the manager as a queue formed behind me ... but at least I got my items at the marked price in the end!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 7th, 2018, 7:45 pm

StokeySue wrote:I am surprised they said nothing at checkout, the staff in Morrison's would have checked you really only needed one

Same here, Sue - the staff in the Morrison's near to me are excellent.
Gruney
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 7th, 2018, 9:59 pm

It's one of the reasons that I'm happy to do the general shopping. If I go with OH it takes too long as she adds it all up as it's put in the trolley. Then if her total doesn't match the total at the checkout, she will sit and go through the bill and the items bought and check it all over again. Life's too short to go supermarket shopping unless I do it on my own.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 7th, 2018, 10:56 pm

Something my mum mentioned today in Sainsbury's as she pushed our mini trolley around was a funny plastic holder thing attached to the handlebars. I'd never noticed them before. She said they always interfere with her rather voluptuous right bosom (well, they both are, she's not lop sided :lol:) and I presume they are to hold a pricing scanner contraption, the likes of which I have only seen being used in Waitrose and never in this particular store. Does anyone here use them? I wonder if they eliminate the problem of shelf price differing with price charged at the till.

EM - the sanitary situation was a tad indiscreet! Kind of reminds me when I bumped into my sister and her new partner in same Sainsbury's. Only the second time I'd met him. Unbeknown to me as a joke he slipped a pack of feminine parts itch relief cream into my basket. I placed it on the conveyor belt without realising, then on seeing it come through to the packing area embarrassingly told the cashier this was a mistake, I did not require this cream! The cashier had to call a manager to help her refund this item off the final bill. You know where they press a buzzer and a light above them flashes.....meanwhile a curious queue was forming behind me....... :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 7th, 2018, 11:12 pm

It's common practice for small shops to add a charge for debit/credit transactions as banks charge them for each one, large shops rarely do as they absorb the cost themselves. However the charge is being made illegal this year, March springs to mind, but small shops are up in arms about that as it will reduce their profits and have said that they will have no alternative but to increase prices to compensate.

I rarely check my bill at the till because I have have a rough idea of what I should pay and provided it's within that range I won't bother. As aero says life's too short to check.

It would never occur to me to think that if an item is advertised as two for one then a single pack would contain both and I would automatically pick up two and as those deals are common place here I would be surprised if anyone made such an assumption that one pack contained both.

The law comes into effect next Saturday 13 January
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40648641

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 8th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Tezza - that's awful :lol: :lol:

I keep meaning to use the scanning things but forget. I think they only have them in Waitrose here and I don't get a lot there but they do have them at the Sainsburys Savacentre in Reading where I go sometimes. Waitrose need them, their till service is so abysmal.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 8th, 2018, 7:38 pm

For years I boycotted self service checkouts. Why should I do the supermarkets job for them? And ultimately it means less people are employed.

However, I will now admit to being completely two faced about this position.........I detest food shopping and just want to get in and out of the supermarket as fast as possible......so I do use self scanners at both Tesco and Waitrose. It saves huge amounts of time and the continuous loading and unloading of the trolley.

A side benefit is that you can easily see if the scanned price matches the shelf price, I have found that Waitrose don’t always have the shelf price programmed in, especially if there is a special offer. I can’t say that I have ever found a discrepancy at Tesco’s.

So, I’m a hypocrite, but I do get my shopping done much quicker and more efficiently.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 8th, 2018, 7:50 pm

For years when self service was first introduced I boycotted the service for the very same reason. Then in my need for speed I was selfishly converted. Now I can take my time and usually my shoulder doesn't allow me to whizz through as quickly as I'd like, which leaves me with other shoppers snapping at my heels to finish, so I am now back to checkouts. Another reason is something always goes wrong when I use self service. The bar code won't scan, I can't find the item, unannounced item in bagging, need authorisation, etc.....this is made worse if my mum is with me. She seems to get more problems than I do, although the trolley scanner holder thing in the boob isn't an issue. :lol:

For now I will be stringent over my receipts.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » January 8th, 2018, 8:44 pm

A few days ago I popped down to our local mini-Tesco. I normally shop there without any problems. I bought 2 newspapers, but as I left, I suddenly realised I'd been given the wrong change. I scooted back pronto & told the cashier. No, she said, I hadn't been given the wrong change.

Luckily, she had given me a receipt. (sp?) When I looked at it, it said, along with my newspapers, 'loose banana 22p' I hadn't bought any bananas, loose or otherwise. She didn't know hoe it had got onto the receipt, but I got the 22p back

MORAL: When buying from even a small supermarket, ALWAYS get a receipt for your purchase, however small or ordinary.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2018, 11:28 pm

I avoid using self service tills, I find it quite difficult to read the screens
I occasionally use them if I don't have much
Lidl, bless, have 14 self service tills and one or two humans on ordinary tills. There is also a human directing the traffic, and it all works quite well.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby jrc » January 9th, 2018, 8:28 am

When I go shopping I am acutely aware of the price of everything that goes in my trolley. The only exception being loose fruit and veg. I watch as each item goes through the checkout scanner using the served checkouts.

I usually use Tesco or Asda, occasionally Sainsbury’s. Recently, we have had two new Aldi open. I am suddenly aware you cannot see the screen as items are scanned and you only get to know the total when they print out the receipt. :evil:

I always check through the receipt and to be fair have not been overcharged yet but still check the receipt prior to leaving the store. Again, even if they did have a visible screen they fire the stuff through the scanner so fast most people would struggle to pack and observe at the same time. :rolleyes:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 9th, 2018, 10:01 am

Mr R was in the supermarket yesterday and he said there were 2 people at the information desk with the same sheet problem as we had. way in which they were folded on a hanger thing really did make it look as if there were two together.This shop does have some very good bargains but their organisation and stff training are dreadful so the staff never know what they are selling.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 9th, 2018, 10:41 am

I always check my receipt before leaving the supermarket. Morrison are one of the worst for mistakes. Not only at the till but with items on the shelf. They put more expensive items behind the cheaper price shown on the shelf. You don't always notice until you go treough the checkout. I am forever at the customer service desk complaining and getting items changed.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 9th, 2018, 11:13 am

jrc wrote: Again, even if they did have a visible screen they fire the stuff through the scanner so fast most people would struggle to pack and observe at the same time. :rolleyes:

That's because in Aldi you are supposed to chuck everything back in the trolley and then pack on the window packing places. (I've just been to Aldi where there was an "incident" with a customer who had not read the instructions over the packing area).
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 9th, 2018, 11:15 am

Pepper Pig wrote:
jrc wrote: Again, even if they did have a visible screen they fire the stuff through the scanner so fast most people would struggle to pack and observe at the same time. :rolleyes:

That's because in Aldi you are supposed to chuck everything back in the trolley and then pack on the window packing places. (I've just been to Aldi where there was an "incident" with a customer who had not read the instructions over the packing area).

My local Aldi is always full of people trying to pack at the tills - very annoying! It makes trying to guess which queue will move fastest almost impossible! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2018, 11:23 am

Take the full trolley to your car boot which should be full of bags, and pack there ... much better than packing at the window places ... unless it's raining. :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby spottymint » January 10th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Watch the cash back scam, if your in a rush, say "NO", but the assistant is dodgy, they stick £5 on.. I had that at a major retailer, amazing how she whipped it out of the till when serving the next customer and didn't want the manager involved. How many fivers tucked in her uniform ?
spottymint
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2018, 3:52 pm

It should be said that sometimes the discrepancies work in your favour.
Every time I get to the till in Wilko the total ends up being less than I calculated from the shelf edge tickets :?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop