Who fancies this then?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Who fancies this then?

Postby Pepper Pig » January 7th, 2018, 5:41 pm

Jay Rayner goes to the theatre.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... cs-verdict

The first time I ever met my OH was at the then Uxbridge Technical College which did a Catering Course alongside another department who did Music and Drama. We were engaged to play in The Mikado which was performed in the round with the audience dining as they watched, catered and served by the other department. It was pretty innovative in 1972! I don't think I've come across it since.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Who fancies this then?

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2018, 5:53 pm

That sounds rather good (both the Mikado and the NT)
Not come across it with theatre, though of course it's normal in jazz clubs such a Ronnie Scott's, and I have occasionally been given a glass of wine when the production ended with an on stage party the audience might join (Godspell for sure, but I think there were others)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 7th, 2018, 6:03 pm

i'm not sure that i would want food that distracted me from the play or the sort of play that would distract me from the full enjoyment of the food.
i enjoy my pasty and bottle of beer at the minack (but then the pasty is finished before the start anyway) but thats hardly in the league of the food served in the article - thank goodness.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Whilst this kind of thing isn't exactly new, I like to give my full concentration to the visual arts and am not sure I would enjoy the dinner ceremony (which I also enjoy) going on at the same time.

When I think of how distracting and irritating it is when people order coffee or food during the talks at a small society I belong to - eating noises, cutlery against china, cups on saucers etc., or how very distracting it is when people eat during a performance in the theatre or cinema, I don't see why this would be different. I think I prefer the style of a dinner-dance sort of thing where dinner comes first and then the entertainment.

That said, I wouldn't mind trying it if someone else was paying!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » January 7th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:We were engaged to play in The Mikado which was performed in the round with the audience dining as they watched, catered and served by the other department. It was pretty innovative in 1972! I don't think I've come across it since

Oh that sounds wonderful
Catherine
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 7th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Some years ago we went to the restaurant in Madrid where the waiting staff sing operatic arias between courses. At least that way the waiters are not serving food during the entertainment! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Ah yes, they used to do the opera thing in the Battersea Little Bay, quite fun
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop