When did you last encounter an ignoramus on the street?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

When did you last encounter an ignoramus on the street?

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 10th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Or in public in general?

Today's unfortunate imbecile made me inwardly seethe! :evil:

Physio for this morning was a planned walk to The Range to buy a window bird feeder to sit just underneath my roof in view of my main seating area. The walk, as always, was hard work. My back was killing me when I got there. Found the window feeder I wanted, queried with a nearby member of staff which bird food would be best for it. We perused the bird food on sale, chatted a bit, checked the price on the shelf for a 1.5kg bag of wild seeds and grains, it was unclear but could possibly be £3.79, so I took it to the checkout for a price scan. £1! Yep, I'll take it! With my sparrow goodies under my arm and feeling happy and productive about my day so far I walked home and passing my local general store had to pop in for a couple of bulky and heavy items. I asked the shop assistant if he could double bag them as their handles are weak and I had forgotten my bag for life. Easy? A-herm.....

Shop assistant wrapped my items in one bag fine, but after that I think his brain cells went missing. The second bag was flapping and rolling around his wrist and missing the spot completely. He huffed a couple of times before reluctantly asking me, and not politely, if I could at least help him, which I did of course, trying not to laugh.

Bloke in queue behind me looked on. Never seen him before in my life. His comment to shop assistant?

'Ha mate, blimey, never take her on a shopping trip with you, you'd never get your shopping home in one piece.' :x

He didn't even deserve a backwards glance let alone a hefty slap around the face. :evil: I laughed in his general direction instead. I wonder if he managed to roll out of the shop and back underneath the nearest stone in one piece. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: When did you last encounter an ignoramus on the street?

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 1:16 pm

When did I last encounter an ignoramus on the street? Nearly every time I go out ...... today's was the idiot who decided he'd waited long enough at the traffic lights and drove across the crossroads right in front of me against the red light .... good job one of us was going slowly enough to slam the brakes on and avoid smashing in the side of his nice shiny car wasn't it? :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2018, 1:26 pm

He's probably the sort who says "Cheer up, love it may never happen." Tezza. :evil: I suspect an example of everyday sexism too. Probably wouldn't have said this if you were a bloke.

I shouldn't laugh. It's not nice, but I couldn't stop myself turning round to stare briefly at the person who while walking down Euston road said in a very loud, Landan accent to his friend, "That's St Pancreas over there." Perhaps more ignorant than ignoramus in the sense I think you mean it. (Although the latter does mean the former too.)

Every time we go out driving near home someone does something stupid/dangerous/exploitative/rude. It's like a hazard awareness test (which I got 100% for as it was pretty much like my average driving lesson.) SE London is one big hazard awareness test!
Last edited by Herbidacious on January 10th, 2018, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 10th, 2018, 5:34 pm

We spent a couple of days in London over the holiday and I was amazed at the morons who walk around with their chins on their chests looking at their phones - and with earphones in. I didn't see why I should be avoiding them by stepping aside all the time - so I would stick to my route and simply stop in front of them. They'd eventually look up and see me - I can see how people get run over or fall into holes in the ground! Don't get me started on the stupid pouty-faced selfies that every female under the age of 30 seemed to think necessary to take at every opportunity. In the National Gallery a girl was taking staged shots of herself in front of paintings!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Do people really not do that elsewhere Meganthemog?! It does sound like your were in Touristeville, so probably not a single Londoner amongst those you mention.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 10th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I don't know Herbie - it was most noticeable as the pavements were crowded. I couldn't tell you if they were Londoners (by which I take it you mean someone who lives in London and not a tourist) except for the fact that they were evidently walking with a purpose to or from work - not ambling around tourist-like. I haven't noticed this phenomenon locally - but there again we have beautiful views to be admired and it would be a waste not to enjoy them!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Meganthemog wrote:- but there again we have beautiful views to be admired and it would be a waste not to enjoy them!

you're obviously not in swansea at the moment then! (tee hee)

(unless you're down on the beach looking towards the gower).
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 10th, 2018, 7:48 pm

The people who really get up my nose are the tourists to this touristy area.

OK I know they provide much needed income but thank the Lord they are only here for 7/8 months a year. That is why we love winter so much.

Each nationality has their own particular annoying traits. Brits with loud voices and braying laughter in restaurants, Americans demanding instant service and meals to be finished by 7.00pm, Oriental nationals with their cameras and slefie sticks and complete disregard of anyone trying to go about their daily business and the Dutch with their uncontrolled kids, to name just a few.

Believe me you can ask anyone involved in the tourist industry and they know they are doing a good job and they need the tourists but they could all write a long list of things they wish were better, Simple courtesy and sensitivity would be a great start.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 10th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Ah yes, idiots on the road. Round here there are more idiots than there are non idiots. I am usually passenger in mum's car since I sold my car, usually with my nephew (4) in the front passenger seat. En route to and from my home we have to drive underneath a railway through a tunnel which has a weird angle to it. Two cars will just fit but only if you both approach slowly and line up with each other which comes with practise. The amount of times someone comes belting through from other direction, almost taking the front of your car off, then has the cheek to beep and gesticulate towards you. Or some impatient muppet behind, irate because you have slowed down, beeping, flashing. One 'man' (???) did this, overtook through the built up area the other side of the tunnel, window wide open and shouting all the abuse under the sun, this at two females and a toddler. Disgraceful.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 10th, 2018, 9:58 pm

That could have been humour Tezza, although you might describe him as an 'ignoramous' it does not mean he is. One thing that the British are famous for is to laugh in the face of adversity.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 11th, 2018, 12:30 pm

scullion wrote:
Meganthemog wrote:- but there again we have beautiful views to be admired and it would be a waste not to enjoy them!

you're obviously not in swansea at the moment then! (tee hee)

(unless you're down on the beach looking towards the gower).

I'd have to disagree Scully - Swansea has an awful lot to offer, which is why so many graduates from our Universities stay. There aren't very many cities in the UK that have miles of fabulous coastline. Yes Gower is beautiful (note it is not called the Gower just as you wouldn't say the Exeter :D )
Our city centre is being regenerated - remember that a lot of it was re-built in a hurry following its devastation during WWII.
Maybe you should come for a visit and see the changes :wave:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2018, 1:09 pm

We all have places we like more than others - a very personal thing ;)

I expect many of us has worked with the general public at some time or another and never cease to be amazed at what different individuals consider to be reasonable behaviour. I really feel that people used to know what was acceptable behaviour and what wasn't (drummed in at home, school and everywhere else ad nauseum) and could then make the choice of whether they wanted to conform or not. I don't think that happens so much now and people are genuinely surprised if you suggest that their actions have not taken the feelings of others into consideration. Of course, we never know what another person is feeling and can easily offend even when we don't mean to ...... what a minefield!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » January 11th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Meganthemog wrote:I'd have to disagree Scully - Swansea has an awful lot to offer, which is why so many graduates from our Universities stay. [..] Maybe you should come for a visit and see the changes

i didn't mean to insult swansea - you have 'exotica' - one of the best asian supermarkets i've been to outside of wembley.
although both of my young went to swansea uni - as many kids from cornwall do - neither wanted to stay. it's well known that many students stay in the place they went to uni for a few years but one of mine went on to do postgrad at oxford, the other couldn't wait to come home.

has the city centre changed in the last four years?
i found it as dire as plymouth - another war victim with a lack of architectural merit (along with stevenage new town, the bit of birmingham i went to some years ago - and brent cross shopping centre).
you may gather from this that i'm not really very fond of the urban environment, especially those victim to the attack of post war concrete. my lack of appreciation is spread wide over many towns/cities so don't take my indifference to swansea to heart - there are shops in truro city centre that i think would be better pulled down and replaced with something aesthetically pleasing and truro (a city with a population of around 20,000) doesn't have the excuse of having been bombed.

i meant to say the mumbles - the gower peninsula can't be seen from swansea, silly me - but i did have a nice ice-cream in gower and a pleasant if overpriced meal in a small cafe/restaurant there. my pint of gower gold was very pleasant.
the tee hee was there to show it was a tongue in cheek comment.

ps why did that get changed to tee tee‽
Last edited by scullion on January 11th, 2018, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby Kitewatcher » January 11th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Cardiff has always thought their city was better than Swansea; and having been born and bred in Cardiff I have to agree.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 11th, 2018, 6:39 pm

If Morriston may be regarded as Swansea - you'll have to put me right if not - there was a time when they had the finest Male Voice Choir I've ever had the good fortune to hear.
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 11th, 2018, 9:05 pm

I have to go into Luton town centre tomorrow, and I can almost guarantee that everyone on the bus there and back will be well behaved and polite, the many unfortunate people lining the streets begging for coinage will all smile at me and will mean no harm, I will probably encounter a bit of an uneducated individual in the EE store but lack of training is not their fault, the indoor market stall holders will bend over backwards as usual to help me find the items that I need at the best price.....the first ignoramus that I will encounter will be my so called 'work coach'. I know this for a fact. It is about as predictable as sunrise in the morning.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 11th, 2018, 10:36 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have to go into Luton town centre tomorrow, and I can almost guarantee that everyone on the bus there and back will be well behaved and polite, the many unfortunate people lining the streets begging for coinage will all smile at me and will mean no harm, I will probably encounter a bit of an uneducated individual in the EE store but lack of training is not their fault, the indoor market stall holders will bend over backwards as usual to help me find the items that I need at the best price.....the first ignoramus that I will encounter will be my so called 'work coach'. I know this for a fact. It is about as predictable as sunrise in the morning.

Tezza, it's a bit unfair to call your work coach an 'ignoramous'. The folk working in JCP offices try to do their best in very difficult circumstances and are governed by the rigid rules that they have to adhere to. Granted that some are better at dealing with folk than others but that's the same in every job and you possibly encountered it in your previous employments.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 11th, 2018, 11:44 pm

I am not being unfair at all. It is clearly straightforward. If my work coach can get up in the morning knowing she will have to blatantly lie through her teeth to get her job done then she is either stupid, cruel, immoral, or desperate to earn money to suit her current situation. Maybe new earrings? A new pair of boots? In my JC they are dripping in both. She might want to feed her kids, give them a happy Christmas. My work coach made my December hell, whether she meant to or not. I might show her this tomorrow.

Here:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... /ignoramus

It fits the bill if you ask me.

Maybe there are good work coaches out there that can find me suitable work, in that case :kneel: bring them on.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 12th, 2018, 8:14 am

I wouldn't go down that road Teresa. As a "customer" there are rules that you must stick to as well. If you feel your complaint is genuine then you must ask to speak to her line manager in the first instance.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop