Do you think this will work

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Do you think this will work

Postby hickybank » January 11th, 2018, 8:52 am

I have had a Jamie Oliver recipe for years now in my file but never tried it
" Barola poached Fillet Steak with Celeriac Puree

However Fillet is my least favorite cut of Steak, just my palate I suppose ( I find it tasteless) but I have a lovely thick cut of Rump.
I know rump is not as tender but in my mind far more flavorsome
The Steak is poached in the wine with Garlic, Thyme, Peppercorns & Salt, A sauce is then made from the cooking liquid & served with the Celeriac Puree, I will also intend to add Asparagus.us to the meal
So what do you think (personal tastes aside)
I was thinking perhaps poach it, try a sliver then flash fry if not as expected.
Your thoughts folk's ??
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Re: Do you think this will work

Postby StokeySue » January 11th, 2018, 9:30 am

I think the poaching specifies fillet because of the soft texture, I suspect that if you poach rump you will hust end up with a stew with a poor texture.
But I don't know not having tried though
Having said which, despite all the shouting by chefs about fillet being essential for Stroganoff it works very well with good rump (I have cooked both), it's essentially a stir fry after all
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 9:38 am

I think the poaching in Barola is precisely because of the lack of flavour in most (although not all) fillets of beef. If using a flavoursome piece of rump I would rather cook it to my liking and make a sauce from the Barola etc to serve with it.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 11th, 2018, 10:16 am

If you're not sure it'd work use a cheaper wine than barolo, like a merlot, to test it out - unless you're as rich as Jamie oliver and you can sacrifice the barolo. I'm sure there comes a point above which the quality of the wine, used in cooking, is wasted.
I would definitely not insult the barolo with cooking it - unless it was just a thimble full - far too nice (and expensive) a wine.
scullion
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 11th, 2018, 10:18 am

We've made this many times and follow the recipe exactly. It used to be a favourite of ours but we haven't had it for a couple of years.

The poaching works excellently with fillet but I think i'd griddle/fry rump and make the sauce separately as Suffolk suggests.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 11th, 2018, 10:50 am

Thanks for all your input folks, all good points
I must admit using Barola did make me wince, I have plenty of good quality full bodied wines so may change, having said that Barola has long been my favorite wine for special occasions, ( I discovered it about 15 years ago in Germany after a successful business trip, it cost £50 then in a smart restaurant) ( good job my firm were paying :lol: :lol: :lol: )
So I think I will poach to start to release some juice into the sauce ( I will keep my eye on it to see it does not start to break up
Finish off on the grill & see what we get, fingers crossed it will be delish
Will let you know how it turns out, will have it this Fri/Sat to celebrate our house move

Thanks
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 11:22 am

I'd not want to poach my rump ;) ... I like it done in a hot dry pan about 2 mins each side maximum .... depends how you like it I suppose

:idea: Just a thought ... if you're grilling your rump ;) why not put some of the wine into the grill pan beneath the rack which the steak sits on to be grilled ... then any escaping juices will drip into the wine and you can make the sauce with that while the steak rests.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 11th, 2018, 1:25 pm

suffolk wrote:I'd not want to poach my rump ;) ... I like it done in a hot dry pan about 2 mins each side maximum .... depends how you like it I suppose

:idea: Just a thought ... if you're grilling your rump ;) why not put some of the wine into the grill pan beneath the rack which the steak sits on to be grilled ... then any escaping juices will drip into the wine and you can make the sauce with that while the steak rests.

I can understand that I would imagine it would be quite painful :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am formulating a plan.
I think I will marinade the Rump for an hour, poach for a short time then grill, some of the poaching liquid should still be on the meat for the grilling.
Serve with the Celeriac & add Garlic Parmesan roasted Asparagus
hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Let us know how it turns out :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 11th, 2018, 11:19 pm

As you say Hicks, all good points, I would marinate and then sear said meat and make a sauce with the wine and additives :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby hickybank » January 12th, 2018, 6:39 pm

O/k the verdict
"Success" :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
Poached at a very slow rolling boil for 12 mins, it was thick cut about2.5cm, beautifully pink all through & stayed firm, Fillet would have been a little more tender, but this was certainly not chewy in any way, but full of flavour.
The Celeriac mash & Asparagus were a perfect complement all wash down with a nice glass of wine.
will definitely do again :tu: :tu: :tu:
hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Glad you enjoyed it :D

I think it would have been too well done for me ... I like mine rare.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop