Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Postby liketocook » February 13th, 2018, 9:26 am

Good morning everyone,
I believe in feeding any workman if they want it, many don't and make sure hot drinks & biccies are available. Certainly in cold weather soup and/or a bacon or lorne roll never seems to be refused.

It's another cold & miserable one here. Lots of snow round about causing havoc on the roads and few rural communities effectively cut off. No snow here, there was some overnight but it's mainly away now.

I'm looking forward to pancakes tonight, gone are the days when I would seem not to be able to make enough of them as hordes of hungry boys would seem to be able to eat their own body weight of them. I might though make enough crepe type ones for savoury pancakes, then thicken the mix and make some scotch ones for the freezer. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 13th, 2018, 9:34 am

Busybee wrote:We are out in the sticks but they always arrived complete with flasks, lunch boxes and papers - in other worlds completely equipped for the day.

When I was married to a rural builder he always went 'completely equipped for the day' and he made sure his men were too ... he wasn't going to waste time going to shops and cafés during the working day ............... here we're on the edge of the city and within short walking distance of a supermarket and a café and various other food outlets are only a mile away ....... I don't want the builders going off for lunch while I'm paying them ........ I'd rather feed them myself. :tu: My ex always said he wouldn't employ a man who rolled his own cigarettes unless he brought them with him every day already rolled ... he wasn't paying him to stand still and roll a fag!!!
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 13th, 2018, 9:40 am

suffolk wrote:
Busybee wrote:We are out in the sticks but they always arrived complete with flasks, lunch boxes and papers - in other worlds completely equipped for the day.

When I was married to a rural builder he always went 'completely equipped for the day' and he made sure his men were too ... he wasn't going to waste time going to shops and cafés during the working day ............... here we're on the edge of the city and within short walking distance of a supermarket and a café and various other food outlets are only a mile away ....... I don't want the builders going off for lunch while I'm paying them ........ I'd rather feed them myself. :tu: My ex always said he wouldn't employ a man who rolled his own cigarettes unless he brought them with him every day already rolled ... he wasn't paying him to stand still and roll a fag!!!

Are you sure you weren’t married to a Yorkshireman? :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 13th, 2018, 9:51 am

scullion wrote:
except the name is due to the job they do rather than them being bouncy. i have seen some very sedate springers

Yes, if not walked enough, they can develop a rolypoly midriff. Mind, that goes for hoomans too!
Our eldest will be 9 next month and still has a svelte figure! I love to see them run on the beach - Purps knows the beach I mean on Anglesey, where you can run them safely!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 13th, 2018, 9:55 am

Our builders haven't :rolleyes: turned up...AGAIN One lot from last May looked at the job came back once and have never been seen again. So we asked another local builder to have a look at the job, yes he could do it, he would be here at the end of last week beginning of this week, no sign of him yet. Second builder had a look at an outside job, he was working at a house across the road, he said he would come back and give us a quote, not been seen again. Do these people not want work, the jobs are quite expensive so you would think they would wan the money :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: It's so annoying.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 13th, 2018, 10:10 am

Oh dear, it sounds like a job they don't want to face doing icey :(

jrc - maybe that's the best thing for Sophie today :hug: :hug:

Talking of builders, the two guys who used to do everything here (before they retired :evil: ) were friends of the man next door. At tea breaks they would go in there and have a cuppa and natter - and sometimes bought two packs of two cream cakes and gave me the last one! A very good arrangement IMO.

I have braved Morrisons in the rain (good choice actually as the car park is under cover), got two loads of washing dry and am now enjoying a :mug: whilst waiting for DS and GD. I am not used to these 'normal' hours of living and could quite easily go back to bed now.

Morrisons had a pancake day display consisting only of frying pans and Nutella :o
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 13th, 2018, 10:15 am

I have had an interesting morning. I went to Lidl as planned, no pickled artichokes but lots of pickled celery. Deb loathes celery so I gave that a miss but I stocked up on nuts etc, it will be grilled gammon, cauliflower in white sauce, green beans and baked potatoes for supper. Whilst in the store I thought that their heating was noisy, it wasn't, there was a terrific rain squall outside, I stayed inside the store. Deb tells me that she was about to do some strimming when the rain appeared out of nowhere.

A large white building has appeared on the skyline on the other side of the Kouris gorge. It is about 1 km distance as the flow cries but about 12km away via the road. I decided that as I had time after my shopping I would try and find out the purpose of the building. I drove through sheets of water up towards the Kouris Dam. I was charmed to see a rainbow hanging over the barrage of the dam, drove up a side track , parked and found that there was a field of white/mauve/pink anemones in front of me.
Whilst admiring the flowers and general view I was aware of an aerial kerfuffle to my left. It was a flock of jackdaws trying to mob a Griffon Vulture. the vulture, there were actually four of them just flapped off. I watched them for a while, they caught a thermal and drifted off.

I never did find the white building, looking across at it as i drove up our hill I think that I had not driven further enough

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 13th, 2018, 10:46 am

earthmaiden wrote:Morrisons had a pancake day display consisting only of frying pans and Nutella

Our branch had a bit more in their display but I did somehiw acquire the Nutella :oops:

It was quite bright at sunrise but has been getting darker and darker, it will rain

I need to get some work done but am having trouble gettong people even to quote
Workmen here seldom want feeding as I am near a couple of goid caffs and they like to take the opprtunity to pop in. Most seem to drink cans of soda or water rather than hot drinks, so appreciate some fridge space for that

I found a place that does furniture restoration, and sent them a full description of what I needed for my two small tables, with photos. They offered to sand and oil for a very reasonable price, which wasn't what I asked for and won't do the job. I get really annoyed with this attitude,
Me "Can you give me a quote for putting in four power points?"
Alleged workman "You don't need four in here, two will cost £xxx"
Anyway a little bird tells me if I phone on a Thursday I can speak to The Man Who Knows before I give up, screaming.

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 13th, 2018, 10:54 am

Sue .... have a look at this company .. called 'itsallaboutthewood' .... run by a father and son. They do business with our shop. (01442 877277) ... might be worth a phone call, however they are based Potten End, Herts, so not sure if they are too far out.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby jrc » February 13th, 2018, 11:04 am

jrc wrote:Just had to tranquillise the dog. :cry:

It’s not working :shock:
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 13th, 2018, 11:06 am

Nutella has no place on my pancakes. Presumably one has to eat the whole jar or save the rest until after Lent? ;)

Edited to say, perhaps she'll tire herself out and go to sleep jrc ? :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 13th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Savoury pancakes for me please. I do like a scotch pancake with butter & jam though. :) I'm not a Nutella fan - but it does make fab bait for mousetraps....... ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby jrc » February 13th, 2018, 12:16 pm

liketocook wrote:Savoury pancakes for me please. I do like a scotch pancake with butter & jam though. :) I'm not a Nutella fan - but it does make fab bait for mousetraps....... ;)

:terrified:
jrc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 13th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Sat here waiting for my mum for a trip out for coffee and she calls me to tell me there is a road closure with no diversion. So she's driving round in circles trying to either find another route here or her way back home. Really tricky as both our knowledge of Luton roads are limited and she's such a nervous driver! Feel helpless! I told her push comes to shove pull in to a petrol station, they're usually very helpful!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 13th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Afternoon Wildies :wave: :luv:

Just passing through (as per usual seem to be up to my neck in it). Mr S is eating pancakes for his lunch. He likes his with lashings of melted butter and maple syrup.

:hug: :hug: :hug: to them in need and have a happy Shrove Tuesday. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 13th, 2018, 1:18 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Nutella has no place on my pancakes.

it has no place in our home.
i was given a pancake with nutella on at a wedding last year - it was an experience i would not like to repeat.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 13th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:
Late on parade because we went into town today instead of tomorrrow because of our lunch date :luv: It was a beautiful morning with Ventoux looking especially lovely in the morning sun.

I've got pancakes ready to fill with cherries for tonight and a neighbour brought me some of the more traditional Shrove Tuesday tearts - oriettes (little ears) These are deep fried orange flower watered flavoured pastries;
https://www.cuisineactuelle.fr/recettes ... ger-202358
We had them with coffe after lunch :chops: :chops:

As for workpeople. This is France and most usual is for them to go home for lunch and take an hour off. Mind you they will have started at 8.00am and finish at 6.00 when a beer or pastis is usually offered. Cofee is usually accepted mid morning and afternoon but not usually biscuits or cake. They just don't do it.. Trapping them to start in the first place is the tricky bit :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 13th, 2018, 2:06 pm

We've just had a bowl of broccoli soup followed by pancakes for our lunch. OH had apple purée and creme fraiche with his ... there wasn't enough apple left for me (leftover from apple sauce on Sunday) so I had Thunder & Lightning ....... I didn't mind ... honest ... :oops: ;)

We're going to have cheese and ham pancakes with sweetcorn for supper. :hungry: :bounce:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 13th, 2018, 3:32 pm

No pancakes today. Lunch was far too filling! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » February 13th, 2018, 6:29 pm

scullion wrote:it has no place in our home.

Gosh, I love Nutella.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 13th, 2018, 10:58 pm

we went to lidl (or was it aldi?) after our walk on the beach, where my partner picked up a massive jar of nutella on special offer.
'do you like it?' i asked,
'i don't know - i like chocolate and i like hazelnuts'.
'did you like the pancake you had at 'blahblah's' wedding last year?'

- he put the jar back on the shelf.

it's way too sweet for me.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 13th, 2018, 11:48 pm

I was avery early adopter of Nutella
My parents and I were on holiday on the Costa Brava, I think I was ten
Lovely hotel apart from breakfast, the butter was :sprout: and the jam not much better. Dad saw a display of Nutella in a shop and thought I'd probably eat it on bread or biscottes without butter. I did
So I have been eating it intermittently ever sice, and for me it is pure nostalgia
It wasn't until it celebrated its 50th birthday in '14 I realised it hadn't, as we suppksed, been around on the Continent forever, but the big display had been because it was brand new
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 14th, 2018, 6:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, do you think that Nutella may be produced with different levels of sweetening depending on what country it is being sold. I am told
that the sweetness of Coca Cola depends on the geographical area.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 14th, 2018, 7:12 am

It's another cold one..... More rain forecast. Well the footings are in and I am reliably informed that the cement will have set rock hard by now. It's hard to imagine when you see the laying water from yesterday...? It's like a mud bath out there. :? Today is a drains day.... some have to be moved and others re-done because they were botched in the first place.

I have been feeding and watering the 2/3 chaps here to some extent because of the abhorrent weather conditions and it is so very cold at present. They get a couple of cups of tea a day - yesterday they had a cup of soup as well because it was so very cold and wet.

Better go and let the ckx. out and put the heating on and make :mug:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 14th, 2018, 7:45 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I've woken to find I have a bit of a stuffy head and a 'noisy ear' :rolleyes:
It's damp and grey out there but the bluetits are busy on the little oak tree :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 14th, 2018, 8:10 am

Good morning wild ones. Happy Valentine's day. We have a pink sky and lots of frost this morning. At least it's stopped raining :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 14th, 2018, 8:44 am

Morning all and happy valentines.

We are starting the good citizen Bronze tomorrow with boy; we were supposed to start 3 weeks ago, but we had the 'eating something he shouldn't' incident and subsequent op, so, now he's had the all clear to resume. He's been a bit of a vandal, so he needs some mental challenges.

Hope those lurgies stay at bay :hug: :hug:
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby jrc » February 14th, 2018, 9:07 am

Happy Valentine’s Day :hug:

So far it is going very well. Last night as it has been impossible to cook as I am tethered to the dog because of open doors and builders, we went out for a quick meal. We came home to find a very expensive bottle of champagne on the doorstep and it wasn’t from Bob. :shock:

The card was thanking me for going above and beyond helping someone in the call of duty. :cocktail:

It was not necessary but indeed a lovely gesture.

I have a card and some new pj’s from Bob too. :luv:

Builders back now so it is me and the dog again. At least Bob is home to help out. Sophie was really poorly yesterday despite the tranquilisor but is much better today. :D

Hope everyone is having a good day. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 14th, 2018, 9:27 am

I was searching for Nigel Slater's Citrus Cheesecake recipe, it seems to have disappeared from the Cake File but Mr Google came up with the recipe, no probs. Deb has reorganised the Cake File, we seem to have a great many recipes for Carrot Cake :rolleyes:

Grey weather here again today, all the weather forecasts for the weekend have radically changed from a bit cloudy to heavy rain. I check four weather sites and take an average from them.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 14th, 2018, 9:35 am

Morning everyone and happy valentines Day :luv: :wave:

It is a lovely morning and i am really looking forward to my lunch in the restaurant beside the river. If it were in paris it would probably be in the river.

Mr R loved his present but i haven't got mine yet. Apparently all will be revealed later! His was a limited edition of a recently published copy of the notebook of Thomas Bewick - the 18thC Northumbrian artist who did the most wonderful engravings of wild life. I have family connections and Mr R spent a very long time unravelling the history and wrote a paper on his research. By chance I heard about this book before Christmas but it took me ages to find if and where I could get a copy. I finally discovered how through the Newcastle Literary and Philosophical Society of which himself is a lifetime member. There is an extra bonus, each of the 200 books sold will mean a donation to the Lit and Phil. It is very very beautiful and gives a lovely idea of the natural life my ancestors must have experienced. - well maybe not the elephant and the zebra :lol:
https://www.google.fr/search?q=Etching+ ... 6xV8D6pQMM:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 14th, 2018, 9:52 am

Have always loved Bewick's engravings Rats :D :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » February 14th, 2018, 9:53 am

Btw I also got roses. :luv:

Bob hasn’t got his gift from me yet. I got a friend to order a book for him. It was only available on Amazon and I don’t have a PayPal account. Book is currently sitting in friends porch awaiting collection. I will pop along when the builders have left. :D
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 14th, 2018, 10:05 am

I
suffolk wrote:Have always loved Bewick's engravings Rats :D :tu:

I have a print taken from one of his original woodcuts Suffs. It's the Chillingham bull.Newcastle libraries were permitted to do a limited number of prints from it several years ago and Dad bought me one and framed it.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 14th, 2018, 10:09 am

Ratatouille wrote:It's the Chillingham bull

:luv:

Deep deep envy here Rats :mrgreen:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 14th, 2018, 10:54 am

Hello :wave:
Fast day here today having eaten three rich desserts at the pancake party yesterday :oops:
Must get out for exercisevtoo before it rains
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 14th, 2018, 11:06 am

Good morning everyone,
I'm having a bit of a sluggish start this morning mainly I think due to a very disrupted night. It's very stormy and something was banging in the distance and kept waking me, so I'm taking it gently while I wait for my oomph to wake up.

Scotch pancakes and jam for breakfast , I managed to get three crepes and 4 scotch pancakes from the mix so it will be pancakes again tomorrow. I really enjoyed the savoury ones last night and there is enough filling left to have with pasta tomorrow.

I'm just going to finish a :mug: then pop a venison sausage, root veg & lentil stew in the SC. I've a huge parsnip and small swede so some of these will be getting turned into a winter "slaw" with carrot, apple, celery & walnuts and a mustard,yoghurt and orange juice dressing. I'll have some of that for lunch with a couple of bits of cooked turkey breast I took out of the freezer last night and a hard boiled egg.

Back to the admin this afternoon I think :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 14th, 2018, 12:41 pm

That slaw sounds divine, ltc.

I have a gammon 'joint' boiling and will stud it with cloves, baste it with mustard and maple syrup and finish it in the oven for tonight. We'll have TK style cabbage, Bramley, celery and onion 'bake' with it.
Also got a casserole in the slow cooker ready for tea when we come home from dog training tomorrow, but just been informed there's no training this week, as it's half term!!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 14th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Oooh, I think it may be gammon this weekend SG ... you're making my mouth water :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 14th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I
suffolk wrote:Have always loved Bewick's engravings Rats :D :tu:

I have a print taken from one of his original woodcuts Suffs. It's the Chillingham bull.Newcastle libraries were permitted to do a limited number of prints from it several years ago and Dad bought me one and framed it.

What a lovely present Rats....I’m sure you will get so much pleasure from it.
We have a number of Thomas Bewick books..Bewick Gleanings, published in 1847, The History of Birds from the same time and very rare second edition, apparently rarer and more valuable than the first edition, of The History of Quadrupeds.
We love them and our children have always been fascinated by the wonderful creatures, like the ‘turnspit’ dog...and the cameleopard, or giraffe...he’d obviously never seen one!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 14th, 2018, 12:58 pm

We have cleared the loft! :shock:

I had been dreading it, but bar a trip to the tip and charity shop this afternoon we have done it. If we are serious about moving to Yorkshire permanently we realise that there will have to be some industrial downsizing. The only things to go back up there is a box of photos and two sleeping bags. It appeared that I have kept every card and keepsake from the year dot. I have been ruthless, I’ve even got rid of some of our wedding photos.......how many photos do you really need in addition to the official album?

Amongst the rubbish were an antique tennis racquet and two badminton racquets, we will be putting the tennis one in the next auction along with a silver decanter set that belonged to MIL........it’s really not to our taste, it’s been up there since she died, somehow if feels sad to let it go but who are we keeping it for?

OH has finally parted with his rucksack that he used when he worked on sheep stations in New Zealand in the 1980’s, he wanted to keep it in case any of our nieces wanted to go backpacking, I gently explained that it was so heavy in comparison to modern ones I’m not sure either of them would be able to lift it! His loss is the charity shops gain.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 14th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Sounds like a good case of Swedish Death Cleaning Bb. We went though ours last year when we had the flood and found it very cathartic.
Our questions to ourselves: when did we last use it? Will the offspring want it? Almost invariably, the answer to the latter was 'no'!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 14th, 2018, 1:13 pm

When we moved here OH flatly refused to put anything in the loft ... he said if we don't use it offer it to the children and if they don't want it get rid of it. He's stuck to his guns and I thank him for it quite regularly :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 14th, 2018, 1:41 pm

We have a similar policy but even so we were surprised, when preparing for our house move over the course of last year, as to how much we had accumulated. We're just about on first name terms with the staff at local dump. :D

I love de-junking. So cathartic.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 14th, 2018, 3:09 pm

I need to tackle the loft, but in the interests of procrastination (and safety and practicality, tbh) I think I'll get the steps fixed first. The ideal time to do it is May or June as there's good natural light up there then
Got my walk in just in time as the wind got up and it rained a bit. Finally found some snowdrops, a section of the old churchyard is carpeted in them, some petite ones and a patch of the bug cultivated ones too :)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 14th, 2018, 3:23 pm

I found that moving twice in 18 months was excellent for decluttering

Just to cheer you all up, it is a nasty wet afternoon here too

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 14th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Not a lot different to here Moira ...... except you're probably marginally warmer than us :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 14th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Back from a lovely lunch. The river looked beautiful and we enjoyed watching the dippers and a little wagtail.

One rather annoying incident - which actually was quite funny. One waiter, i think assistant manager type we haven't seen before, appeared to know the couple behind us and spent far too long talking to them. At one point we heard him say in french, obviously, that the English don't really know anything about food, wine and fine dining - but the Americans are even worse. We didn't do anything until he came with the bill when Mr R said he was sorry he didn't think we had understood what we ordered and the wine we chose to go with it. The wiaters answer was "But you aren't English , are you? I asked if that mattered and actually I am not English, but mostly Irish and Scots and therefore British.

Mr R told him he thought he had been very unprofeesional to make remarks like that and to spend so long attending to a single table and that it is a good job we were'nt restaurant critics or Michelin inspectors.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 14th, 2018, 4:40 pm

:hi5: Well said Mr Rats :tu:

Glad you had a lovely lunch :D

OH is in the kitchen .......... he is chef for this evening ............. :chef:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 14th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Quite right too, Rats, very unprofessional. Made me remember an incident in the 60s, when Dad picked up a couple of hitch hikers making their way to Anglesey. We were talking in English, but they nattered away in Welsh - about us! Mum tore a strip off them, good style, in Welsh, before we turfed them out!

I've flung the dogs (well flung lots of balls for them all!), done a bit more to a doggie pawtrait and generally kept warm!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 14th, 2018, 5:04 pm

I’ve washed everything in sight, including the dog!

Archie came in from his walk so muddy - so after a load of towels, load of mixed coloured, load of dog bedding the dog was dumped in the bath and shampooed- he has his own posh shampoo for black dogs, producing another load of dog towels. As I’d done so may loads I decided why not another and did the dog blankets from the car! It’s like a laundry in here!

BB
Busybee
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop