Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Postby cyprusmoira » January 16th, 2018, 11:09 am

Ratatouille wrote:Gruney, you buy red trousers if they float your boat. However, if you come to visit here keep them hidden because they are only worn in these parts by a certain sort of expat who has a second home, doesn't speak French, just shouts louder in English, usually with a home counties accent, and bays loudly in restaurants. The other favourite colour seems to be vibtrant mustard.

I thought that they had all migrated to Cyprus, they have colonised parts of the island "where all the tradesmen speak English"

A shipment of storage boxes has arrived from Lakeland , the kitchen cupboards will be reorganised this afternoon

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 16th, 2018, 11:24 am

:woohoo: Just had a letter from the GP saying that the 24 hour monitor reveals that my BP is 'acceptable' :bounce: :cocktail: :cocktail:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » January 16th, 2018, 11:35 am

Good morning all,

I know a wild larger than life French professor, I refer to him as sesame street Animal, he often wears his red or mustard trousers with an equally vibrant shirt & always a contrasting jumper tied around his neck, cigar in mouth, he has wild long curly hair that he constantly strokes, he moults worse than Molly so I make a conscious effort not to sit next to him on my travels unless I've packed a lint brush :lol:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » January 16th, 2018, 5:25 pm

I only watch the Railway journeys programme to see what MP will wear next. The latest combination was an emerald jacket and lemon trollies. Nearly a traffic light !!!!

Well we are En France, after a very rainy windy journey from Wildest Wiltshire yesterday, was too busy shopping to post yesterday. Mr. Z. did a fab. job of driving. I booked a departure with E'tunnel and they cancelled it saying two of the carriages were not working !!!!! :evil: We also heard that they do this when there is not enough traffic on a departure..... so we had to take a later departure..... They will be hearing from me........

Stopped at the Calais wine warehouse and sorted our wine selection and will collect it on the way back to the tunnel. If anyone is interested, during January, if you spend £300 on wine/beer with them, they will pay for your crossing/tunnel (24 hours) A very good deal and the choice is good, and they have a tasting room. Staff friendly and informative. I am presently sat, feet up with a glass of rather nice beaujolais nouveau (rose, not from the wine warehouse) before going out for supper. We had a busy day, at the local market, there was a lot of cheval, and cheval offal - very popular. I bought saus. fume, toulouse, and was given a few chunks of saus ail. Then shopping for lighting for the new build, it took 3 stores but we think we have made the right decision, the choice is nicer and different here - Thanks Daddy !

Supper last night was very tasty, recommended by our landlady Beatrice, Restaurant 'Facing The Sea', Pate de foie gras and wonderful smoked salmon with whipped cream and finely diced shallot and chive. Pate came with fig jam, 3 different breads, glad we shared a starter. We both had steak - very tender and cooked to perfection, his with poive sauce, mine with rocqefort sauce. Chips in a basket, could not finish all mine, then a mocha coffee - Mmmm, smashing bottle of wine, all eaten in a large glass conservatory being lashed by sideways rain and wind. Accom is superb and very tastefully done. http://www.chambres-haute-muraille.com/ ... omantique/ 5 mins from Gravlines but in a rural location.

Tomorrow is a day off from shopping, we are running out of space ! So may go and view the replica of an old ship they are building locally. Au revoir pour le moment..... :wave:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 16th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Sounds like a wonderful trip Zosh .... haven't done that sort of thing for a good while.

How on earth are we going to manage when we have to pay Duty on what we bring back from France? Does anyone remember those days ... how many bottles of wine and packets of ciggies were we allowed? :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 16th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Zosherooney wrote: The latest combination was an emerald jacket and lemon trollies.

how do you know what colour underwear he had on? did he have a whale tail?
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 16th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Love those sorts of restaurant Zosh

Had a successful shopping trip myself
I stupidly left my brush and comb on the dressing table in the hotel on Sunday, but remembered I'd seen the brushes for a very good price in a shop on the market Had a lovely walk down in the sunshine, got brush + comb + a hair band for less than the last brush cost
Then popped into Sainsbury for a few bits, and found they'd marked down my big porcelain pasta bowls, I'd been wondering whether to get more before they stopped doing them, so obviously I did!
Then I got a load of lovely radishes for £1 (see pickled radish thread)
Now about to make supper
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 16th, 2018, 6:02 pm

StokeySue wrote:hen popped into Sainsbury for a few bits, and found they'd marked down my big porcelain pasta bowls,

Oooh I might pop in there .....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 16th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Evening. Everyone seems to have been having interesting days! :tu: Loving the red trousers idea. Why not? Better than beige...an ex of mine would only ever wear beige trousers regardless of whatever colour his top was. I was dead excited one day when he said he wanted some new trousers. I went shopping with him and tried to steer him towards navy. No, he bought yet another pair in beige. :lol: Mind, you i think only a certain person can pull off red successfully....

Yesterday and most of today have been frustrating with my mobile phone. A Nokia Lumia (650 I think) which just would not charge. Usually charges fine in an extension lead. All of a sudden nothing, so I moved it to a main socket where my TV works fine. Dead as a doornail this morning. Moved it to the socket in the kitchen. Eight hours later, two bars. At least it's something! The model I have i have now found out has terrible battery reviews so luckily my dad has got hold of a new battery which I will receive on Saturday. I think once out of contract I'll switch provider, something I should have done years ago.

Yawning my head off already, I think because today has been exceptionally lazy, plus I just ate a huge bowl of cornflakes! Hopefully a busier day tomorrow!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » January 16th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Zosherooney wrote: Accom is superb and very tastefully done. http://www.chambres-haute-muraille.com/ ... omantique/ 5 mins from Gravlines but in a rural location.

That looks lovely Zosh. We’re looking for somewhere to overnight in the summer, near either Dover or Calais. I’ll certainly add it to the list. And a good price too. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 17th, 2018, 6:43 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, how are people surviving the snow, I heard on the radio last night of Thunder Snow :o and people stranded on the M74

Yesterday Debs old cat Blossom disappeared. Blossom,19, is in poor health, she has recently had two overnight admissions to the veterinary clinic and is still having antibiotics and steroids. She was last seen at about 12 30pm, could not be found, Deb looked in her usual nesting places, she searched again after dark by which time there was light rain. The back door was left ajar just in case. I feared the worst.
At midnight I was just about to get into bed when I heard mewing outside, called Deb and we went outside to look for Blossom. The mews were coming from the side of the house. Deb got a torch and went to look for her. I decided to be helpful and turn on the bedroom balcony light to help the search. There on the balcony was a cross cat, earlier in the day Deb had opened her balcony door to air her bedroom. Blossom had obviously gone to sleep on the sun lounger and got shut out.
The cat was waiting for me to open the back door as usual this morning

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 17th, 2018, 7:59 am

Morning all.

Good news about Blossom! What a worry these felines can be sometimes. :luv:

A heavy frost here and very strong winds today so I will be pulling my emptied wheelie bin in as soon as possible before it flies off up the road.

Today for me is D-day regarding having my benefits sanction lifted. That's what I was told would happen but I have been told so many lies up until now so it was no surprise that I couldn't sleep until I could check my bank. It seems that for once they have fulfilled their promise. My mum has been so worried about this so I text her asking if she wanted me to make us a picnic to take to the pool so that I can have a celebratory swim. It seems it could be on the cards. I feel a fog has been lifted.

Apart from that, today I need toilet roll and electricity and need to decide on a new novel to start. I have a trilogy of Louis De Berniers starting with The War Of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts which I am considering. I found Captain Correlli beautiful but hard work but I feel up for a bit of a challenge!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 17th, 2018, 8:02 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Pleased to hear all is well Moira :D Has she forgiven her humans yet?
We have no snow in Norfolk, but a very strange sky ... blue in some places with patches of very dark grey and pink cloud.
I'm hoping to play a short session of tennis this morning, if my knee behaves ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 17th, 2018, 8:07 am

Good morning wild ones. No snow for us, but I see Manchester had a covering, just about 45mins away :o So glad the cat turned up safe Moira, animals can be such a worry especially when they are getting older :luv:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 17th, 2018, 9:04 am

Gosh, if Manchester had snow no one told us! Not a flake in sight this morning, although we did have a lot of rain and hailstones yesterday and during the night.

We had auntie J’s funeral yesterday, she was carried in during a fierce hailstorm, I think she would have approved - it kind of matched her character pre Alzheimer’s. All in all, as good a funeral as can be expected when you have outlived all your contemporaries, husband and had no children.

Now, a trip to the dentist a dash over the pennine to drop the dog off with my parents and then we are off to warmer climes. As long as the expected wind abates we are off to a Gran Canaria for some sunlight, don’t really care about the temperature but I am so looking forward to blue skies and light.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 17th, 2018, 9:07 am

Good morning everyone,
I'm glad Blossom was ok Moira :)
The weather is still foul so another day where I shan't be venturing out!
The spiced chicken & lentil recipe I made last night was really tasty, I've two portions for the freezer and a "spare" chicken thigh which I'll have for lunch with some salad. Tonight I've a pork steak defrosting so I 'll have that with the extra spuds I cooked on Monday and a couple of stuffed flat mushrooms.
I started watching "A House in Time" on BBC I-player last night which I found really interesting so the second episode will take care of my TV watching today :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 17th, 2018, 9:20 am

Glad the funeral was ok Bb ... have a lovely holiday ... bring some sunshine back with you 8-)

When I've finished this :mug: I'm going to put the chicken carcass and veggies on the hob for stock and OH can supervise it while I go to tennis ... when I get back I'll make a 'sort of Cock a leekie' for supper.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 17th, 2018, 10:21 am

Good morning
Good news about Blossom :hi5:
No snow here, cold sun, but Trish posted on FB some good pics of her street in Edinburgh under snow last night
Off to the dentust soon, just a routine check up, not expecting anything much

Not sure about supper myself, too many choices I think

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 17th, 2018, 10:39 am

The clouds are mounding up in the West, it looks like rain.
We shall be having Chili Prawns for supper, I have to use frozen prawns so they need something to give then some flavour.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 17th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

We had a fun evening yesterday at our Swiss friends fondue party. Wine was taken!

It is a lovely day here, providing you don't actually have to go out in it because the mistral is absolutely howling. Unfortunately we did and the supermarket car park was a hazardous plce to be with untethered trolleys flying around.

Glad to hear that Blossom has been eturned to the fold Moira,

I hope the weather is not as bad as the forecast in the UK. Not least because DD is due to fly here on Friday WE told her it was a mad idea to plan a brief visit at this time of year but like children of all ages parents never know best.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 17th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Well, my new trousers have arrived - I'm very pleased. I went for a pair in "moss", and a pair in an adventurous shade of brown. I thought long and hard about the bright red ones - I really wanted them, but decided I'd get very limited use out of them; apart from deceiving my daughter, they would certainly have provoked less than ego boosting comments at the pub I go to. There are people there who seriously believe the capital of Poland is Walsall! See what I mean?
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 17th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Moss is a very fine shade Gruney ... and will hide a multitude of sins should you go picnicking on the greensward ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 17th, 2018, 2:33 pm

You can come to visit in safety Gruney as long as they are not the bright yellow moss that grows round here!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 17th, 2018, 3:11 pm

A quick :wave: just to catch up. I have been peeping in but too busy to chat.

Funny how one always feels so daring venturing out in new and slightly different clothes isn't it! I have a top/dress thing which I adore and think I look quite nice in but have never dared wear it anywhere as I wonder if it is a bit mutton dressed as lamb. Then I wonder why I care if it is :rolleyes: . Anyway, I bet you look smashing in your new trousers Gruney.

No snow here - glad about that but it was very cold last night. I was glad to be in the office and not one of the poor guys I was talking to on the phone working outside. They all said it was bitterly cold. The people stuck on the M74 reminded me that I usually put some warm things in the car at this time of year but haven't got round to it this year.

:hug: :hug: and :luv: :luv: to all, I'm glad that all ended happily for Blossom but have been thinking also of other Wildie cats and owners who may not be so fortunate this week. :hug: :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 17th, 2018, 4:10 pm

There is bad weather including gales forecast for Cyprus. I must get my heavy cardi out. Will there be ice on the bird bath?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 17th, 2018, 4:15 pm

We've got a very stormy sky in the west :o
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 17th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Loving the comments on brightly coloured trousers. We have some good friends who are very 'posh'. I commented to OH that the husband was the sort to wear brightly coloured trousers when he hit a certain age. We met up with them over Christmas - he was wearing red trousers :lol: I could barely look at my OH!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 17th, 2018, 7:48 pm

Ooh Gruney, are you posh?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 17th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Ooh Gruney, are you posh?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » January 17th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Just a quickie!
Less than an inch of snow where I am - living on a main road sure helps!
The wind was fierce, tho - bone-chillingly cold. So cold I had a cuppa & a couple of biccies when I got in to 'W' this mornin'! :shock:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 17th, 2018, 9:35 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Ooh Gruney, are you posh?

:lol: Yes me duck.
Last edited by Gruney on January 17th, 2018, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 17th, 2018, 9:38 pm

Last years Bristolian mayor wore traffic light trews, it was a talking point in the area !

We have had blue skies all day but a bitter horizontal wind that cut right through you. Just back from supper in Gravelines of modules et frites, mine were garlic and cream, his were curry - very good ! We shared a starter of croquette of grey shrimps and garnish, very intense flavour but glad we did not have a starter each. Planning a trip to the Coupole WW1 & 2 site tomorrow, boys and their toys ! Apparently quite moving and a good lesson in what could have been.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 18th, 2018, 6:27 am

Good Morning Wild Ones from a wet and windy Cyprus, I am rethinking my plans to visit the supermarket.

We have got to the time of year where people start giving away lemons, they will freeze :D

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 18th, 2018, 6:58 am

Good morning all ... I think :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug: :mug:
We were woken by crashes and bangs and car alarms about an hour ago ... looking out of the window we saw bins blowing down the road, crashing into cars and scattering their contents all over the place .... we pulled some clothes on and went outside and rescued them, returning now empty bins to their gardens ... we can't find our own food waste bin ... goodness knows where it's gone ........... the loft trap door keeps lifting and dropping with a bang ........ thought they'd said we weren't going to get the strong winds previously forecast ... no one told the Weather Gods it'd been cancelled and apparently half of Norfolk is without power ...... and why does it always happen on a Bin Day?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 18th, 2018, 7:24 am

Good morning wild ones. What a night :o 2.30am the wind was trying to rip the window frame out of the wall, I had to battle to close the small window. I thought it was going to be ripped off :shock: Thankfully we do not have snow, only heavy rain. I have an appointment with the nurse for bloods at 7.55am then I have food shopping to do later, I hope the rain stops.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 18th, 2018, 8:10 am

The weather has calmed down a bit here thank goodness ... OH said it was blowing a hooley for several hours but I only heard it when the car alarm went off ... think a bin slammed into it but can't see any fresh dents ... ;) ... we can't find our small black foodwaste bin anywhere ... OH says he'll go out on his bike and look for it a bit later on ...

Everyone else ok? Chinch, I bet it was a bit blowy up your way ......
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 18th, 2018, 8:49 am

Good morning,
After a wild couple of days it is very calm here this morning though still bitterly cold. Thankfully we have missed the snow again. :) If it isn't too icy underfoot I might manage to get out. But a few :mug: :mug: needed first ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 18th, 2018, 9:30 am

Goodness, not just me woken by very heavy winds at around 5am then? We have a row of conifers out front and I am surprised they are still standing. We now have lovely sunshine! What a difference. I am going to trial a walk to my swimming pool today, see how long it takes me and how many interesting things I can photograph along the way.

I got a nice and unexpected surprise last night. A neighbour, quite new to the area who I have met a couple of times in our car parking area, is going away for the weekend and has asked me if I can feed their two gorgeous kittens. Whoohoo yes please! :bounce: :luv: :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 18th, 2018, 9:59 am

Apparently we are cut off from Suffolk!!! :shock: :lol: ;) Trees and power cables are down!!! However, the wind has dropped and the sky is getting brighter .....

OH has been out and swept up detritus in the street from the blown over bins :luv: and tried to shut elderly neighbour's back gate but it's broken .... he's in his 90s and has carers in several times a day ... his daughter lives in Scotland so I'll pop a note through his door for the visiting carers to find when they come at lunch time.

A sort of northern European-style cabbage/apple/sausage concoction has been sprinkled with fennel and caraway seeds, drizzled with a little melted butter and set to chunter in the slow cooker all day and now I'll go into the studio ... OH has Ken Bruce in there so we'll have bit of Popmaster rivalry mixed with the creativity :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 18th, 2018, 10:09 am

Very windy here too :o , we were sitting in low cloud at one time. The weather was better almost a 1,000ft feet below us in Episcopi, there was fitful sun. I bought fruit and vegetables, the veg is always very good at this time of year. I got the butcher to mince some braising beef, Deb will make a Cottage Pie later, the rest will be frozen.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 18th, 2018, 10:16 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Hope everyone is safe and still attached to the ground. The mistral of yesterday blew itself out by evening and today is cold but sunny and quite calm. We are in the throes of putting the library back to rights which means me telling Mr R that he CANNOT keep every scrap of paper he has ever collected on various peoples history! In turn he says I have to downsize my collection of menus which apparently come from before we were married, not to mention my football programmes. That was until I showed him how much some of them are wroth :lol: :lol:

Tezza I know you will love looking after those kittens. just a thought. We used to have a girl living next door who started a usiness looking after pets in their own homes for people who were away.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 18th, 2018, 10:28 am

Ratatouille wrote: ... which means me telling Mr R that he CANNOT keep every scrap of paper he has ever collected on various peoples history! ...

It’s so comforting to know that I am not alone!!!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » January 18th, 2018, 11:15 am

Good morning
Sunny here, cold but not obviously windy
Slept like a log so no idwa what it was like overnight
I am not a hoarder at all, but there are probably things I could thin out
Need to get going soon
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 18th, 2018, 11:54 am

The pet minding business idea is really worth some thought! People have mentioned dog walking, but the idea of being responsible for someone else's dog with potential of other's unpredictable dogs, dogs off leads, I am not keen. I have heard horror stories, my JRT owner dad being the bearer of some, and being a keen jogger on and off I have also had many run ins with dogs, never the dog's fault, always the owner, but I've minded many pets for people in their own homes, never an issue. I've got the mobile numbers of both owners, his brother's number, their vet phone number, their email. To boot, not only has it been nice getting to know and have a cup of tea with them, they both work for recruitment agencies...... :grin:

Just spoke to my mum who was woken up by the wind this morning to find garden furniture and kid's toys strewn everywhere. There are some dodgy looking clouds up there. I am hoping they are not full of snow!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 18th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Teresa, sounds like you are networking well :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 18th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Bonjour ! Sunny but still windy here, there was rain over night but none today. We planned to view La Coupole - drove there (40 mins) and it is closed until 20th !!!! :evil: So drove to St. Omer and played at being a tourist. Then found Intermarche just outside St. Omer and could not resist. Mr. Z. read his book in the car for 30 mins ! Meandered back and found a sort of Le Routiers place and shared a plat du jour, fab. carbonnade of beef, chips and an endive salad, one small beer and two glasses of vin rouge €19.90 now relaxing with a bottle of fizz and yabbering to you lot !!! I have just remembered I need to look for old fashioned moth balls to deter the mole.......Wuzzle is still bringing them home :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 18th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Good to know Norfolk police have managed to hang onto their sense of humour http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weather/pig ... -1-5359859 :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 18th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Zosh.

You won't find mothballs in France I'm afraid I used to import them from UK!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 18th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Afternoon Wildies :wave: :luv:

Hope everyone without power is soon reconnected. We escaped lightly. My recently erected garden arch fell down but I've put it up again. That was about it... :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 18th, 2018, 2:05 pm

suffolk wrote:Good to know Norfolk police have managed to hang onto their sense of humour http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weather/pig ... -1-5359859 :lol:

:lol: Took a few moments for the hilarity of this to sink in! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop